Getting the Most Out of FastPass During High Season (LONG)

subbing this thread so DH can come back & read it over. the whole concept of the FP just flew over my head. will we need them if we're traveling with a 3.5 yr old & 1.5 year old? i doubt we'll split up to go on rides w/o the kids. maybe i should have my parents drive up & pick the girls up a day early so DH & i can have a day to do disney alone.
If you are only go one rides with the little ones I doubt you will need FP. Maybe for Buzz Lightyear or Autopia?

Just a simple (and probably obvious) question about using FastPass at Disneyland...

We just received our Disneyland tickets in the mail and they are the paper ones with a bar code instead of a magnetic strip like WDW. To obtain at FastPass at Disneyland do you insert your ticket just like WDW or does the bar code change how DLR FP machines operate?

Just a simple (and probably obvious) question about using FastPass at Disneyland...

We just received our Disneyland tickets in the mail and they are the paper ones with a bar code instead of a magnetic strip like WDW. To obtain at FastPass at Disneyland do you insert your ticket just like WDW or does the bar code change how DLR FP machines operate?
DLR FPs work the same as WDW. The machines look at the bar code and/or magnetic strip.

We just received our Disneyland tickets in the mail and they are the paper ones with a bar code instead of a magnetic strip like WDW. To obtain a FastPass at Disneyland do you insert your ticket just like WDW or does the bar code change how DLR FP machines operate?
There actually is a subtle difference between using the FP Machines at DLR and WDW.

At DLR you insert your ticket into the FP Machine, and then you remove the ticket. (Your fingers don't let go of the ticket.) And in a second or two the FP Machine spits out the FP.

(If I'm not mistaken, at WDW you insert your ticket into the FP Machine, and after a second or two the FP Machine spits out your ticket and your FP.)

A WDW-vet recently visited DLR for the first time, and wrote the following about her FastPass experience:
At 8:00 am sharp they let us in, and I “walked with a purpose” to get a FP for Indiana Jones. I was first at one of the FP machines but, hey, my tickets weren’t working!!! I looked around and everybody was getting their FPs except me!! I do know how a FP machine works; I’ve done this at WDW many times!! I started to get nervous. ... There was not one CM around, so I couldn’t figure out what was wrong with our tickets

[20 minutes later]... I decided to try my tickets one more time at the Indiana FP machine, just in case. I placed the ticket at the opening and nothing, it wasn’t taking it. But now there was CM there and I asked him what was wrong, and he told me that I had to SCAN the ticket. What?!?! It turns out that at WDW the FP machine takes your ticket, but not [at DLR]. I had to insert the ticket fully to the end and then withdraw it slower. And voila!! My first fastpass was there!! I was so mad for not figuring it out sooner. I wished I had known this before. But ok, everything was fine now, and yes I had missed my very first FP window, but I would make up for it later.

HTH :earsboy:

Ah, those are the little quirks that I was wondering about. That's good to know. We're regular WDW FastPass users so we'll have to adjust our technique a bit. :)

This post is purely speculation on my part. I've seen it posted on the Disneyland official blog that you will be able to collect DCA fastpasses for attractions while you are holding a WOC fastpass. To me, this sounds as though the fastpass machines at GRR (which will dispense the WOC fastpasses) will NOT be networked. I'm hoping this means that once WOC goes live, GRR fastpasses will no longer be networked either. Fingers crossed and hope that one of our WOC guinea pigs will try it out and report back. :):):)

I had the exact same thoughts!

I've been wondering- how do you know for sure if the FP is linked into the network? :confused3 Will it not give a time that the next fastpass can be obtained, or do you have to just try it at another FP machine and see? Thanks! :goodvibes

I've been wondering- how do you know for sure if the FP is linked into the network? :confused3 Will it not give a time that the next fastpass can be obtained, or do you have to just try it at another FP machine and see? Thanks! :goodvibes
If the GRR machine is linked to the network you will not be able to get a Fastpass for GRR while you hold a FP for another attraction. Instead, if you try it you will get a non-valid FP like the one pictured in this post http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=30043565&postcount=33

I had the exact same thoughts!

Great minds think alike. :thumbsup2

HydroGuy, this is pure genius. I thought I was a FP maniac, but you take FP collecting to a whole new level. Definitely going to try to emulate your method on our next trip. :worship:

I know this has been mentioned elsewhere, but worth noting in this thread:
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters no longer offers FastPasses.
When Star Tours 2.0 opens, it will use the FP machines near the BLAB entrance.

Also, a couple of things to keep in mind:

A ride must be operating for the machines to give out Fastpasses.

Second, and I don't recall seeing this information elsewhere, a ride may be running, but Fastpasses are still not available from the machines.
(This is not about the Grizzly Rivers Rapids machines at DCA and their use for World of Color)
I experienced this at Thunder Mountain Railroad about a half-hour after park opening Monday, March 7. The standby wait time was listed as 5 minutes (really walk-on) and all the Fastpass machines were turned off.

I know this has been mentioned elsewhere, but worth noting in this thread:
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters no longer offers FastPasses.
When Star Tours 2.0 opens, it will use the FP machines near the BLAB entrance.
Thanks. I got that into my OP last week.

A ride must be operating for the machines to give out Fastpasses.
Yep.

Second, and I don't recall seeing this information elsewhere, a ride may be running, but Fastpasses are still not available from the machines.
(This is not about the Grizzly Rivers Rapids machines at DCA and their use for World of Color)
I experienced this at Thunder Mountain Railroad about a half-hour after park opening Monday, March 7. The standby wait time was listed as 5 minutes (really walk-on) and all the Fastpass machines were turned off.
This post was about high season and I do not recall seeing this in high season other than when the FP system is down for a ride. In general some FP rides may not have FPs at all if the crowds are too low.

Thanks!

I've decided to post these questions here, as they mostly fit the thread topic. No point in starting something new for this.

1. You mention above that you think the BLAB FP will go to ST when it opens June 3rd. This means no more FP for BLAB, or just limited machines for BLAB? If no more FP, what's the stand by wait time for this ride, usually? This is one of those rides at WDW that easily gets a long wait.

2. Finding Nemo doesn't have a FP? What's the line like for that, and when do you suggest is the best time for it? We'll be using MM on a Tuesday, MTTMM on Wednesday, and will have about half a day in the park on Thursday.

3. This one blows my mind--no FP for Toy Story Mania? Even with FP, this has a 2 hour line ALL DAY at WDW, and the FP disappear by 10 on most days. Is this a normally long line. When should we go to that?

4. Just saw Goofy's Sky School is opening. Do you think that will have a FP? I'm assuming the MM you listed in your 2005 trip itinerary was Mulholland Madness, which has turned into this ride.

The FP system works for us at WDW, although I've definitely learned a few things from reading your threads here. Thank you!

1. You mention above that you think the BLAB FP will go to ST when it opens June 3rd. This means no more FP for BLAB, or just limited machines for BLAB? If no more FP, what's the stand by wait time for this ride, usually? This is one of those rides at WDW that easily gets a long wait.
No more FP for BLAB. It truly has not been very helpful in recent years. Can't count how many times we got BLAB FPs and then came back to use them and the line was 5-10 minutes long. It still can get to 30 minutes mid-day sometimes. It has been a long time since I have seen it over 30 minutes.

2. Finding Nemo doesn't have a FP? What's the line like for that, and when do you suggest is the best time for it? We'll be using MM on a Tuesday, MTTMM on Wednesday, and will have about half a day in the park on Thursday.
FNSV has been inconsistent in my experience. We have ridden it within an hour of park opening and it was only 5-10 minutes long. But sometimes it will build up to as much as 40 minutes. What I do is peak in on FNSV in the morning as we are passing by to maybe get Space Mtn FPs or something and ride it if it is short and if it is too long (20+ minutes) come back at night. It seems to always die down to under 15 minutes once evening hits and there is an evening parade and fireworks/Fantasmic.

You can pay I think $4 for a subscription to www.touringplans.com DLR crowd predictor and it will tell you what they think the lines will be on any give day.

3. This one blows my mind--no FP for Toy Story Mania? Even with FP, this has a 2 hour line ALL DAY at WDW, and the FP disappear by 10 on most days. Is this a normally long line. When should we go to that?
Because of a combination of higher attendance at DHS vs. DCA (10 million vs. 6.5 million) and less rides at DHS than DCA TSMM has gotten disproportionately popular at DHS over DCA. TSMM at DCA is very popular but even on the worst day seems to get lines of up to 60 minutes. On most days it peaks out at 40 minutes. Once LMAUA opens June 3 I expect TSMM will decrease further.

Adding FP machines to any ride requires real estate - some dedicated space. In the area of DCA where TSMM is located space is tight. So for that reason and maybe others (rumors are that Disney managers at DLR want to phase out FP - who knows?) there is no FP for TSMM.

Bottom line is TSMM has been the most difficult ride at all of DLR to get on with a short morning or evening line for the last three years since it opened.

Again, I suspect LMAUA opening will change this and spread folks out a little more.

There are two main schools of thought around here on riding TSMM (which will change after LMAUA) - both held by knowledgeable folks.

1. Do TSMM at rope drop

2. Do TSMM late afternoon/evening

The rope drop folks usually suggest arriving at DCA rope drop at either 9:30 or 9:45 AM to be one of the first to TSMM. If you are a fast walker you might be able to get on TSMM with a 5 minute wait after waiting 15-30 minutes at rope drop. So call it a 20-35 minute wait. Some people believe this is best.

The second group says

"why spend precious morning time at DCA rope drop when I could be inside DLR riding rides and collecting FPs?. I can ride TSMM after 4PM often with a 40 minute wait and sometimes with a 20-30 minute wait. Is it really worth it to do DCA rope drop and still wait 20-35 minutes in the morning so I can avoid a 40 minute wait that might be a 30 or even 20 minute wait later in the day"?"

I am firmly with group 2. I have done the rope drop once and still waited overall 35 minutes to actually ride TSMM (20 minutes at RD and then 15 minutes at the ride itself).

But there are others here who I respect who firmly believe in the first strategy.

4. Just saw Goofy's Sky School is opening. Do you think that will have a FP? I'm assuming the MM you listed in your 2005 trip itinerary was Mulholland Madness, which has turned into this ride.
I have not heard. Yes MM had FP (and single rider too). I suspect they will keep that for GSS.

I'm sure HG will be along with opinions, but i'll offer mine :):

EDIT - RATS......HG BEAT ME TO IT. :)

I've decided to post these questions here, as they mostly fit the thread topic. No point in starting something new for this.

1. You mention above that you think the BLAB FP will go to ST when it opens June 3rd. This means no more FP for BLAB, or just limited machines for BLAB?

No more.

If no more FP, what's the stand by wait time for this ride, usually? This is one of those rides at WDW that easily gets a long wait.

BLAB is a good ride to do late during MM (on your way over to SM to pick up your first FP at :00). It's also a good ride to ride early (the first 2-3 hours of opening or after MM ends.). Line moves quick & my waits are usually under 3-5 min. during this time.

After 2 hours after opening. Maybe during a parade......or during the fireworks. Or any time you are walking by & the line is 20 min. or less. It's a time eater & best not to do it during precious FP collecting or touring time the first 2 hours.

It's not as big a deal as WDW. 30-40 min. line from noon - 4pm. I've had good luck twice around 1pm.

The FP system works for us at WDW, although I've definitely learned a few things from reading your threads here. Thank you!

Good questions. I'm curious how GSS & Star Tours 2.0 affects FP collecting & touring....it will be a topic of conversation here over the next few months.

Have a great time at Walt's Park. :thumbsup2

:)

:banana: Just back from DL and we had a blast even though it was super spring break crowded! We couldn't have done it without all the great tips on collecting/using FPs!!!! THANKS!!!!!!!!

No more FP for BLAB. day.

There are two main schools of thought around here on riding TSMM (which will change after LMAUA) - both held by knowledgeable folks.

1. Do TSMM at rope drop

2. Do TSMM late afternoon/evening

Then there is the third option...

Go to Rope Drop at 5 minutes to 10, run as fast as you can on rope drop pushing past everyone else who had been waiting 20 minutes plus and ride with only a 5 minute wait...

IMO in peak times rope drop doesn't work unless you do the above (as there are plenty of others that are)... We did it once and never again as we followed the rules we ended up with a about a 35 minute wait in total, however I have heard that it is much better in less busy times. We were there early August and seldom saw the queue above 45 minutes or below 30... It is the most consistent queue in DLR...

Would have posted this on the main page, but there's no reply button. Toy Story Midway Mania no longer has Single Rider. I asked the cm and he said so. Bummer. The wait was 55 minutes! Uggh!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter