• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fun ways you tell your kids you're going to Disney?

We're telling our daughter on her 4th birthday party (4 days prior to our leaving) by hiring two teenagers to dress up like Cinderella and Prince Charming to "invite her to Disney"

You must post photos of this - great idea!

We are surprising our kids this year (they have known about the other trips way in advance). I haven't quite figured out how we will do it, I'd love to do a drive to the airport surprise, but I know my kids love to countdown to our trip as well, and my son made a comment that he wouldn't like a quick surprise as then he doesn't have time to do his homework. :rotfl:

We are going in september, and I'm considering waiting until school starts and making rice krispie treats in Mickey head shapes with a note that we are going to Disney on XX date....

I don't want to tell them before our vacation this summer (Hershey) as to no detract from going to Hershey, and thought maybe the first day of school would be a nice surprise to hear about Disney!

We have planned our vacation for this summer. We are telling my step-daughter on Easter. What we did was the Easter Bunny is bringing her a Disney Princess suitcase. (The small one she can use as a carry on bag.) It will be filled with all Disney items...shirts, night gowns, stickers, and playing cards.

The Easter Bunny is also bringing her father and I and her grandparents Disney shirts and Disney mugs. We are hoping that she is very excited about this trip.

We're going to pick the kids up from school, and then tell them we're leaving for DW right then. :D Some kids might freak, but I think my kids would just think it was fun. We're driving, so we can drive out straight from school to FL.

Subbing! The ideas here are just fantastic. I am planning to surprise my DS4 with our trip this October. I am going to tell him right before we leave, but I'm still trying to figure out the perfect plan. I already have some ideas and I can't wait to read more! :banana:

My DD7 has been at least once a year since birth and I've never surprised her....until now! She already knew we are going in Aug so I planned a last minute trip a few weeks ago to celebrate my 35 birthday and to do the scavenger hunt and have not told her. My plan is this:
the last few days before we leave I am going to cook Mickey shaped foods. I have a mickey head casserole dish to help. Her sandwiches for school will be mickey head shaped. The night before I am going to do a mickey shaped pizza (2 small for the ears and one large for the face). We are leaving on a Tues night so I'll be picking her up from school and driving right to the airport. My mom and my DD2 will be with us and I know she is going to want to know why my mom is there and where we are going. I'm just gonna tell her that boss (my mom) is coming to help us drop off some "stuff". When we get to the airport I'm going to pull out her backpack which will be packed with her "Disney stuff". One by one I'm going to pull them out. First her pin trading lanyard and put it around her neck saying you may need this, then her minnie ears, then her autograph book and pen, her water bottle and then last a t-shirt that says "My mom just surprised me today with a trip to Disney World" and have her read it. I so can't wait to see the look on her face. She has been seeing the commericals lately where parents surprise their kids at the airport and she turned to me and said "Wow mom, that is so awesome. Can you do that to me in August? I reminded her that she already knows and she said "oh yeah. But I want to be surprised. Can you do it next year?" and I simply said "Perhaps!" :rotfl:

My DD7 has been at least once a year since birth and I've never surprised her....until now! She already knew we are going in Aug so I planned a last minute trip a few weeks ago to celebrate my 35 birthday and to do the scavenger hunt and have not told her. My plan is this:
the last few days before we leave I am going to cook Mickey shaped foods. I have a mickey head casserole dish to help. Her sandwiches for school will be mickey head shaped. The night before I am going to do a mickey shaped pizza (2 small for the ears and one large for the face). We are leaving on a Tues night so I'll be picking her up from school and driving right to the airport. My mom and my DD2 will be with us and I know she is going to want to know why my mom is there and where we are going. I'm just gonna tell her that boss (my mom) is coming to help us drop off some "stuff". When we get to the airport I'm going to pull out her backpack which will be packed with her "Disney stuff". One by one I'm going to pull them out. First her pin trading lanyard and put it around her neck saying you may need this, then her minnie ears, then her autograph book and pen, her water bottle and then last a t-shirt that says "My mom just surprised me today with a trip to Disney World" and have her read it. I so can't wait to see the look on her face. She has been seeing the commericals lately where parents surprise their kids at the airport and she turned to me and said "Wow mom, that is so awesome. Can you do that to me in August? I reminded her that she already knows and she said "oh yeah. But I want to be surprised. Can you do it next year?" and I simply said "Perhaps!" :rotfl:

We're going in August too. We've done all the surprise things like finding a treasure map that leads us to Disney World (via a sign from their Nana/Poppa-we took them with us). Our first trip was a magical invitation from Mickey Mouse inviting them to Disney World. My older two kids screamed (will admit a little shocked too).

That is too awesome that your daughter wants to be surprised. Have you thought about having someone send an invitation to your kid(s) saying something about looking forward to seeing you real soon?? (FYI I would be glad to send one out)

I can NOT wait till Sunday to reveal our "surprise" trip to my DD7 ! The Easter bunny is bringing her Minnie Mouse PJ's, Minnie hat & sunglasses, Tangled DVD, Tinker Bell DS game, Princess swimming goggles, Guide to the Magic book for kids and a bunch of other trip related things. We then have an Easter Egg hunt planned. Each egg will have one word (numbered on the back) and when placed in order will read "Grab your bags, your on your way ! To Mickeys House in 30 days" - followed by her 30 day countdown calendar I made ! she has been to Disney for her last 4 birthdays in Sept. I have told her we would not be able to go to Disney World this year for her birthday (and we are not so I havent lied). I thought about waiting till the very last day of school (which is our departure day) and surprising her on the way to the airport. But honestly the anticipation is part of the fun for us ! I can remember as a kid laying in bed dreaming of up coming vacations ! I hope to get it all on tape. I know she is going to freak !!

Ok, here is the backstory:

My dd (7 at the time 9 now) asked immediatly after our last trip 2 years ago when we are coming back..... knowing that $$ was tough and it would be awhile, we explained it away with " Well honey, Disney is a very popular place and EVERYBODY in the world wants to go, so we'll just have to wait for an invitation back"... she totally understood..... well a few months ago, WDW sent out some sort of promotion that had on the front " You're invited to Disney world" :scared1:

We were able to convice her that it meant "in that year"... so little did she know we had trip planned for fall... we booked it :banana: ... she has forgotten about it a bit, til the Mickey mail and DVD come!!! Can't seem to keep that mail out from under her nose :laughing::lmao:

To sum it up we said " we are thinking about it" as this was wording in DVD packaging... now how can I get her to forget about it and then totally surprise her? seems like it is already blown :headache:

any ideas--- small or grandiose are welcome!!!

Thanks DIS'ers!!! :flower3:

We are planning on surprisng DS the morning of. I have a shirt made that says I am going to Disney World...I hope he is thrilled! :goodvibes

I would so love to surprise my kids for our trip next September, but they already know and it would have been impossible to keep it from them. My sister works at Disney and she's getting married there next year and we're going for the wedding and a vacation while we're there. She was just here a week or so ago and we did a bunch of wedding planning stuff and I'm making all 8 bridesmaids' dresses (along with one in the same style but a different color for the bride to wear to the park after the ceremony) so, yeah, no surprise. We don't have a date yet, so maybe I can surprise them that way.

I did a picture scavenger hunt for my 2yo DD and 12yo niece. It ended up with a picture of our telephone. Within minutes the phone rang and it was Mickey telling them he heard they were going on a big trip! I booked the call using Enchanted Call. It was great!

OOOO! I am getting so excited. We are leaving Thursday and its still a surprise. SO many ideas....uhmmm..now to figure out one that works for the procrstinator i am !

"OK, you little stinkers, I've given in and we're going to see that dumb mouse. No stop whining!"

:rotfl:

We are going on the Dream in November. My DS's don't know yet. I got a bunch of the Mickey Heads from Home Depot and on each head put a letter so that when they go together it will spell out "we are going on the disney dream in november". I am going to mix them up and see how long it takes them to unscramble them. My boys love puzzles like that so it should be a lot of fun.

This is some exciting stuff.....we are planning a suprise spectacular for our two boys for our trip this August....they still don't know and honestly I am suprised I haven't broke (or been caught with the planning books, etc I have been toting).

I am subscribing to read some more ideas :surfweb:

OOOO! I am getting so excited. We are leaving Thursday and its still a surprise. SO many ideas....uhmmm..now to figure out one that works for the procrstinator i am !
I'm glad I have my idea and haven't given in to the tempation to tell her! I've dropped several hints that have just gone way over her head :goodvibes. Just a few days ago she was begging me to have one on one time with her and to go away somewhere in a hotel for a night, which I just couldn't do, so I asked her if I could pull something off what would she like to do? She came up with a place called Pump It Up (indoor bouncing things) and I told her she could do better than that. I said if you could go anywhere where would we go....she said "Well duh, Disney of course, but I know that isn't going to happen." I asked her why not and she said "Because mom you have to have a reservation!" :rotfl:So I asked her for a third choice and she said Canobie Lake (local amusement park) and I said ok that's pretty good idea. So I told her to eliminate one option...Pump It Up was quickly gone. To say the least she thinks I'm going to take her to Canobie Lake and to make things even better, Canobie Lake is on the way to the airport!

Now I just have to stop procrastinating on everything else. I need to wash summer clothes and pack them, get tickets and reservation numbers and our Disney stuff together and packed. I need to go out and buy a cheap coffee pot and toaster (we are staying at the all stars) plus breakfast foods/coffee/snacks. And goodness knows what else all while not letting my DD7 catch on.

The only thing I have done is I finally made her "Give it away" shirt for the when we get to the airport.

IMG073-1.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter