Getting fit & losing weight before our next 2015 Disney trip!

Hope it's OK if I jump on this thread with you guys! I've currently begun training to run the DL Half Marathon over Labor Day 2015. That thread isn't really active yet (we're still a ways away from registration), but I could use all the support I can get!

-First Name: Everyone calls me Keels
-Date of 2015 Disney trip goal: Sept. 3, 2015
-Reason for the goal: To run and complete my first-ever half marathon, hopefully under 3 hours! Also, in the course of training to drop a few clothing sizes. I'm 5'8" and I hover between a 12-14 ... by September, I'd love to be around a 6-8. And to be comfortable enough to wear a cute two-piece swimsuit that isn't a tankini top and swim shorts ...
-Target approach for the goal: Run/walk training distances three times during the week with an increasing distance run on the weekends. Also mixing in yoga/PiYo during the week to help with flexibility and achy joints, while also hopefully building up some strength.
-Progress to Date/Total Goal: I don't weight often (again - I'm more worried with sizes than a scale number because I'm trying to build muscle as well), but today I ran 2 miles in 27 minutes (avg. 13:48/mile) and I weighed in at 184.5.

Hi all! Quiet on here. Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season. I had a very nice Thanksgiving. Tis the season for parties - I went to one last night, and I have another one today. Between all the rich foods, some drinking, and traveling for work, I've let the exercise and healthy eating slack the past few weeks and have gained back a few pounds. Gotta recommit now, and not wait until January 1st!

I hope everyone has a fun and healthy Sunday!

Hi all! Quiet on here. Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday season. I had a very nice Thanksgiving. Tis the season for parties - I went to one last night, and I have another one today. Between all the rich foods, some drinking, and traveling for work, I've let the exercise and healthy eating slack the past few weeks and have gained back a few pounds. Gotta recommit now, and not wait until January 1st!

I hope everyone has a fun and healthy Sunday!

I know what you mean, I have been trying sometimes and not others and I have not lost anything nor have I gained anything and I really need to get back into it.

Just checking in!

I'm FINALLY into week two of a 15-day work trip in Las Vegas (I promise you, it's not as fun as it sounds!).

I've been able to keep my eating and drinking WAY in check (yay!), thanks a lot to the crazy hours I have to work. On top of that, it's about a mile each way each day from my hotel room to the Expo center - and they're right next to each other! That's Vegas for you, and it should tell you about our terrible location at the show. :worried:

I managed to be good and ran my three days last week - I chose to run each morning down the Strip, which was good because of the sights ... but I'd forgotten about the pedestrian bridges every few blocks! And if I'm running, I can't take the escalator, right? So it was stairs for me ... that made for some really tiring runs. I even had one where I dropped down to 17 minutes/mile. Yeah, I hate stairs.

Weighed in early because of the holidays and I am down 2 more pounds making me 16/40 right before the holiday. I am trying very hard to make it through tomorrow fairly well...

I do know that I am a stress eater and that stress has been very high the past few days. It started Monday when I went to lunch for work and apparently sometime between lunch and 5 I lost my van keys which also had DH's extra truck key on them. So I was stuck at work until 6:30 when DH could bring me my extra. Then yesterday I was off work so I took my van to the repair shop to get an estimate because it has been acting funny, I told them I needed it back by 6 that night (when they close) so I could come to work today and they said no problem. Then the stupid thing decided to blow the coolant line when they took it for a drive and the little plastic part that broke is almost $200 by itself without labor and coolant and they couldn't get the part until today so...DH had to bring me into work this morning and will have to leave work to pick me up. But worst of all I have a huge repair bill and it doesn't even cover the issue I was having when I went in...so all of DH's Disney overtime from the past two weeks and then some more from the Disney fund are going to fix that and I still have the original problem :(

It can only get better right? :)

:( We are dealing with a property manager for our rental house who is not paying us even though the tenants are paying rent. We lose money on this house every month anyhow (we rent it out because we can't sell the darn thing yet). Since August, we have spent about $5500 on the house without receiving one penny back in rent...and we had tenants all but 6 weeks of the year!!!
$5500 dollars kind of kills our savings. I really hope Disney releases at least a little discount and our tax returns are good this year or we are going to have to cut something from our trip.
And our oldest son heard some of the conversation about this and now he is stressed out, so I have extra mom guilt and stress.

But, hey, at least your DH got overtime. That is how things work around here. DH gets overtime and then some random expense pops up. I don't know if we should count our blessings that we can pay our bills or cry that our hard work is for naught :goodvibes

I have been doing some Holiday eating since Thanksgiving, so I have been avoiding the forum. The week before Thanksgiving was great! Then Thanksgiving week was a big gain. Now I am back to the week before the week before Thanksgiving.
I am not keeping track of food, just trying to eat better and less. My exercise is also not quite as good as it has been because we keep having holiday programs, etc. that keep us busy in the evenings. But I have two weeks off starting Friday, so I think I can at least get the exercise to a good point, and I hope I can keep the really bad eating to Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Eve :) I will be happy if I am still at this weight on my January 8th weigh in.

So I am at 72.8/100 pounds lost now

-First name - Lena
-Date of 2015 Disney trip goal - October 30th - November 8th
-Reason for the goal - to finally lose weight and keep it off
-Target approach for the goal - weight watchers and the gym 3 times a week
-Progress to date/Total goal - Total Goal - to reach 200 lbs by Disney

Hi, December has been hectic so I haven't posted in a while. I am now home with a flu... So I have a bit more time, a lot less energy (no gym for me) and a little less weight! Still looking forward to look and feel great for my family trip in April. I am now at 153 lbs so half way to my goal (if considering only the weight). Wishing you all health and magic for 2015!

Hi everyone! Long time, no talk. I feel like I'm emerging from the wilderness, I've been gone for what feels like an eternity. For the last month or so I've been spending every waking hour I'm not working trying to get ready for this annual Christmas party I throw. It takes tons of work & planning, but I love doing it because I get to see people I don't see all year. I took 4 days off from work this week just to cook, clean, & get the house ready. You know how it goes, all of a sudden you notice walls that need to be touched up with paint, or baseboards that need to be cleaned. The list just grows. Well, finally the party was yesterday. It went off great. We had about 50 people & luckily all seemed happy with the day, even the kids. Needless to say I'm exhausted today, but I finally feel like I can start to concentrate on my own stuff.

I've gone back & read everyone's posts from the last time I checked in. Welcome to the new members: HikingBelle, HoneyBeeM, MeridaLove, Keels, & Verleniahall! It also looks like there's been a lot of progress with all of your goals. Congratulations to all! I did read a few that seemed to be expressing some frustration. If you'll allow me, I'll share a few tips I've picked up over my journey in the last few months that seem to work for me.
1. Drink a ton of water. Forget the 8 glasses of water a day rule. You need way more than that. Personally I drink between 104-120 oz a day. This helps with not only weight, but blood pressure. If you can't stomach that much plain water, get the tiny bottles of flavorings you can squeeze in. Add just a light squeeze so it is flavored water instead of turning it in to a full-blown sugar drink. It makes a difference.
2. It is ok to weigh yourself. We're all human & want to see results right away, especially after we've done a really hard few days of workouts. For a while I was weighing myself everyday & sometimes 2x a day. :) Silly, I know, but you can get caught up in it. As long as you make a promise to yourself that whatever you see on the scale you don't get angry at. Instead of anger, turn the reaction into motivation to push that much harder to see the difference. It does work. Don't get hung up on only weighing yourself once a week or month. Weight fluctuates in some people up to 4-5lbs A DAY! It all depends on the time of day you weighed yourself compared to the last time, time of month (period), if you've had a recent bowel movement, how much water you are retaining, etc. That fluctuation is normal, however frustrating. That's why I was weighing so much, I could see if I was getting consistent numbers or if I was just having a moment of extra build-up. If my number isn't where I wanted it to be, then I used that as my correction trigger to make healthier food choices that day & make a point to exercise more. Most times within a few days that number went back to where it was.
3. Exercise is important...more than you think. I've been hitting plateau's on & off this year. What I'm finding after talking with my doctor a few times is that variety is the key. Basically, pick an exercise & amount that is your "standard" for cardio exercise. This will be the "if I don't do anything else today, I must do this as part of my day, everyday." For me, that is walking 10,000 steps a day (which by the way it the minimum recommended by the American Heart Assoc.). Regardless of how busy I am, 10K is my goal I must achieve. Now, that's not to say I don't have the occasional day where I find myself at 8K & need to go to sleep. I do, but I also make sure that I do over 10K each day & push on a different day to get a high # to make up for the low day, but it must be within that same week (Mon-Sun). Once you've established your standard cardio, introduce some kind of exercise that is weight bearing. This could be anything from going to a gym & doing the machines, to just plain getting on the floor for pushups. Whatever it is, pick an exercise that works maybe 3 different muscle groups: 1 for arms, 1 for legs, butt, abs, back, etc. Do those 3 muscle group exercises 3x a week for 30 mins total. Do this every week for 1 month. You may not see a difference in the scale at the end of the month, but at the end of the month, pick 3 different weight-bearing exercises, & do those 3x a week for the next month. At the end of month 2, you should start to see a difference in the scale. What I've learned is when you hit a plateau, it is time to change your exercise. Muscles get used to the same exercises so they no longer respond as well to build & burn the weight. You need to switch up your weight bearing exercises every few months to change it up for your muscles. The exercise won't be the same thing over & over that just becomes too easy so they work harder to adjust. Now, another thing you can try to add in is additional weight. When you switch to a set of exercises you've done before, you can change the weight on the machine to just slightly higher, which will also help to awaken the muscles.

I hope this helps some of you. These are the big 3 I try to keep to.

For me, because of all this party stuff, I haven't been to the gym in a month or so. Not ideal, but like I said I've committed to a minimum cardio everyday so I'm getting that in even though I haven't been able to breathe I'm so busy. That being said, I had been holding at my 22/40lbs loss for a few months now. After this week, & pretty much not eating yesterday at all until about 8pm, the scale this morning reads 24/40lbs. We'll see if it holds, but for now I'm happy someone is taking pity on me after all I've been through this week. :)

I hope everyone is having a great holiday season!

I've updated the stats post on the 1st page. Please check to make sure I have your stats correct. There are a few of the new people that I wasn't sure what the goal & progress was, so please let me know.

Great tips, Cynister!

So, just doing a quick check-in! I survived my 15 days in Vegas - and imagine my shock when I came back a whole 10 pounds lighter! All that running, walking and eating well definitely paid off! As of today, I'm 14 pounds lighter than when I left for Vegas on Nov. 30! Now, we'll see what happens after a Christmas trip to NYC.

Half marathon training is going good. I feel like I have a really great run, and then the next will be just SO frustrating. I had my longest scheduled run this past Saturday (6.2 miles) and it was awful. Weather was bad - and I made conditions worse by taking my dog with me. He just was too excited and I could never get into a rhythm and get anything going. My time was awful!

Gotta get it back on track and soon. I'm doing my first 10k at the end of January and I really don't want to be at the back of the pack!

Happy Holidays to everyone!

I have been really struggling, I even had an awful morning this morning. I went to the doctor on the 19th and was put back on Provera for PCOS related troubles and I forgot how much that stuff effects my appetite. It is horrible for the past week that I was on it I gained back almost 5 pounds :(

This is even while working out on the exercise bike 45 minutes a day. I am off it now, but this morning was bad because I am also now on high amounts of iron that upset my stomach if I don't eat. Well I have been off work for a week and doing fine with it at home, but this morning I forgot to eat, but remembered to take it so I was feeling really sick and had to stop and get food and it wasn't healthy (could have been it was just a bad choice...)

Another part of my problem is I wasn't tracking calories over Christmas break because there were too many home made things that I could not figure out how to track, so that coupled with the Provera made me an eating machine. I am off work after today until January 5th, however I am going to try to do better immediately. I know it won't fix this morning, but I need to stop the damage now.

I am so proud of you who have been doing so well!!

-Hi my name is Jen
I am going on the Fjord cruise the first week of June
-Want to be healthy, fit and looking good for our trip
-Target approach for the goal (10k steps daily, kickboxing class, and jiu jitsu 3 times a week / run on the weekends)
-Progress to date/Total goal (20 pounds, starting weight 194)

I posted my responses in the quote above

Hi, I would like to join the thread :)

-First name- Renee
-Date of 2015 Disney trip goal-Dec 10, 2015
-Reason for the goal- not worrying about fitting on rides, stamina, be able to focus on enjoying trip with family
-Target approach for the goal- track intake, start with walking/stationary bike
-Progress to date/Total goal 0/100lbs

We are planning a trip in December and I have a significant amount to lose. I am so glad I found this thread! I need the support of others who understand the Disney factor. I want to be healthier of course and that is a large part of my goal, but the Disney trip gives me a specific goal to focus on which will help keep me motivated. I love the idea of the % break down!! That will really help with motivation as well, breaking it down to mini goals.

Hi! I am also beginning the journey to lose pounds before I trip in June, if for nothing else to keep up with the walking with my family. Hoping to drop 50 lbs by June 1st. I'll keep y'all posted on my progress!

I

Please post the following information in your initial post to subscribe:
-First name
-Date of 2015 Disney trip goal
-Reason for the goal
-Target approach for the goal (walk 5 miles/10,000 steps everyday, walk 35 miles/70,000 steps per week, weight training 3x per week, etc.)
-Progress to date/Total goal (i.e. 25lbs/100lbs lost, or 2in/10in lost, or 1size/3sizes lost, etc.)

\

O.K., because I'm hoping for some accountability... :)

- Amanda
- April 11th, 2015 - I have 82 days!
- I don't want to be laughed at in my bathing suit(it happened l/y at the beach) on this trip...
- I joined WW mobile version through my health insurance program, I also ordered the PIYO dvd's and bought a manual treadmill. It's my goal to follow PIYO for the 60 days, and walk the treadmill, building to 3mi per day...
- Well, all together I've lost about 35lbs, I have 35lbs to go... until I would be at my "IDEAL" weight. But I'd be happy if I dropped 2-3 sizes for this trip.

I tried the T25 program over the summer, it didn't do well for me because there was too much jumping and hopping around.

Hi all, sorry I've been away for so long. Happy New Year all! Welcome to the newbies! BellsFam, congrats on your weight loss so far!

finny, I feel your pain - I'm in premature menopause, only my hormones have been shifting lately, so my moods and appetites have been all over the place. Iron pills are impossible to eat on an empty stomach, I hope you're doing better with them and overall! :goodvibes

I lost 6 pounds and then gained it back, so I'm back to where I started. I'll repost my info and goals.

First name: Amanda
-Date of 2015 Disney trip goal: 2 goals for 2 dates - Lose 30 pounds by June 4th for a Disneyland trip (also a conference in Anaheim and a vacation with my brother who lives in LA), and lose 60 pounds by September 25th for my 40th birthday celebration at WDW with family & friends.
-Reason for the goal: see above.
-Target approach for the goal: Eat more veggies and fruits, less sugar and processed foods. Log my food. Exercise 5x per week, cardio & strength.
-Progress to date/Total goal: 0/60

LET'S DO THIS!!! :banana::yay::cool1::thumbsup2

Ok so I am over my silly pouting and ready to take this thing!!! Mind over matter, but lately matter has been winning in the form of food!

I stopped tracking because silly me I thought I could just eat less and I know what not too eat. While it is true that I know what not to eat...ummm I ate it anyway and more of it than necessary. I did not not gain it all back, but I am at 11/40 lost now instead of 17/40 :(

On a good note I have been exercising 5 out of 7 days EVERY week since the beginning of December, that's a big plus so...now for the food side!

Dh is using the patch to quit smoking and doing very well I am very proud of him...sometimes I look at that box of patches though and say why can't they make those for eating lol.

Welcome to the new members!

I've updated the progress post, please check for accuracy. Keels & WalshCanucks, I think I missed your loss goal?

For my check-in, I'm unhappy to report I've gained 3lbs back. I've been struggling to get consistent gym time in & I think that's a good part of my problem. Last weekend my treadmill broke so I'm awaiting the parts to fix it. That's really putting a dent in my step count too. On the upside hopefully I will be getting my T25 order in this week. I'm going to give it a try after hearing such great success from a new coworker (35lbs in 3 months). While I don't expect results like that, it may just be the kickstart to get me back in gear consistently. Time is ticking away to my May trip & I'm only 1/2 way to my goal. I've got to get going!

So we have officially moved the date of our trip up a year! Now I really have to start preparing for all the walking!
-Mary
-June 2015
-Feel more comfortable and for stamina. We are also planning on going to the water parks so I want to look good in a bathing suit!
-Started the Couch to 5k program and will do long walks between those days. I'm also starting to track my intake.
-I've already lost 5/40# but still have a loonnngg way to go!

Welcome to the new members! The stats post has been updated. Please verify for accuracy.

I'm now officially in the double digits count down until my trip. I'm very excited but also very panicked. I need to get this weight off! I'm back to down 23lbs, but I have 17lbs more to go. I've been doing T25 for 3 weeks now. It has definitely helped get the extra I had gained off, but lately I'm just in a funk emotionally about my slow progress. I know it is fairly normal, but I really am working out a bunch more than I had been. I had hoped for more progress because of it. I've amped up my routine so now I'm doing walking 5 miles per day, T25 5x per week, weights at the gym 3x per week, & concentrated 5-10 minute core workouts 4x a week. I'm really just bummed all of this isn't doing more.

This week I started tracking my food again. I hate doing this. It is such a pain, but I'm trying to figure out what my problem is. So far with the exception of Valentine's day the calorie counts look pretty normal & nothing outrageous. I have to say though, I'm bouncing between the Fitbit app, MyFitnessPal app, & Sparkpeople app. I can't find 1 tool that does everything correctly. Fitbit's calorie burn estimator was throwing the count way off & the barcode scanner for food is annoying. I switched to MyFitnessPal but it removes calorie burn from all of my walking as soon as I input that I did a 25min workout video, & it also doesn't give me any calorie burn credit for weight training. Sparkpeople doesn't have a barcode scanner so logging food is just a pain. *sigh* At this point what seems to work ok is if I turn off the calorie estimator in Fitbit, log my food & workout videos under MyFitnessPal, sync MyFitnessPal to Fitbit so the food & videos will transfer to Fitbit, then log the weight training in Fitbit. Seriously, there's got to be an easier way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter