Goodbye Wishes! Hello Happily Ever After!

Now that I had a moment to reflect......

For a long time I've thought Disney was growing more out of touch with the current generations going (and why I think it's time for many classics to be retired and replaced..).

Sitting down with my daughter, this is HER Disney. Everything she connected with and grew up on and things she wanted to rewatch, remembers seeing in theaters with me. It's a celebration of that generations disney and as she put it, their turning point to live happily ever after.... I call it the DVD generation. She doesn't remember disney not being on the shelves to rent and how they really limited released their movies..

It's great to see the place getting updated in a way that means something. Amazing to see frozen wasn't "let it go" and olafs turning point.... I think it's a great addition to the most disney park... Doesn't really overlap anything else available on property...

Bravo..

I agree with this 100%, and it's something I actually specifically came to this thread to mention. I have heard people complaining about the lack of 'Disney classics' included in the show. Besides from the fact that there are some of such movies included (Peter Pan and Jungle Book, off the top of my head), I think it's almost time to re-evaluate what 'classic' means to guests of Disney parks. For long-time, older fans, the 'classics' are the pre-1970s, Walt-era Disney films. These movies are often true pieces of art that should obviously be appreciated. However, it's 2017. The beginning of the Renaissance-era films was nearly 30 years ago (Little Mermaid, 1989). And, to the majority of Disney fans born after 1985, these are the new Disney 'classics' that they grew up on.

I watched one of the live feeds. I'm stunned that for the show at the Magic Kingdom, there is NO Mickey Mouse (or Minnie, Donald, or Goofy either).

I agree! As a person who was in this time (I remember Blockbuster and Hollywood video and such) I see what you are saying, this is the Disney I really resonate with. This show made me cry when I watched it today because it really resonates with me and what I grew up with and the character choice was spot on for me. BUT to be fair I cry during literally every Disney show so I mean hold that with a grain of salt. I also must add, THANK YOU DISNEY THAT THE FROZEN SONG WAS NOT LET IT GO.

Part of me was glad it wasn't Let It Go, but part of me was like "Did you guys really just start off the 'true love' portion of the show with Love Is An Open Door??? The song Anna sings with HANS?"

I watched one of the live feeds. I'm stunned that for the show at the Magic Kingdom, there is NO Mickey Mouse (or Minnie, Donald, or Goofy either).

Eh, I don't think you need them in every show. After all, they have their own show at Magic Kingdom during the day, Mickey is the focus of Fantasmic, and even Wishes I can't recall having any specific references to Mickey or the rest of them.

I definitely get that...something about the little girl singing in Wishes, the single light go across the sky, and Jimminy Cricket doing the narration definitely made me tear up every time too!

I think part of it is also just the timing - I always imagined watching Wishes with my own kids someday (especially when my husband and I were there on our honeymoon!), since it's one of my favorite things to do at Disney. Now we're finally planning that trip and it's a different show! Of course, my kids will surely like the new show better anyways and the timing will always be like that for someone, I'm just being silly and nostalgic.

Part of me was glad it wasn't Let It Go, but part of me was like "Did you guys really just start off the 'true love' portion of the show with Love Is An Open Door??? The song Anna sings with HANS?"
I see what your saying, but Pentatonix kills that song so I am totally okay with it

While I never got to experience Wishes, I'm very content with the result of Happily Ever After. I saw the Disney live streaming and tought it was very low on fireworks, but I saw some other videos and was glad to see I was wrong.

It premiered right on my birthday and I shall cherish it forever - or while it lasts. Hope to see it when I can come to Disney.

Took forever to process and youtube killed the quality but if interested, this is the 360 I got. not the best quality but it is the best 360 version out there..

scroll around and look at the hub when watching, you'll see how the trees join in the look and feel. :)

it was also the perfect spot for 360 if disney didn't put a camera guy blocking part of the lower towers on the right at the last minute.

It isn't showing up 360 for me. Also castle is tiny and everyone is staring in wrong direction. What am I doing wrong?

Now that I had a moment to reflect......

For a long time I've thought Disney was growing more out of touch with the current generations going (and why I think it's time for many classics to be retired and replaced..).

Sitting down with my daughter, this is HER Disney. Everything she connected with and grew up on and things she wanted to rewatch, remembers seeing in theaters with me. It's a celebration of that generations disney and as she put it, their turning point to live happily ever after.... I call it the DVD generation. She doesn't remember disney not being on the shelves to rent and how they really limited released their movies..

It's great to see the place getting updated in a way that means something. Amazing to see frozen wasn't "let it go" and olafs turning point.... I think it's a great addition to the most disney park... Doesn't really overlap anything else available on property...

Bravo..

I also found it interesting to see which parts the crowds were most excited for. I think Tink was #1 but a close #1 was Moana- that was probably the song I heard the most sing-a-long to. Now, maybe just because it is new but I also think that could be the next "classic" song they have on their hands that will still be very popular 20 years from now

Side note, it felt like the songs where they didn't use the original versions got a lot less love

I can see where you are coming from, but I feel like I saw the transitions. They weren't narrated, but it was different types of Happily Ever Afters...love, adventure, friendship, overcoming adversity, being a hero, etc. so happily ever after means something different to everyone...whatever your happily ever after is, you are the key to achieving it...reach out and find your own happily ever after

I think when you know the storyline it is very clear when watching - but if you went to watch it with zero background I can understand being a bit confused or not understanding the storyline

I agree with this 100%, and it's something I actually specifically came to this thread to mention. I have heard people complaining about the lack of 'Disney classics' included in the show. Besides from the fact that there are some of such movies included (Peter Pan and Jungle Book, off the top of my head), I think it's almost time to re-evaluate what 'classic' means to guests of Disney parks. For long-time, older fans, the 'classics' are the pre-1970s, Walt-era Disney films. These movies are often true pieces of art that should obviously be appreciated. However, it's 2017. The beginning of the Renaissance-era films was nearly 30 years ago (Little Mermaid, 1989). And, to the majority of Disney fans born after 1985, these are the new Disney 'classics' that they grew up on.

i thought about that a lot too - and I also feel that if you think of the songs from a lot of the old-school classics, they don't really fit the message of this show.

This show is all about knowing what your dreams are and then it is up to you to go out and pursue it.

Do songs like "one day my prince will come" or even "when you wish upon a star" really go along with that?

And there plenty of nods to the older characters in the ending "stained glass" scene (Cinderella, Pinocchio, etc.)

i thought about that a lot too - and I also feel that if you think of the songs from a lot of the old-school classics, they don't really fit the message of this show.

This show is all about knowing what your dreams are and then it is up to you to go out and pursue it.

Do songs like "one day my prince will come" or even "when you wish upon a star" really go along with that?

And there plenty of nods to the older characters in the ending "stained glass" scene (Cinderella, Pinocchio, etc.)
Also, the two songs you mentioned above don't really have the right tempo for the fast-paced nature of HEA's soundtrack. I don't think it'd sound right...

I don't think there is anything wrong with not including the old-school classics, as you say the show does have a nod to them in the ending scene. And at the end of the day, Disney has to design their entertainment around the guests of today. Most children will have probably seen films such as Moana and Frozen, but may not necessarily be as familiar with some of the classics.

It isn't showing up 360 for me. Also castle is tiny and everyone is staring in wrong direction. What am I doing wrong?
To view YouTube videos in 360 you need to be watching from a desktop web browser or the YouTube mobile app. It will not work with embedded media or through the YouTube webpage on mobile.

For those that are more firework purists, here is the only video of behind the castle.. in 360 so be prepared to scroll around a lot. They go so high!! it's just as great of a show..

Side note: this is saturdays performance. It had rained and humidity went from 34% to 88% by the time this started and the wind was not moving. get ready for some smoke...

I also found it interesting to see which parts the crowds were most excited for. I think Tink was #1 but a close #1 was Moana- that was probably the song I heard the most sing-a-long to. Now, maybe just because it is new but I also think that could be the next "classic" song they have on their hands that will still be very popular 20 years from now

Side note, it felt like the songs where they didn't use the original versions got a lot less love
I love the Moana soundtrack. Lin Manuel Miranda is a genius, and I hope to see his continued involvement with Disney in the future.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter