garden grill or cape may buffet

jemtx

DIS Veteran
Which is a better choice for dinner? Staying at YC, but not huge seafood eaters. Garden Grill sounded fun, but heard mixed reviews on the food?

Are they both the same price for dinner?

If you are not into seafood, I would say Garden Grill. Were you looking for a character meal? If so, Cape May only has them at brft, and is a good choice for that. Garden Grill has them at all meals. The food is traditional, turkey, mashed potatoes, etc. Also for Garden Grill you have to go into Epcot, so depends on if you are using a park ticket on that day. Let us know what you are trying to plan and we can suggest choices for you.

Cassie58. Thanks so much for your help. We’re not necessarily looking for a character meal since we’re doing Chef Mickeys earlier in the week for dinner. I’m also thinking of Cape May breakfast buffet or Ale & Compass buffet for breakfast the day we leave since we won’t be going to parks that day.
Initially, we had been set with cape May for dinner, but then I started thinking it might be a waste of money since we don’t eat seafood. Will there be enough other food to justify cost?
It sounded nice that you don’t have to get up and get food at garden grill, but I’ve seen mixed reviews on the food.
Thanks so much.

Last edited:
I don’t eat seafood either so Cape May dinner has never been on my radar. It has a very fishy smell just walking by in the evenings and I find that off putting.

That being said, we LOVE Cape May for breakfast and go there every year. I never notice a smell at breakfast.

Just checking about character meal preference because if not, there are a lot of choices in Epcot. Coral Reef is cool because you get to eat with a view of the aquarium, and is regular sit down dinner. And of course you have all the countries depending on the type of food you like. A lot of people like Teppan Edo in Japan where they do the chopping and cooking in front of you(like Benihana), sort of a meal with entertainment. I would look at the menus on the app for which you might enjoy. Also, there is a stickey at the top of the Restaurant forum where you can see prices for buffet/AYCTE meals.

We love Cape May, but we all love seafood (and live in Ohio). If you have one in your party who does not like seafood I would say OK, there are other options. If no one in your party likes seafood, I would eat elsewhere. Garden Grill is fine but does require a park ticket for entry.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I guess we were looking to relax at SAB and hotel after a park day. I was afraid that we’ll be eating the kids buffet along with my DS (9). We’ll have the ticket to go back into EPCOT, but kind of wanted to hang around YC/BC

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I guess we were looking to relax at SAB and hotel after a park day. I was afraid that we’ll be eating the kids buffet along with my DS (9). We’ll have the ticket to go back into EPCOT, but kind of wanted to hang around YC/BC
I would consider Ale and Compass at YC, or if you feel like splurging, Yachtsman Steakhouse.

How is Ale & Compass? Used to like The Captain’s Grille many, many years ago. We were thinking of trying the Ale & Compass breakfast buffet.

Anyone have recent experience with what the non/seafood items are in the Cape May dinner buffet?

Thanks

Last edited:
I am not a seafood lover and I LOVE Cape May for dinner. There are a lot of options! there is a nice carving station of beef, chicken, and so much more. It is definitely not all seafood. Its a must for us every trip, and we are BCV owners so we are there alot. Go! I think you'd love it, especially if you're staying right there.

If you would be up for Italian--I would also recommend Tratoria Al Forno over at the Boardwalk. It is a little lower key and has several great options for kids. We have been there twice the last two times we have been there---and it somehow ends up being one of our favorite meals each time.

If you would be up for Italian--I would also recommend Tratoria Al Forno over at the Boardwalk. It is a little lower key and has several great options for kids. We have been there twice the last two times we have been there---and it somehow ends up being one of our favorite meals each time.
Thanks

Between Garden Grill and Cape May, I'd suggest Cape May. Cape May has a much bigger selection of food (the kids mac and cheese is delicious) and desserts. Garden Grill is family style and very meat and potatoes.

If you wanted to hit Epcot that departure morning GG is a fun breakfast and was one of our favorites. I would skip Cape May, only because you already have CM. I suggest Tratorria Farewell breakfast instead on departure day. Ti I have not been, but the reviews are really good. I am biased when it comes to departure day meals. WE always schedule a character breakfast if at all possible.

Another vote for Garden Grill its one of the families favorites but I have to be honest being Jewish the seafood stuff they serve at Cape May does not interest me. In fact Cape May is one of the very few places we have never tried.

Another vote for Garden Grill its one of the families favorites but I have to be honest being Jewish the seafood stuff they serve at Cape May does not interest me. In fact Cape May is one of the very few places we have never tried.

I don't think you are missing much. I love seafood but I prefer an entree cooked fish if I am going to indulge dinner.

Anyone have recent experience with what the non/seafood items are in the Cape May dinner buffet?
Thanks

Cold Offerings - Cantaloupe, Grapes and Strawberries in an Orange Basil Dressing, Red Pepper Hummus, Black Olive Hummus, Selection of Cheeses, Four Bean Salad in a Red Wine Vinaigrette, Pickled Red Beets, Cape May House Salad, Caesar Salad, Greek Salad, Quinoa Salad with Cranberries and Brie, Chilled Marinated Shrimp, Marinated Olives, house-made breads and accompaniments
2 kinds of soup
Hot Offerings - Broccoli Pasta (Sun & Wed), Vodka Cream Pasta (Mon, Thurs & Sat), Orecchiette Cream Pasta (Tues & Fri), Chicken Breast with Mushroom Sauce (Sun, Tues, Wed & Fri), Barbecue Pork Ribs (Mon, Thurs & Sat), Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Steam Corn on the Cob, Steamed Red Potatoes, Broccolini with Caramelized Shallots
Carving Station - Hand-carved Strip Loin with Horseradish Cream and Onion Jam
Dessert Selections - Seasonal Cheesecake with Whipped Cream, Flourless Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Puree, Key Lime Chiffon Cake, Individual Caramel Flan Cookies, Cupcakes and Brownies

These are all non-seafood.

Cassie58. Thanks so much for your help. We’re not necessarily looking for a character meal since we’re doing Chef Mickeys earlier in the week for dinner. I’m also thinking of Cape May breakfast buffet or Ale & Compass buffet for breakfast the day we leave since we won’t be going to parks that day.
Initially, we had been set with cape May for dinner, but then I started thinking it might be a waste of money since we don’t eat seafood. Will there be enough other food to justify cost?
It sounded nice that you don’t have to get up and get food at garden grill, but I’ve seen mixed reviews on the food.
Thanks so much.

If you're not into seafood, then Cape May is not a good fix for you. It has lots of other foods, but the main thing most people go for is the great steamed seafood. We have gone there since opening and it's a must have ressie every trip. We have never been disappointed, and we're from south LA where fresh seafood is abundant.

Yes, it does have a seafood smell, after all that's the main draw there - smells scrumptious if you enjoy seafood, otherwise, best to dine elsewhere.

Cold Offerings - Cantaloupe, Grapes and Strawberries in an Orange Basil Dressing, Red Pepper Hummus, Black Olive Hummus, Selection of Cheeses, Four Bean Salad in a Red Wine Vinaigrette, Pickled Red Beets, Cape May House Salad, Caesar Salad, Greek Salad, Quinoa Salad with Cranberries and Brie, Chilled Marinated Shrimp, Marinated Olives, house-made breads and accompaniments
2 kinds of soup
Hot Offerings - Broccoli Pasta (Sun & Wed), Vodka Cream Pasta (Mon, Thurs & Sat), Orecchiette Cream Pasta (Tues & Fri), Chicken Breast with Mushroom Sauce (Sun, Tues, Wed & Fri), Barbecue Pork Ribs (Mon, Thurs & Sat), Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Steam Corn on the Cob, Steamed Red Potatoes, Broccolini with Caramelized Shallots
Carving Station - Hand-carved Strip Loin with Horseradish Cream and Onion Jam
Dessert Selections - Seasonal Cheesecake with Whipped Cream, Flourless Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Puree, Key Lime Chiffon Cake, Individual Caramel Flan Cookies, Cupcakes and Brownies

These are all non-seafood.
Thank you so much for the detailed menu. Very helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter