Ft. Wilderness Cabins becoming DVC?

How many fixed weeks can Disney sell for Halloween?
Around a third. And the same fixed week won’t always cover Halloween. Outside of Disney RUN events I think Fixed weeks are only Sat to Sat.

Reactions: ehh
Around a third. And the same fixed week won’t always cover Halloween. Outside of Disney RUN events I think Fixed weeks are only Sat to Sat.
Just to refine this a bit more:
  • Up to 35% of a room category's weekly inventory may be sold as a fixed week
  • I believe there is no holiday that is covered every year by a single fixed week
  • It's Sunday to Sunday

Just to refine this a bit more:
  • Up to 35% of a room category's weekly inventory may be sold as a fixed week
  • I believe there is no holiday that is covered every year by a single fixed week
  • It's Sunday to Sunday

ehh is correct.

From what I’ve been able to put together, the fixed week seems to normally go in a six year cycle. (Leap years could mess it up sometimes)

During the six years coming up (2024-2029), Halloween would be in week 43 for 3 years, and week 44 for 2 years. On the other year, in the middle, Halloween is on a Sunday, so it’s the checkout day for week 43 and the check in day for week 44.

Thanks to those who pointed out to me that the 2100 loop was already devoid of cabins! Whoops…

Here I was thinking “at least Week 52 should always be New Years” but apparently there can be a “Week 53” if Week 1 starts New Years Day (or even Jan 2 in a leap year like 2028).

Do Weeks-based timeshares just get a free cash booking week when a check-in-day Week 53 happens?

It won’t matter what kind of point chart or incentives DVC offers. Until we figure out if amenities are separated from the regular camping guests, we won’t be buying.

We have camped at FW plenty of times ……ranging from 3-6 weeks PER trip. I can tell you that you “learn things” while hanging around that long. The majority of FW campers spend very little time in the park. They instead, take advantage of resort offerings …… that’s fine And completely legal. In addition, you are allowed 10 people on each site. We have witnessed close to 20 people on a single site during the Christmas holiday! They were locals and came for only the weekend. FW staff did nothing, as they were probably checked out by the time it was reported.

How long before Campers are utilizing the DVC laundry area because it’s free, instead of paying per load in the camping loops? Almost everyone has a golf cart.

How long before they start using the nicer DVC pool (assuming they upgrade the pool)? Everyone knows you just follow someone else through the gate in order to gain access. Again …. almost everyone has a golf cart.

In the past you’d see fewer golf carts out at the cabins than in the camping loops. With the assumed increase in disposable income from DVC members, you’ll probably see more golf carts. There is already a huge problem with parking up at Pioneer Hall. They would be wise to build a golf cart parking structure!

There will need to be clear delineation between DVC and regular campers (regardless of point chart) before we would look at it. Now ….. if the point chart ends up being 1/2 of a 1 bedroom elsewhere on property, then it would make sense!
You do know that at properties that are not all DVC (BC, WL, Poly) all guests of the resort can use all the pools. The Boulder Ridge pool, known as the DVC pool, can be used by any WL guest. And the DVC laundry facilities are locked, you need to use your key/MB to open the door. Regular guests have a separate facility.

Do Weeks-based timeshares just get a free cash booking week when a check-in-day Week 53 happens?
It depends on how the rules are written. Sometimes Week 52 owners are able to also get 53 as well by paying a second maintenance fee, but they don't have to. There are other possibilities.

There’s currently 407 cabins available for cash bookings on 8 loops. When this thread first started and there were estimated to be ~350 DVC cabins, there was speculation of additional amenity construction contributing to a reduction in units. They already announced they’d be on the same pads, so we know it’s not because of a larger footprint per site. Now that the permit application has been filed, it’s confirmed there’s 363 units on the application.

Loop 2100 (& 2200, but I’m guessing this is about 2100) has exactly 44 units, which is the difference between the current cabin total and the DVC total. While I have not seen it confirmed, it’s possible that Disney is keeping the loop closest to Pioneer Hall exclusively for cash bookings, in addition to breakage and their legal minimum retained (undeclared) percentage in the DVC cabins.
*Edit Whoops, I guess the 2100 cabins went away during COVID and the 363 are just straight replacement for all current cash cabins*

So there will still be cash bookings (non-DVC). And more likely than not the points chart will be such that even renting at $20*pp from DVC owners who make 11mo reservations for hard to get weeks, it could well be cheaper booked that way than it currently is. It’s only ~11% of the cabins but I’m hoping for you that option will still stick around.

I don’t think they ever stayed in a cabin, it’s not in their signature. It’s just to ask…

From the previous page,

yep the 2100 loop cabins (if you include them are over 400+ cabins at the Fort) were removed less than 10 years ago.

2100 loop had originally been built as a camping loop and a couple years later got cabins same as 2200-2800 loops. But given the booking percentage of cabin loops versus camping loops, the remaining infrastructure in 2100 meant that loop could be converted BACK to campsites and make MORE money for Disney.

I took pix of empty sites as the 2100 cabins were being pulled out. This was March 2016.

Note the Utility Stump on the right side from the original campsite setup.

All things return to their norm, no? Let's see what the Fort DVC cabins charts will be.

Bama Ed

It won’t matter what kind of point chart or incentives DVC offers. Until we figure out if amenities are separated from the regular camping guests, we won’t be buying.

We have camped at FW plenty of times ……ranging from 3-6 weeks PER trip. I can tell you that you “learn things” while hanging around that long. The majority of FW campers spend very little time in the park. They instead, take advantage of resort offerings …… that’s fine And completely legal. In addition, you are allowed 10 people on each site. We have witnessed close to 20 people on a single site during the Christmas holiday! They were locals and came for only the weekend. FW staff did nothing, as they were probably checked out by the time it was reported.

How long before Campers are utilizing the DVC laundry area because it’s free, instead of paying per load in the camping loops? Almost everyone has a golf cart.

How long before they start using the nicer DVC pool (assuming they upgrade the pool)? Everyone knows you just follow someone else through the gate in order to gain access. Again …. almost everyone has a golf cart.

In the past you’d see fewer golf carts out at the cabins than in the camping loops. With the assumed increase in disposable income from DVC members, you’ll probably see more golf carts. There is already a huge problem with parking up at Pioneer Hall. They would be wise to build a golf cart parking structure!

There will need to be clear delineation between DVC and regular campers (regardless of point chart) before we would look at it. Now ….. if the point chart ends up being 1/2 of a 1 bedroom elsewhere on property, then it would make sense!

Wow. I am sad about this post. Going in order from above ....

Yes, Fort guests spend fewer days in the parks because we're not stuck inside the small walls of a resort room. My room at my campsite is as big as the all outdoors.

Not sure how many of your 20 people on a site were day visitors. Locals love to come in and visit their friends at the Fort and you did not claim anyone was violating any rules. Although granted I have seen a deep freezer dropped on a site that had about 10 guests overnight. But there WERE 10 or less at night (or else you would have followed the rules and registered a complaint?). So your point is that EVERYONE loves to be at the Fort? Duh. Should we limit DVC visitors? Sounds like you want to limit visitors.

DVC cabins better have a stackable laundry in the cabins themselves or else the DVC folks will be in the camper laundry rooms trying to pay for available washers/dryers because if not in the cabins then the "free" DVC laundry machines will be few and far between most likely.

Golf carts are overrated. And not needed because the Fort is less than a mile end-to-end.

You think Disney is going to build 'Storm Along Bay 2' at the Fort? We campers already have to fuss at Fort management to keep folks out of the Meadows Pool.

The current RV/camper folks won't be too pleased overall with DVC cabins at the Fort. RV/camper folks have all the flexibility to go anywhere, take their 'home from home' with them at any time, and travel anywhere they can drive to. DVC folks can only go to WDW (or trade their points at a disadvantage thru DVC outside the network). My trailer is my resort at Disney, my condo at the beach, and my cabin in the mountains. All on short notice.

I agree with @bianca that a clear delineation is needed between DVC and us regular campers. We campers already have resort folks, DVC folks, off-site folks, and local folks wanting to enjoy the benefits of the Fort Wilderness resort with us camper/cabin guests. Those folks tend to swarm the Fort during periods like now around Halloween which means having to limit outside visitors. Sure, whoever buys/pays for a Fort stay is entitled to the benefits and we can all abide by the rules of the resort going forward, no?

So let the record show I agree above with everything @bianca said. I suggest we wait to see what a Fort cabin DVC is about and how it and the campground will work together.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Except at BLT.
Only DVC guests staying at BLT can use its pool.
The DVC guests can also use the Contemporary pool, but the Contemporary guests cannot use the BLT pool.
I am aware. BLT is basically its own hotel, it has a separate check in desk and is strictly DVC rooms (though I do know some can be rented for cash). Poly, WL, BC have both DVC and non DVC accommodations and all share the same front desk. FW will, in all likelihood, be the same.

I am aware. BLT is basically its own hotel, it has a separate check in desk and is strictly DVC rooms (though I do know some can be rented for cash). Poly, WL, BC have both DVC and non DVC accommodations and all share the same front desk. FW will, in all likelihood, be the same.

The point is that we can’t know what DVC facilities access will or will not be available to non-DVC guests, as it will be defined by the contract between the DVC side of the resort and the hotel side of the resort. That hasn’t been written yet. It can, and has, been written differently in the past. The final decisions will not be determined by whether or not they share the check in desk. It will mostly consist of which things both sides want to share expenses on, and which things they don’t. Because of the isolation of the cabin areas from the rest of the campground, it is possible that the non-DVC side will not want to help pay for a DVC pool that is not convenient to get to for the rest of the campers.

We own a couple of weeks in a timeshare in Hawaii. They're old-fashioned deeded weeks, not part of any points system, and they "float," meaning we can book any week within a certain part of the year. We usually book weeks 51 and 52. A few years ago there was a week 53 in the calendar, and we received an extra week for each week we owned, so we had 4 weeks to use (or exchange) instead of just 2. We didn't have to pay any extra dues, either.

We own a couple of weeks in a timeshare in Hawaii. They're old-fashioned deeded weeks, not part of any points system, and they "float," meaning we can book any week within a certain part of the year. We usually book weeks 51 and 52. A few years ago there was a week 53 in the calendar, and we received an extra week for each week we owned, so we had 4 weeks to use (or exchange) instead of just 2. We didn't have to pay any extra dues, either.
Wow, what a deal!

We're Weeks 44 and 45 with ours, so we're past Halloween a lot of the time, including this year, but occasionally straddle it. We're floating like you anyway so we could book 43-44 when we really want to.

Last year I believe 44 got us Halloween, so got to bookend the trip with a WDW Halloween Party and a Christmas Party!

Wow. I am sad about this post. Going in order from above ....

Yes, Fort guests spend fewer days in the parks because we're not stuck inside the small walls of a resort room. My room at my campsite is as big as the all outdoors.

Not sure how many of your 20 people on a site were day visitors. Locals love to come in and visit their friends at the Fort and you did not claim anyone was violating any rules. Although granted I have seen a deep freezer dropped on a site that had about 10 guests overnight. But there WERE 10 or less at night (or else you would have followed the rules and registered a complaint?). So your point is that EVERYONE loves to be at the Fort? Duh. Should we limit DVC visitors? Sounds like you want to limit visitors.

DVC cabins better have a stackable laundry in the cabins themselves or else the DVC folks will be in the camper laundry rooms trying to pay for available washers/dryers because if not in the cabins then the "free" DVC laundry machines will be few and far between most likely.

Golf carts are overrated. And not needed because the Fort is less than a mile end-to-end.

You think Disney is going to build 'Storm Along Bay 2' at the Fort? We campers already have to fuss at Fort management to keep folks out of the Meadows Pool.

The current RV/camper folks won't be too pleased overall with DVC cabins at the Fort. RV/camper folks have all the flexibility to go anywhere, take their 'home from home' with them at any time, and travel anywhere they can drive to. DVC folks can only go to WDW (or trade their points at a disadvantage thru DVC outside the network). My trailer is my resort at Disney, my condo at the beach, and my cabin in the mountains. All on short notice.

I agree with @bianca that a clear delineation is needed between DVC and us regular campers. We campers already have resort folks, DVC folks, off-site folks, and local folks wanting to enjoy the benefits of the Fort Wilderness resort with us camper/cabin guests. Those folks tend to swarm the Fort during periods like now around Halloween which means having to limit outside visitors. Sure, whoever buys/pays for a Fort stay is entitled to the benefits and we can all abide by the rules of the resort going forward, no?

So let the record show I agree above with everything @bianca said. I suggest we wait to see what a Fort cabin DVC is about and how it and the campground will work together.

Bama Ed
Folks really pool hop to that pool? I wouldn't have expected that.

Folks really pool hop to that pool? I wouldn't have expected that.
A lot of locals like to use the Meadows Pool as there is a covered pavilion with picnic tables and a couple of bbq grills. The tennis courts are also right there and a playground too.

I have seen people get on the Fort’s internal bus from the Outpost parking lot with coolers and bags ready to have a party. They treat it like a public park.

A lot of locals like to use the Meadows Pool as there is a covered pavilion with picnic tables and a couple of bbq grills. The tennis courts are also right there and a playground too.

I have seen people get on the Fort’s internal bus from the Outpost parking lot with coolers and bags ready to have a party. They treat it like a public park.
Wow, that's just wrong!

The Cabins will become the 16th 17th DVC property, ahead of Poly Tower. I'm guessing Spring of 2024?

twitter_a08f78ee2be6488320e10f52c3064028.jpeg

Edit: Thanks @Sandisw

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter