Ft. Wilderness Cabins becoming DVC?

I think the sweet spot for this resort would be prices starting at 13pt/n. Sept would have 13/16 weekend combo and the resort could be sold as 100p being theoretically enough for a week. 150p being the upsell to get in almost any week except Christmas/Easter +\- Halloween/thanksgiving. Plus to get blue card status and discounts starting I just see that as a great sales strategy. Everyone would come in discussing 100p and leave with 150.

It would place it just below Poly Studios and sort of midway between classic resorts studios / 1bedroom costs.

So that for sure means they start it at 20p/n and this thing has availability constantly.

So that for sure means they start it at 20p/n and this thing has availability constantly.
:)

You are probably correct. They are very unique on property tho, so there will always be some demand. I just don't think it will come from existing DVCers as much as when other new resorts opened. Maybe it will pull in a lot of new members; maybe that is the strategy.

These have a similar layout to Cedar Points cabins and lakeside cottages.

Cedar Point does have a deluxe cabin with two bathrooms and a Being John Malkovich type loft, which if the DVC cabins had the melts would have been comical.

Let’s face it. They’re marketing these to the same kind of person who’ve always rented these for cash. They didn’t have a problem keeping them filled that way, and they’re now going to attract a whole new kind of DVC member who’ll probably book these pretty solid before the 7-month window opens, once things get established, that is.

Let’s face it. They’re marketing these to the same kind of person who’ve always rented these for cash. They didn’t have a problem keeping them filled that way, and they’re now going to attract a whole new kind of DVC member who’ll probably book these pretty solid before the 7-month window opens, once things get established, that is.
This. For both CFW and the potential for a trust ownership option it would be a mistake to view them through the lens of a current DVC owner as they are fundamentally different products than what DVC has offered before and there's a reason that we're owners with the current resorts in the current system. That's not to say that some DVC owners won't jump at paying a premium for the privacy and noise isolation of a detached building, but it's still something quite different from most of the other offerings.

This. For both CFW and the potential for a trust ownership option it would be a mistake to view them through the lens of a current DVC owner as they are fundamentally different products than what DVC has offered before and there's a reason that we're owners with the current resorts in the current system. That's not to say that some DVC owners won't jump at paying a premium for the privacy and noise isolation of a detached building, but it's still something quite different from most of the other offerings.
Yes. These are not CCV cabins or PVB Bungalows.

I'm unsure how retail only locations (like settlement posts) and dining only locations are funded at any resort.
Retail and restaurant space is carved out of the resort as “commercial space,” so DVC owners don’t pay to maintain or operate them, nor do they benefit from any profits those spaces might generate. Hoop Dee Doo will be just like TOTWL, Topolino’s, etc.: no effect on dues.

Bingo! You just made me understand why we're not getting a washer/dryer, not doing away with the bunk beds, not changing the kitchen amenities. They don't really care about the current members, who've gotten used to all these things. They want new members, who've never had a washer/dryer on vacation in a 1 Bedroom (which is what they're calling these). But what I'm concerned about is availability everywhere else getting tighter as these new members decide they want to try other DVC properties. But now I see the thinking of DVC management better. (I'm singing "I Can See Clearly, Now" in my mind).
The only thing I still don't understand is that when this was all first announced by DVC many months ago, didn't they promise a new, improved swimming pool? What's happened to that?

Bingo! You just made me understand why we're not getting a washer/dryer, not doing away with the bunk beds, not changing the kitchen amenities. They don't really care about the current members, who've gotten used to all these things. They want new members, who've never had a washer/dryer on vacation in a 1 Bedroom (which is what they're calling these). But what I'm concerned about is availability everywhere else getting tighter as these new members decide they want to try other DVC properties. But now I see the thinking of DVC management better. (I'm singing "I Can See Clearly, Now" in my mind).
It’ll likely be the same as when any new property comes online. I suspect these owners won’t have as many points to play around with for more deluxe properties, especially if the points requirements for these are lower, as many have predicted.

Retail and restaurant space is carved out of the resort as “commercial space,” so DVC owners don’t pay to maintain or operate them, nor do they benefit from any profits those spaces might generate. Hoop Dee Doo will be just like TOTWL, Topolino’s, etc.: no effect on dues.
That makes sense! Thanks.

I'm sure Disney would like to be marketable to all buyers.
As a current DVC owner I was interested in owning but am not really very interested right now after seeing the room layout, lack of W/D and no full stove leave this place a little wanting. Even the old cabins had a full stove. The cabins are okay but there are better options for large families.

I might be able to overlook all the disappointments if there was a good reason to buy in like

1) Buy in price was what they are asking now fo new DVC with guaranteed low dues about,$3-$5 per point, especially since it has been pointed out the campground ran without them before and there seem to be no improvements other than updated cabins and if the cabins point chart is similar to 1 bedroom value at AK. I could then use the points at the cabins or at 7 months out, if I buy a lot. It could potentially be more valuable than my Saratoga points.

2) If they sell the points at the current DVC rate with high dues, it would need to included a massive perk like lifetime tickets/APs for those whose names are on the contract.

I think even new owners, particularly the ones who would pay cash for the cabins, would need to see an economical value to buying into DVC. Liking the cabins in itself will not be enough because cash buyers like the "no strings attached approach to Disney" so DVC would have to make sense enough to take on a "risk".

I think for how ~I~ would want to use an accommodation like this, I’d probably prefer the SSR treehouses in every way. But while the treehouses are bigger and have the things people say are missing from the CFW cabins, they also have a 40-50pt/night point chart.

Napkin math, even spending half as much per resale point purchased for 300pts at SSR, it’d still be about the same upfront purchase price as 150 direct at CFW. And then you’re paying dues on 300 SSR points instead of 150 CFW points. (Probably twice as much cash per year for MF to stay in a treehouse compared to a FW cabin, depending on where the points charts fall.)

I guess what I’m saying is accommodation already exists at Disney that fixes what people are saying is “wrong” with what we’ve seen of CFW so far. But CFW is likely to be much “cheaper” than the Cadillac cabin some are asking for, even buying direct.

I love rustic woodsy type accommodations and have stayed at many over the years in places like upstate NY, Vermont, etc. and I've seen videos of the FW area when it's all decorated for Halloween or Christmas and they have their parades and it looks like such a fun community to be a part of but that being said...

I'm never going to go to Disney World to "camp". I'm just not. I know many others will. But being in Disney I want to stay in the Polynesian, or the Boardwalk, or the Beach club, or Animal Kingdom, or Grand Floridian. Being just a resale plebe (although with a decent amount of points now) I'm ok with this being restricted. Would I like to try Riv? Sure. But I love all the other resorts so much I can get over it. I know the people who stay here are an extremely fanatical bunch that love it and more power to them for being such a cool community but yeah...restrict away I'm a resale owner who is very ok with it!

So are these to be considered Deluxe Accommodations now ? Because of the DVC tag ?
Well, (unpopular opinion alert), I already think they have a moderate DVC at OKW. Yes, they have full kitchens, and yes they have big rooms, but if you had someone stand outside an OKW building and then walk around the property and all of the common area amenities and dining locations, then took them over to CBR, they'd tell you CBR was the better resort.

Well, (unpopular opinion alert), I already think they have a moderate DVC at OKW. Yes, they have full kitchens, and yes they have big rooms, but if you had someone stand outside an OKW building and then walk around the property and all of the common area amenities and dining locations, then took them over to CBR, they'd tell you CBR was the better resort.
Your right ! Thats an unpopular opinion. OKW is a beautiful resort with spacious accommodations right near EPCOT. Its also the heart of DVC as its the first resort.

Your right ! Thats an unpopular opinion. OKW is a beautiful resort with spacious accommodations right near EPCOT. Its also the heart of DVC as its the first resort.
All of which has nothing to do with the fact that it has very little in common with any of the newer DVC resorts. I never said it wasn't nice, or that the location isn't great. The point remains that, amenity-wise, OKW has nothing on several moderate resorts, including CBR, POFQ, and CSR, and it's appearance and location aren't what make it "deluxe". Heck, CBR is on the Skyliner, is connected to two theme parks, and has twice the food locations. If you take away the size of the rooms and the kitchens, it doesn't have anything on most of the moderates that would distinguish it as "deluxe".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter