Ft. Wilderness Cabins becoming DVC?

I expect DVD is expecting the "some units can accept dogs" to be enough reason for some folks to buy into the Cabins.

I agree - no W/D and bunks in the main bedroom is a dealbreaker for me, but I'm not an "outdoorsy" person - so this will be a hard no for us!

No w/d and bedroom bunks is exactly how it exists now. 🤷

ETA: That said, I do believe not includinga w/d comes across as a cost saving measure (costs of machines + maintenence), and that they could have put a w/d where the second vanity will be.

Last edited:
See how they pull this off. Think they need something similar to OKW-near hospitality house, type category, with preferred location loops to make priority booking needed for something. Otherwise why purchase. I’m predicting plenty of availability at 7 months.

I’m predicting plenty of availability at 7 months.
Absolutely. It's about as many Poly studios exists so take that many rooms to fill, move them away from Polynesian (location, ease to parks) to Fort Wilderness (more difficult to get to any park), require that many have a car or pay for a golf cart, and charge more points than a Poly studio... The cabins should fill slower than historical Poly studio booking patterns, and those are usually available at 7 months.

I confess I was hoping DVC would be more creative in the layout of the cabin itself, and take the bunks OUT of the Master Bedroom. A lot of camping cabins around here have done so, and created this super tiny room that's basically just big enough for the bunks to separate parents and kids from the main living space.

I get the extra vanity is probably trying to solve the "one bathroom for 6 people" issue, but I'd rather have had a W/D in the cabin, as well as full stove.

Also, as I received the promo email and have gone to the website to read up on it, it makes me a little concerned they are toting all the amenities of FW as part of the ownership -- are owners going to pay for Hoop de Doo costs/maintenance, for example? I was hoping dues would be on the lower side since they are not adding ANY new amenities for the DVC "side," but now I suspect that making this DVC is to have owners pay for a good chunk of all the maintenance costs for FW as a whole.

I'm definitely still interested, if the point charts are right, but we also just might rely on the 7-month window. $227/point is already more than I'd really want to spend, though, especially considering they got rid of most of the theming of the cabins, too.

Will wait and see what cost, dues, and point charts look at. I think we'll stay here, but we might not own here, alas.

Respectfully...they're glorified mobile home trailers that sleep 6. Most of what has been revealed is consistent with the existing cabins. They were never meant to compete with something high-end like the Copper Creek cabins.

I'm expecting the point charts to be correspondingly low. Like, lower than a One Bedroom at many locations. They should be quite economical for people who are comfortable with the current cabin living situation.

If you want 1000+ sq ft, W/D, private bedrooms and multiple bathrooms, there are other options.

The issue I'm thinking will be that all the direct buyers will be filling up the other 14 resorts at 7 months because at the end of the day they won't "prefer" the cabin they bought into
Also with the bunk beds like doesn’t that become an issue once the kids are older? My kids aren’t going to want to sleep in a bunk bed forever as cool as it sounds to them at 5 years old. I don’t think either of us will want to be sleeping next to each other later on as well. Seems good for like the first 10 years of a young family maybe but after that less ideal. With the lack of w/d, non ideal location and the room set up I hope the point charts are priced appropriately but I won’t hold my breath.

Respectfully...they're glorified mobile home trailers that sleep 6. Most of what has been revealed is consistent with the existing cabins. They were never meant to compete with something high-end like the Copper Creek cabins.

I'm expecting the point charts to be correspondingly low. Like, lower than a One Bedroom at many locations. They should be quite economical for people who are comfortable with the current cabin living situation.

If you want 1000+ sq ft, W/D, private bedrooms and multiple bathrooms, there are other options.
Oh, I don't disagree, but there are camping cabin layouts that provide a little more privacy. The bunks aren't necessarily a deal-breaker for me, but my adult children might not want to share a room with their parents either, let alone stay in a bunk bed. If there had also been a single bed in the living room, this would work better for our family long term. As an example of cabins around here:

1702493974736.png

The issue I'm thinking will be that all the direct buyers will be filling up the other 14 resorts at 7 months because at the end of the day they won't "prefer" the cabin they bought into
The same argument follows every resort addition.

When Poly and the cabins are added, there will be about 6500 DVC villas at WDW alone. Add another ~1000-1500 for Vero, HHI, Aulani and California. If all 360 cabins are added to DVC, they will represent about 5-6% of all DVC accommodations. Plenty of non-owners will want to stay there. It's not going to cause a radical shift in availability.

I think the dogs will be a huge staying point & the bunkbeds aren't a deal breaker for us while the kids are young. But like many stated on here - that potential $227 price point isn't ideal with half of a kitchen, no w/d and current dining choices. The points per night and ADs may change my mind 🤔

I really needed some entertaining reading this morning, and between the forums here and the various Facebook pages, I've got just that.

Of all the people complaining:

50% don't like the fact that the "cabins" don't look "cabiny enough" and aren't rugged and rustic (and that "pink" sofa).

50% are complaining that they don't have a full kitchen, an oven, a washer and dryer, are too cramped, etc. About the only thing they haven't mentioned is the lack of a bidet...

100% don't have to buy a single point there, as no one has a gun to their head.

You can't write better comedy.

I confess I was hoping DVC would be more creative in the layout of the cabin itself, and take the bunks OUT of the Master Bedroom. A lot of camping cabins around here have done so, and created this super tiny room that's basically just big enough for the bunks to separate parents and kids from the main living space.
I see what you're saying about super tiny room for bunks, but that room would still need walk around space between the bunk and wall, and the main bedroom would need walk around space, and having both is duplicative. When in the same room the bed walk around space is shared as bunk walk around space. To need two spaces would have shortened the living room/kitchen by about 3.5 feet. Alternatively, one side of the main bed could be pushed up against the wall like in the existing cabin, but that layout wasn't well liked.

I get the extra vanity is probably trying to solve the "one bathroom for 6 people" issue, but I'd rather have had a W/D in the cabin, as well as full stove.
Agree!

Also, as I received the promo email and have gone to the website to read up on it, it makes me a little concerned they are toting all the amenities of FW as part of the ownership -- are owners going to pay for Hoop de Doo costs/maintenance, for example? I was hoping dues would be on the lower side since they are not adding ANY new amenities for the DVC "side," but now I suspect that making this DVC is to have owners pay for a good chunk of all the maintenance costs for FW as a whole.
Yes, it's part of the main FW resort and there are shared costs for busses, boats to MK, Meadows pools and recreation areas, Movies Under the Stars, security, etc. I'm unsure how retail only locations (like settlement posts) and dining only locations are funded at any resort. It wouldn't surprise me to see a disproportionate bit put on DVC because we don't really know the true costs to complain (I think high Riviera skyline costs is like this, as it feels high but we don't know what other resorts and parks pay for it to know if Riviera is being used).

Are these still 12' wide?

Cabins are awesome as is, albeit not as reasonably priced as they used to be. But they are cramped, *really* cramped if you fill the place up with six, compared to any other DVC property. They are roughly 150-350 square feet smaller than any other 1br villa at WDW.

Seems like a tough sell at DVC costs/expectations for what will amount to just a facelift on what's already there.

Oh, I don't disagree, but there are camping cabin layouts that provide a little more privacy. The bunks aren't necessarily a deal-breaker for me, but my adult children might not want to share a room with their parents either, let alone stay in a bunk bed. If there had also been a single bed in the living room, this would work better for our family long term. As an example of cabins around here:

View attachment 817488
My wife and I remodeled our 750 sq. ft. cabin in the NC mountains almost exactly to this floor plan. Except we added a 2nd full bath for the master :) kids on one end of the cabin, adults on the other.

Amen. I'm expecting something on low end one bedroom. They *should* be priced no higher than a Jambo value but I'm braced for some point inflation.

Are these still 12' wide?

Cabins are awesome as is, albeit not as reasonably priced as they used to be. But they are cramped, *really* cramped if you fill the place up with six, compared to any other DVC property. They are roughly 150-350 square feet smaller than any other 1br villa at WDW.

Seems like a tough sell at DVC costs/expectations for what will amount to just a facelift on what's already there.
Yeah, they're hauled in some sizes are limited. They're about 500 square feet. The Jambo values are 629 and then CCV is 675 and everything else is at least 714.

From another thread: https://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-villas-room-sizes-by-resort.3819255/

But yeah, at the size it is sacrifices had to be made. I don't love the bathroom location but how the room is laid out 100% maximizes available space by removing dead wasted space like hallways, so they deserve credit for that.

Anyway, the size ans remote location are largely why Disney *should* put in the low end of point charts for one bedrooms. If they do go low the sell is a little easier: "get into a MK one bedroom room for fewer points than any other DVC resort on property."

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter