Golden globes question-ricky gervais

Ricky Gervais was hilarious. I adore him and his sense of humor. He was actually quite tame last night compare to how he usually eviscerate the likes of Karl Pilkington (those who know Ricky know who I am talking about). Hollywood can dish it out but they suck at taking it. The GG people knew what they were getting with Gervais, so they can't act surprised when he acts like..well..Ricky Gervais!

Exactly! He was brilliant.

Rich

I have a hard time believing that anyone who had a hand in producing last night's show was surprised at the nature of his jokes. Are we to believe that nobody knew the things he was going to say before he said them? He did not have to submit his lines for approval to anyone before the show? They just handed the whole thing over to him, in full trust?

I don't know....I tend to think most things on tv, including most reality programming, is planned, written and reviewed to the last word.

I have a hard time believing that anyone who had a hand in producing last night's show was surprised at the nature of his jokes. Are we to believe that nobody knew the things he was going to say before he said them? He did not have to submit his lines for approval to anyone before the show? They just handed the whole thing over to him, in full trust?

I don't know....I tend to think most things on tv, including most reality programming, is planned, written and reviewed to the last word.

Ding ding ding! They knew...they knew.

I think "good comedy" is very subjective. I thought a lot of his "jokes" were very mean spirited. He was trying to be edgy but went way too far. I turned it off because I thought he was awful and I don't like alleged humor at the expense of other people.

ETA: I love British humor, some of my favorite shows are old BBC ones like Keeping Up Appearances and Fawlty Towers so it is not that I dislike dry British humor, I just dislike his version.

I did too. I don't know who he is, but I thought his brand of emceeing was seriously lacking. I liked pretty much everthing about the GGs EXCEPT for the host.

Billy Crystal & Jon Stewart have said that they have a basic outline and some lines written & jokes written up. But, a lot of the humor is made up on the cuff, according to what is happening live. So they are constantly revising stuff in the back as the show goes on.

Like the time Billy hosted, and his castmate from that cowboy movie he did, Jack Palance, started doing push ups on stage, Billy then used it as a running joke throughout the evening.

And the GG's are neither a FUNERAL or a baseball game, so not a valid comparison IMO.

My use of the extreme difference between a funeral & a ballgame are called an analogy. I know you know what that is. I'm not going to bicker with you just to bicker. I wasn't meaning to be exact to this situation, I was pointing out there is a difference in situations and a difference in appropriate behavior. I know you also know that difference.

This wasn't a celebrity roast it was an award show honoring and celebrating people.

My use of the extreme difference between a funeral & a ballgame are called an analogy. I know you know what that is. I'm not going to bicker with you just to bicker. I wasn't meaning to be exact to this situation, I was pointing out there is a difference in situations and a difference in appropriate behavior. I know you also know that difference.

This wasn't a celebrity roast it was an award show honoring and celebrating people.

What it was was darn entertaining! Love Gervais.:lmao: the producers knew what they were getting into.

As for Ricky being pulled...I would bet it had a lot to do with the show running time rather than some"gag order". Even the acceptance speeches were chiseled way down. I felt like they were walking up, being handed a trophy and then shown the door.

Did you see the end where he made fun of Sandra bullock and when she came out she did not even smile or smirk. She looked like she was upset.

What it was was darn entertaining!

We definitely agree on that! ::yes:: That's why I love watching these shows. You kind of hope there is unexpected, wacky, live stuff. popcorn:: And as someone else said, the GGs aren't the Oscars. It's more the umm, younger illegitimate half-sibling trying every year to be smooth & polished & appropriate like it's older half-sibling, and missing the mark each year. :upsidedow This time it was Ricky's mouth, being worse than last year. :eek: :blush:

I thought he was hilarious, but it did seem more like a roast than an awards show.

I hope that is last time he asked to host anything. He came off to use as rude and mean spirited. It's on thing to joke around but he made it very personal.

Agreed!!! The thing he did with Tom Hanks and Tim Allen was funny (when he just said "and Tim Allen"). That's about the only thing I enjoyed. I think he's obnoxious and I said that last year as well. The comments about Charlie Sheen and Robert Downey Jr were just plain nasty. Charlie is a hot mess who needs help. RDJ used to be a hot mess who has done a complete turnaround. He doesn't beat around the bush where his issues are concerned. He's very open and willing to talk about it.

Why make fun of it?
I absolutely hate that.

His act reminded me a lot of Chris Rock's performances.

Me too. Except I don't mean it in a good way. That was the absolute worst Oscar telecast ever and I sincerely hope they don't ever make the same mistake again.

Bingo!

I think it's just next day, cover-up spin.

Agreed.

I can't stand him. I don't find humor in making fun of other people's faults, which is why I choose to not watch celebrity roasts. I've enjoyed awards shows since before Ricky Gervais was popular and I hope next year they ditch him for someone classier.

I think that there is a place for the type of "jokes" he gave and an award show is not it. They were there to celebrate the achievement in TV and movies not to "roast" the actors - wrong place for 3/4 of his comments.

I loved the quote by the critic at The Washington Post "We're here to bring you the TV news that emanated from the frosty ballroom of the Beverly Hilton Hotel where Gervais's career died."

That's like saying Ricky's behavior should be exactly the same at a funeral & at a ball game. :rolleyes:

There is something called being appropriate to the situation, while still being one's self. :sad2:

Ricky IS brilliantly talented, and he has the intelligence to know to reign it in with some appropriateness.

This wasn't a celebrity roast, which can also get out of hand - but people know to expect it, it was an award show honoring and celebrating people.

I think Tim Allen summed it up. "Ricky Gervais used to be fat & funny. Now, he is neither."

I think this was a time where the former fat kid had an opportunity to get back and MEANLY poke fun at all those kids on the play ground who made fun of him. Too bad, passive aggressive hostility was misplaced and his targets were his peers supporting him and not those old kids on the playground. :sad2:

It was while he was introducing the head of the Hollywood Foreign Press. He said something to the effect of referring to his age, by needing to be there at the toilet to wipe his butt, get him to a walker & put his teeth in.

We poke fun at ourselves on the Old Fogies thread all the time for getting older. We don't mean spiritedly humiliate another person in front of a thousand peers when they weren't expecting it.

while I agree that different situations require different levels of sarcasm/humor.....I still stand by the fact that they knew exactly what to expect from him given his past performance and comments he made in interviews prior to the Globes!!!! You don't hire Gervais to act like anyone but Gervais. You want to take it down a few notches, you hire someone else.

..and I totally disagree about his career dying. He may not be asked back to the Globes, but plenty of people enjoy his comedy and he isn't going anywhere.

I thought he was hilarious. Hollywood needs to lighten up. My favorite joke that I'm still chuckling about today was about the 2 scientologists. :laughing:

And RDJ? Nice how he called out Gervais, and then went on to detail how he wanted to shag every single woman in the lead actress category. :sad2:

And Gervais knew it was an awards show. It was his second year hosting it. The Hollywood Foreign Press knew what kind of sense of humor their host-of-choice has - again, it was his second year as host, and they invited him back.

while I agree that different situations require different levels of sarcasm/humor.....I still stand by the fact that they knew exactly what to expect from him given his past performance and comments he made in interviews prior to the Globes!!!! You don't hire Gervais to act like anyone but Gervais. You want to take it down a few notches, you hire someone else.

..and I totally disagree about his career dying. He may not be asked back to the Globes, but plenty of people enjoy his comedy and he isn't going anywhere.

I absolutely agree. Ricky Gervais was the only thing even mildly entertaing about that show.

I thought he was hilarious. Hollywood needs to lighten up. My favorite joke that I'm still chuckling about today was about the 2 scientologists. :laughing:

And RDJ? Nice how he called out Gervais, and then went on to detail how he wanted to shag every single woman in the lead actress category. :sad2:

RDJ's comments about the women were in no way mean spirited. It was more "all in good fun" type humor and all of the women were laughing through the whole bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter