Go Fund Me Me Me...my dreams, my car, my trips

I've clearly been doing things all wrong. Who wants to contribute to my stove fund? I could use a new i-phone too. ;)

Seriously, why do people donate to some of these? Of course it's their choice but.... o_O

Why do people get bent out of shape about go fund me for trips or band fees? It's not like anyone has a gun to their head to donate. Now if someone claims they need a surgery and they didn't well yes, I'll have something to say about lying like a sack of crap. But if someone's honest and says donate for my band trip, no skin off my nose. I'd much rather donate $10 to a go fund me than pay $15 for a $2 roll of wrapping paper that the band gets $3 of. I'm $5 better off and the band is $7 better off. A win win.

Hmm... maybe I need to set up a Gofundme account to help support our family's next WDW trip. It is educational as giving my kids this gift is an educational experience. lol..

but seriously.. I have given to Gofundme a few times.. to people I personally know.

1. One was for an old college friend who had nastly cancer and was saving money to travel out of state for special treatment. I had been observing his battle for years on on FB.. He died before treatment. I figure that money was well used for funeral expenses.. depressed me.
2. Cousin's DH also has cancer treatement and I know they are hurting financially. He has insurance but it is costing them an arm and leg traveling downtown and paying for parking for treatment. I have here.

and here is a good tip...
Another old college friend. Actually a really good girlfriend. Died suddently at 42 from cardiac arrest. Leaving behind 2 kid and a DH... a friend in common started a Gofundme account for the family. but without consulting her DH (this friend i this type of person.. I am in charge and doing things my way... I told her ask DH first) ... My deceased friend's family started messaging on FB to people there is a fraud Gofundme account out and about ( as they knew nothing nor were involed with setting this Gofundme up, ). Fraud was not the case - my other friend did this with very good intentions. trying to get our old group of friends together to give money via GoFundme. but an eye opener as I could see this happening..Her DH actually preferred that donations be made via their church... Her DH felt otherwise and there was some drama.

The best is the brag plus go fund me request...my kid is SOOO smart they get the opportunity to go to this awesome camp and its $5500 and we're asking for a goal of $7500 to cover the travel charges too and so I can see my kid off. Year after year with these camp go fund mes. Ugh.

I do appreciate the service for larger, actual funding raising drives.

Yes! "My DD has been given the once in a lifetime opportunity to...Please help make her dream come true." The number one offender among my friends is a stay at home mom. I never donated as I had my own 'amazing' children to support and enrich but in the beginning many others did. I've noticed that the last few got very few donations.

I've mostly donated to the medical ones. Unforseen costly nightmares that I want to do something to try and help.

And I guess I really should take the tack of just ignoring the ridiculous requests rather than my current ignore with annoyance.

Last edited:
...and here is a good tip...
Another old college friend. Actually a really good girlfriend. Died suddently at 42 from cardiac arrest. Leaving behind 2 kid and a DH... a friend in common started a Gofundme account for the family. but without consulting her DH (this friend i this type of person.. I am in charge and doing things my way... I told her ask DH first) ... My deceased friend's family started messaging on FB to people there is a fraud Gofundme account out and about ( as they knew nothing nor were involed with setting this Gofundme up, ). Fraud was not the case - my other friend did this with very good intentions. trying to get our old group of friends together to give money via GoFundme. but an eye opener as I could see this happening..Her DH actually preferred that donations be made via their church... Her DH felt otherwise and there was some drama.
A couple of years ago friends of ours tragically lost their young son to a drowning accident at a local community lake where he had been attending a birthday party. It was was a highly-publicized incident and our entire city grieved with them. A (probably) well-meaning stranger started a Go-Fund-Me account for the family, without their consent or knowledge. The family was furious because they had absolutely no need for money and humiliated at the public implication that they did. More than $10,000 was collected almost overnight due to the media coverage of their loss, which they insisted be returned to the donors. I don't know enough about Go-Fund-Me to know if that's even possible, or whatever ended up happening to the money but the fund organizer was interviewed by several local news outlets apologizing to the family.

In another highly public case, the Go-Fund-Me started for the Humboldt Broncos hockey team collected over 15 million dollars in under 3 weeks back in April. Disbursement of the money needs to conform to the applicable laws in Saskatchewan including being managed by a court-appointed administrator. Other than Go-Fund-Me itself which has taken $500,000 in fees, nobody has received any money from it yet. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...m-from-gofundme-site-charging-500000-fee.html

Last edited:
GoFundMe and Patreon. Bunch of nonsense.

I feel like Patreon can be a different thing. Sometimes I imagine it is used in a "give me money for nothing" type of way. But in other cases it is actually people paying to support someone for providing a service that they enjoy. For example, there is a guy who runs a website and a very active FB page that tracks hurricanes. As far as I can tell, this is a hobby for him and he is not paid, but he has an incredible amount of followers and people who rely on his knowledge. Someone suggested he open up a patreon account so that he could be reimbursed for some of his time and many people said they would be glad to donate as they don't want to lose his valuable guidance. That makes sense to me.

I think some of them are created as a joke to see if people actually donate.
As to why people get bent out of shape- it isn't because of the GoFundMe, it is more about being ashamed of what society has become. The GFMs are just a reflection of that.
There was a time where people worked hard for what they wanted, they sacrificed other things for what they wanted, or they just went without until a time came when they could provide it themselves.
Now, people have no problem sticking their hand out to beg for what they want.
And before anyone tries to twist things, I'm not talking about people who are truly in need of something.

GFM takes a percentage, I think it is 10%. If you want to donate, send the money directly to the person who the account is set up for, or send it to the person who set up the account, that way they get all of the money you send.

Why do people get bent out of shape about go fund me for trips or band fees? It's not like anyone has a gun to their head to donate. Now if someone claims they need a surgery and they didn't well yes, I'll have something to say about lying like a sack of crap. But if someone's honest and says donate for my band trip, no skin off my nose. I'd much rather donate $10 to a go fund me than pay $15 for a $2 roll of wrapping paper that the band gets $3 of. I'm $5 better off and the band is $7 better off. A win win.
When our daughter was in elementary school and would come home with a fund raising folder I would just send it back with a check directly to the PTO. Not sending a 7yr door to door around the neighborhood to sell overpriced junk. I think they finally started just sending out a letter in the beginning of the year asking for a donation in lieu of sales. When I was working in a HS I loved the 1.00 candy bar sales-I could say yes to everyone that asked me to buy one and my husband was thrilled.

I think some of them are created as a joke to see if people actually donate.
As to why people get bent out of shape- it isn't because of the GoFundMe, it is more about being ashamed of what society has become. The GFMs are just a reflection of that.
There was a time where people worked hard for what they wanted, they sacrificed other things for what they wanted, or they just went without until a time came when they could provide it themselves.
Now, people have no problem sticking their hand out to beg for what they want.
And before anyone tries to twist things, I'm not talking about people who are truly in need of something.

GFM takes a percentage, I think it is 10%. If you want to donate, send the money directly to the person who the account is set up for, or send it to the person who set up the account, that way they get all of the money you send.

I agree that many are probably started as a joke.

But to be fair, there were people back in the old day who didn't work hard for what they wanted either, it just wasn't as easy or as obvious when they went begging for things.

And also there are plenty of people these days who still work very hard things and sacrifice until the can afford what they want - across all of the generations.

I think this is just a case of the interent shining a light on things that have existed in the past but that just weren't as obvious.

Ohhhh, it is pretty despicable!!!
But, I don't even see them, because I am not even looking.

Having said that... We put a deposit down on a cruise that can't really afford....
Would anybody here want to help us out!!!!
Please... Pretty please!!!!

I don’t have social media....so no Facebook, twitter, etc to contact me with. I have received emails typically. My nephews have sent them via email which has always been fine. They have asked for things that I have no problem supporting. However, once I received an email from a lady begging for money to send her daughter to college. She talked about all the challenges her family had and then ends with her daughter has an opportunity to go to college a year earlier than normal if they can come up with the cash. She said they just didn’t have time to save money to send her to college because they were dealing with family issues the past year. Well I thought, I’m here to tell you saving for one year will get you a semester maybe. They should have been thinking about that 10 years ago! I have two of my own to put through college. Here's the kicker, I had no stinking clue who this even was. So I sent her an email back and said, do I know you? She said “yes, my daughter was on the city league softball team with your daughter when they were in second grade. Remember I helped run the snacks for the coach. “ :rotfl2:That was 12 years ago!!! I started looking for the cameras, surely I was being punked!!
Wow, that woman was really reaching! I got those through email also. I’m not even on social media! Ours seem to come from people who work for the same company as my husband and my SIL giving out my email. We get a lot of wedding, adoption and IVF treatment requests. Also, mission trips.

I agree that many are probably started as a joke.

But to be fair, there were people back in the old day who didn't work hard for what they wanted either, it just wasn't as easy or as obvious when they went begging for things.

And also there are plenty of people these days who still work very hard things and sacrifice until the can afford what they want - across all of the generations.

I think this is just a case of the interent shining a light on things that have existed in the past but that just weren't as obvious.

Could be that we are all just seeing it because of social media, but to me it is more that the attitude of society is that this kind of begging has now become acceptable.
(to the bolded)- I never said there wasn't.

The one that got to me the most was when a friend on Facebook posted a GoFundMe link to help her friend's daughter go on a school trip. She was old enough to get a job, but didn't.... When I was a teenager, I had a dream of going to France. After two years of dog walking and babysitting it became a reality. I paid for the WHOLE trip myself and I was only 16 when I went.

Ohhhh, it is pretty despicable!!!
But, I don't even see them, because I am not even looking.

Having said that... We put a deposit down on a cruise that can't really afford....
Would anybody here want to help us out!!!!
Please... Pretty please!!!!

Why go on a cruise if you can’t afford it? I get that vacations are nice and a break is really needed sometimes but why not do something more affordable?

I usually don’t care about what other people do with their money but this is really odd to me.

Why go on a cruise if you can’t afford it? I get that vacations are nice and a break is really needed sometimes but why not do something more affordable?

I usually don’t care about what other people do with their money but this is really odd to me.

Psst I think she was kidding

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter