• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Genie Plus, a must for busy days.

🗣NO IT’S NOT.

Can we stop with the fear-mongering on this topic? G+ saves you time in lines but it’s far from a perfect solution and Standby is ALWAYS a viable option, even on busy days. We went last weekend also and did just fine not using it at all, we did every attraction we wanted in MK and HS without it, including Rise and SDD and 7DMT and Peter Pan and I could keep going but can we just stop with the clickbait posts?

By noon on Saturday the standby line at the Haunted Mansion was close to an hour, which is an unacceptable time for me. Other big rides (Pirates, Big Thunder and Jungle) were all about the same. With G+ we were able to do all of those in much less time. It's not fear mongering, we only go once every two or three years and wanted to make the best use of our time. Believe me I HATE that Disney is making me pay for something I used to get for free just because they can.

Wow, look at the Standby Line wait times right now, at the start of this busy Thanksgiving week.

I realize the Wait Times are inflated, but if I were at WDW right now, I would probably feel pressured into lightening my wallet in order to access Lightening Lanes.

Looking at the tip board this morning has confirmed my worst fears about this. The number of rides with LL gone by 10 am is way too high. And we’re not even at peak crowds yet. Being online at 7am EVERY DAY seems like a must and if you don’t rope drop you’re at a huge disadvantage. DHS is a mess - you basically get 1 ride booked at 7am and most things will be gone by the time you can make a 2nd. MK looks at least OK due to the number of rides but wow - if you have any memories of FP+ I don’t see how your stress levels using this system aren’t off the charts compared to before.

At 11am, no LL availability for Slinky Dog (of course), Millenium Falcon, Safari (probably will become an ILL$ when Everest goes on refurb in January), and Test Track.

We got SDD at 7am, and then Falcon at 11am two weeks ago, but guess we will need a different game plan during our busy 2022 Spring Break week.

Looking at the tip board this morning has confirmed my worst fears about this. The number of rides with LL gone by 10 am is way too high. And we’re not even at peak crowds yet. Being online at 7am EVERY DAY seems like a must and if you don’t rope drop you’re at a huge disadvantage. DHS is a mess - you basically get 1 ride booked at 7am and most things will be gone by the time you can make a 2nd. MK looks at least OK due to the number of rides but wow - if you have any memories of FP+ I don’t see how your stress levels using this system aren’t off the charts compared to before.

Hello, so the LL passes run out or they are limited quantities available?

Wow, look at the Standby Line wait times right now, at the start of this busy Thanksgiving week.

I realize the Wait Times are inflated, but if I were at WDW right now, I would probably feel pressured into lightening my wallet in order to access Lightening Lanes.
Here now, MK day today. We are glad we did early entry and lightning lanes but still refuse to spend more money on the fancy rides. I just don’t think there’s any ride worth $11-15 per person per ride. We have gotten plenty done with lightning lane and still have a lot more day left!

I do think the title is clickbait-y, and I disagree with the assessment.

Having gone just before and during the launch of G+ and having TP, I will say that G+ is helpful but even on busy days like on the weekends you don’t need G+. We went to MK and DHS with and without it to compare.

So my view on this is really on what you are prioritizing for your trip. I heard a others in the LL say that they wanted to get G+ so they could get one more ride in before the 2 little ones needed a nap. I heard another family complain that they hated how long the lines were, even the LL ones. For me it was just myself and my wife so it was about maximizing our day from a $ standpoint.

Even from $ standpoint there are a few versions as you can view it from the $ spent per day for a ticket or the time saved by using G+. My version of this is how many rides do I get in a day and how many more can I get with G+.

So I was looking at roughly 11 rides per day if I didn’t park hop, around 10 if I did. On the day I did try G+ I got 14 rides with park hopping. Basically I could count on G+ as worth +3 rides for me when utilized. In case anyone wonders if my rides per day is low, it’s because I had a 10 day ticket and had an ADR every day which utilized 1.5-2 hours on average.

I honestly didn‘t feel like I needed to get G+ but wanted to see what the difference was. My view is that the +3 rides per day was helpful but I liked using TP more. Given that it’s a one-time fee for an annual subscription that can help 2-10 people groups, the value is a lot higher with TP than with G+ for one day per person. TP probably was worth +2-2.5 rides per day Based on my plans (rope-drop, take a break around 11, go hard at 3pm, skip fireworks after seeing them one night so you can get 2-4 additional rides). I fully utilized all EMH and EEH as well so those do skew the ride numbers slightly higher too.

Of course when you use G+ and TP they overlap a bit with each other and you probably can get ~+4 rides using TP & G+.

Again it really depends on how you visit the parks and how much of a planner you are. I think I’d rather spend more money on adding more days to the trip than paying for G+ and ILL$, but I can see those on a shorter trip wanting to “do-it-all” and using the paid methods.

TL;DR TP is the best bang for the buck, G+ is usable and helpful, but not required.

Here now, MK day today. We are glad we did early entry and lightning lanes but still refuse to spend more money on the fancy rides. I just don’t think there’s any ride worth $11-15 per person per ride. We have gotten plenty done with lightning lane and still have a lot more day left!

For Space Mountain and Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, I agree!

Glad your day is going well.

I didn't realize they ran out. Sort of assumed you could schedule one ride per every two hours. Still not sure I understand what "stacking" is? Regardless for our upcoming trip we are leaning toward not using it. We aren't ride commandos. We have our favorites, but like just being in the parks and chilling out. Probably why we like Epcot so much.

I just got back from a week long trip. I had prepaid for Genie+. I also think it is a must have and we used the individual lines a lot more than I had anticipated.

I do think it is a questionable purchase if you are staying offsite. By 7:05, most of the good stuff was long gone so I would imagine it would be very difficult to use at 9.

I also intentionally booked my first one at 11:05 or later so I could get a second selection at 11. I generally had two LL selections at any given time.

I just got back from a week long trip. I had prepaid for Genie+. I also think it is a must have and we used the individual lines a lot more than I had anticipated.

I do think it is a questionable purchase if you are staying offsite. By 7:05, most of the good stuff was long gone so I would imagine it would be very difficult to use at 9.

I also intentionally booked my first one at 11:05 or later so I could get a second selection at 11. I generally had two LL selections at any given time.
Offsite can book at 7:00. ILL$ they can not.

I didn't realize they ran out.
They don't cut off sales of Genie+ — they'll always take your $15 — but the number of reservations for each ride is limited throughout the day. So reservations for popular rides (Slinky Dog has become infamous for this) may get snatched up much earlier in the day than less in-demand rides.

Sort of assumed you could schedule one ride per every two hours.
You can, but the rides you want may not always be the ones available. So far, I haven't heard of all rides in an entire park running out; it's usually only a few of the most popular ones. Of course, that might change as the usage of Genie+ increases.

Still not sure I understand what "stacking" is?
It's when you're able to hold reservations for more than one attraction at a time, usually from combining both of the main "triggers" that make you eligible to select your next one. You mentioned the every-two-hours rule above, but you can also get your next reservation after you've checked in at your Lightning Lane for a reservation.

The two-hour rule applies to the time at which you make your reservation, not the time at which you're supposed to return to the ride. So if you reserve something popular in the morning, and G+ gives you a return time many hours later, you'll be able to make your next reservation two hours from that point, perhaps for something with a much sooner return time. Then, once you've tapped in for that, you can make another reservation, and so forth, all while still holding onto that first late-in-the-day reservation you made, and possibly others. If you combine short and long turnaround times strategically, you can end up with a lot of popular rides late in the day.

For an additional twist, you can also make a new reservation if you let a reservation window close without tapping into the attraction. However, you can still enter the attraction for an additional 15 minutes (basically a "grace period"). Some people use that to stack even more reservations, reporting that they made one reservation after letting the window close and another after tapping into the ride during its grace period. This might be an unintended loophole, though, and we shouldn't be surprised if Disney closes it.

Regardless for our upcoming trip we are leaning toward not using it. We aren't ride commandos. We have our favorites, but like just being in the parks and chilling out. Probably why we like Epcot so much.
Most people say that it's not that useful at Epcot unless you're park-hopping anyway, since it doesn't have a lot of attractions, and most of them don't get super-long lines. Same goes for Animal Kingdom. As for me, I'll be using it for my upcoming trip, but that's because I haven't been in 20 years and I have a lot of catching up to do. If I went to the parks regularly, I probably wouldn't. It's definitely designed for some people more than for others, and it actually wouldn't benefit anyone if that weren't the case.

I disagree. I think it’s a waste of money on really busy days. I used it for the first time the last week of October. It was moderately busy & brand new & worked great. We are here now & it’s been worthless b/c we don’t get to the parks at rope drop. I made our first selection for mid morning & then when it’s time for me to book my next one, the only thing available is for late afternoon later. Refresh doesn’t work as well as before (if at all). As much as I hated prescheduling FPs, the current system wastes a lot of time AND isn’t free so for our party of 5 wastes $80/day!

They can't release more Genie+ LL reservations. The attractions have a limited capacity per day. There needs to be room for stand-by. The LL must move quickly. There's an algorithm.

They could cap the number of Genie+ users. I'm pretty sure there's no limit on the number of buyers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter