Galactic Starcruiser - what is next for this space?

People only hate Solo because it came out after The Last Jedi. For fans who decided that TLJ "killed Star Wars," everything in the new era became dead to them. This is ironic because Solo is very much the kind of movie that those fans would probably like - it would give them everything they want, including fan service that aggrandizes OT characters as the best ever. However, because of TLJ it was determined that anything done in the Dinsey era was bad and could no longer be afforded respect.
I agree with this take Brian. You seem to really be coming around to understanding the damage that TLJ did in the Star Wars fandom. I respect that you don’t agree with my thoughts on TLJ, but at least you understand how many people disliked the direction that movie took SW.

I don’t think TLJ “killed Star Wars”, but I do think it gave SW a pretty severe illness that it may not ever fully recover from. You just can’t put that genie back in the bottle, unless you do a full retcon……which Disney will never do. Some of those fans that left due to TLJ will never be the super fans they once were. They don’t collect anymore, they don’t discuss SW anymore, they just moved on.

Last edited:
I agree with this take Brian. You seem to really be coming around to understanding the damage that TLJ did in the Star Wars fandom. I respect that you don’t agree with my thoughts on TLJ, but at least you understand how many people disliked the direction that movie took SW.

I don’t think TLJ “killed Star Wars”, but I do think it gave SW a pretty severe illness that it may not ever fully recover from. You just can’t put that genie back in the bottle, unless you do a full retcon……which Disney will never do. Some of those fans that left due to TLJ will never be the super fans they once were. They don’t collect anymore, they don’t discuss SW anymore, they just moved on.

I wouldn't say coming around. I would say that the reactionary nonsense of disliking a different movie because one didn't like a certain one is silly. I mean, I know people who loved TFA and Rogue One, but after TLJ, suddenly hated them. And the "reasons" are ridiculous too. The fact is, Solo is the movie those fans would have liked, but they hatr it just based on TLJ, even though the two have very little to do with each other. Oh, but Kathleen Kennedy worked on both, so they MUST BE TERRIBLE. 🙄

Last edited:
I liked TFA, I thought Rey and Finn particularly had lots of potential for character development and story arc.

I liked Rogue One a lot, probably the best SW movie done under Disney’s leadership by a fairly big margin.

I disliked TLJ so much I will admit it damaged my love of SW as a whole and certainly changed how I viewed TFA. If it leads to that story direction that I fundamentally dislike and disagree with…..can I really enjoy TFA anymore? My love / fandom for SW will likely never be the same after TLJ. Well short of a full retcon and Disney will never do that, because they would have to admit they made a mistake……and Disney and KK will never do that.

Your comment is like saying the 7th and 8th seasons of Game of Thrones didn’t damage the perception of GoT as a whole. That’s crazy-talk right? Of course a bad season / movie can damage the IP as a whole. So of course after TLJ was so poorly received by many fans they reevaluated their approval of the Disney ST as a whole.

Why do you think JJ tried to repair everything in TROP? Because Disney freaked out and was trying to do damage control.

I liked TFA, I thought Rey and Finn particularly had lots of potential for character development and story arc.

I liked Rogue One a lot, probably the best SW movie done under Disney’s leadership by a fairly big margin.

I disliked TLJ so much I will admit it damaged my love of SW as a whole and certainly changed how I viewed TFA. If it leads to that story direction that I fundamentally dislike and disagree with…..can I really enjoy TFA anymore? My love / fandom for SW will likely never be the same after TLJ. Well short of a full retcon and Disney will never do that, because they would have to admit they made a mistake……and Disney and KK will never do that.

Your comment is like saying the 7th and 8th seasons of Game of Thrones didn’t damage the perception of GoT as a whole. That’s crazy-talk right? Of course a bad season / movie can damage the IP as a whole. So of course after TLJ was so poorly received by many fans they reevaluated their approval of the Disney ST as a whole.

Why do you think JJ tried to repair everything in TROP? Because Disney freaked out and was trying to do damage control.

Well, again, it's the reasons why people started to dislike them, which I really don't want to go into here. Solo really stands on it's own though, disconnected from the Sequels. So many people say Rogue One is their favorite Star Wars movie. They are both very much "Fan's Movies", for better or for worse (too much fan/nostalgia service can be worse in my book).

I think that's a misconception about TROS trying to "fix" TLJ. It really doesn't. Again, everything about TLJ that needed to be "fixed" was already fixed by the end of that movie. TROS just continued the trend.

Also, TROP is not the proper abbreviation nor name of that movie. Again, you don't have to like it, but come on! That's exactly the type of thing that makes people dismissive of your arguments.

House of the Dragon showed that GOT is still big among fans as long as Benioff and Weiss stay far away.

TROP seems a tad more accurate to me.

I saw no Skywalker’s rising in that movie, but maybe I missed it.

Hey, you are welcome to your critique as to how successful the movie was at conveying that message, but a snide and disparaging retitling of the film is dismissive and unnecessary.

Hey, you are welcome to your critique as to how successful the movie was at conveying that message, but a snide and disparaging retitling of the film is dismissive and unnecessary.
You are not the gatekeeper of SW theory and thought, or to my knowledge you have not been elected as such. I won’t change the way I think about things due to fragile feelings based rebukes.

You don’t agree with my thoughts so you take every single opportunity to nitpick everything I post. I am sure your efforts are to silence me, but I will continue to think for myself on these matters.

I am going to turn the other cheek and let this go here, but your consistent badgering about what you don’t believe I should think, is tiresome.

You like the direction that Disney took the SW Sequels and I do not. Can we simply leave it at that and move on? I do have great hopes that Favreau can right the ship and give the jaded fans like me some hope again.

You are not the gatekeeper of SW theory and thought, or to my knowledge you have not been elected as such. I won’t change the way I think about things due to fragile feelings based rebukes.

You don’t agree with my thoughts so you take every single opportunity to nitpick everything I post. I am sure your efforts are to silence me, but I will continue to think for myself on these matters.

I am going to turn the other cheek and let this go here, but your consistent badgering about what you don’t believe I should think, is tiresome.

You like the direction that Disney took the SW Sequels and I do not. Can we simply leave it at that and move on? I do have great hopes that Favreau can right the ship and give the jaded fans like me some hope again.

Hey, you can think whatever you want about the movie, but you can't just change it's name. I mean, I've never loved the name Attack of the Clones, but you know, that's the name. I don't constantly retitle it because I feel something else would have been better.

It's one thing to say that, "I don't feel that Rey earned the name Skywalker in the movie and it would have been better if she would have embraced the name Palpatine because...." That's fair. But to just call it "TROP"? It took me a minute to even realize what movie you were talking about. It's confusing and clearly intended to be a slight.

Sorta like “baby Yoda” instead of Grogu?

You angry that the fandom seems to have altered that name? You up in arms about that name change in the fandom also?

Sorta like “baby Yoda” instead of Grogu?

You angry that the fandom seems to have altered that name? You up in arms about that name change in the fandom also?

"Baby Yoda" was just the name before we knew the real name, and it kind of stuck. The difference is that is not intended to denigrate the character or idea - it's a term of endearment. I think that most fans do call him Grogu now.

Fans can't just change the name of a movie because they don't like it.

Last edited:
I still believe the star-cruiser could have worked, it just couldn’t work when you choose only the ST to base it own. Had it been more broad based including the other generations of SW fans favorite characters, I think it would have been better attended.

I still believe the star-cruiser could have worked, it just couldn’t work when you choose only the ST to base it own. Had it been more broad based including the other generations of SW fans favorite characters, I think it would have been better attended.
and a cheaper price......

price point ruled my family out from the get go, no way id ever spend that kind of money on something like that, i couldnt justify it.

and a cheaper price......

price point ruled my family out from the get go, no way id ever spend that kind of money on something like that, i couldnt justify it.

I think that's truly the most important aspect. It could have been based on nearly anything, but at that price it would always limit the number of people who could possibly partake.

I think that's truly the most important aspect. It could have been based on nearly anything, but at that price it would always limit the number of people who could possibly partake.
Agree somewhat. The OT (older) fans have by far the most amount of disposable income. By basing it only on the ST (youngest fans) you ignored a huge chunk of the fans who had the means to drop that much coin to play Star Wars.

I also agree the cost was a significant barrier, but i would say more so due to part of the fandom you catered to.

Price and the amenities. No pool and no windows = hard pass, would not matter who was there. The LARPing for 2 days was also a turn off. I would like a dinner and a show, but not the 24 hour thing.

On the DVC threads there are folks discussing the idea of a Star Wars DVC and if they would turn the StarCruiser into DVC.

I would think HARD about buying more points if there was a Star Wars themed DVC resort. A real deluxe resort with a cool pool, restaurants, and themed bar with SEATING. I hate Oga's Cantina... so uncomfortable, unless you can score one of the tables... standing around with strangers at little tables while your feet hurt from walking around the park all day... yeah not until there is a new mug.

Price and the amenities. No pool and no windows = hard pass, would not matter who was there. The LARPing for 2 days was also a turn off. I would like a dinner and a show, but not the 24 hour thing.

Yes, I don't think it would matter if it was OT based or not - at those prices the hotel needed to be nicer and the LARPing doesn't appeal to a lot of people, even myself.

Last edited:
Agree somewhat. The OT (older) fans have by far the most amount of disposable income. By basing it only on the ST (youngest fans) you ignored a huge chunk of the fans who had the means to drop that much coin to play Star Wars.

I also agree the cost was a significant barrier, but i would say more so due to part of the fandom you catered to.
i'm a huge fan of the original trilogy, but my kids are more fans of the new trilogy. disney has to cater to both sides.

to me SGE is a swing and a miss because of that. they need to find a better way incorporate both into SGE and the hotel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter