Ft. Wilderness Cabins becoming DVC?

Admittedly I have seen campgrounds / parks with privy buildings that look like this.
…but I’ve also seen tiny homes like that too.

il_794xN.3835377455_lgkg.jpg

DSC_0286.jpg

Having passive light while still having privacy is nice, and that common root is something desirable in both privies and in tiny homes.
Clerestory lights also free up wall space for things like cabinets and Murphy beds in spaces that otherwise would be lost to regular windows.

I thought so. That screws over the long time guest who booked the cabins each year, yet do not want to be a part of DVC.
There’s currently 407 cabins available for cash bookings on 8 loops. When this thread first started and there were estimated to be ~350 DVC cabins, there was speculation of additional amenity construction contributing to a reduction in units. They already announced they’d be on the same pads, so we know it’s not because of a larger footprint per site. Now that the permit application has been filed, it’s confirmed there’s 363 units on the application.

Loop 2100 (& 2200, but I’m guessing this is about 2100) has exactly 44 units, which is the difference between the current cabin total and the DVC total. While I have not seen it confirmed, it’s possible that Disney is keeping the loop closest to Pioneer Hall exclusively for cash bookings, in addition to breakage and their legal minimum retained (undeclared) percentage in the DVC cabins.
*Edit Whoops, I guess the 2100 cabins went away during COVID and the 363 are just straight replacement for all current cash cabins*

So there will still be cash bookings (non-DVC). And more likely than not the points chart will be such that even renting at $20*pp from DVC owners who make 11mo reservations for hard to get weeks, it could well be cheaper booked that way than it currently is. It’s only ~11% of the cabins but I’m hoping for you that option will still stick around.

Last edited:
I thought so. That screws over the long time guest who booked the cabins each year, yet do not want to be a part of DVC.
Just to ask... If you KNOW that you are going to go to the cabins each year (or heck, even every other year), and they become part of DVC, why would you still want to book them on cash and not purchase into DVC?

I cannot see any way that it would work out better by renting cash through Reservations, or they'd never sell any DVC points...

There’s currently 407 cabins available for cash bookings on 8 loops. When this thread first started and there were estimated to be ~350 DVC cabins, there was speculation of additional amenity construction contributing to a reduction in units. They already announced they’d be on the same pads, so we know it’s not because of a larger footprint pee site. Now that the permit application has been filed, it’s confirmed there’s 363 units on the application.

Loop 2100 (& 2200, but I’m guessing this is about 2100) has exactly 44 units, which is the difference between the current cabin total and the DVC total. While I have not seen it confirmed, it’s possible that Disney is keeping the loop closest to Pioneer Hall exclusively for cash bookings, in addition to breakage and their legal minimum retained (undeclared) percentage in the DVC cabins.

So there will still be cash bookings (non-DVC). And more likely than not the points chart will be such that even renting at $20*pp from DVC owners who make 11mo reservations for hard to get weeks, it could well be cheaper booked that way than it currently is. It’s only ~11% of the cabins but I’m hoping for you that option will still stick around.
They took the cabins out of 2100 loop several years back and converted that loop back to camp sites.

The cabins close to Pioneer Hall are the 2 in 100 loop. I’ve heard that they will stay as they are, but we will see what Disney decides.

They took the cabins out of 2100 loop several years back and converted that loop back to camp sites.
I believe that’s where the cabin I posted upthread came from. If you look at the pics, it’s one of the post-2016 (call them “refurb”) cabins, and not one of the original ones that were swapped out when they were all upgraded.

Just to ask... If you KNOW that you are going to go to the cabins each year (or heck, even every other year), and they become part of DVC, why would you still want to book them on cash and not purchase into DVC?
Because of the buy-in cost? To wit: the burgeoning DVC financing market. Then there's the annual dues cost.

Because of the buy-in cost? To wit: the burgeoning DVC financing market. Then there's the annual dues cost.
OK, but if they are truly going every year, or every other year, and paying cash, it will be cheaper to purchase a DVC point contract. Otherwise, they'd never sell any DVC contracts.

OK, but if they are truly going every year, or every other year, and paying cash, it will be cheaper to purchase a DVC point contract. Otherwise, they'd never sell any DVC contracts.
It's the same reason people buy toothpaste on an as-needed basis at Dollar Tree instead of Costco. They don't want to buy using credit cards. Cash flow.

DVC sells plenty of contracts to cash and finance customers.

It's the same reason people buy toothpaste on an as-needed basis at Dollar Tree instead of Costco. They don't want to buy using credit cards. Cash flow.

DVC sells plenty of contracts to cash and finance customers.
Again, I get that. But if you are truly staying in these cabins each year, your cash flow is going to be much more negative by using cash reservations instead of purchasing DVC.

I totally agree that DVC is not for everyone, but the PP stated they stayed in these cabins EACH YEAR. It won't take many years to recoup that initial purchase cost. If they were just staying occasionally or just stayed at value properties, then yes, it wouldn't make sense. However, if you truly stayed at these cabins every year DVC makes financial sense.

If anything, if they offer fixed weeks, this would actually be a big plus to those who go every year as you could select your Halloween or Christmas week and just have it. You wouldn't have to be up early in the morning right when central reservations open...

Again, I get that. But if you are truly staying in these cabins each year, your cash flow is going to be much more negative by using cash reservations instead of purchasing DVC.
You say you get it, but then still argue that making financial sense (which it does) is the only factor in determining whether or not to buy DVC. Some people don't want to spend money they don't have (or don't want to tie up in DVC), to prepay their vacations.

I believe that’s where the cabin I posted upthread came from. If you look at the pics, it’s one of the post-2016 (call them “refurb”) cabins, and not one of the original ones that were swapped out when they were all upgraded.
Yep, I only posted because Mikey15 was under the impression that loop 2100 still has cabins.

But if you are truly staying in these cabins each year, your cash flow is going to be much more negative by using cash reservations instead of purchasing DVC.
Your cash flow is not going to be in the black for many years, even though the net value can be positive relatively quickly.

If you don't have five figures of spare change in your couch (or davenport, for those of you from the upper midwest) then "just buy DVC" isn't nearly as helpful.

Your cash flow is not going to be in the black for many years, even though the net value can be positive relatively quickly.

If you don't have five figures of spare change in your couch (or davenport, for those of you from the upper midwest) then "just buy DVC" isn't nearly as helpful.
Additionally, not everyone wants that level of commitment in order to have the freedom to not Disney after a handful of years depending on stages of life.

Additionally, not everyone wants that level of commitment in order to have the freedom to not Disney after a handful of years depending on stages of life.
Agree with both of you.

However, this particular post stated it was bad for someone that went “each year”.

I would posit that yes, if someone wanted to stay at the Poly, for instance, you could definitely book it year after year via cash. My point was that if you are truly staying there year after year (and that is your plan), then DVC makes sense. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have sold any points at the Poly when they converted some of the longhouses to DVC.

Agree with both of you.

However, this particular post stated it was bad for someone that went “each year”.

I would posit that yes, if someone wanted to stay at the Poly, for instance, you could definitely book it year after year via cash. My point was that if you are truly staying there year after year (and that is your plan), then DVC makes sense. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have sold any points at the Poly when they converted some of the longhouses to DVC.
Sure. I just took that comment a little less literal than a lifetime commitment every year 😀

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter