GM Premium Floor Liners vs Husky vs Weathertech?

EscalatorKid

Registered
So, I just bought a 2018 Chevy Trax for a really good deal. I'm thrilled and I'm replacing an '07 Cobalt that has served me very, very well for the last twelve years. (I'm also a little bit sad; it's like losing a friend. This car has been with me through so much! Argh. It feels like Toy Story 3 but with my car.)

Given that I live in Buffalo, the land of snow and ice, and subsequently, salt, dirty slush, and mud, I need floor liners to keep my car as nice and squeaky clean as possible. Cleaning dried road salt out of black carpet in a car is not fun... which is why I'm looking at floor liners and not floor mats for this car. I intend to keep this baby nice for the next twelve years.

For those of you who have bought a GM OEM Floor Liner for any GM vehicle, how are they? I've heard they are comparable to WeatherTech or Husky, but they just have the GM branding in it. I can obtain a set of these for about $10-15+ cheaper than the alternatives because of my parents' GM Friends/Family Discount.

I've not heard great things about the NEW Weathertech liners. My parents have a set on their GMC Terrain and they've deformed and look shabby and they've only had the liners for 14 months. OLD WT liners held up well; my parents' old Pontiac Grand Prix still has them and they're doing well. But the new ones haven't held up well.

And as for Husky, my grandfather has a set in his Terrain and they are quite nice and not deformed or anything.

I guess what I want to know is how nice are the Chevy/GM ones? Did anyone get a Chevy Trax (or Buick Encore) and the GM-OEM Liners (not mats) and like it? Do they warp or stain badly?

Thanks!

Hmm, interesting topic (no really!). I'm also in Buffalo. I drive a 13 yr old Town & Country that I do not have liner mats for... I just have an excessive amount of rubber mats that I layer. But, for my previous vehicle which was a fancier 2007 Lincoln MKZ, I had the Weathertech liners, which I purchased when I bought the vehicle in 2010. They were excellent. I did not realize that they have changed since then. We also have an '08 Silverado that I don't have liners for but would like to get some, because my husband isn't quite as meticulous as me and I'm the person that takes primary care of our vehicles. We just bought a set of Husky liners for my FIL's F-150 for his birthday, but that was only just last month so no report on that yet.... Anyway, I didn't realize that GM made their own floor liners -- is that recent? I'm curious if that's something that would be available for our Silverado even though it's old. Interested to hear responses...

We've used Husky liners in all our vehicles for years. Very happy with them. Hold up very, very well. Fit perfect. And, cost MUCH less than weathertech. Made in America too. :-)

We've used Husky liners in all our vehicles for years. Very happy with them. Hold up very, very well. Fit perfect. And, cost MUCH less than weathertech. Made in America too. :-)

I was hoping that was true for my 2015 Ford Escape, but the Husky floor liners were only a buck or so cheaper, and the cargo mat was $10 more. Had never heard of Husky before. I will do more research and pick the better one.

Hmm, interesting topic (no really!). I'm also in Buffalo. I drive a 13 yr old Town & Country that I do not have liner mats for... I just have an excessive amount of rubber mats that I layer. But, for my previous vehicle which was a fancier 2007 Lincoln MKZ, I had the Weathertech liners, which I purchased when I bought the vehicle in 2010. They were excellent. I did not realize that they have changed since then. We also have an '08 Silverado that I don't have liners for but would like to get some, because my husband isn't quite as meticulous as me and I'm the person that takes primary care of our vehicles. We just bought a set of Husky liners for my FIL's F-150 for his birthday, but that was only just last month so no report on that yet.... Anyway, I didn't realize that GM made their own floor liners -- is that recent? I'm curious if that's something that would be available for our Silverado even though it's old. Interested to hear responses...

Yeah, WT USED to be really good. But they really took a dive if the ones in my parents' GMC are any indication.

My Dad's got a bare bones 09 Silverado that has no carpet and mats. I don't think laser liners were an option at that time.

I am going to ask at the Dealer tomorrow when I pick up my car to see an example of the floor liners so I can compare.

Yes, my Grandpa has Husky and they are quite nice. The GM and the Husky are both USA-made, which is always good.

I have Weather Tech in my 2014 Explorer and they're great. Also made in America, which I look for. OP, sorry to hear your parents ones aren't holding up. My husband just got a set 2 yrs ago for his Escape. I did buy the cargo liner from Ford, and have been happy with it. Sorry I don't have specific GM advice.

I have the husky mats for my civic and I really like them. The back is on piece so it covers the hump. Easy to keep clean and stays in place.

Update: I decided to buy them because I get the GM Family Discount. I guess the worst that happens is I try to peddle them on the local Yard Sale page and buy something else.

Evidently they are like WeatherTech, and I should be getting them today or tomorrow, depending on the delivery schedule. I'll update later to confirm how they are and if I like them.

Thanks for your input, everyone!

It is very likely that GM is just branding liners made by someone else. Personally I always go WT and think they make the best products but if the GM branded ones are similar and cheaper they might be just as good or close enough.

It is very likely that GM is just branding liners made by someone else. Personally I always go WT and think they make the best products but if the GM branded ones are similar and cheaper they might be just as good or close enough.

I have heard they're made in the USA by WeatherTech. They're cheaper than actual WT after discount, so I can't go too wrong.

My previous 2 Fords, Escape and now Edge have had rubber liners in them. I negotiated them into the price as a value add before the sale closed. I've been happy with both.

All of the other cars we have are lined with WT. We're happy with those, too. (I wasn't involved in the negotiation of any of the other vehicles. lol)

I have used WT for a number of years on various vehicles. I've never had any issues and will purchase them in the future.

Update: They are similar to WT, rubbery but hard plastic. They have the sharp nubs underneath to dig into the carpet and stay put.

There is a small cut out so that the liner isn't directly under the pedal area, but I'd rather not have anything in that space anyway. They lock down on the driver's side, but should the hooks break... (I used to have migrating floor mats-- never again.)

They are serving their purpose well, so far.

Thanks again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter