Gold pass question

skierrob

Mouseketeer
Got a new gold pass about two months ago but have not redeemed it yet. Not going until later is month.
With the new annual pass changes what happens when I redeem my gold pass? It has now changed online from gold pass to “gold pass exchange”?

Last edited:
Reportedly, when it is activated it will be a Sorcerer Pass, with the new Sorcerer blockout dates (blocking out Thanksgiving, not blocking out Easter), but the with the Memory Maker add-on included. The answers have been somewhat mixed from Disney though, so I don't think we will really know until we hear from people activating them going forward.

With the new annual pass changes what happens when I redeem my gold pass? It has now changed online from gold pass to “gold pass exchange”?
Reportedly, when it is activated it will be a Sorcerer Pass, with the new Sorcerer blockout dates (blocking out Thanksgiving, not blocking out Easter)
So I'm in the same situation with a Gold Pass Exchange. I've tested it out on the park reservations page and it allows me to make a reservation for Thanksgiving. I'm also showing the ability to reserve in April when it was blocked under the old Gold Pass. Xmas is still blocked though as it should be with either the Gold or Sorcerer. It appears that Gold Pass Exchanges have Thanksgiving and Easter open.

So I'm in the same situation with a Gold Pass Exchange. I've tested it out on the park reservations page and it allows me to make a reservation for Thanksgiving. I'm also showing the ability to reserve in April when it was blocked under the old Gold Pass. Xmas is still blocked though as it should be with either the Gold or Sorcerer. It appears that Gold Pass Exchanges have Thanksgiving and Easter open.
I am seeing the same thing, but we were told by two different Disney phone reps yesterday that we would definitely be blocked out for Thanksgiving. I’m not sure Disney knows what is actually going to happen yet…

I am seeing the same thing, but we were told on the phone by two different Disney phone reps yesterday that we would definitely be blocked out for Thanksgiving. I’m not sure Disney knows what is actually going to happen yet…
It's my understanding that people are being given conflicting information about this from Disney. We might not know for sure until someone with a Gold Pass Exchange activates it and then tries to make a reservation during Thanksgiving. My question is, why would both Thanksgiving and Easter be open for the Gold Pass Exchangers right now? It could be a situation where the Disney computer system doesn't recognize the old GPE as being Sorcerer until you actually activate. Having both time frames open could be a temporary quirk. Then you get hit with the Thanksgiving block when you activate the GPE.

Reportedly, when it is activated it will be a Sorcerer Pass, with the new Sorcerer blockout dates (blocking out Thanksgiving, not blocking out Easter), but the with the Memory Maker add-on included. The answers have been somewhat mixed from Disney though, so I don't think we will really know until we hear from people activating them going forward.
That's what I have read as well.
I will find out next month. Hoping for the best.

I will find out next month. Hoping for the best.
What did you find out? We're in a similar situation -- I have a Gold AP renewal voucher, and DW's Gold AP is within its renewal window. We have a trip scheduled for next month's Gold AP blockout dates, which are not blocked out for the Sorcerer's AP. (I tried calling V.I.PASSHOLDER this morning, but the "more than 90 minutes" wait put me off >:()

I'm still getting conflicting information about this as well (different answers via phone and email). I have 1 gold and 3 silver passes. I'm not concerned with the gold going to a sorcerer pass but I am concerned about the silver to pirate pass. We have park reservations and everything scheduled in 2 weeks off of the silver passes. We bought the silver passes to be used during spring break and long weekends (don't care about the summer or winter holidays). I have my fingers crossed that if they change the passes that they switch them to sorcerer passes as well but I really won't know til I get there.

I don't understand why Disney is keeping up with a legacy blackout calendar for a year from now that I can book park reservations on but won't honor the pass when I go to use it.

I don't understand why Disney is keeping up with a legacy blackout calendar for a year from now that I can book park reservations on but won't honor the pass when I go to use it.
That's what tripped me up. I made the park reservations months ago, and then realized yesterday that they were during the blockout dates. Apparently the system only checks to see that you have a pass, but doesn't check what type of pass or what the blockout dates are. Back when I was an IT director, that sort of sloppy programming was totally unacceptable.

What did you find out? We're in a similar situation -- I have a Gold AP renewal voucher, and DW's Gold AP is within its renewal window. We have a trip scheduled for next month's Gold AP blockout dates, which are not blocked out for the Sorcerer's AP. (I tried calling V.I.PASSHOLDER this morning, but the "more than 90 minutes" wait put me off >:()
when we activated our AP renewal, it was converted to a Sorcerer's pass with free Photo pass. I don't recall what happened with the blackout dates as we weren't affected by them, so didn't pay attention. We went to guest services at the IG and was smooth and painless, about 5 minutes for both of us.

Thanks, @gharter. That will take care of my voucher. Hopefully I can renew DW's pass before we go and turn it into a Sorcerer's pass also. It's good to know about the free Photopass too, since the official Disney page says Photopass is an extra-price add-on.

Thanks, @gharter. That will take care of my voucher. Hopefully I can renew DW's pass before we go and turn it into a Sorcerer's pass also. It's good to know about the free Photopass too, since the official Disney page says Photopass is an extra-price add-on.
When we renew next time, photopass will be an add-on option. But it was part of the Gold Pass, so it was included free as it should have been.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter