Good reason to (re)merge youtube channels?

jbock

Mouseketeer
Craig referenced the possible mistake of splitting apart all the the dis channels, and it made me think, "I should go to the boards and post something about it that they won't read and won't do anything to change the situation." Clearly I'm full of good ideas!

I thought the splitting of channels was a puzzling business choice. Maybe people complained about not wanting to hear about X when they only care about Y. Maybe I'm alone, but I like the crew and am happy enough to listen to related subjects even if they're not something I plan on doing.... I'm not moving to Florida, nor am I going on a cruise, but I don't mind hearing about them. If I did mind, I would just not tap on the video when it shows up in my feed. So... let's call me the worst case scenario. I watch a video about a cruise. I don't book a cruise w/ dreams unlimited, I don't tell someone else to, etc. There's still some extra revenue for the channel.

Better case (someone else) they came across the channel - I don't know, looking up a restaurant review. Suddenly they see a few compelling DVC videos.. they already were on the edge and say "ok, I'm in - now that I know I can save a bit w/ resale."

I know that may seem far-fetched but since there is absolutely 0 cost or effort involved with keeping all the videos under one place (less effort I'd imagine?) wouldn't it be worth a shot? I now miss videos sometimes even though I'm subscribed to all 6 or 8 or however many channels there are. Also, wouldn't there be fewer subscribers per channel now? Isn't that bad?

Or, do I have it all wrong and splitting reduces a problem with engagement. User X subscribes to The Dis [old version with everything] and always skips DCL videos, user Y does the same but ONLY watches UO videos... so the engagement seems lower and hurts the channel? (I clearly know very little about YT monetization...)

Or, do I have it all wrong and splitting reduces a problem with engagement. User X subscribes to The Dis [old version with everything] and always skips DCL videos, user Y does the same but ONLY watches UO videos... so the engagement seems lower and hurts the channel? (I clearly know very little about YT monetization...)
This is exactly the problem and why splitting stuff makes sense. Youtube prioritizes videos based on how often you engage with that channel. If someone skips 1/2 the videos, that channel gets recommended less frequently to that user.

This is exactly the problem and why splitting stuff makes sense. Youtube prioritizes videos based on how often you engage with that channel. If someone skips 1/2 the videos, that channel gets recommended less frequently to that user.

exactly this. From a business point of view, splitting the channels means a more positive relationship with YouTube. A channel is more likely to grow if the content is aimed at a specific person. I don't subscribe to channels which don't have a clear content approach. If a channel is jumping around all sorts of topics, with no cohesion or consistency, I will just watch the particular video that interests me but I wont subscribe or Like the video. For a business, channel watch times, channel subscribers and video likes are how they will make money on YouTube.

For the small YouTube channels or channels not connected to a business, or for those who are just making videos as they like making videos and its just a hobby, it does not matter if they have all sorts of random videos.

The whole point of the YouTube Channels is as marketing tool for Dreams Unlimited. They are not just doing videos for the fun of it. Part of marketing is to segment different types of customers and create content for each specific target customer. Thats what Pete has done by creating all the different channels.

i figured it was to multiply one's own audience. if the name of the YT game is getting subscriptions and likes, and DIS has 150k+ subscribers, why not try and create multiple channels for those 150,000 people to browse and subscribe to

I understand the reasons as described by others here but I've found that I watch fewer shows since the split. I chose to not subscribe to the multiple channels for different reasons but the main reason is that multiple channels from the same creator (essentially) clutters my feed. The desired effect of a bunch of content from one source in my face is exactly what I do *not* want. It's like having multiple icons on my desktop when I'd rather have a cleaner look of a single folder with everything neatly organized within.

Speaking of folders, the main channel's Playlist section is due to be cleaned up. There are a ton of random lists that could be consolidated. For example, there are separate lists for 2018 Disneyland Halloween and Holidays.

Can't imagine complaining about the organization of thousands of hours of free content on the internet. Sorry that there's like ... a LITTLE more effort involved to find it?

Can't imagine complaining about the organization of thousands of hours of free content on the internet. Sorry that there's like ... a LITTLE more effort involved to find it?

Apology accepted! 😄

It's just feedback. Apparently there's been questioning about decisions so feedback from all sides is hopefully helpful. I mean, here we are taking time in our days on a forum for the channel so we obviously all want the channels to be successful because we love both the content and the whole team.

I much prefer all the content on one channel. There are extra steps to browse content for each channel, and that becomes a barrier to watching. I don't subscribe or like any channels on YouTube (mainly because I'm annoyed at all vloggers - including the DIS - telling me to like, subscribe, etc.).

If they are going to keep things split, I prefer if the top row of videos when I watch on YouTube through Roku is "Latest Uploads" so I can quickly see if there are any new videos. Not all of them - i.e., Moving to Orlando is one that has "Popular Uploads" in the first row - do that.

I assumed the split was to artificially (don’t mean that in a bad way, just can’t come up with a better word) increase the total number of subscribers. A single channel that encompasses, let’s say, 6 topics will have “X” number of subscribers. If I am interested in 4 of the 6 topics, I’m still only 1 subscriber. When the topics are split into separate channels, I’ll most likely still be interested in the same 4 topics I was before, so I’ll presumably subscribe to those 4, newly separated channels. Before I was 1 subscriber. After the separation, I’m now 4 subscribers. Or maybe I’m totally misunderstanding how this whole YT thing works.

I assumed the split was to artificially (don’t mean that in a bad way, just can’t come up with a better word) increase the total number of subscribers. A single channel that encompasses, let’s say, 6 topics will have “X” number of subscribers. If I am interested in 4 of the 6 topics, I’m still only 1 subscriber. When the topics are split into separate channels, I’ll most likely still be interested in the same 4 topics I was before, so I’ll presumably subscribe to those 4, newly separated channels. Before I was 1 subscriber. After the separation, I’m now 4 subscribers. Or maybe I’m totally misunderstanding how this whole YT thing works.

This is exactly what I assumed.
I am still trying to figure out why all the FB groups when we have an entire message board for ourselves with every possible forum right here.

I didn’t get the impression they were going to reverse course on the YT separation. However, I think the audience’s interest and opinions of Disney changed because of well, everything. I think a survey asking for honest feedback might help.

That debacle that was Coffee Talk should be a huge red flag things are off the tracks and it’s time to re-evaluate.

I am still trying to figure out why all the FB groups when we have an entire message board for ourselves with every possible forum right here.

Again its part of marketing, you use the channels that your customers use. The people who use the Facebook groups Pete has set up most likely are not members of Disboards, but they are Dreams Unlimited customers. Also forums are really an out of date format. Sure Disboards is active, but thats most likely due to the huge number of members who started using the internet when forums the big thing, not social media.

You have to look at it from a business point of view and again with the Facebook groups, they are segmented into the specific area of interest.

Using Facebook groups as part of marketing for a business is something thats recommended by marketing professionals. No one recommends using forums for marketing purposes any more.

Again its part of marketing, you use the channels that your customers use. The people who use the Facebook groups Pete has set up most likely are not members of Disboards, but they are Dreams Unlimited customers. Also forums are really an out of date format. Sure Disboards is active, but thats most likely due to the huge number of members who started using the internet when forums the big thing, not social media.

You have to look at it from a business point of view and again with the Facebook groups, they are segmented into the specific area of interest.

Using Facebook groups as part of marketing for a business is something thats recommended by marketing professionals. No one recommends using forums for marketing purposes any more.

Lol. Tell me I am old, without telling me I am old. :rotfl2:

Lol. Tell me I am old, without telling me I am old. :rotfl2:

sorry, lol, this is what I do in my day job, I manage social media and online marketing for small businesses. Its my job to keep up with all of this and advise my clients. Marketing these days is all about people using social media and websites on their phones. What Pete is doing, with the YouTube channels and the Facebook groups is just standard these days for a business.

And just so you don't feel bad, I first starting using the internet and joined message boards back in 1999, long before social media and even Google existed :)

I didn’t get the impression they were going to reverse course on the YT separation. However, I think the audience’s interest and opinions of Disney changed because of well, everything. I think a survey asking for honest feedback might help.

That debacle that was Coffee Talk should be a huge red flag things are off the tracks and it’s time to re-evaluate.
What was the Coffee Talk debacle?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter