Ft. Wilderness Cabins becoming DVC?

No filings on Poly2. Since these filings tend to happen 9-10 months before opening, we may not see anything for another 3 months.

I view the cabins as an opportunity to be a bit more outdoors. Similar to THV, no neighbors on top, below, walls pounding next door, etc. Personally, I think cabins are opportunity for a different market than they have focused on with monorail and skyliner resorts.

If tower impacts any sales, wouldn’t it impact RIV (could boost or reduce sales)? Board tend to dream big with construction but Disney is cutting costs in every division this year.
My whole issue is these cabins are not Deluxe. They should not have points that are available to book the current DVC. Sorry, this is the start of the Moderate DVC. If I want to be in the Wilderness, I will stay at Wilderness Lodge, a true Deluxe resort.

My whole issue is these cabins are not Deluxe. They should not have points that are available to book the current DVC. Sorry, this is the start of the Moderate DVC. If I want to be in the Wilderness, I will stay at Wilderness Lodge, a true Deluxe resort.
Honest question: what makes SSR or OKW "deluxe"? SSR is no better (I'd argue a bit worse) than POR, POFQ, and CSR, and if you didn't walk inside the units at any of those resorts, there's zero chance you could tell them apart from the exterior. OKW is even worse, with a tiny table service, and a bar that seats three people. You could also argue that both SSR and OKW have less theming then most if not all of the moderate and even most of the budget resorts (if that's the metric you want to use).

The only thing that makes SSR and OKW "deluxe" is the fact that they have studio and 1 and 2BR units with kitchens. Beyond that, they have absolutely nothing else in common with the other true "deluxe" resorts. Coronado Springs, even before they built the Gran Destino Tower, was light years more "deluxe" than either of those DVC resorts. The Moderate DVC began on Day 1.

Last edited:
A point is a point is a point. Hilton Head resale points purchased for $80 each have essentially the same booking rights as VGF resale points for $180 or VGF direct for $230.

The per-point rate will be whatever DVC is charging at the time. The nightly point charts have always been the vehicle for differentiating between resorts and room types.

Even if the dues include amenities such as horseback riding, archery, pony rides for kids, canoes etc? I think that would go a long way in making it “feel” delux

Even if the dues include amenities such as horseback riding, archery, pony rides for kids, canoes etc? I think that would go a long way in making it “feel” delux
For those of us uninformed about the current Fort Wilderness, are all those activities currently free for FW guests?

There are certain things that can’t be combined via the dues and those things could very well not be allowed to be legally made part of dues.

They have to be things that go with operating the resort and I am not sure they can cover activities that would be open to others for a fee.

If they are run by the hotel division, my guess is they can not.

Honest question: what makes SSR or OKW "deluxe"? SSR is no better (I'd argue a bit worse) than POR, POFQ, and CSR, and if you didn't walk inside the units at any of those resorts, there's zero chance you could tell them apart from the exterior. OKW is even worse, with a tiny table service, and a bar that seats three people. You could also argue that both SSR and OKW have less theming then most if not all of the moderate and even most of the budget resorts (if that's the metric you want to use).

The only thing that makes SSR and OKW "deluxe" is the fact that they have studio and 1 and 2BR units with kitchens. Beyond that, they have absolutely nothing else in common with the other true "deluxe" resorts. The Moderate DVC began on Day 1.
At WDW, Deluxe Resort rooms generally:
  • Are larger than Moderate or Values.
  • Include bathroom sinks that are behind a door.
  • Have balconies.
  • Have preferres locations.
SSR has these. OKW does not have a preferred location, probably because it’s the first DVC and instead shares traits of similar timeshares of the early 1990s. (Separate buildings, larger rooms, and convenient parking.)

The Grand Floridian and Polynesian are WDW’s two most expensive resorts and yet you have to walk outside to reach most rooms. Even the Contemporary had two exterior wings.

I’ve stayed at all Disney hotels and DVCs more than once. When I’m in a Moderate or Value with only a window (with curtains that I have to close if I don’t want walker-by’s looking in), I feel slightly claustrophobic. Being able to open the curtains and sit down on the balcony changes that.

A second floor or higher DVC room provides me with a balcony to relax on.

I’m not disagreeing that the Cabins might end up being more like a Moderate - this is to be seen.

But OKW and SSR generally have the same bones as most Deluxe Resorts.

Last edited:
https://blogmickey.com/2023/10/disn...e-license-to-sell-new-fort-wilderness-cabins/

Disney Vacation Development Inc. has applied for a license to sell timeshares for the new Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort.

The license application currently shows as being “under review” and the application calls for 18,876 timeshare weeks, which breaks down to 363 units. The initial application filing was made to the state of Florida by Disney Vacation Club on October 12th. There is no additional information related to a timeline to offer sales.

MagicalResortGuide.com for the current Activities offered at the Fort .
I think a phone number to reserve 407-939-5277
Sorry but they offer a lot of activities and a few are free !
Okay looks like the these activities are not free and are pay-per-use and have finite capacity. I think there's essentially zero chance these are baked into dues to be made 'free' for DVC members.

It would be a significant logistical challenge to build out a system that allows 'fair' booking, can't be abused (what if my kid wants that pony to be theirs for a week), etc. There's also going to prospective owners that don't want to pay for other people's canoe rentals. It's lose-lose for DVC.

Maybe DVC members get a discount.

As for whether CFW is 'deluxe' or not. I don't think it matters? As @tjkraz points out, a point is a point. Nightly stays will be priced (with points) accordingly to the amenities, size, sleeping surfaces, location, fit/finish, etc. of the room and resort.

I believe that DVC is setting it up so that the Poly Tower and Riviera will be the High-End products that they will be pushing (VGF will be in Sold-Out status by then), and they will use the Cabins at Fort Wilderness as a lower cost option, especially for families that might walk at $230+/point prices or steep point charts.

I just checked and compared the cash prices for a deluxe studio at Copper Creek and the current FW Cabins for the last week of this month. (October being one of the most popular times at FW)
A FW Cabin is $55 cheaper per night than the CC deluxe studio, for both weekdays and weekends.
Of course the cash price for the "new" cabins will probably go up some, but I don't think they can push it too far, maybe equal to the studio price.

The current point chart shows 123 points/week in October for a deluxe studio at Copper Creek.
If the FW Cabins point chart keeps it even close to the cash equivalent, they could have a one-bedroom that sleeps 6 for about 125-130 points/week at Halloween. (even less at other times of the year)
This would allow a family to buy in at much less than 150 points (the current minimum is 100, but without member benefits until they reach 150 direct) and still be able to stay a full week at their home resort.

This would be a great drop option for guides to have.
It will also allow DVC to adjust the special offers here on the FW Cabins to increase direct sales when needed, but without having to cut too deeply on the other properties like Riviera and the Poly Tower.
This would also be another good reason that they are opening sales on the FW Cabins first, before the Poly Tower.

If what I am speculating here comes true, it would be great news for the FW Cabins, but would possibly be bad news for those that are hoping for some great incentives on the Poly Tower when it goes on sale.

If Disney sets the point charts correctly, the price per point should remain at the going rate.

If the point charts are too high, they may have trouble selling them, but DVD simply offers discounts (VGF summer incentives or the 2009 webcast, Black Friday promotions are two examples).

If the point charts are too low, they will sell well. I would happily stay at CFW for a week if it’s priced at BWV SV studio points.

We love the Fort and actually rented out our DVC points this year so we could tent camp there. My only hangup with making them DVC is that they only sleep 6 (we have 7), and I can put 10 on a camp site for way cheaper. Even renting an RV and doing a nicer site is still cheaper than the cabins, and with more people allowed.

As far as amenities, there’s a lot that goes on at the Fort that is free but done by visitors (scavenger hunts, massive decorations, Halloween trick or treating, pin trading, etc). It’s a whole community there ❤️

Now… if they threw in a golf cart or made a few cabins sleep 7+, I’d be in!

Okay looks like the these activities are not free and are pay-per-use and have finite capacity. I think there's essentially zero chance these are baked into dues to be made 'free' for DVC members.

It would be a significant logistical challenge to build out a system that allows 'fair' booking, can't be abused (what if my kid wants that pony to be theirs for a week), etc. There's also going to prospective owners that don't want to pay for other people's canoe rentals. It's lose-lose for DVC.

Maybe DVC members get a discount.

As for whether CFW is 'deluxe' or not. I don't think it matters? As @tjkraz points out, a point is a point. Nightly stays will be priced (with points) accordingly to the amenities, size, sleeping surfaces, location, fit/finish, etc. of the room and resort.

As I posted, those things are very likely not allowed by FL law to be included with dues.

I think the comment regarding it not being deluxe is that people who have bought DVC May see this as an inferior resort and therefore owners there shouldn’t have the same trading rules as others.

But, I can see these being very popular and even see myself and friends renting one yearly in winter or fall…just for a nice and relaxing get away!

At WDW, Deluxe Resort rooms generally:
  • Are larger than Moderate or Values.
  • Include bathroom sinks that are behind a door.
  • Have balconies.
  • Have preferres locations.
With the exception of location (and possibly balconies, which isn't even a factor on a single-story cabin that already has a huge deck and dedicated BBQ), you've just made my argument. The only thing that makes those resorts different than the moderates I mentioned is the unit interiors. Interiors are certainly important, but the discussion is about the cabins not being "deluxe", and if they have everything on your list, then my point stands. They would be every bit "deluxe" as OKW at the very least. As to location, SSR has a "preferred" location because that's where Eisner and Co. decided to build their "Institute". It fell into its location when it was converted into a DVC resort. OKW, as you say, has just about the least preferred location possible.

As to balconies, yes I do appreciate them too, but while they seem to be really high on many owner's list of priorities, I'd put resort location, resort amenities, onsite dining and activities, and a whole host of other items well above balconies on my priority list.

But OKW and SSR generally have the same bones as most Deluxe Resorts.
We're going to have to disagree on this, and that's ok.

With the exception of location (and possibly balconies, which isn't even a factor on a single-story cabin that already has a huge deck and dedicated BBQ), you've just made my argument. The only thing that makes those resorts different than the moderates I mentioned is the unit interiors. Interiors are certainly important, but the discussion is about the cabins not being "deluxe", and if they have everything on your list, then my point stands. They would be every bit "deluxe" as OKW at the very least. As to location, SSR has a "preferred" location because that's where Eisner and Co. decided to build their "Institute". It fell into its location when it was converted into a DVC resort. OKW, as you say, has just about the least preferred location possible.

As to balconies, yes I do appreciate them too, but while they seem to be really high on many owner's list of priorities, I'd put resort location, resort amenities, onsite dining and activities, and a whole host of other items well above balconies on my priority list.

We're going to have to disagree on this, and that's ok.
At least SSR has a golf course and spa. To me, that elevates it far above Fort Wilderness.

As I posted, those things are very likely not allowed by FL law to be included with dues.

I think the comment regarding it not being deluxe is that people who have bought DVC May see this as an inferior resort and therefore owners there shouldn’t have the same trading rules as others.

But, I can see these being very popular and even see myself and friends renting one yearly in winter or fall…just for a nice and relaxing get away!
It’s not the activities or the lure of a campfire or horseback riding. It’s all about the accommodations and amenities. Sorry, Fort Wilderness is not deluxe enough in those areas.

It’s not the activities or the lure of a campfire or horseback riding. It’s all about the accommodations and amenities. Sorry, Fort Wilderness is not deluxe enough in those areas.

They have said they are going to be doing some work as well in the area so maybe they will be adding more things to increase its deluxe level amenities.

I do think the cabins themselves will be deluxe level type of accommodations.

Then perhaps we should wait to see the accommodations before judging?

Square footage alone does not a deluxe make. I’ve seen enough of people’s tiny home layouts to know you can do a lot with a small footprint. These are going to be new “units” and I’d hope that someone had a brainchild before they went down this road.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter