Genie+

This was our last straw and we threw in the towel. Sucks because we have a little one on the way and I want them to see WDW but the price gouging it's tough for me to handle.

Couple reasons why I refuse to give Disney my money anymore...
1. Raised minimum amount of DVC points for perks.
2. No more Magical Express unless I want to pay for it.
3. Hotel parking charges
4. "Paid Fastpass"
5. Food and drink prices gone through the roof lately
6. Higher than normal inflation for ticket prices.

Plus, add exchange to all these! Im saddened but the only way this changes is if attendance drops and I will do my part.

We have a trip booked next year. We were only doing 1 night on site with 3 days (park hoppers), but we're now contemplating how this will affect our trip.

I really feel like they're trying to force you on-site:

- with the early morning magic change, rope drop advantage is now gone for anyone staying off-site.
- with Lightning Pass, a 2 hour advantage for on site guests is going to make a BIG difference in what's available for the "tier 1" rides for off-site guests booking.

We can't afford to pay for Genie+ AND Lightning Passes. We can use DAS thankfully which helps, but DAS on its own was never enough for our situation, we needed rope drop, DAS and FP combined. So... how do we tackle it now?

Do we drop a day of tickets and add a second night so we can have the rope drop advantage? Do we drop on site and use that $ to pay for Lightning Passes? So many questions now?

Honestly, my husband and I would like to drop 2 days - just use our one day park hoppers (they were comp tickets, so free), and be done with it. But, it's our DD's 12th birthday trip, the kids adore Disney and would be sad to only do 1 day, have to pick and choose which 2 parks to do so.... I dunno.

I do know I can now say with 100% certainty, next June, in whatever form it takes will be our last trip. With all the changes of this past year my husband said he will never give them another penny of his money. He'll do this trip because the kids already know about it, but that's it. He would rather spend his money elsewhere. Like at our small, local, beautiful amusement parks that have only increased their prices by $5 in the 10+ years we've been going there.

I can only imagine what the boards would have been saying, if they were around , when Walt went from each ride is a ticket and e-ticket, to pay one price get them all.
The horror that would have been, why do I have to pay for someone else to ride Matterhorn, I dont like that ride, why do I have to pay for it. And things like that.
The argument of how can large families or groups afford this now. How do they afford any travel? How do they afford dining at the restaurants?
We have done both coasts, DL once, and paid for the Max pass. It was good, but we could have had a great time without it.
We have done WDW many many times without booking one FP. We have been when it was paper then +. All had there good points and bad.
Lets see how this runs in course. I for one am hoping it will be like a Waze, and help direct traffic to quicker ride lines and adjust as the day goes on. That would be great.
We and I dont think we are alone, would book FP and not show up, or switch on the fly. That had issues, because it took up space someone else could have booked.
Lets all take a deep breath, see how things work out. It could be great for some, and totally wrong for others,,,like all things.

This is obviously going to be an unpopular opinion, but I'm looking forward to it. With all the new, incredible rides, attractions etc, that have come/are coming soon I'm afraid we'd miss out with the old system and I'm looking forward to just throwing some money at the problem and buying my way onto a ride. *ducks the tomatoes being thrown at me*.

Having said that, we're a couple, no kids, and we only go every 2 yrs, so it's easier for us to factor that extra cost in.

This is obviously going to be an unpopular opinion, but I'm looking forward to it. With all the new, incredible rides, attractions etc, that have come/are coming soon I'm afraid we'd miss out with the old system and I'm looking forward to just throwing some money at the problem and buying my way onto a ride. *ducks the tomatoes being thrown at me*.

Having said that, we're a couple, no kids, and we only go every 2 yrs, so it's easier for us to factor that extra cost in.

I get this. And I will probably do the same with Tron when it opens, so we get to ride it. But it still annoys me that I have to pay for what was once free. But we love the rides so... we'll probably do one trip (after Tron opens) and pay for what we really want, and likely that'll be it until they change everything on us again.

mshanson3121 said:
With all the changes of this past year my husband said he will never give them another penny of his money. He'll do this trip because the kids already know about it, but that's it. He would rather spend his money elsewhere. Like at our small, local, beautiful amusement parks that have only increased their prices by $5 in the 10+ years we've been going there.

I can't agree more! We already started looking at Cedar Point in Ohio which is more adult based with thrilling coasters or take the 4hr drive to Wonderland. Heck, even Marineland isn't too far. We all work hard for our money and I have a hard time handing it to a company that doesn't need it and takes advantage of their customers.

I can't agree more! We already started looking at Cedar Point in Ohio which is more adult based with thrilling coasters or take the 4hr drive to Wonderland. Heck, even Marineland isn't too far. We all work hard for our money and I have a hard time handing it to a company that doesn't need it and takes advantage of their customers.

We've been toying with a trip to Hersey as well. In all honesty, if next year wasn't DDs birthday trip (which is a gift from her grandparents, so she gets to choose the destination), I think that's where we would be going. So many great things to do in PA, and nearby DC.

If not for the fact that we have CDN Discount Tickets that expire in 2030, I'd be done with Disney for good right now. Period. No regrets. There has been so much taken away from any perceived "value" that may have been there just a few years ago, that the cost is near impossible to justify, especially since DW and I have retired and have less disposable income now. At this point, I don't know when we'll go back to use those tickets, if we ever do, but I'm positive it won't be anytime soon. It's pretty likely that the Genie will be long dead and gone by that time and replaced by who knows what new money grab. That future trip will be less attraction centred and more one last look around the place before "signing off" for good. It makes me sad but that's the way it is.

If not for the fact that we have CDN Discount Tickets that expire in 2030, I'd be done with Disney for good right now. Period. No regrets. There has been so much taken away from any perceived "value" that may have been there just a few years ago, that the cost is near impossible to justify, especially since DW and I have retired and have less disposable income now. At this point, I don't know when we'll go back to use those tickets, if we ever do, but I'm positive it won't be anytime soon. It's pretty likely that the Genie will be long dead and gone by that time and replaced by who knows what new money grab. That future trip will be less attraction centred and more one last look around the place before "signing off" for good. It makes me sad but that's the way it is.
I totally agree with you! We have a trip booked in March and if we had not already booked a non refundable stay at a DVC, we would have canceled our trip as well. As a family of four adding Genie+ to our already expensive trip really brings the cost of our vacation to a level that I'm just not comfortable paying, and that doesn't even include our favourite rides. Plus I am not a fan of having to be on my phone all day trying to reserve my next attraction or to mobile order my food 4 hours in advance. The worst part is that I am a huge Disney fan but the whole thing just left a bad taste in mouth, so much so that even if I can afford it, I won't be going back. Disney also didn't think of what happens to families or groups traveling together. Even though I can afford to pay for Genie+ in March, I will be traveling with my sister, her kids and my mom who are on a tight budget and cannot afford it.

Since our tickets were free with air miles and resort "free" with gift cards, we will end up paying. It will be our last trip (DD will be 14 and more into UOR). I think I would rather just pay for RotR, Tron, Guardians, and get it over with LOL

Now I just need to add these new charges into our budget for next year since we are 90% canceling this November/December and bumping to 2022. My parents have zero interest in traveling to FL right now.

With this added fee, plus Magical Express, its going to add about 2k CDN per trip just for those services for us. It will likely result in us staying offsite because now that we have to rent a van anyway, may as well get a 3 bedroom house or condo for less money than a stay at Pop Century will cost us, plus then we will grocery shop and save, etc. etc. IE Disney for us, a family who spent 87 days in 12 months on Disney property before Covid happened, you just lost a fortune in revenue from us because you decided to nickel and dime. Once December passes we likely will only stay onsite when using our DVC points.

@gskywalker We currently have POP! booked, but I just found out that you have to use the skyliner as they don't provide buses for skyliner resorts unless there is bad weather. Not sure how true that is, but that totally sucks if so.
For 8 nights it was costing us $1887 US. I priced out the same week next year, less one Saturday night (so 7 nights) at the ASM and it came to $1300 US. I might just suck it up and book it there since there really isn't any major perks to staying onsite now. Skyliner just doesn't cut it for me TBH.

Going to assume that your tix don’t expire in 2030 anymore ☹️

Makes an expensive Disney trip that much more expensive. For our trip next summer, we splurged and went for a Deluxe hotel (celebration for DD's special bday). We are only doing 6 days but then for a family of 4, that's an additional $360 USD or for us Canadians, around $455 CAD. Then you add on whatever they charge for the single ride attractions? Trip is pricey and current total doesn't even include food (which we will want to enjoy onsite). This is most likely our last trip ever to WDW so we will pay but it does "hurt".

There are some that I'm on the fence if I will ride them...not out of fear of the ride itself but for medical reasons (e.g. Test Track because of the speed and eye issues).....so guess if it's single pay ride, that will help with the decision. Likewise, I can see myself saying "not worth it" and will skip other pay rides. I know for some of them you can try for a boarding pass, but seems like small chance of getting them.

@gskywalker We currently have POP! booked, but I just found out that you have to use the skyliner as they don't provide buses for skyliner resorts unless there is bad weather. Not sure how true that is, but that totally sucks if so.
For 8 nights it was costing us $1887 US. I priced out the same week next year, less one Saturday night (so 7 nights) at the ASM and it came to $1300 US. I might just suck it up and book it there since there really isn't any major perks to staying onsite now. Skyliner just doesn't cut it for me TBH.
It's true. No regular bus service from Pop to Epcot/HS.
AofA does run buses to Epcot/HS though. Definitely not as convenient, but there is the option of using AofA buses if staying at Pop.

Going to assume that your tix don’t expire in 2030 anymore ☹
Actually, I just checked and MDE still says they expire Dec 31, 2030. Our tickets are from the first time the CDN Ticket Offer was available. They're the ones that had the green voucher cards mailed out. I bought them in the fall of 2016, and have an email from Disney from March 2017 confirming they indeed did not have an expiry date. The 2030 expiry date began showing up some time after that. With the various CDN discounted tickets over the years, each one with varying terms and conditions, it's confusing enough let alone throwing COVID delays and issues into the mix. In subsequent years the tickets had expiry dates built into them so we just bought those for our then current trips and kept the original ones for "some day".

Actually, I just checked and MDE still says they expire Dec 31, 2030. Our tickets are from the first time the CDN Ticket Offer was available. They're the ones that had the green voucher cards mailed out.

Hmmm, mine are the green vouchers too (purchased December 2019). I think ALL air miles "tickets" are vouchers...no?

Hmmm, mine are the green vouchers too (purchased December 2019). I think ALL air miles "tickets" are vouchers...no?
Ours were bought directly from Disney on their website. I've now read all the posts on the other thread. I imagine it's just a matter of time...

Anyway, here's a reply I got from Disney to confirm that the tickets were non-expiring before purchasing them. Bolding is mine.

Dear ******,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

We appreciate your interest in our Special Ticket Offer for Canadian Residents. You'll be excited to know that these tickets do not have an expiration date. Please note that once the tickets and any options purchased have been used, they will expire 14 days after the first date of usage.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

F******** R****
eCommerce Sales and Service Team

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

I just went to check on my tickets....the NON-EXPIRING ones many of us bought in 2016/2017 before they started to sell expiring ones, I couldn't find any expiry dates on mine. I do have mine linked in our account to our dogs lol. But No matter where I try to look...I can't find the expiry. Sigh....I hope I didn't waste AM, because we are not planning a trip based on having tickets that will now expire. :sad2: :rolleyes1

I just went to check on my tickets....the NON-EXPIRING ones many of us bought in 2016/2017 before they started to sell expiring ones, I couldn't find any expiry dates on mine. I do have mine linked in our account to our dogs lol. But No matter where I try to look...I can't find the expiry. Sigh....I hope I didn't waste AM, because we are not planning a trip based on having tickets that will now expire. :sad2: :rolleyes1
For me, the expiry date only shows on the app on my iPhone or iPad. Just checked and there is no expiry showing on MDE on the website. As far as I can recall, it's always been like this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter