FULL TR - "When in France..." Sept 2012

loladelorean

DIS Veteran
This is one long overdue trip report – sorry DISers! The sudden realisation that October was nearly over, with less than a month to go til my next DLP trip, reminded me that I still hadn’t written this.

To refresh your memory – my sister, my cousin and I squeezed a stop at DLP into our big trip to France for our first family wedding in Toulouse.

The Cast
Me – Lisa – 24
Sister – Samantha – 19
Cousin – Janice – The birthday girl! Turned 27 during our trip

Day 0 – The Journey – Sunday 9th Sept

The moment of truth – just how horrendous would the £5 Megabus journey from London to Paris be?!
Victoria Coach Station, in the unseasonably roasting sun of London, was suitably horrendous, especially navigating 2 large suitcases. But when we boarded our Megabus at 9am we were pleased to nab the 3 seats at the back together on our big airy coach.
DSCN0814.jpg

We watched Princess and the Frog on the laptop and before we knew it we were at the port in Dover.
The weather was even better there! We stretched our legs and sunned ourselves, then it was time to get back on the bus and onto the ferry.
DSCN0815.jpg

The ferry was also a pretty nice experience, big and modern and lots of duty free shopping to be done.
So far we were delighted with our £5 journey!
It dragged a bit at the other side due to major traffic jams outside Paris (even though we watched Tangled) – we arrived over an hour late at the city centre coach stop. I won’t lie, we were pretty frazzled and grumpy by this point, but we were in Paris! Definitely too grotty and luggage-laden to drag ourselves around Paris as we’d originally planned, so we went straight for the train to Marne La Vallee.

We checked into the Explorers – I was impressed with the lobby and we got checked in quickly. We were relieved to get to the room and get showered and changed – but it was disappointingly small and dingy, as were the corridors of the Explorers.
We got ready as quickly as we could and got the little shuttle to the Village. By this time it was about 9.30pm and we were HUNGRY. I was gutted to see a massive queue at Annette’s….of course, the parks were just coming out. The attendant told us the wait would be over an hour – no chance, we would definitely faint by then.
I’m not good with changing my meal plans, but King Ludwigs were able to seat us right away so in we went.
DSCN0826.jpg

We foolishly lined our stomachs with steiners of beer before inhaling our mains – I had a huge, tasty burger, Janice had macaroni cheese (the joys of being a vegetarian in France) and Sami had a steak – we all loved our meals, but it is kind of hard to judge how good it truly was given that we were so hungry by that time we’d have eaten anything.

A bit tipsy after the steiners, we looked into the shops, and walked all the way back to Explorers. Didn’t take too long at all!

Day 1 – Monday 10th September

I dragged the other two up with the birds to get us out of Explorers and into the magic! We ate a quick breakfast in the hotel (pretty good) checked out, and decided to walk to the Cheyenne. It was lovely and sunny and the walk didn’t take long, but I must say, I really didn’t like the feeling of being out of the bubble. Yeah, you’re not far away but it is quite plainly the “real world” – our brief stay in the Explorers has convinced me that the Disney hotels are worth the extra money. I’ve already booked the Radisson for our next trip and kind of regretting it, but never mind.

The queue to check in at the Cheyenne was pretty long, but staff were super helpful. We did the usual thing of only booking the room for Janice, and paying the room taxes for Sami and I. I had forgotten to tell the hotel it was Janice’s birthday beforehand, so I mentioned it at checkin, but the receptionist told me there wasn’t much they could do as the room was ready.

We were in the Geronimo building, pretty much as far as can be from the facilities! But we just LOVED walking through the cowboy town of Cheyenne and once inside our building we loved it even more.
DSCN0849.jpg

Our room was AMAZING – I always expected the theming to be great at the Cheyenne, but the whole standard of the place was higher than I’d hoped, for the low price we paid. Very happy! :D
DSCN0847.jpg

It was about 11am by the time we finally made it to the park. Returning after such a short time, it felt like we’d never been away, even more familiar than usual. Janice, who hasn’t visited since she was a kid, was really really excited!
DSCN0853.jpg

We squealed our way down Main St, through Frontierland and into Adventureland, where our first stop was Pirates (after picking up BTM fastpasses, as I always do). After a fun ride (Janice got a shock at the drops) we booked Blue Lagoon for later that night (of course…)

We then wandered through Fantasyland, enjoying the sunshine and the low crowds. We made a snap decision to ride the Storybook ride, as it had no wait. Don’t always manage to get on this ride, so a nice surprise.
DSCN0862.jpg

When we came off the ride, we were surprised and delighted to see a host of characters in Fantasyland – a big change from our June trip, when we saw no random characters at all. We saw Alice, the Mad Hatter, the Tweedles, Gideon, Pinocchio, Gepetto, Suzy and Perla. We only met the ones that it was easy to get to – as big kids, meeting characters is fun, but we aren’t about the shove the real kids out of the way to do it.
DSCN0858.jpg

We wanted to ride Space Mountain next but it was closed with a technical error so we went on Star Tours instead. I still get flashbacks to being 6 years old on our first ever visit, when this ride petrified me!
Then it was time for our BTM fastpasses – yeeha for the wildest ride in the wilderness! This ride will always be my favourite – of course we all came off giggling.
After BTM we saw a little country band playing at the entrance to Frontierland – a nice touch! We paid a visit to the dragon and the castle shops.
DSCN0870.jpg

Then it was time to visit the Studios. I think maybe we had lunch on the way but I can’t for the life of me remember where! In the Studios front lot we spotted Goofy in an orderly meet and greet with only a small queue, so decided to wait and meet him. What can I say, our pal Goof was a bit flirtatious with us, and was particularly taken with Janice! Naughty Goofy….it really did make us laugh though, and became one of the running jokes of the holiday.
DSCN0884.jpg

We were in a daft mood by then and proceeded to ride Cars Quatre Ralley and Slinky Dog amidst much hilarity.
DSCN0892.jpg

We then went on RC Racer and the Parachutes (as single riders, barely any wait). I was delighted to have hit all 3 TSPL rides in a short time – and by that time our ToT fastpass time had come around. It was as spooky and wonderful as ever.
We took our time wandering back to Main St and checking out the shops. I bought 4 bits of my favourite fudge (had been having serious cravings for it since June) and we found a spot to watch the parade outside the sweet shop. I’d been disappointed by it in June (don’t love the song quite as much as Just Like We Dreamed It) and had warned Janice not to expect much. But she LOVED it! I must say I enjoyed it much more this time around too, the characters were all fab and we got lots of attention.
We had about half an hour after the parade until our dinner booking, so we squeezed in a ride on Space Mountain. Why has it always got just 5 mins wait time – it’s so awesome!
We were seated straight away at Blue Lagoon, at a waterside table for the first time ever! We got alcohol free cocktails as aperitifs with our APs, and our waiter Vincenzo was very helpful. All 3 meals were great – my favourite dish ever, the Surf n Turf; Janice’s vegetable voyage; and Sami had the veal. We knocked back a bottle of wine too, which I’m sure only added to our hyper mood.

It was odd to emerge and find the sun still out – we walked off the big meal exploring the Caves and Pont Suspendu, then paid a visit to Phantom Manor just as the sun set, spooky!
DSCN0908.jpg

When we came out it was properly dark, and nearly time for Dreams so we nabbed a great spot near Frontierland. WOW – it’s still just as good when you know what’s coming. I cried at all the same ridiculous places, we hugged….a great end to a great first day.

Well, not quite the end. We managed a wee nightcap at the Red Garter Saloon on our way to bed – nice bar and the prices are pretty reasonable for DLP. Another plus for the Cheyenne!

Day 2 – Tuesday 11th September

We had managed to fit lots of things into our first day, and as crowds were low and we knew we wanted to spend all of Janice’s birthday (Wednesday 12th) in DLP, we decided to spend most of Tuesday in Paris.
Janice wasn’t for getting up early but Samantha and I are seasoned EMH professionals. We had breakfast at 7.30 (eek, the breakfast scrum at Cheyenne and limited choice of food is the one thing that I didn’t like about it) and made it to the park not long after 8.
DSCN0915.jpg

We rode the Carousel, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Buzz and Space Mountain, then dashed to the Studios to make an attempt at Crush for opening time. Alas, it was down with technical errors. We were gutted – this seems to happen to us on every trip.
RnRC was down too, so we rode ToT then glumly left the Studios to head back to Cheyenne and get Janice. It was about 11 and we were hungry so stopped at Starbucks for a mid morning snack and to use the wifi. We had a quick change at the Cheyenne, and all 3 of us headed to the train station around 12, ready to go to Paris. Wait, make that 4 of us – Janice’s newly acquired friend Minnie came too.
DSCN0930.jpg

By this time, the lovely weather was a thing of the past. It was raining when we left DLP but when we reached Paris it was pouring. We weren’t dressed for it, and weren’t sure what to do in such horrible weather – it really threw our sightseeing plans. We decided to have lunch at Chatelet les Halles while we waited to see if the rain subsided. It was a delicious 3 course feast, which meant we didn’t end up eating dinner later.
DSCN0933.jpg

Well, the rain got progressively worse but we enjoyed a very nice meal and bottle of wine. My map told me we weren’t far from Notre Dame so I insisted that we brave the rain and walk.
DSCN0937.jpg

I put a good face on it but it was miserable! We dripped round the inside of the Notre Dame, then decided we may as well keep walking around as we were soaked anyway.
DSCN0938.jpg

On the way to the Louvre, the warm lure of an Irish pub was just too much to resist. And of course, there’s no way we could walk past a Scottish pub called the Highlander without stopping by.
DSCN0952.jpg

I’m ashamed to say we spent the afternoon in Paris really rather drunk, DISers, but I must say it makes the disgusting weather a lot more bearable! I must stress that we also indulged in the local culture by including a Parisian wine bar in our travels. That’s where it all got too much for Minnie.
DSCN0972.jpg

The rain eventually died down but never quite went off, and I literally had to throw out my shoes when we got back to the Cheyenne at about 9pm, they were such a sodden smelly mess from our adventures!
DSCN0982.jpg

Day 3 – Wednesday 12th September – Janice’s Birthday!

Janice’s birthday was here! There was no way we were letting her miss EMH this time, so we were all up and down for breakfast at 8….with the help of strong caffeine.
DSCN0986.jpg

It was worth getting up for when we went into the park to see Minnie herself with a reasonable queue just inside – Janice’s favourite! We quickly stopped by City Hall to make sure the birthday girl had her badge in time to meet Minnie. I don’t know if many 7 year olds would have been as excited as this 27 year old…
DSCN0994.jpg

We rode Peter Pan and then it was after 9 – we decided to stop by Salon Mickey on the way to the Studios where we would try for Crush again.
DSCN1003.jpg

Don’t even ask about stupid Crush. Grr. But we did ride the Magic Carpets!
DSCN1006.jpg

RnRC was ready for us today so we woke ourselves up properly with a blast into the rockin world of Aerosmith. Then we took it a bit easier with Cinemagique, followed by Animagique – one which I’m not overly fussed about seeing these days, but which Janice declared to be one of her favourite parts of the trip! The girl loves her characters, and after seeing Animagique acquired herself another friend – King Louie. I was sad to realise after we left that I’d lost my new Mickey ears in Cinemagique – went back to ask, but no sign of them ☹

We rode ToT with fastpasses, then had lunch at Studio 1. Sorry to be a broken record with this moan, but why is that the only place ever open for lunch in the Studios?! Queues are always huge, and it is rubbish for customers to have so little choice. Anyway, it was fine, and we were soon back outside ready to watch Stars n Cars at Backlot.
DSCN1009.jpg

After the parade we went straight back on RnRC – maybe not a great idea so soon after lunch. We were on our way out of the park and I stopped by Cinemagique – where the attendant I’d spoken to earlier saw me coming and produced my lost Mickey ears! I was delighted, never thought I’d get them back!

Back in the main park we rode Indy – which advertised a 10 min wait that turned out to be 30 mins. I’d never wait 30 mins for this boring ride, was a bit annoyed. Quickly cheered up when we found the Tam Tams playing. Top marks for streetmosphere and characters this time, DLP!
DSCN1018.jpg

We overdosed on adrenaline by riding BTM immediately followed by Space Mountain, then it was time to enjoy the main Parade again. I’d booked Café Mickey for 6.30, so we had time for one more ride before leaving – the birthday girl chose IASW. Glad we got time to ride it on this trip, left us feeling warm and fuzzy.

6.30 turned out to be a great time to visit Café Mickey – it was really quiet and we got tons of attention from all the characters before we’d even ordered. Some people who arrived later once it was busy only got one character visit their table.
DSCN1020.jpg

We had Tigger sit down with us, Minnie sneak up on us, Tigger and Eeyore chase each other, Mickey admire our outfits….we felt like VIPs. And of course, Janice got her cake brought to her by the Main Mouse himself.
I was also a lot happier with the food this time than in previous visits. A great meal and experience.
IMG_0750.jpg

We had been planning to change and head back to the park for Dreams but by the time we’d got ready at the hotel, we were too late for Dreams ☹ girls, eh. Oh, and the cleaning staff had put birthday balloons in the room! Incredible that my note at check in about Janice's birthday was followed up.
IMG_0769.jpg

So we stopped by the Red Garter Saloon again, before heading to Billy Bobs. This was based on a loose idea of having a “birthday night out” – I now know that the Village is not quite right for this. We had good fun with Louie, and a few drinks, but the place was pretty much empty by 11.30, and we had no choice but to take ourselves to bed. Janice did however, declare it to be her best birthday ever.
DSCN1025.jpg

Oh brilliant, the whole thing, I am just LOVING it!!! I am still giggling at the photo of poor drunken Minnie, showing her knickers and not even being able to do anything about it.. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Great photos,, have you more?
Looks like a fab time.

I ADORE the drinking. Really, the bottle of wine at a Disney restaurant? Brilliant. And the drinking and walking around Paris. Perfect. You just do not find Americans admitting to that - we are so sadly Puritan!

This looks like a lot of fun and a great birthday, too!

Minnie is not new to get drunken and showing off her pants, mind you we saw her dragging a arm on the floor and she was on a pushchair!!
Would you believe it???

I ADORE the drinking. Really, the bottle of wine at a Disney restaurant? Brilliant. And the drinking and walking around Paris. Perfect. You just do not find Americans admitting to that - we are so sadly Puritan!

This looks like a lot of fun and a great birthday, too!

I forget that it's different in the States - you can't buy alcohol in Disney parks can you?
We are Scottish. When it comes to drinking, I don't think we could be further from Puritan...

Oh brilliant, the whole thing, I am just LOVING it!!! I am still giggling at the photo of poor drunken Minnie, showing her knickers and not even being able to do anything about it.. :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Great photos,, have you more?
Looks like a fab time.

Thanks :thumbsup2 glad you enjoyed it. I hope I haven't offended any other readers with our tales of excessive drinking, but we're young - and the trip report would be highly inaccurate if I left out the booze ;)

Minnie had a great time, she just needs to pace herself a bit better. She's living in London now with King Louie, he's been teaching her how to party.

Great Tr Lisa!! Sounds like you ladies had fun ;-)

I love that shot of Minnie - did make me chuckle!

I think we stayed in Chatelet for our honeymoon (12 yrs ago!) & it was very close to Notre Dame. Hotel Britannique I think it was and bizarrely there was an M&S food shop at the end of the rue.

Your sister looks so like your Mum in the photo on the Carousel!

Your megabus ticket was such a bargain - would you use it again?

Fab TR Lisa - oh, what a joy, to do Disney in an adult trip :lmao:.

Really pleased to read you got your ears back too - that was a stroke of luck! :thumbsup2

Sounds like you all had a great time :cool1:.

Great Tr Lisa!! Sounds like you ladies had fun ;-)

I love that shot of Minnie - did make me chuckle!

I think we stayed in Chatelet for our honeymoon (12 yrs ago!) & it was very close to Notre Dame. Hotel Britannique I think it was and bizarrely there was an M&S food shop at the end of the rue.

Your sister looks so like your Mum in the photo on the Carousel!

Your megabus ticket was such a bargain - would you use it again?

Yeah Chatelet was just a short walk from Notre Dame :)
We both look like our mum! But I see what you mean about that photo :duck:

I definitely would do the Megabus again, you really can't beat it for value. Mind you I'm back on the old Eurostar for my next trip :cloud9:

I think that long on a coach (and with a boat thrown in) would definitely make me:sick: If you think its good having wine in a Disney restaurant, at Parc Asterix you can get beer with your hamburger meal deal:yay:

There is such a different attitude in the US! I remember having to negotiate strenuously with the "beer cart man" in Universal Studios as I wanted TWO bottles of beer - one for me and one for DH. He said "I can't sell you a second beer ma'm unless you can point him out to me"(I wouldn't have minded if I was as young as you but I do think at the age of 40 I should be considered capable of handling 2 beers to myself if I want!!) Anyway I pointed to DH in the queue in McDonalds with the kids and he "graciously" permitted me to buy both beers:rotfl2:

Liking the sound of the Red Garter;) The bar in HNY was horrendous Did you try happy hour at King Ludwigs? Very good value!

Fantastic trip report!

Me and my DFi are taking the Megabus as well. I'm so relieved to find someone else who has done it, I was beginning to think we were the only ones!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter