Good/Bad Internet and eBay Pin Sellers

I have some questions about scrappers. you can imagine my paranoia considering i have anxiety problems anyways, when i hear that my pins may or may not be fake. the thing is....i'm a fairly new collector and i'm a very limited collector. in other words, i dont collect to trade i collect to keep. I'm mainly buy le series such as the then and now series, white glove series and piece of disney history series to name a few. From what i gather it sounds like the scrapping problem comes mainly in the lanyard and grab bag pins. Do i really have to worry when it comes to the series that i've mentioned or does this whole scrapper thing not really apply to me? Also i keep hearing a couple things i dont understand.....one being..."if it comes in a plastic baggie it's fake." well a handful of trusted sellers ship their pins in small little zipbloc bag things (pin sized) is this the same thing or are you talking about something else completely?
Secondly, people say "if it doesn't have 2 of x or 7 of x or so on on the back then it's fake. I;ve rarely run across an le series that actually lists the number of the run that the pin is. Which ones even have that? I guess there's alot i don't know. I just want someone to help me figure these things out.

On that note, i just discovered this "list' right after purchasing a pin from pin surplus (DOH!) which i'm still waiting on. It's one from the piece of disney history set so i'm not sure if any of those are even scrappers. Does she always sell scrappers or does she sell legit pins too?

and lastly,

i have some names to add to the list i havent seen yet.

yourwdwstore.net-green list
thepinconnection-green list
pinscout203-green

all of these i had great experiences with and have received all legit pins, especially the first two.

that's all thanks.

Don't make fun of me if i said anything stupid.

I cannot imagine anyone making fun of you....
then again.....
just kidding:lmao:
You are correct in saying that most fake pins are the little ones
..the lanyard series...
and..
trading pins.
I am sure there must be crooks...
with other pins...
but..I have not seen any myself...
I have only seen fakes of the flat pins..
not the raised pins with features...
and..I would buy those...
with confidence..
I am sure you may hear horror stories ...:laundy:
as you opened the door for them...
but..in most cases...
you will be fine.
I too...
have never seen a higher end pin...
with the number of the series on the back.

I am brand new to eBay pin buying. I want to fill up my son's lanyard before we go. I tried several of the sellers on the first post but they had nothing up for sale. Could someone please give me the names of some current sellers?

I'm not looking for rare pins, just authentic ones for my son to trade.

I am brand new to eBay pin buying. I want to fill up my son's lanyard before we go. I tried several of the sellers on the first post but they had nothing up for sale. Could someone please give me the names of some current sellers?

You can pm me for names..
but...if you read their feedback...
and...look for ANY comments about fakes or scrappers
and...
you do not buy a large lot...
you should be fine...
buying single pins is probably your best bet....
but.....
whomever you buy from...
should have a shipping cap....
or reasonable fees for combining...
I refuse to pay more than 50 cents extra per pin for shipping...
and...
if I buy 20 pins..and..
all together they weigh less than a pound...
and..I get a 25 buck shipping bill[the average]..
I feel..ripped off.:sad1:
there is no reason for that.
there are sellers that charge no more than 5 bucks or so for shipping....
regardless of how many you get...

I just went through the pinpics.com website and found most of my pins. I recently bought 21 from a seller on ebay. It seems that there are 5 that I either can not find on pin pics (but can on ebay) or that they seem to be missing something... What should I do next?

Here are the ebay links to the pins not on pinpics.com:
Chip & Dale Jungle Cruise
Mine doesn't include: Back of pin is stamped "Adventures by Disney / Path to Pura Vida / Introductory Year 2006 / (c) Disney / China". It is simply stamped Adventures by Disney (c) Disney China.

Sleeping Minnie Angel
I just can not find this one... no matter what I try

Donald Welcome Miners
Another one that I just can not find...

Mickey Yose-Mighty
Another one I can not find...

The last one is Huey, Dewey & Louie with the words Emperors & Mouseketeers on it. Back is stamped "Disney Cruise Line" and "Adventures by Disney" - I can not find it on ebay or google images...

Any help? TIA

Page 1 is full of pin sellers that have legit pins at good prices. While they may not all have pins for sale and while some may charge more this is still our best suggestion for good pin sellers on eBay. Please use the green sellers on page 1. :)

And for the record, EVERY pin I sell on eBay and every pin I carry with me as an extra trader is always stored in a small plastic baggie. It helps to protect from scratches. I get the small plastic baggies at my craft store in the beading area but I was also able to purchase a large supply at a jewelry store that was going out of business. I do not sell scrappers (I'm on the green list lol) but I still ship in small baggies.

And for the record, EVERY pin I sell on eBay and every pin I carry with me as an extra trader is always stored in a small plastic baggie. It helps to protect from scratches. I get the small plastic baggies at my craft store in the beading area but I was also able to purchase a large supply at a jewelry store that was going out of business. I do not sell scrappers (I'm on the green list lol) but I still ship in small baggies.

I believe that they are 2 different kinds of plastic baggies.
the ones that you are talking about..must be the tiny zip lock bags...
good sellers use those..
the scrapper bags...are sealed....
in order to open them..you must rip open the bag.

Yes Deb, I do use the small ziploc style but I have also received scrappers in those baggies as well. I've also received them in the pre sealed bags, and the bags sealed with a small staple.....it just depends on what the seller has or what they come pre packed in I guess...... I just wanted to make sure that people know that small ziploc style bags don't automatically mean scrapper :)

Good point..
I assumed all the fakes were in those sealed bags...
in fact..when I see moms at the parks...opening those bags to trade pins..
you should see the looks that i give them....
in addition to warning the CMs....:lmao:

megatrendusa

Ordered three of the Imagineering badge pins. Paint job seems strange and off on them. Dinmples in pooh's paint. Streaks in the paint on all three badges. I thought they were legit because they did not have any insane lot offerings but looking at some of the wording in the auctions now I see red flags you listed like 100% trade-able. Also there are imperfections on the back that kind of seem like red flags to me. Extra wording for Eeyore that is not on Pooh about how he is a based on the works of AA Milne. Some bubbling in the brass coat on the smooth part of alice's back. Plus another flaw that I am unsure about. I have nothing to compare with however. I did file a report with ebay on these items. I will wait to see what they have to say

megatrendusa

Ordered three of the Imagineering badge pins. Paint job seems strange and off on them. Dinmples in pooh's paint. Streaks in the paint on all three badges. I thought they were legit because they did not have any insane lot offerings but looking at some of the wording in the auctions now I see red flags you listed like 100% trade-able. Also there are imperfections on the back that kind of seem like red flags to me. Extra wording for Eeyore that is not on Pooh about how he is a based on the works of AA Milne. Some bubbling in the brass coat on the smooth part of alice's back. Plus another flaw that I am unsure about. I have nothing to compare with however. I did file a report with ebay on these items. I will wait to see what they have to say

Ok..it sounds like most of them are fake.
Any real Winnie the pooh pins..that i have seen..
all have that "based on the work of Milne on them...
as..all the real star wars pins..have the same blurb about lucas.
Now..the part that most ebayers will not understand is...
Ebay does not give a hoot....
whether or not a seller is selling..fake anything.
They WILL make the seller refund your money..
due to their guarantee..
[which is something they really do honor]..
but..they have shown many times..to not care if a seller is selling garbage or fakes...
as long as the majority...believes that they are real.
Trust me...they may tell you different..
but,I have seen too many garbage sellers...
who have been reported for everything from fake Chanel perfume
...to designer jeans...
stay happily on ebay...
as..the majority of folks..
have no idea..what is fake..and what is not.
so..do not waste your breath....
under the new rules...
every time someone files an ebay case....
whether or not..
you are right..
or..you are wrong...
the seller has a problem.
If they have enough cases filed against them.......
[it takes about 8-10 for a small seller and at least....100..for the bigger ones...]
they go out of business....
NOT negatives....
they really do not count anymore...
just cases.
But, lately....
I have not heard of any instances..where the buyer...
lost a case.:woohoo:

Good point..
I assumed all the fakes were in those sealed bags...
in fact..when I see moms at the parks...opening those bags to trade pins..
you should see the looks that i give them....
in addition to warning the CMs....:lmao:

:) I know I've given looks and I know I've received looks as well, that's why I wanted to mention the baggie points. lol

megatrendusa

Yes they do sound like scrappers, as Deb said all Pooh pins will have the AA Milne blurb on the back and bubbling is not likely to pass QC. Let us know what you hear from eBay please, I've never had to file a claim for pins, if I've questioned them at all the seller has taken them back with no problems.

I checked the seller...
and..I am not sure that i understand what happened...
Did you write the seller asking for a refund?
Did they answer you?
Or..did you just file a claim...or...
not file a claim..
and..just report them.
The seller is pretty new..has all positive feedback...
and..no complaints.
The red flags are the cheap price of the badges...
and..
the fact that they have multiples of the same 300 LE pin.
also...
you can see that they have sold those scrapper lots...
no genuine pin seller can sell you 20 pins shipped for 15 bucks..
Impossible.
So,since I noticed that you have not left any feedback..
how have you dealt with this problem so far?

I purchased some pins from stitchchic916, they were really nice pins and she was a really seller. I would suggest we put her on the green list. :) I purchased 25 pins, they were Magical Musical Moments & 12 months of Magic, all on the backers and well packed. :)

I am sad to report a recent change in my respect for ebay seller "thewill". He's greenlisted now, and in years past I've bid on individual pins from him (usually max bid around $1,50-$2,00 and then shipping is about 50 cents per pin more) but this time the shipping charges seemed a bit higher AND of the 20 or so I won by auction, at least 15 are obvious scrappers, and a couple other may be also. I bid on these to get trading pins before our annual WDW trip....this year I'll be looking elsewhere for our supply.
I did get 40 nice rack pins from 'iloveanimation0' for $1.95 each--lots of duplicates, but all legit.
And most of the 30 pin lot ("choose your lot size") that we got from 'real.cool.stuff' look legit (for $1.60 per pin, good shipping rates)--probably all but 3 or 4 are good pins.

I am sad to report a recent change in my respect for ebay seller "thewill". He's greenlisted now, and in years past I've bid on individual pins from him (usually max bid around $1,50-$2,00 and then shipping is about 50 cents per pin more) but this time the shipping charges seemed a bit higher AND of the 20 or so I won by auction, at least 15 are obvious scrappers, and a couple other may be also. I bid on these to get trading pins before our annual WDW trip....this year I'll be looking elsewhere for our supply.
I did get 40 nice rack pins from 'iloveanimation0' for $1.95 each--lots of duplicates, but all legit.
And most of the 30 pin lot ("choose your lot size") that we got from 'real.cool.stuff' look legit (for $1.60 per pin, good shipping rates)--probably all but 3 or 4 are good pins.

My daughter had a similar experience with thewill just last month. She received 8 individual pins she purchased and all but two were clearly scrappers. She asked for a refund, but thewill would only give a refund if the scrapper pins were returned. My daughter would have to pay the return postage. Since she paid about $4 for the six bad pins, she decided to just throw them away. oh well! Maybe thewill should be moved to a red seller.

My daughter had a similar experience with thewill just last month. She received 8 individual pins she purchased and all but two were clearly scrappers. She asked for a refund, but thewill would only give a refund if the scrapper pins were returned. My daughter would have to pay the return postage. Since she paid about $4 for the six bad pins, she decided to just throw them away. oh well! Maybe thewill should be moved to a red seller.

Oh no!!!! I don't like hearing that one of our trusted sellers has had problems. :( Hopefully the thread owner will come back so he can update the listings for us, but yes, if thewill is selling scrappers now he should be moved at the least to the orange list. :(

pins I got form sleepy emporium are scrappers. I can tell it's the bad pins didn;t pass quality control. They probably got for peanut money from the people work in factory and sell online. It's not fake, but bad quality ones.

Good thing is they can refund.

No..they are fake...
Just so you know....
scrappers ARE considered fakes around here.:)
I once bought from them..and..
will not do so again..
as I do not trust sellers that make their auctions private.
I never buy from anyone that does so.

Hmmmm I haven't purchased from sleepy for a while now but in the past the pins have been great. I wonder what's going on with our favorite sellers lately....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter