• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fun ways you tell your kids you're going to Disney?

mom2luncate

Mouseketeer
We want to tell the kids on Easter about our upcoming trip in August. My original plan was to put Disney Dollars in their Easter eggs. However, I just found out my Disney Store closed so I can't buy Disney Dollars. :sad2: Does anyone have any neat ways to tell the kids about the trip? Scavenger hunt maybe? Any ideas would be great and I know you Disney enthusiasts probably have tons of tricks up your sleeves! :thumbsup2

We are on the road right now! We did a combination scavenger/egg hunt. To start I gave the kids a spoon. When they put the spoon away, they found a dvd and 1 or 2 plastic eggs. They then put the dvd away and found more eggs and their next "clue". At the final clue there was a note telling them to open all of the eggs to figure out the secret. Inside each egg were 2 puzZLe pieces. They put the puzzLe together (Mickey of course) and then had to flip it over to read the message written on the back. We found the best way to do this was to have them assemble on a piece of cardboard and then put another one on top. The message on the back told them to go to mom and dad's room to find out what they would be celebrating (written more creatively but I can't remember it right now). When they opened the door, they saw balloons and streamers all over the place along with a foam posterboard that was their invitation to WDW for easter week (hence the eggs). It listed who, what, where, when, why, etc... Very fun and the invitation is still hanging in my room.

We are on the road right now! We did a combination scavenger/egg hunt. To start I gave the kids a spoon. When they put the spoon away, they found a dvd and 1 or 2 plastic eggs. They then put the dvd away and found more eggs and their next "clue". At the final clue there was a note telling them to open all of the eggs to figure out the secret. Inside each egg were 2 puzZLe pieces. They put the puzzLe together (Mickey of course) and then had to flip it over to read the message written on the back. We found the best way to do this was to have them assemble on a piece of cardboard and then put another one on top. The message on the back told them to go to mom and dad's room to find out what they would be celebrating (written more creatively but I can't remember it right now). When they opened the door, they saw balloons and streamers all over the place along with a foam posterboard that was their invitation to WDW for easter week (hence the eggs). It listed who, what, where, when, why, etc... Very fun and the invitation is still hanging in my room.

Wow! What great ideas! Thank you so much for writing from the road. Have a safe and fun trip! :cutie:

In plastic eggs put 6 little slips of paper and "pixie dust" glitter on the slips write one of the following words We-are-going- to- Disney-World

I love that idea! I'm trying to think up something for the kids too. Our inlaws gave us the trip to Disney this coming christmas for their 40th anniversary. They told us over spring break. We haven't told the kids yet. We will travel to see them the first week of june. They live in ND and we live in TX. So I wanted to do something there since the trip was from them. I like the egg hunt and the puzzle idea. I think that would be fun!

Well, you're going to Disney. That's enough fun by itself....:rotfl:

No, but really. Could you do Disney-themed baskets? Red, black and yellow candy, maybe. They also have Disney guides for kids. You could put one of those in there.

Just think about what the bunny would bring, and give it some pixie dust.

Have a look on YouTube and search for "Disney surprise" or something simular. There are some pretty funny videos of when us parents surprise the kids about going to WDW. :goodvibes

for my DD for her birthady trip, I got a card that you could record your voice in and me and DH recorded surprise we're going to Disney World s when she opened the card, that is what she heard. It was really cute!

This is so fitting. I'm telling my little boy either today or sometime over the weekend. I have a letter from Mickey telling him what a good boy he's been, and that mommy has planned a special surprise for him. It ends with "Guess where you're going this summer?" and Mickey signs off with "See ya real soon!" :goodvibes

I hope he can put 2 and 2 together. :lmao:

We surprised our kids with a trip this past December. We had just put up our Christmas tree and we told the girls to find a particular ornament on the tree and when they found it there would be a present for the both of them. We put a big helium mickey mouse balloon (from IParty) into a large disney themed gift bag and tied a poem my husband wrote that told them we were going to Disney. When they opened the gift bag the balloon floated right out with a poem attached to it on an index card. It was really cool and they were so surprised and excited when they read the poem and realized we were going to Disney World.

Such fantastic ideas! Now I need to pick just one because I like them all! Thanks so much everyone!!!!!!:goodvibes

We did this last year! I cut out letters spelling "Go to Grandma's Room" and put them in eggs - and the kids put together the puzzle. They ran to Grandma's room where I had a huge poster that read "WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY" and I had three plush characters sitting around it - one for each of them. They were like "what?" and then my oldest was like "REALLY?" and the excitement kept building as they 'got it'. It was a lot of fun! Good luck!

We planned a surprise trip for our kiddos. Planned it for 9 months and then pulled off the surprise at the AIRPORT!!! Check out the link in my siggie! :goodvibes

Everyone has better more creative ways than we did...;) But we told our son we had to take my mom to the airport one morning and when we got there WE got out of the car and she drove away. It took him a few minutes to figure out what was up. :rotfl:

We didn't tell our kids who were 4 and 3 at the time. We got the luggage in the car before they woke up. Dressed them for preschool as expected and then drove right past their preschool. Our dd started asking questions and we told her. She had tears of happiness in her eyes! It made me cry that she was that happy lol!

:mickeyjumI told the kids by having a scavenger hunt. I got online and found interesting facts about Disney World and made clues about Disney. My DS is 13 and my DN is 10 they really got a kick out of it. The last clue was a poem I made that finally told them that they were going to Disney.

We got the kids to watch our video from a previous trip. At the end of the tape we added some new footage of us telling them that we had such a good time on that trip that we were going again. They took a little while to clue in. My dd said Hey you're wearing the same clothes at the end of the movie as you're wearing now. Then she got it.

We're telling our daughter on her 4th birthday party (4 days prior to our leaving) by hiring two teenagers to dress up like Cinderella and Prince Charming to "invite her to Disney"

We've surprised our sons twice. The first time was on our youngest son's 2nd birthday party (with our family the day before we left). We had a big box with a Disney for Kids book, some Disney t-shirts, Disney gift cards for each son, toys and photo books for them with past Disney pictures. When my youngest son opened his *gift*, balloons came floating up with a invitation from Mickey to come celebrate his 2nd birthday at WDW. He didn't truly get it, but our oldest son was jumping around and couldn't believe we were leaving the next day.

The next time we did a scavenger hunt on Christmas morning with clues around the house. The clues brought them back to our Christmas Tree where my dh had placed a box filled with Disney loot and another invitation to come back to Disney. I had also made a countdown calendar which was hidden behind our tree. They were so excited.

This year we are waiting until the morning we are leaving to tell them. We may either say we are going someplace else for mine and our youngest son's birthday and then surprise them as we drive into Orlando, or we may tell them when they first wake up and have breakfast with Mickey shapred pancakes, etc.. We haven't decided yet.

I enjoy hearing about everyone's surprises. I love the Easter egg ideas.

We done a postcard from Mickey inviting them to Disney, a treasure hunt, buzz mission and giving them a box with clues. They are now not as surprised with us any more...lol

Next time we plan on getting up at 6am, wake them up and have our Stitch doll (with the help of a voice recording) tell them to wake up. We are going to Disney World.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter