• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Getting to Know You.....

mowsie dreamer

<font color=blue>100 Days <font color=red>Cheat Fr
Although I've been on the DisBoards for a while now, I'm pretty new to the Community Board and I know there are other newbies here as well. I thought a getting to know you thread might be a nice way to get acquainted with everyone. :D

I'll start:

I’m Jeanie. I’m 48 years old and I live in East Tennessee about an hour away from the Great Smokies National Park & Gatlinburg. Our household consists of me, DH (51) and DD (16) and our wild & frisky Australian Shepard mix doggie, Mocha. DD has just gotten her driver’s license, so as you can imagine, there are a few extra gray hairs on my head these days. :eek:

I work in the business office of a school system, which I enjoy very much (on most days, lol). I love to travel, but don’t get to as much as I would like due to time and budget. My very favorite place to go is the beach. There is just something so relaxing about the sound of the waves on the beach, it really de-stresses me. I love going to new places and finding out all about them, too. And of course I love visiting WDW! I also love to read and go to the movies.

So, that's me! :D Who's next?

great idea, mowsie. We always have new people and we can all benefit from a round of introductions!

I'm Bet. I just turned 44 (oops, I started to type 43!) and live in Tampa, FL, a little over an hour from WDW!

My DH is Tom. He works in the development office of a private university. I worked in commercial lending at various banks for the past 13 years, but I "retired" in January to work with my parents in a family-owned business. I mainly do investment research.

I have a DS who's 18. He just finished his freshman year in college. My other DS is 17 and is a junior in high school. DD is 9 and she's the spoiled princess of our group!

We also have a year and a half old Bichon Frise. He's a rascal but we love him dearly!

As a family we love theme parks, sporting events, the beach and the mountains of Western North Carolina.

<font color=navy>I'll play :)

I'm Mary Jo (just like my DIS name), and I'm 43, with two rascals - Nick (15) and Kelly (14), who also come to the boards from time to time. We live in a 2-story house (that I grew up in), and both rascals go to Catholic schools. Nick is in the high school, and Kelly graduates this year from the elementary (1-8th) school, so she's particularly busy this year.

We live just 25 minutes via freeway from the original Magic Kingdom, and go quite often, though not recently cuz we've been so busy. We live in what's called the South Bay area of Los Angeles, and in spite of the smog, traffic, and gangs, I love it here because we're just s a short drive away from the beach (15 mins), mountains (1 hr), and desert (2 hrs) if we want to visit. We also have a lot of museums and loads of places to visit.

I'm lucky in that the rascals share my interests - Disney (you should see my dd's Tigger stuff), nature - we go camping quite often, and travelling - biggest trips have been to WDW and Spain.

Their dad lives in San Diego, about 2 hours south of here, and they visit him at least once a month, and sometimes every other weekend.

While they go to school, I go to work at Northrop Grumman (home of the B2, F18, etc.), and work quite close to the LAX airport, and just 5 minutes from the beach. Lately, I've been driving to the shore at lunch & it's so beautiful there. I also enjoy reading & go to the movies w/the kids, and by myself at times when there's something I like and they don't. I'm also pretty involved with my dd's school, and with our church. So are the rascals, which makes it nice in our family.

:sunny:

Nice to meet both of you (and all others).

Im Laura. Just turned 34 in March and live in Port Saint Lucie, FL. Live about 1 hr. & 45 min. from WDW. Am a FL NATIVE (I know hard to believe, but true.) and would miss living so close to the "Magic" if we ever moved. Have 3 kids (DD, 6 & DS, 8 and DH, 39).

I am a stay at home mom and I homeschool my DD.

Okay, my turn. My name is Kelli, I am 41 years old and I live in Colorado. I am one of the few residents of this state that wants to move very badly. I am a legal assistant for a family law attorney. I love what I do, and have a great boss (just the two of us). I have two girls (see pic below, they are on the right, I am on the left). Sarah, 22, just graduated from Manhattan Christian College in Manhattan, KS last weekend. She will be working as a Children's Minister in Topeka, KS starting June 1. Kimmi, 20, is working on saving money to go to beauty school. She currently works at a daycare and lives at home. Stephen, my dh, works for Qwest, our local telephone company. He is trying to get transfered somewhere southeast of here, but so far no takers. I want a warmer climate, where you don't get a foot on snow in mid-May :D . He graduated from college in 99 with a degree in Psychology, and plans to get his teaching certificate as soon as we move. If he doesn't get a transfer, he will retire in 7 years, and then we'll move (probably somewhere in North Carolina). He'll just turn 50 and will start in his teaching career then.

I love all things Disney, and go to WDW at least once a year due to owning DVC. I love gardening and remodeling our house. We enjoy taking weekend trips on our motorcycle. I love to act and am on the Board of our local community theater. I also sing in church often.

I'm Satine(not my real name) and 23 years old.I'm not married but involved in a long distance romance with my bf.My name comes from being a hige Moulin Rouge fan:) I'm getting a small but growing collection of Disney goodies and on summer break from college(junior in the fall)

What a great idea! We haven't done this in a while.

You probably can't tell from my user name but I am a Texan and I'm very proud of that fact. I think it is something genetic, everyone I know from Texas is proud that they are Texan ;)

I've been on the DIS since February, 2000, not nearly as long as a lot of our DISers have been here.

I talk a <b>lot</b>, or should I say that I <i>type</i> a lot :)

I've been married almost 32 years to a wonderful man. His one bad point is that he is severely Disney impaired. I love him anyway, he underwrites all of my solo trips to WDW :teeth:

We have one son, age 28, who is a Scenic Designer for theatre at Stages Repertory Theatre in Houston. Right now, he is also working as a technical director there. He loves his work and he is just getting started with his career after finishing graduate school last May.

I love the DIS and I love DIS chat. Somedays I love the cb and other days I don't. I love WISH, everyday :)

Katholyn

Hello all! My name is Patti. I'm 38 years old, married and have an almost 14 year old daughter and an 18 year old stepson (he doesn't live with us). I live in Western NY and CANNOT WAIT until we move to Florida. We must first wait for our DD to get out of high school, as we don't want to disrupt her routine by moving her around. So here we stay - for now. I was formerly a Buyer at a medical device manufacturer, but have since left the working world due to multiple sclerosis. I am an avid collector of celebrity autographs and way too into Walt Disney World. ;)

Me, too! Me, too!!:D

Hi Everyone!!
I don't post here much, but have been a VERY long time lurker.:D My name is Julie and I am from Michigan - outside of Detroit. I work at a nursery in the patio furniture department and I am in charge of spas and grills. I love my job. I worked for Disney for 8 years - and my current job is much more fun.;) I actually hijacked my BF's screen name - he registered and never, ever posted.:rolleyes: He and I have been together for 9 years and hope to move to sunny, warm WDW-ville sometime.

I am very into my garden and WDW. We go to WDW 2 or 3 times a year and that still is NOT ENOUGH! LOL!:p :p

Next please!

I'll join in!:Pinkbounc

I'm Ellen, 35 years old, married for 15 years, with two DD. I have a home child care center where I keep about 6 children at any given time. My dh is 45. I have a dd that is 13 and one 10. We live in the upstate of South Carolina - I was born and raised here :p

I love anything Disney - which my family does support - just doesn't truely understand. As a family, we enjoy camping, hiking, and just spending time together.

Great thread!

I'm trying to get more involved in the boards so i'll jump in too!

I'm Tara and I have one 3 year old boy who, while being the light of my life, is also giving me the biggest challenge of my life at the moment. I'm a single mom by choice and I teach deaf and hard of hearing students in a middle school in Virginia Beach. I also work part time for the Mouse, as well as having my own independent cosmetic business and am enrolled in UVA's graduate program.

I love everything I do, would like to have more time for a social life, but I'm finding my 30 minute lunch time on the DIS is a pretty good substitute. I can live vicariously through others!!

Thanks for the intro thread.

tara

I'm Mary. I am 29 and live in the northern suburbs of the Twin Cities. Primarily stay-at-home mom, but I also work as a consultant for The Pampered Chef (interesting that after going to college in Geological Engineering). DH Bryan is 30, soon to be 31 over our weekend trip in June and he posts infrequently on the DIS as lightsaber. He's an Internet Systems Engineer for Qwest. We have 2 kids - DS Stefan is 7 and DD Caitlin is 6.

We all love Disney. DH is so hooked he really doesn't want to go anywhere else.

I volunteer a lot at the kids' school and am wrapping up a term as President of our local MOMS Club chapter.

I love planning Disney trips and am good at it. My dream job would be to do that for a living, but unfortunately don't have any travel agent training and DU isn't looking to hire anytime soon I'd guess with travel still down.

My name is Marie and I am .....lets just say......over the hill......brian and I have been married for 36 years in a few weeks....we found Disney when people told us we had to go someplace for our 25th anniversary....so we did on our 26th....we have been 15 times now and yah......we love it.......we have two grown children and two grandkids that we love....both of us have our own computers and hubby is the one that found this site almost three years ago....so I could Play disney all the time.......we live in Maine and we are ready for summer......in a few years we would like to migrate to Florida for the winters and not have to shovel ever again......

Hi, I'm Linda. I am 47, married and the mother of 3 boys. My oldest (23) graduated from West Chester U on Saturday. My middle (22) will graduate from U of Maryland in College Park in December. My youngest (12) is my challange and is in 6th grade and into baseball right now. We also share our home with 6 cats, 2 fish and 2 terripins. My DH posts on the DVC board once in a while. I work for the local housing authority and DH works for the Trump Plaza in Atlantic City. We are DVC members and own at Boardwalk and Beach Club. We go 2 or 3 times a year. We love Disney and our den is Disney themed.

I love where I live. My job is ok. I love sports especially football. I still attend all of our high school games. Right now I am cheering for the Nets and Devils even though most people in our area are Phila. fans our family is NOT.

I've been on the Boards a long time but I'm not really very well known.

Ok, I'll play! My name is Melissa, I am 41. Ellen, I live in upstate SC too! We moved to SC 7 years ago from Atlanta. At that time I became a sahm and a part time pre-school teacher at our church school. I have been married 21 years and have a DS 19 and DD16. DS is home from Marine boot camp recovering from an injury but will report back in January. DD is a H.S. sophmore and just started driving! Yikes! Kinda reminds me of Mr. Toad's wild ride. She is in chorus which keeps her (and us) busy - our next WDW trip will be in January when they sing in MK. DH is Human Resource Director and is involved in a choral group.

We love the mountains..my Dad lives in Vail, CO and although the Rockies are breathtaking we enjoy the Blue Ridge Mtns. more and hope to retire to our mountain house in N. GA. Mtns. one day! Of course, we'll continue our Disney vacations! You can never get too much MOUSE!

I have no kids,just a pair of cats(Cordeila and Doyle,watch season 1 of Angel to understand the names:) )

My name is Tina. I'm 35. I live in St. Petersburg, Fl. I have two kids ds just turned 12 on Mothers Day, my dd is 7. I will officially have a stepson (19) and granddaughter (7 months) on Aug 31. You guessed it, I'm getting married Aug 31.

We are all Disney fans. My bathroom has several Mickey's living in it. He will be soon be joined by other Dis characters. The rest of my house has been taken over by Donald Duck. My fiance has approximately 450 Donald Ducks.

Most of our activities revolve around the kids school schedule, baseball, band and girl scouts. When we're not busy with the kids activities or playing at WDW we like to camp.

next....

I'm Tammi, 27, married to Michael (occasionally known as VonDrake on the DIS, though I don't think he's posted in over a year). Been married 3.5 years now. No two-legged kids, but we have 3 four-legged furbabies that we love dearly and consider our kids.

I do web design in the Space program, love what I do though at times it can be slow (and earlier this year was depressing). It's a great group of people here and that's hard to find.

I'm also attending grad school in Instructional Technology, one class a semester. Last semester was the best I can ever remember and the first time I've been really depressed that the semester was over -- I wasn't ready for it to end, I wanted more. So I'm obviously looking forward to the future in this program. :) And my independant study project is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and the prof is so interested in it that they're allowing me to carry it through 3 semesters or more if needed to get it to what we all envision.

When not working or doing school stuff, I'm typically either cross stitching/designing (trying to sell some designs to a publisher/distributor/shop right now actually...), quilting (just getting into it), role-playing (revived an old hobby recently -- I play online in an X-men themed environment), reading (Fantasy, light Sci-Fi, or mystery most often), sketching, or hanging out with friends. No, I don't fit enough sleep in there. ;)

Aside from Disney (obviously -- I love the parks and most of the animated movies and some of the live-action classics), my loves are the Mountains, desert of the American Southwest (anyone who's seen redrock country knows what I'm talking about), kitties, crafts, reading, writing...

My turn. I'm Cindy and I just turned 42 (don't tell anyone though;) ). My DH, Gary, will be 49 in July. Our 2 sons are 8 and 3. Reading some of the other threads makes me realize that both of them could actually be our grandchildren. But, I wouldn't trade it for the world. We also have a dog, rabbit and hampster. We've been married for almost 14 years.

DH is an analyst for a major finacial company. Prior to the birth of our oldest child, I was a programmer analyst for an insurance company. When DS8 was born, I decided to "retire" for an easier job. Boy was I in for a surprise.:eek: The hardest job I've ever had -- although by far the one with the most rewards.

I started babysitting for other people children when my DS8 was about a year old. The extra income was nice to have and became my spending money. Word of mouth brought more and more people knocking on my door. Eventually I became a licensed daycare provider and that's what I have been doing for the last several years. I currently care for 4 children, besides my own. Again. lots of rewards in this business. Where else could I get endless smiles and hugs all day??

We grew into our love of Disney on our first trip in 1998. We couldn't wait to go back. We have since bought into the Disney Vacation Club. We're assured many more vacations that way.:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter