FYI ~ Just for Fun! Check out my Flying vs. Driving Budget!

I just wanted to add my $.02 worth!

We drove out to DC and Williamsburg and Niagara Falls on a long (3 week) trip in June/July of 2000 with our 4 boys (then ages 3,5,7,9). We also drove to Pennsylvania when we just had the oldest 2 (they were then ages 2 and 3 1/2). On both trips, we drove 13 hours the first day, then 8-10 hours the second day. I could not believe they were MY kids! I think the excitement of the trip kept them busy, because I had a truckload of things for them to do (even bought little gifts at garage sales and wrapped them up for them to open occasionally). But you know what? I didn't use those wrapped gifts on that first trip until day 13 of a 14 day trip!

My kids are MUCH better on a LONG trip than on a short 1-3 hour trip! I can't figure it out! Maybe it's because I spend a lot of time that first day expecting them to act up, so I try to keep them busy?? I don't know! The entire first day (13 hours) of our trip last year, my then 3 year old played with his magnadoodle and a little tarzan figure! We were even stuck construction traffic in Chicago for THREE hours literally standing still, and NOT ONE made a peep! DH and I were more crabby than the boys!

We are flying down to Florida on Jan. 31st, but DH actually wants to drive instead! (And now we have ANOTHER boy who will be 2 months at the time!)

I know with a family our size, we would save money driving!

WOW! Where did you get airfare for $130! I just figured our April airfare and it's $2052! for 4 uof us! YIKES!

Hi, we are also from Ontario and drive down with one motel stop each way.
Also I pack a lunch for the first day and lots of snacks and drink boxes etc. Our motel stay will always be a motel that serves cont. breakfast so we can just get up grab a quick bite in our room and drive again. Also it cuts down on meal costs. Our lunch stops are usually subway or wendys. Supper will be near the motel in a moderate priced restaurant like pizza.

We leave early 3 or 4 a.m. and do usually 12 to 14 hours the first day, then the next day is shorter, we are on our way by 7 or 8 a.m. the next day. Sometimes to make the trip a little shorter we will stop our second night around ormond beach/daytona, walk the ocean in the a.m. and then on to disney the next afternoon. I think it cuts off 1 and a half hours.

Good luck on your decision. You know it would be nice to get there in less than 3 hours by flying though, I have never flown and probably never will, but that is just me, my hubby would fly in a minute. Have fun.

Deb.

FINALLY! My dates are published with the airlines: I can't beleive the huge price increase over last year and it's the same week!

AIR CANADA $2062
AIR TRANSAT $2092

4 people! YIKES! 2 adults, 2 children

Ok, Within the last year we went to WDW 4X(Thank You Jesus!!!!) WE drove 2X, flew once and took a train once about the same price as a cheap plane fair..
Driving- it depends on the stess level of the people driving, to wether it is worth it or not. We live about 20 hours to WDW. When my kids and I drove last Feb with my Sister and Mom and kids- it was GREAT! When we drove in May with DH driving it was pretty bad. My DH was so stressed out driving he pretty much ruined our vacation.

We are a family of four. To fly right now it would be about $700-800 and remember you have to rent a car (about $300).
It would be about $200 in gas and tolls to drive. I use priceline hotels and have the gotten the bargain of my life of a Holiday Inn for $12 total per night ($24 ) the last two times we drove. So for me driving is way more afforable

Flying(train cost the same) and car rental- about $1000
Driving - about $300($200 gas and tolls+$25 hotels+$75 food)
I bring a cooler in the car.
I don't take into consideration pay loss because if we drive I count that as we are on vacation already. Right now- as we stand Driving is a bit cheaper.

We drive from Illinois. My conservative budget for the driving part of our current trip is $390. Much cheaper to drive for us, though it is ore tiring and takes a little longer to get there.

We drive down from Massachusetts. It is approximately the same distance from Toronto,Ontario give or take about 20 miles. I grew up in Toronto and we drove to Florida every year. I guess that's why we do it now with our kids. For us, we stay over in an hotel one night on the way down and 2 nights on the way back. Our total driving trip, including the motel nights, food, gas and tolls was $625. So for us it is cheaper to drive. Plus, we really don't mind driving and either do the kids.

At first glance it seemed cheaper for us to drive, but when I consider loss of income, driving becomes a HUGE expense. BUT! Saying that. We are now considering driving in a year. We will still fly in April, but we thought about taking a one year break from Disney (dare I say it) so we are looking at other destinations. When I add up the driving time on the other destinations, it comes to about the same driving time as it would driving to WDW! So now I am re-thinking the whole thing! So now I need all your driving advice! THX S

I just did this comparison today too, so it was fun to read this entire thread for everyone else's take on the matter. I found cheap airfare ($130 each roundtrip, non-stop from Norfolk, VA to Orlando) this afternoon and had to decide whether to continue with my plan to drive or take the flight instead. I could make the drive to Orlando with one hand tied behind my back, we've done it so many times! My parents started a notebook with the best exits off I-95 for gas, food, etc. They always drive as mom doesn't like to fly. I normally drive as I like the convenience of having my car, but I really don't enjoy driving back. We normally drive overnight (leave about 6pm and arrive at 6am so not much traffic!) to go down, but drive home during the day. Ugh.

So, this is how I figured that flying 2 adults at $130 each would be better:
Gas, wear and tear on the car: figure at 26 cents per mile = about $468

dh is more comfortable doing all the driving, but that's way too much driving for him ~ 24 hours one way! If I did some of the driving he wouldn't sleep or even relax. I'm a good driver, he's just weird. He wanted to drive thru the night, but I don't trust him, isn't that bad! I think since he's not used to it, he would make mistakes. He said he'd drive 12 hours thru the night, sleep during the day and do it again the next night. He said the kids and I should sleep in the car, but I know I wouldn't. So I was thinking about just leaving very very early, about 4am and driving until about 4pm, just in time for check in at a hotel. Then do the same the next day. On the way back I think we would stop twice and enjoy the sights because I think I would weep all the way home from WDW!

Hi Sandra,
We are from Hamilton and that is exactly what we do. We leave between 3 and 4.a.m. The children go back to sleep in the car. We take blankets and pillows, lots of snacks and drinks. When you pick a motel to stop at your first night, try getting one with an indoor pool, (if your children like that sort of thing to get some exercise after sitting) or pick one near one of those fab factory outlet malls. then after sitting in the car all day you can stroll for a couple of hours in a mall after your supper then early to bed, and back up to drive again around 7 or 8. Try and book a motel that has a continental breakfast included in your price. Use the restaurants for washrooms instead of unstaffed rest stops, you can pick up a snack too.

Like I said sometimes we stay at daytona on our second night rather than wdw just to save the hour and a half drive, plus to have a stroll on the ocean in the a.m. then head to wdw the next day, by noon. It also saves paying big money for a wdw resort and not arrive till dinner time.

Make sure you have your birthcertificates, a bag with medicines gravol, tynelol etc right up front in the car, also extra wipes and bags. We drive thru niagra, new york, pennsylvania, etc if it is not winter. In winter you might want to do i 75. We are driving in april this year, although dh says he would still rather fly. (if they flew straight to florida out of john munroe airport in hamilton i might think about it). Have fun.

Deb

Hi Deb! Another Hamiltonian here! LOL;)

Boy I'd love it if flights left from Mount Hope! Our next trip is scheduled for March of next year and I hope that maybe West Jet (since it's really taking off here**pun**! LOL) will start up flights to Florida! It would be so much more of a convienience for us! Let's keep our fingers crossed.;) :wave:

WOW! We should all write letters to WEST JET to fly to FLORIDA! I would love that too! We are in Mississauga, it's about 40 minutes drive to Mount Hope, but way more convenient than Pearson. My SIL lives in Ancaster, so we could leave our car there! Driving might be an option soon, however, I am getting discouraged with Disney costs, and not in a Disney mood these days.

Hi Sammi:

Nice to hear from you, yes that would be so convenient to fly out of mount hope airport, but straight to florida rather than to pittsburgh like the one that flew out a few years ago. I have never flown, but I have told hubby over and over that I might think about it if it flew from mount hope.
I don't know why, maybe cause there would be less time for me to worry about flying driving to mount hope instead of on the QEW to pearson. As it is we will be driving down in april hopefully, first time since six years ago. Just short and sweet though, cause of that gruelling exchange rate, really puts a downer on any trip to the u.s.

Sandra: Yes it would be alot more convient for you too, as there is hardly anybody at the mount hope airport.

Bye

Deb.

LOL Sandra.....:) I actually can see West Jet trying a few Florida flights as they are doing a booming job even after Sept.11. I'll keep tabs on things and if I hear anything I'll be sure and post it!;)

Deb we had the opportuniy to fly via Mount Hope/Pittsburgh/Orlando but I said no way:p I'm not a great flyer either and it was only an 18 seater to Pittsburgh...yuck! I would like to try driving down one time (in the 7 times we've been we've flown) but DH hates to waste any of his vacation days driving and I don't drive so maybe when he retires and time isn't so important.;)

I'd love to hear all about your drive down Deb, please be sure to post when you get back and I hope you have a ball!:wave:

We have done both , I prefer driving. The ride is great, the extra nights in the motels along 95 really do add to the anticipation of getting there. Also on the ride home we take a couple extra days to make the vacation last a little longer. We like that much better than leaving Disney & being home in 3 hrs , BAM the funs over. We find many places to stay along 95 usually around $60 with a free breakfast but you can find places as low as $29 if you just want a bed. One thing I didnt see in most of the peoples budgets was a rental car once you get there. We always spend some time outside WDW for dinners ect. International drive has alot of stuff to choose from. We also usually go at Christmas and get a wilderness cabin in Fort Wilderness. Along with that goes xmas gifts (which for years we have hidden in storage areas of our conversion van, kids think santa was there), xmas decorations including a small tree, outside lights for cabin & decorations & bows for the golf cart. When we get there we usually unpack & spend the afternoon decorating the cabin & golf cart then grab a snack before we head off to the Magic Kingdom for the night. Another neat thing we have done, if we get there before check in we round up some sodas & snacks and rent a pontoon boat for a little cruise around the lake. You can cruise by all of the monorail resorts, the wilderness lodge & fort wilderness marina area. It is very relaxing !

Hi bigs,

That sounds great all the decorating of your cabin, it kind of personalizes it. I guess in the winter driving down to wdw you have to look for an "open window" of good weather.

Sammi I will try to remember to post about our drive down. Still not sure what day we are leaving though. Everytime I see that bad exchange rate I keep thinking that I should downsize my resort, and shorten the vacation, but on the other hand we have not been on a big trip in 6 years, and it is for our 25th anniversary so I don't want to scrimp this time. Also who knows if we will ever travel with our children ever again'

Deb.

Wow, I give all you guys credit that drive from Canada to WDW!! I live in NJ and go to WDW 3-4 times a year and in all of my trips to WDW I have only driven once and that was only one way!!!! This was about 26 years ago and I flew down and met my (then boyfriend but later hubbie) and after our vacation I drove back with him. I HATED it and have never even attempted it again! I do not like driving long distances in a car and therefore would never attempt to drive straight thru, to me it is a waste of my paid vacation days to sit in a car on a boring highway when I can use those vacation days to enjoy WDW, I LOVE having breakfast in NJ and lunch in WDW all in the same day, we are relaxed and fresh when we arrive in WDW after only a 2 hr flight, we hardly ever rent a car since we always stay onsite so that is not an added expense, and the savings for us would only be about $300.00. When you divide it up over the 18 hours of driving/stopping time each way plus the 8 hours of sleeping at a hotel down and back we would be losing 52 hours of WDW time. $300.00 divided by 52 comes out to an added expense of $5.76 per hour for more time at WDW, and a lot more convenience and comfort. It is worth every penny of the extra $300.00 to me. Of course, we are a family of 3, so the airfare is not that bad for us. Also by saving the 4 vacation days per trip by not driving, I easily have enough vacation days left for 3-4 trips per year. The only thing I do not like about flying vs driving is that you are limited on what you can bring and coming home the 2 hours of flying time does bring me back from the Magic to reality awful quickly! Going down it is great but coming home is a shock to your psyche!

Yes flying is definitely the way to go, but for me who is terrified of getting on a plane, it would just trigger my migraines and make me sick for the trip. Once my migraines start they are here for a good three or four days. I need to know that we can stop the car and I can get out when I need to, in a plane well you know the answer to that. Our drive is around 22 to 23 hours.

My other problem with flying is so many of my friends and relatives that fly tell me that within three to four days they have caught some strep throat or bad cold. I saw a show on tv and said that this does happen cause of the recycled air and if a passenger has a cold or sickness it can be spread.

Also it is cheaper to drive for four adults and we would need to rent a car cause we usually take a trip to the coast to see the ocean. So $500 vrs probably around $1500 plus rental car
$300, it is cheaper to drive. Also I guess I need to figure in the wear and tear on the family car.
I love in the spring to see the different states, and finally around north carolina or south carolina we see trees with leaves, flowers, things that are not out yet in ontario.

But if I could fly you are right it is quicker and easier. The drive down is not too bad but it is that drive back home that seems to take forever.

Bye,

Deb.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter