• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Gator grabs 2 year old at Grand Floridian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can, to an extent.

If they know there's a potential threat of harm, they need to disclose it.

Just like how a store will put out a wet floor sign at the entrance when it's raining.

Should be common sense that the floor will be wet from people coming inside from the rain, however, the store is aware of the potential safety hazard, and they warn the public.

I disagree. Again, you are outdoors, not indoors in a highly controlled environment. If they have to warn of any type of harm that may happen outdoors in Florida, the list would be extensive. Gators, snakes, lightening, hail, cougars, amoebas, traffic accidents, and on and on.

They are just saying on CNN that studies show that people don't read most of the information they are given. Signs included.

Waiting for this presser on CNN and the anchor couldn't be more obnoxious. "Snatched from a Disney resort" he makes it sound like the gator took the kid from his crib in his hotel room.

The media just loves to dramatize, speculate, and be clueless I guess

This is so tragic...I do love Disneyworld but I think they should have had signs up about gators. My husband and I have been on the path between the Poly and GF dozens of times late at night, and we had no clue. We are both handicapped and move very slowly...we could never get away from any sized gator. This is an example of lack of what in retrospect was probably some management person at WDW worried about potential dollars lost, in place of common sense...and common decency to people that need to know that kind of thing....

I disagree. Again, you are outdoors, not indoors in a highly controlled environment. If they have to warn of any type of harm that may happen outdoors in Florida, the list would be extensive. Gators, snakes, lightening, hail, cougars, amoebas, traffic accidents, and on and on.

They are just saying on CNN that studies show that people don't read most of the information they are given. Signs included.

So a lifeguard at the beach spots a shark, he does nothing? Thinks, well, these people are outside, in the ocean, where sharks live, I'm sure they understand that they can be bit? No. You blow the whistle and get people out of there.

You are Disney and pulling numerous gators out of the lagoon. You know kids play on the beach on the lagoon. You make sure parents know about how many gators you are pulling out of there. You give them the information. I know I would. I can't imagine that you wouldn't. Perhaps that's the case.

And that would likely be the case here as well...

This myth that people don't tune these out...and inhibitions are not LOWER at WDW than in nearly all other places...is just wrong.

An alligator sign likely wouldn't prevent this.

And now we know a village is missing a certain someone. Please, for the love of Mickey, crawl back into that bubble before something gets you. If you think that is needed, how about at your house? Do you have signage all around your house to not touch that live electrical wire or do you know that it wouldn't be a good idea? How about a sign on all of your knives? Do you warn guests of how sharp they are? Where is your signage? See where I'm going with this? Blaming Disney is not the answer.

I actually thought their comment was imma
What would you expect Disney to do? Disney had complete media silence after the shootings. I expect nothing different for this.
One happened on property the other didnt. So yeah I expect disney to say something to show the child and a family were not just income.

We've been watching out our window at the Poly trying to figure out what is going on. Heartbreaking.
I got chills as soon as I read your post. So terrible for everyone involved and I can't imagine being there with this going on. Orlando has such a terrible week with nothing but tragedy.
What a horrible accident, the poor family. :(

I actually thought their comment was imma

One happened on property the other didnt. So yeah I expect disney to say something to show the child and a family were not just income.
I'm not expecting anything on their social media. A spokesperson gave a statement last night. I expect another one soon.

So a lifeguard at the beach spots a shark, he does nothing? Thinks, well, these people are outside, in the ocean, where sharks live, I'm sure they understand that they can be bit? No. You blow the whistle and get people out of there.

You are Disney and pulling numerous gators out of the lagoon. You know kids play on the beach on the lagoon. You make sure parents know about how many gators you are pulling out of there. You give them the information. I know I would. I can't imagine that you wouldn't. Perhaps that's the case.

No...Disney would not do this. They aren't anti safety...but they are very much pro asthestics...which is ultimately pro business.

And the difference between a lifeguard at the beach and here is that you EXPECT people to be in the water at the beach.

Disney doesn't have roving lifeguard patrols for posted no swimming areas...and they Never will...

Why? The business...they wouldn't tolerate the cost for a second.

A few thoughts since this morning.......why are there beaches there to begin with? I believe people come to Florida and expect to go to the beach. Even though WDW is in the middle of the state they gave the guests a beach. Another reason is theming by imagineers. The Polynesian was designed to give one the feel of the South Pacific.

Many here have stood on these beaches to watch the electrical water pageant and Fireworks at MK and stood to close to waters edge. You don't have to be in the water to be struck by a gator. Disney does have a program in place to deal with Alligators. I have been on the Palm or a Magnolia golf course,whichever is across from GF, and have seen WDW personnel sitting on a golf cart monitoring a large gator on the course. They let him lie in the sun while we played through. I believe you get a gator drop without penalty if you get too close.

I have to believe if Disney personnel knew of a risk something in the water something would have been said. I am afraid that the General Public is quick too push back when a 18-20 year old lifeguard tells a family to stop walking in the water. This is a tragedy off Nature. I know people want to punish someone for the child's death. There may be no one to blame except nature.

If you read what i was replying to, you would see i was replying to a hypothetical question of what the response would be if there HAD been signs. Im well aware there are none. Im one of the ones saying there should be.
I was not disagreeing with you, didnt mean for it to come off that way. I have actually agreed with what you have said on the thread. I think we have a similar view point that people are missing. No one is mad at the alligator.

They may not read them, but they'll never even have the chance, will they, if they're not there?

And that would likely be the case here as well...

This myth that people don't tune these out...and inhibitions are not LOWER at WDW than in nearly all other places...is just wrong.

An alligator sign likely wouldn't prevent this.

I think people want or maybe even need to believe it would have made a difference. Makes it easier to handle if you are able to blame something or someone, you know?

No...Disney would not do this. They aren't anti safety...but they are very much pro asthestics...which is ultimately pro business.

And the difference between a lifeguard at the beach and here is that you EXPECT people to be in the water at the beach.

Disney doesn't have roving lifeguard patrols for posted no swimming areas...and they Never will...

Why? The business...they wouldn't tolerate the cost for a second.

I can't believe for a second that they don't expect people to put their feet in the water. Tourists are crazy. They know this more than anyone else. I just can't fathom that they wouldn't have a sign saying stay out of the water, knowing that gator team B just pulled out 20 gators last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter