Goodbye Wishes! Hello Happily Ever After!

I was also thinking it would be new types of fireworks which are more impactful / bigger "wow" per the burst ... so more efficient

So like, perhaps giving 90% of the total effect from 70% of the actual bursts ... then get an extra 20% boost form the projections and now you have a show that overall is "bigger/better" for slightly lower cost

Oh boy...I got some swampland to sell you, Max...

I love Wishes! So much so that I'm trying to figure out how to get a quick trip in before it is gone that won't cost me $1000.

Sorry to see Wishes go, but I agree it may be time for something new. I just wish more notice had been given, I can't swing a trip to see WISHES one last time on such short notice. Now, if they would only bring back or add a nighttime parade to the mix...

It is impossible to enjoy projections when you are short, and for children too. It's one of the reasons I hated Jingle Bell Jingle BAM (Craig voice).
There's a reason why fireworks are ABOVE your head...or over a large unoccupied space...like perhaps the lagoon in Epcot?
Projections are cheaper...can't put a price on "magic", no?

fully agree - UNLESS they do like they did in Disneyland and have projections on buildings other than the Castle to spread out the crowds

Well all righty then. My head is spinning with all the new news. I'm open to a new show but I dislike the mostly laser shows so my fingers are crossed that they don't go too far on that. Short folks have problems seeing the projections and if by chance you get a good spot where someone can't get in front of you then a darned ole tree will be there. I've tried the Star Wars show twice at HS, getting there good and early to get a good spot (even had a CM move me to the perfect spot) only to have some tall man saunter up about 2 min. before the show and squeeze right in front of me. For FWs that isn't that big of an issue but for projections, forget it. .

I agree - I LOVE projections - but it makes getting a good view so difficult.

In Disneyland Forever, they did projections down the entire length of Main St. It was incredible! Everywhere you turned there was something amazing to look at - I remember there was a giant debate over where to stand as there were so many good spots.

I don't know what Once Upon A Time is like - but for Celebrate the Magic, I tried a couple of different spots (Main St was terrible, btw) and its more than worth it for me to stake out my spot in the Hub. I prefer Wishes from the hub, but have also viewed it from outside MK and its still beautiful.

Because I guess my family love it and everyone Disney replaces something these days it appears less special than what it replaced.

Open mind and all that so let's see, it could be great.

I really hope they don't reduce fireworks too much. To me things like fireworks, night time parade etc is the plus Disney has over other parks. And they seem to be eroding that over time. Which to me is a problem, because they are removing differentiator

The timing is a tough one for us. The new show starts the night we arrive in May. For us, Wishes is special because I proposed to my wife on the Poly beach during Wishes. We had a brief discussion today about trying to head down a day or two earlier so we can see it one last time. Not sure what we will decide.

I agree - I LOVE projections - but it makes getting a good view so difficult.

In Disneyland Forever, they did projections down the entire length of Main St. It was incredible! Everywhere you turned there was something amazing to look at - I remember there was a giant debate over where to stand as there were so many good spots.

I don't know what Once Upon A Time is like - but for Celebrate the Magic, I tried a couple of different spots (Main St was terrible, btw) and its more than worth it for me to stake out my spot in the Hub. I prefer Wishes from the hub, but have also viewed it from outside MK and its still beautiful.

I just saw Once Upon a Time last week - aside from the fact that to me it wasn't nearly as touching as Celebrate the Magic was...I also found MANY of the projections were LOW on the castle... This was so frustrating because we could see 80% of the castle and yet they chose to put Mrs. Potts and Chip and other stuff at the very bottom where we couldn't see it from our perspective. It seemed very stupid to me to do it that way. If they'd have just projected 10 feet higher we'd have seen everything.

As much as I love Wishes, I can't say I'm surprised it's being retired for something new. I am somewhat surprised that it's this year rather than in honor of the 50th. Though perhaps "Happily" is a stopgap between now and the 50th.

I just saw Once Upon a Time last week - aside from the fact that to me it wasn't nearly as touching as Celebrate the Magic was...I also found MANY of the projections were LOW on the castle... This was so frustrating because we could see 80% of the castle and yet they chose to put Mrs. Potts and Chip and other stuff at the very bottom where we couldn't see it from our perspective. It seemed very stupid to me to do it that way. If they'd have just projected 10 feet higher we'd have seen everything.

That sucks - and I already thought CTM had ridiculously low projections. Its beautiful - but hard when only a small amount of people actually get to experience how amazing it is.

Oh well - it will be staking out a spot on the Hub at least 1-2 hours beforehand for us as per usual then. Good thing my DH is super chilled about holding a spot while the rest of us do more attractions.

Everyone is different, but I just can't imagine staking out a spot for 1+ hours for fireworks. I'd much rather be experiencing the park, and maybe find an opportunistic spot to view the show as it starts. I enjoy fireworks and shows as much as the next person, but you wait in line enough at the place.
Maybe after the kidlet is old enough where my wife and I can see the parks on our own, it might be nice to sit and wait, while we snack on something. However, as people crowd around for the good spots, that would make me more uncomfortable. My 7 year old (at the time of the last visit), got about 12 consecutive rides on the barnstormer during one fireworks show, and that is going through the full ride queue each time....dropping off one parent and picking up the other.
I'm the same way with the parades. Great to watch if you happen across it, otherwise it just means fewer people waiting in line.

I know the some have emotional attachment to the show, so for them I'm sorry it's changing. However, we always bash on the parks for not changing stuff up, and here they are finally doing something.

It would be nice, if it's computerized launching, to alternate shows and rotate things through, if that is feasible. I'd imagine the typical vacationer spends 5+ days at the parks, and likely of any park to be hit twice in a given vacation, odds are it's MK. It would be nice to more than one show.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter