• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Going next Sun-Tues for 1st time. Why can't I grasp Maxpass??

bjs1228

Mouseketeer
We are going to be at DLR this next Sunday-Tuesday for the first time after going to WDW 7 times. I have read so much on the boards about Maxpass, but for some reason it just isn't clicking. Maybe I can't get WDW fastness system out of my head, which I know how to work so easily. Could anyone tell me two things: if we are in the parks early (staying at GCH), what time do I need to make my first fp? Also, what time do I need to get one for RSR as this is the main one we want. I hope it will click once I'm there and using it. Thanks in advance!

You can make them any time after your ticket is scanned at the turnstile. You can make them during the early entry hour, but return times don't start until regular open. RSR is one of the first to run out so it's a good one to get first. It varies a lot by time of year, but I'd expect them generally to be gone by noon.

That early hour is a great time to just ride without a FP. We typically do Pixar Pier and ride things multiple times, then plan to be at RSR to get in line just before the regular park open crowd arrives. Our first FP is typically GotG.

There's a very helpful "how to" article posted on the Disneyland Daily page that explains all about how to use Max Pass. You can find it at https://disneylanddaily.com/a-fastpass-guide-for-disneyland-and-california-adventure/. We've used Max Pass a couple of times now. Based on my experience so far, here's the Reader's Digest version of how it works:

1. Unlike at WDW, DL FP or Max Pass does not allow you to "reserve" or "book" a FP for a specific time slot. In other words, you can't select 3-4 pm if it's currently handing out FPs for 10-11 am.
  2. If you are using EMH or MM to get into the parks early, the way you "activate" and start using Max Pass for the day is to first enter 1 of the parks (assuming you have a park hopper ticket). If you don't have a park hopper ticket, then Max Pass will only let you get FP for rides at the one park you're in for the day.
  3. During the EMH/MM hour, you CAN get a FP for rides EVEN THOUGH the paper FP kiosks will not be handing out FP until the regular park opening. Go into the Disneyland app on your smart phone and select the ride you want.
  4. the Disneyland app will only display return times currently available. They'll probably all be in the first hour or 90 min after regular park opening.
  5. Select which guests in your party you want the FPs for. Like at WDW, you can pick 1 person or multiple people. You can get a FP for some of them for one ride and a different FP for everybody else for a different ride.
  6. Then go to the ride during that 1-hour return window. You'll have to either scan your paper ticket or scan your electronic ticket using the Disneyland app on your smart phone.
  7. When can you get another FP? Either after you've gone on that FP ride you just went on or at the time slot that Max Pass says you can get another FP. The time varies based on how soon (or not) your return window was after getting the FP. There are times when we've gotten a FP using Max Pass for HM or BTMRR and the return window was in 30 min.
  8. Lather, rinse, repeat throughout the rest of the day.
What if you really want to ride a specific ride at night? What do you do?
This can be really stressful if you're used to the WDW way of doing it. But trust me, it's much more relaxed at DL. Just keep checking the FP return windows on the Disneyland app and then when the FP return window for that ride gets to the time frame you want, THEN use Max Pass to get a FP for that ride.

What if you really want to ride a specific ride at night? What do you do?
This can be really stressful if you're used to the WDW way of doing it. But trust me, it's much more relaxed at DL. Just keep checking the FP return windows on the Disneyland app and then when the FP return window for that ride gets to the time frame you want, THEN use Max Pass to get a FP for that ride.
WAY less stressful than WDW where RSR would be out of FPs well in advance of same day (if scheduled like WDW).

One big key is to make sure everyone in your group has been scanned at the entry of the park. You will love max pass. We were there in December for the first time and on a Saturday we rode 17 different rides using max pass and stand by for some rides. It’s AWESOME. We are WDW regulars and I wish max pass was an option there.

I've never used the FP+ system at WDW, so I can't compare the two, but I will say that I'm super uptight about planning and wanting to get the most out out my trips. I was really confused by MP ahead of time not matter how much I read, and was getting stressed about it. But as others have mentioned, got the hang of it very quickly and I loved it.

Think of MaxPass like old-school WDW paper FPs, but without having to walk to a machine to collect them. You take whatever time the "machine" (your phone) gives you, but you can keep collecting them every time your window opens.

So answering your questions in the OP, get your first MaxPass for something (like RSR) as soon as everyone has scanned their tickets at (either park's) turnstile. Note what time it says you can collect your next MaxPass, which may even be before the time you use the first (RSR?) MaxPass.

I.e. at 8:00 you get a 10:00 RSR MaxPass, but you can pull your next MP at 9:30. So keep an eye on the "next available" time.

PHXscuba

Thank you all! This has been very helpful to me. Getting excited about our trip now!

Don't worry-- it is so much easier than FP+. Once you start using it, you will master it quickly. Just know that you want to book something the minute you get through the turnstile- and that you can start booking your next one immediately after scanning into a ride (or after your time limited wait to get the next one is up- whichever is sooner).

If you have any experience at all with FP at WDW before FP+, it pretty much works like that except for you get to book them on your phone instead of having to run to the machines.

We are going to be at DLR this next Sunday-Tuesday for the first time after going to WDW 7 times. I have read so much on the boards about Maxpass, but for some reason it just isn't clicking. Maybe I can't get WDW fastness system out of my head, which I know how to work so easily. Could anyone tell me two things: if we are in the parks early (staying at GCH), what time do I need to make my first fp? Also, what time do I need to get one for RSR as this is the main one we want. I hope it will click once I'm there and using it. Thanks in advance!

As a WDW bet who is used to FP+ I was VERY hesitant about maxpass. We had our first DLR trip last week and maxpass is sooooo easy to use and is leaps and bounds better than the worlds fast pass system, imo

Don’t stress it!

Do they still have regular FP at the machines or is Max Pass the only FP type option now?

@bjs1228 honestly, I didn’t “grasp” it until I used it. Get it one day and you’ll get the hang real quick, it’s quite intuitive. And if you have any issues while in park just ask a CM, the best ones to ask are at information stands wearing plaid.

The bad part about MP is that after using it, you will cry when you have to use FP+ at WDW because it is terrible comparitively!!
Technically... you’ll cry when you set your alarm to make the FP+ reservations, you’ll cry the next day when nothing awesome is available despite the god forsaken hour you got up, and you’ll cry when you miss the FP because your bus broke down & the CM at the ride will. Not. Budge... Disneyland ROCKS!

I tried to grasp MaxPass strategy with all those posts...and my eyes just glazed over. I couldn’t handle it.
Honestly, all you need to know is that you can book FastPasses as soon as you get into the park. It’s not a bad idea to get RSR right away, but if that doesn’t suit you, book whatever interests you. And you can book another FastPass every 90 minutes, so you can see what else interests you in either park! It’s so easy to be spontaneous with MaxPass, I think it adds to the fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter