Goofy 2015

Hey all. I've been running for eight months and have 4 5ks, a 10k, and a 15k under my belt and I'm training for my first half marathon in May. Just three days ago, while evaluating my winter training plan for that half marathon, I decided that in spite of fear and a previous lack of interest in doing one, I was definitely going to do a marathon before I turned 30 (in July '16), and I was going to do it at WDW.

I'm down for at least the Marathon in 2015, but I'm not sure if I'll do Goofy. I have to see how my body tolerates the halfy in May (and at a second halfy I'm seriously considering on Labor Day.)

I'm just worried that if you wait too long like Labor Day to decide if you are going to do any other Disney races besides the marathon that weekend, it will be full. I was only going to do the marathon, then found out it will be the 10th anniversary of the Goofy so I changed my mind to do the 3 races. Then I realized that the 10k on Friday will go right by my hotel so my DH can cheer me on there. Anyway, what's one more race, right? :crazy2:

I'm just worried that if you wait too long like Labor Day to decide if you are going to do any other Disney races besides the marathon that weekend, it will be full. I was only going to do the marathon, then found out it will be the 10th anniversary of the Goofy so I changed my mind to do the 3 races. Then I realized that the 10k on Friday will go right by my hotel so my DH can cheer me on there. Anyway, what's one more race, right? :crazy2:

Thanks, that's a good point. I fail at communication. I meant that I would decide in mid-May, after I completed my first half marathon, whether or not I would do Goofy. (The second halfy on Labor Day would serve as a performance barometer.) But I'm wondering if someone as inexperienced as I am could physically do it. I'm new to running. I started in May and I have a few races under my belt (the longest being a 15k), and I don't have any injuries/health issues, but athletic stuff has never come easy for me. I'm shocked I made it this far. That 15k kinda kicked my rear end. I resumed my training this afternoon by running a 5k at the gym. Is 54 weeks enough time for me to train for Goofy? And while I'm at it, heck, is 54 weeks enough to do Dopey?? This is probably the last time the husband and I will be able to go to WDW before grad school gets extra complicated/careers get in the way/we have kids, and I'm wondering if I'll spend the last half of my vacation in a wheelchair!

I definitely want to do Goofy in 2015 for the anniversary medal. I'm trying to decide if I want to go all out for the Dopey medal. This may be my one and only time I go for it.

I want to do this it is on my run bucket list. Next year would be prime, but I wont be able to decide until late march/early april at the soonest due to health issues. I am about to run tink and glass slipper despite this (running right now for me is like swords with every step :/) but it wont be for time and they will be my last races for a while until things are in a better place. I will continue to run though just no strict schedule for a while.

Does anyone know when the race billets go up for sale?

I want to do this it is on my run bucket list. Next year would be prime, but I wont be able to decide until late march/early april at the soonest due to health issues. I am about to run tink and glass slipper despite this (running right now for me is like swords with every step :/) but it wont be for time and they will be my last races for a while until things are in a better place. I will continue to run though just no strict schedule for a while.

Does anyone know when the race billets go up for sale?

Registration opens on April 22. Opens to AP/DVC the week before. :)

Make sure to watch the runDisney Facebook page or runDisney.com, they'll update how full the races are once capacity hits 50%. You'll really want to pull the trigger when it gets to 90% and above. I think Goofy may sell out quicker this year because it's an anniversary year. Best wishes with your health issues! :goodvibes

Subbing since this is on my radar... Definitely trying to plan a trip for marathon weekend, still thinking about which race(s).
I just did PHM (my first half!) I am running another 13.1 in May local, and the Disneyland half over Labor Day weekend. Started running late may/early June last year... I'm scared to make the leap not only to marathon but goofy!! The lure of a special anniversary medal is tempting though.. Especially since I don't like the Donald much, the Mickey and goofy bling would make up for it ;)

I'm trying to decide if in can take in Goofy in 2015. I finished the marathon 2014 and now my daughter is tempting me to go goofy saying she'd run the 1/2 wit me. Dopey is out of the question. I can't get that much time off.

I can't figure out how to phrase this question without it sounding really stupid, but I'll try anyway!

I am like 90% sure I want to try for Goofy in 2015, but I am considering going all the way for Dopey. I figure A) I want to do the 5k and at that point it seems silly not to just do all 4, and B) who knows how many other opportunities I will have to try it?

So, my question is this: If I skip either the 5k or 10k because I realize I am not in good enough shape to do 4 races in a row, does that mess up my chances for a Goofy medal? Can I still show up on Saturday/Sunday with a Dopey bib, complete the races, get my wrist bands, and get the appropriate medal?

I can't figure out how to phrase this question without it sounding really stupid, but I'll try anyway!

I am like 90% sure I want to try for Goofy in 2015, but I am considering going all the way for Dopey. I figure A) I want to do the 5k and at that point it seems silly not to just do all 4, and B) who knows how many other opportunities I will have to try it?

So, my question is this: If I skip either the 5k or 10k because I realize I am not in good enough shape to do 4 races in a row, does that mess up my chances for a Goofy medal? Can I still show up on Saturday/Sunday with a Dopey bib, complete the races, get my wrist bands, and get the appropriate medal?

Yes, you can do that.

If I skip either the 5k or 10k because I realize I am not in good enough shape to do 4 races in a row, does that mess up my chances for a Goofy medal? Can I still show up on Saturday/Sunday with a Dopey bib, complete the races, get my wrist bands, and get the appropriate medal?

My thinking on it, and what I've heard from others who have done it, is that the 5k and 10k aren't so much a physical challenge if you're in shape for Goofy already (especially if you take them easy) -- they're more a challenge for having to get up so early four days in a row instead of just two. :thumbsup2

My thinking on it, and what I've heard from others who have done it, is that the 5k and 10k aren't so much a physical challenge if you're in shape for Goofy already (especially if you take them easy) -- they're more a challenge for having to get up so early four days in a row instead of just two. :thumbsup2

That's basically my thought as well. I am a little more worried that I won't force myself to take it easy those days after the races and I'll just be exhausted come Sunday. I see this going 2 ways:

1) I sign up for Dopey and end up tiring myself out so much during the first few days that I can't finish the full, missing out on the Goofy and Dopey medals

2) Only signing up for Goofy and feeling like I definitely could have run more that weekend and regretting the decision.

Why do I feel like this is such a huge life decision?? :rotfl2:

I'm in for the Dopey! I didn't realize that it was a Goofy anniversary year! That makes it even more exciting! :banana: I can't wait to see the medal!!!

That's basically my thought as well. I am a little more worried that I won't force myself to take it easy those days after the races and I'll just be exhausted come Sunday. I see this going 2 ways:

1) I sign up for Dopey and end up tiring myself out so much during the first few days that I can't finish the full, missing out on the Goofy and Dopey medals

2) Only signing up for Goofy and feeling like I definitely could have run more that weekend and regretting the decision.

Why do I feel like this is such a huge life decision?? :rotfl2:

If you've never done a full before, I would recommend NOT doing Dopey as your first. I know plenty of people who did, and as my 4th marathon, I was a LOT happier than they were on Sunday.

:

If you are tired after doing a 5k and a 10k then you didn't train hard enough. Now if you do those and then you walk around the parks all day the rest of the days then you might can make a case.

Just take it easy Thur - Sat and you will be fine. Just stop and do pictures the first 3 days and you will have plenty left on Sunday.

Best reason for not doing Dopey if you need one is the extra money and having to waste 2 more days on the front end of your trip. Also, Disney doesn't really go all out on this 5k and 10k like they do at the other race weekends.

That's my reason for not doing it again this year. I will stick with Goofy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter