Good Neighbor hotels to get 60-day FP booking! Update: AND EMH!

Below $100 isn't a bad deal.

August 2018 rack rate is showing $171 for August!! So if you get 50% off, then it would be an ok rate for the offering. But at $171, not worth it, IMO.

True, but obviously people are paying that rate .. All the Disney hotels "feel" like they are way more expensive than they should be, but the market obviously is paying that price, so its not like they are going to lower them until people stop going to them.

I look at it this way:

The price is "really" $151/night since you would have to pay $20/night for parking if you stayed offsite.
It's even cheaper if you consider the other perks (free Magic bands, bus/boat/monorail transport to the gates of the park), access to food options in your hotel, creative pools (often with hosted activities), etc.

$151/night is not bad for a hotel in a PRIME tourist destination with all the transportation perks that Disney gives (as well as the insanely good customer service).

I am constantly shocked at the prices they charge for your typical Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn Express/Ramada Inn/Comfort Inn, etc. in the middle of nowhere just off the freeway. I've paid over $100-125 just for a quick (less than 12 hours) rest my head on the way to WDW.

It all really depends what you, as a customer, value.

I'll personally say, that it was a lot more vacation-like to wake up .. walk to the food court, get something to eat/drink and just saunter out to a bus to take me to the park rather than try and get everyone in the car (early), drive in traffic, wait in line, pay $20, park, unload, and then walk/tram to the gate.

True, but obviously people are paying that rate .. All the Disney hotels "feel" like they are way more expensive than they should be, but the market obviously is paying that price, so its not like they are going to lower them until people stop going to them.

I look at it this way:

The price is "really" $151/night since you would have to pay $20/night for parking if you stayed offsite.
It's even cheaper if you consider the other perks (free Magic bands, bus/boat/monorail transport to the gates of the park), access to food options in your hotel, creative pools (often with hosted activities), etc.

$151/night is not bad for a hotel in a PRIME tourist destination with all the transportation perks that Disney gives (as well as the insanely good customer service).

I am constantly shocked at the prices they charge for your typical Hampton Inn/Holiday Inn Express/Ramada Inn/Comfort Inn, etc. in the middle of nowhere just off the freeway. I've paid over $100-125 just for a quick (less than 12 hours) rest my head on the way to WDW.

It all really depends what you, as a customer, value.

I'll personally say, that it was a lot more vacation-like to wake up .. walk to the food court, get something to eat/drink and just saunter out to a bus to take me to the park rather than try and get everyone in the car (early), drive in traffic, wait in line, pay $20, park, unload, and then walk/tram to the gate.

It really is a personal preference.

However, two weeks ago, we stayed in a two bedroom villa for $140, 3 miles door to door from Epcot to the resort.

But we have AP's, so parking isn't an issue. And to me, getting everyone up and through a food court during the morning can be a little more stressful sometimes than it should be. Sometimes its easier to grab a muffin/pop tart to eat on the 3 mile "journey".

And we all don't have to fit on two double beds, or 1 queen and a murphy bed...

ETA: For the record, we loved the all stars when we stayed a few years ago. I actually thought they got a bad rap. For under $100, you can't really get whats offered there out of the bubble. But when they start reaching into the $200 territory, I think they've taken it too far.

However, two weeks ago, we stayed in a two bedroom villa for $140, 3 miles door to door from Epcot to the resort.

But we have AP's, so parking isn't an issue. And to me, getting everyone up and through a food court during the morning can be a little more stressful sometimes than it should be. Sometimes its easier to grab a muffin/pop tart to eat on the 3 mile "journey".

ETA: For the record, we loved the all stars when we stayed a few years ago. I actually thought they got a bad rap. For under $100, you can't really get whats offered there out of the bubble. But when they start reaching into the $200 territory, I think they've taken it too far.

Second bathroom. Second bathroom. Second bathroom. Best part of staying off property.

When I take the oldest teen alone the POP is/was our go to as we just needed a shower and place to sleep as would we be in the parks all day. $90-105/nt for buses every 10 minutes was lovely.

I've always wanted to try the Swan for the same thinking, but I just have NEVER been able to find it at price points people talk about on here. $138 sounds like a no-brainer since I've paid that much for Pop before. But I've never seen it under $200 when I've looked. On Priceline, does the S/D show up as one of the hotels they can't tell you the name of until after booking?

*edit* Looking right now directly, it is even more than I had remembered. Over $350 a night for the cheapest rooms. What am I doing wrong?

I will say it depends on what you are comparing. With POR going from $250-$300, AoA at $170, I think $200-$250 is a steal at S/D. That said, it's a bit of a luck game. Next week (30th-2), Dolphin is $202, Swan is $189. Then you have CB/Coronado at $191, and POR at $206.

Second bathroom. Second bathroom. Second bathroom. Best part of staying off property.

When I take the oldest teen alone the POP is/was our go to as we just needed a shower and place to sleep as would we be in the parks all day. $90-105/nt for buses every 10 minutes was lovely.

Yeah, getting ready with 2 bathrooms is definitely a giant plus.

For $90-100, the all stars and POP are an attractive option for what is offered.

$170, give me the 1 br or 2br villas off property all day and night.

I have mixed feelings about this. I always stay at value resorts so I can do multiple trips each year. Value resorts keep my costs down tremendously! When the values are all booked up I will stay offsite at a good neighbor hotel. The two new ones at Flamingo Crossings are really nice! I hope that these will be included. Of course, I also realize that this means fast passes will get eaten up much faster.

It isn't. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with any of the moderates either if I can get a 60 day window at a nicer DS Hotel. I also didn't realize that the Swan and Dolphin already have a 60 Day FP window. I'm not sure how they get anyone to stay at CBR or POP (once the room rates go up) when they can stay at BW DS for less or even the Swan ($236 with taxes, resort fee, and parking when I stayed in September) for around the same price and still get the 60 Day FP Window.

Well, some is for the themeing and also magical express. Also, POR has rooms for 5 people so that might work better than the Swolphin

Honestly, I think a lot of people want to stay at at Disney resort because it is a Disney resort and the feel in the bubble and it just *feels* different than being at a regular hotel - which (for good and for bad) the Swolphin feel slike

sort of related, but last trip we stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and it is a very nice resort but it also has it's own vibe and not everyone there was there *just* for Disney so it didn't feel as in the "Disney bubble" besides being physically within the boundaries of the WDW propery

Below $100 isn't a bad deal.

August 2018 rack rate is showing $171 for August!! So if you get 50% off, then it would be an ok rate for the offering. But at $171, not worth it, IMO.

This past spring I stayed at Pop and got it for $114 ... I utilized ME (so no transportation costs) and at the time they had those extra EMH's for Pandora (so got in an extra ride on FoP, etc.), got a magic band, had the 60 days for FP (and was able to get one for Flight of Passage) ... so to me with using all those perks, it was worth it at $114 ... $171 is a bit much though (albeit they are doing the renovation so these are all (or at least mostly all) "brand new rooms") by August 2018

Oh, I agree, staying at an offsite villa or condo is a MUCH better value (of my 3 trips since 2014, two of them were in villas) than any Disney resorts. Cheaper, more room, ability to have full kitchen, ability to handle a large family (or multiple families). There are plenty within 10-15 minute drive from Disney property.

And that is where this thread comes in. Will taking away the exclusivity of 60-day fast passes from the Disney resorts just drive more people to stay offsite? So why would Disney do this? Will they increase on-site perks or are they just expecting the demand to be there without perks due to all the new lands and attractions?

My hunch is that Disney doesn't think this is as nearly as big of a deal as we think here.
I'd wager they have some metrics to demonstrate just how little the 60 day window is used, despite selling the perk to the good neighbors.

I do wonder just how well utilized this perk is to first time visitors.

Oh, I agree, staying at an offsite villa or condo is a MUCH better value (of my 3 trips since 2014, two of them were in villas) than any Disney resorts. Cheaper, more room, ability to have full kitchen, ability to handle a large family (or multiple families). There are plenty within 10-15 minute drive from Disney property.

And that is where this thread comes in. Will taking away the exclusivity of 60-day fast passes from the Disney resorts just drive more people to stay offsite? So why would Disney do this? Will they increase on-site perks or are they just expecting the demand to be there without perks due to all the new lands and attractions?

I think they are expecting the demand to be there, plus they are converting more and more to DVC anyway.

Who would have dreamed that they could get $500/night for their AoA suites? I bet not even them. And the 60 day FP has to be a really small fraction of the decision makeup for folks paying that money for a value suite.

There's only a handful of rides that are near impossible to get under 60 days. I think that offering up the 60 day window to these other hotels gives them money, and doesn't really affect that pool too much. And it keeps their upsells upsellable.

I think they are expecting the demand to be there, plus they are converting more and more to DVC anyway.

Who would have dreamed that they could get $500/night for their AoA suites? I bet not even them. And the 60 day FP has to be a really small fraction of the decision makeup for folks paying that money for a value suite.

There's only a handful of rides that are near impossible to get under 60 days. I think that offering up the 60 day window to these other hotels gives them money, and doesn't really affect that pool too much. And it keeps their upsells upsellable.

I definitely think you are right that people who post here are much more aware and focused on things like booking FP at 60 days out .... I do think this is a sign that they aren't worried about occupancy at their onsite hotels or they would preserve (and promote) ever single perk that they could

I definitely think you are right that people who post here are much more aware and focused on things like booking FP at 60 days out .... I do think this is a sign that they aren't worried about occupancy at their onsite hotels or they would preserve (and promote) ever single perk that they could
Most people I know that have gone to Disney recently don't make their Fast Passes at the crack of dawn at 60 days out. (whether staying onsite or not). To most people the concept of scheduling what rides you are going to go on.

Agree .. one of my co-workers went to Disney a few weeks ago (Sept) .. and didn't make Fast passes until like the day of (despite me telling him he could make them ealier). They were just planning on a flexible vacation and just decided which park to hit the morning of. Talking with him afterwards ... it worked out fine. He said that they didn't even bother with them on some days, because lines were relatively short.

So like EMH, it is a perk us "go every year" veterans have learned to maximize and take advantage of, but for your average guest, the perk is just staying AT a "Disney" resort.

I did the Priceline "express deal" thing. With a lot of research, I was 99.9% sure it was going to be the Swan or Dolphin, then, I had a 10% off coupon that Priceline routinely emails.

Would you mind sharing what parameters you used and how you determined that?

I'm curious how this will work logistically. How will your MDE account know you are at a good neighbor hotel? How does it work for Swan/Dolphin?

We are here now doing our first off site stay. Having two bedrooms and two bathrooms and a full kitchen has been very nice. Getting to AK and HS has been easier than when we stay at Poly. But, of course, MK was harder.

This will definitely tip my hat to more off site stays, assuming these hotels don't jack up their rates!!!

I'm curious how this will work logistically. How will your MDE account know you are at a good neighbor hotel? How does it work for Swan/Dolphin?

We are here now doing our first off site stay. Having two bedrooms and two bathrooms and a full kitchen has been very nice. Getting to AK and HS has been easier than when we stay at Poly. But, of course, MK was harder.

This will definitely tip my hat to more off site stays, assuming these hotels don't jack up their rates!!!
At swan/dolphin you link your reservation number through MDE, and it shows up in your plans just like the onsite properties.

I assume the same will be true for these other hotels as well.

Would you mind sharing what parameters you used and how you determined that?
The key for me was the bonnet creek area and the hotel fee. A lot of hotels in the area charge a slightly different hotel fee and that was the key to knowing it was the swan or dolphin.

When I go to Disney, I want to stay on site. That has nothing to do with when I can book my fast passes. This won't change anything with me

You're paying to feel like you are in the magic your whole vacation. The fast pass window was just a bonus, but not a deal breaker by any means.

A Disney hotel is still a Disney hotel. I've stayed off site at some very nice places that have much bigger rooms than Disney, but once I stayed on site, I'd never not do it again

I was thinking the other day that with all their extra land, Disney ought to build a couple small communities on-site. They could rent the houses out to larger groups and you would still get the proximity and perks, while having the advantages of a house. Heck, they could even sell them. I would certainly buy one if I had the money (I don't).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter