Gay Ignorance = Gay Avoidance???

Mama Twinkles said:
Your post warms my heart. Thank you, mickeymousemom, for being here and for speaking up. You are the kind of mom that other people's kids will come to for support when they realize they are gay, a treasure for any frightened teen.

No problem here. I have had quite the arguments with my in-laws about this. When DH and I first married, he was a little more close minded than I, though more open-minded than the rest of his family. It was interesting to see him come around...esp. after he started working with a girl who happened to be a lesbian and began to REALLY see what I had been trying to tell him for so many months. This is the 21st century, and why this country and others find it so doggone hard to let people live their lives in a peaceful manner, I'll never know. The sheer ignorance and judgmental ways of so many people TICK me off. Being gay is not a sin, but for those people who think it is...look at yourselves in the mirror and be ready...you'll be standing in line with the rest of us on judgment day.

BTW....I absolutely LOVE these boards. The diversity of people is awesome. And I love being able to politely speak my mind. Other boards don't even allow that past a certain degree. I hope to eventually make many friends here! :grouphug:

True North said:
Being from Canada and just finishing the fight for equal marriage, that is the only way for things will get done. Through civil, educated discussions the GLTB community can showcase their need for equality. Through fighting and arguing it become an issue of "us versus them" which is much harder to win.

I am very lucky to be from Canada. I would be interested to hear how one would think the gay community in the United States is trying to obtain "super-rights." I have never heard someone say the GLTB community in Canada has obtained "super-rights" yet our country is so much farther along. The Charter of Rights and Freedoms in Canada ensures equality, no matter sex, race, sexual preference, religion, or ethnic background. This equality has ensure all minority rights, which was just seen through the laws regarding same-sex marriage.

The thing I find fun is how often gay rights are mentioned in American news. It seems once a week there is a story about it, whether there is a fight in favour or against. Here the GLTB community as a whole is rearly in the news becuase we have been given equality and there is little else to be said. It may seem like one is looking for super rights, but just by granting equality you will see nothing more is asked for.

Your right. It is just equality we're talking about. It seems like we in the US could learn some lessons from our neighbors to the North.

Tiggerroo - you are asking questions that a lot of people ask. Just keep asking! As someone else posted - any question asked in search of information/knowledge/enlightenment is a good question. To answer some of your questions:

1: meeting? same as any straight couple, trial and error. Yes, there are specific places such as clubs, dinners, bars - but the process is the same as for hetero couples/folks.

2: how do you know you're gay - you find the same sex more interesting than the opposite. Not just sexually, but in all ways. I told someone once that a lesbian has the best of all worlds - your best friend is your lover AND you can share clothes :)

3: when did you first realize that you are gay - when relationships with men didn't work over and over - I decided to look at why...found the problem wasn't the people, but the plumbing!

4: do you think it should be such an issue politically to be gay - someome else posted that stopping violence is more important (I agree), but politics being what they are those who indulge will use what ever weapon to get what they desire (power). I feel it is wrong, but am unable to change it at this point in time.

5: do you think all non gays are ignorant because they don't understand - NOPE< NOPE, NOPE....most people are ignorant because they are afraid, lazy, or apathetic towards learning and expanding themselves. Fear begats Fear, stop the fear and understanding and acceptance will follow.

I am openly gay, supported by family and friends and have a wonderful relationship - with my GF and her mom, my GF AND her mom and my mom all get along well - can any couple ask for more???

nwdisgal said:
I always cringe when I hear the immorality of homosexuality discussed in the context of religion. Religion should be a positive in peoples lives, or one would hope, but it can have such devastating effects to the contrary.

I have a family member who is deceased :( largely because her religion told her it was a sin to be gay. She was a devout Catholic (I'm not personally bashing Catholics - just happened to be her sect of the religion that was anti-gay). Anyway, she struggled with her devotion to her faith all her life and being a lesbian. I wonder how different her life would have been, if she had a positive influence of religion in her life rather than a negative one. It seems to me an odd paradox that Christianity is built around Jesus Christ, who represented a loving, non-judgemental person that advocated for the equality of all mankind. Yes, we all have the right to worship freely, but the doctrine of intolerence that comes out of some sects of the Christian faith seems so un-Christian like to me. :confused3 JMO.

While I agree with the fact that I can't stand when I hear someone say IT IS A SIN...I don't totally agree that Christian faith is un-Christian like.
Don't let a few...ok more than a few, narrow minded so called christians speak for the entire Christian faith. Even though it is Sunday I don't plan on preaching to or at you. I just wanted to let you know that I too am a Christian. I am very open minded, non judgemental, love one another kinda gal! Don't let one (or two) sour pickle's make you dumb the entire jar!

themudd4 said:
While I agree with the fact that I can't stand when I hear someone say IT IS A SIN...I don't totally agree that Christian faith is un-Christian like.
Don't let a few...ok more than a few, narrow minded so called christians speak for the entire Christian faith. Even though it is Sunday I don't plan on preaching to or at you. I just wanted to let you know that I too am a Christian. I am very open minded, non judgemental, love one another kinda gal! Don't let one (or two) sour pickle's make you dumb the entire jar!

I'm a Christian too and used to teach Sunday School. I wasn't bashing Christians as a whole or people individually for being a Christian. I hope you didn't take it as such. I don't associate Christianity with being a hypocrit. Not at all! What I was saying is that there are some people who call themselves Christians, but don't act very Christian-like in the way they treat people. That is the person though - not the religion. You can have someone sit through a sermon on kindness and generosity to others, and walk out of the church and forget all that was said inside the church and be a jerk. You could have that in any religion, I was just illustrating Christianity as an example, because it is a religion that I am familiar with.

nwdisgal said:
I'm a Christian too and used to teach Sunday School. I wasn't bashing Christians as a whole or people individually for being a Christian. I hope you didn't take it as such. I don't associate Christianity with being a hypocrit. Not at all! What I was saying is that there are some people who call themselves Christians, but don't act very Christian-like in the way they treat people. That is the person though - not the religion. You can have someone sit through a sermon on kindness and generosity to others, and walk out of the church and forget all that was said inside the church and be a jerk. You could have that in any religion, I was just illustrating Christianity as an example, because it is a religion that I am familiar with.

OKAY! Oops...my bad! :rolleyes1

Guess I just read it wrong. Hard to hear the tone of ones voice while they are typing! :lmao:

themudd4 said:
OKAY! Oops...my bad! :rolleyes1

Guess I just read it wrong. Hard to hear the tone of ones voice while they are typing! :lmao:

Yah, I agree with you. :sunny: It is hard to tell a person's tone - that is the one thing I don't like about internet or e-mail.

donald...really said:
Q: when did you first realize that you are gay
A: I realized I was attracted to boys when I was in the first grade. This was before I knew what "sex" or "gay" was. I remember seeing a picture of a boy about my age in a school book and feeling attracted to him.
Seriously? 1st grade? My DS is in 3 grade. It is very hard, nope, make that impossible, for me to imagine him being attracted to anyone, no matter the sex!

Of course I will probably still feel that way when he is 40!

I really don't remember first grade, except that my teacher was a big meanie. I guess I first felt attracted (crush) to someone around the 5th grade. Late bloomer, I am!

ETA: I keep reading about "super rights." What does this mean? I hadn't heard it until reading this board.

A few notes and observations I made while reading this thread:

d4est: Yes, I was in the first grade. Like I said, it wasn't about sex, I don't even think I would call it a crush. I just clearly remember looking and looking at that picture of the cute little blond boy in my book and feeling something deep down in my stomach. It is not uncommon for gay people to say the first time they knew they were "different" was when they were about 6 years old.

Empare: When you get a phone call from one of your old friends asking if you are "back to normal", the answer is not "NO". The answer is "I have always been normal. For me, being gay IS normal. Hate and homophobia is not normal. Abandoning your friends because of who they are is not normal. Why don't you call me when YOU are normal". And then hang up.

Kaelyn: I am not about to try and change your mind, or open your mind to how homophobic you truly are. I am not going to say the same things people have been saying for years and you have chosen to ignore (that it is not a choice, that they are EQUAL rights not special rights, etc etc etc). I just want to say I am glad you are not this gay mans best friend. Because as they say, with friends like you, who needs enemies.

My husband just told me dinner is ready. Tonight was his night to cook, but I get to clean up.

Peace all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter