Got a question on prescriptions.....

maslex

DIS Veteran
So last week I had a filling done on one of my teeth. Unfortunately it was almost down to the nerve and since it was on a Friday, the dentist prescribed me an antibiotic "just in case" I had any problems with it over the weekend or at night and couldn't get ahold of the dentist during off hours. So I went and filled it, just to have in case I had any problems. It's been sitting on my table ever since, luckily I haven't had any issues with it.

Fast forward to yesterday......I went to go see my general dr because I have this persistent cough that just won't go away. He said I had a bug and prescribed me some penicillan (sp). So I stop by CVS, had it filled, came home, took one and put the bottle next to my other meds. So this morning, I go to take one of my penicillans and noticed that I have an extra pill bottle sitting next to it. (I had forgot about the one from the dentist last week) I took a closer look at it and notice that it was actually the same script that I got from my doctor yesterday. Same amount of pills, same dosage, same amount of milligrams, etc. So here's my question.......when I went to fill my script from the dentist the other day, it cost me $3.38. Yesterday when I filled it from my doctor, (THE SAME PRESCRIPTION MIND YOU) It cost $13.33. I didn't realize it until this morning while I was reading both of my bottles, that they were the same exact script and that I paid a $10 difference. Does anyone know why there was such a difference? I'm so confused. LOL

Are they the same brand/manufacturer (generic or otherwise). Some generics cost less than others.

Sometimes the no insurance price is cheaper then the insurance price. I make a point of asking if the prescription is cheaper without filing with the insurance company.

So last week I had a filling done on one of my teeth. Unfortunately it was almost down to the nerve and since it was on a Friday, the dentist prescribed me an antibiotic "just in case" I had any problems with it over the weekend or at night and couldn't get ahold of the dentist during off hours. So I went and filled it, just to have in case I had any problems. It's been sitting on my table ever since, luckily I haven't had any issues with it.

Fast forward to yesterday......I went to go see my general dr because I have this persistent cough that just won't go away. He said I had a bug and prescribed me some penicillan (sp). So I stop by CVS, had it filled, came home, took one and put the bottle next to my other meds. So this morning, I go to take one of my penicillans and noticed that I have an extra pill bottle sitting next to it. (I had forgot about the one from the dentist last week) I took a closer look at it and notice that it was actually the same script that I got from my doctor yesterday. Same amount of pills, same dosage, same amount of milligrams, etc. So here's my question.......when I went to fill my script from the dentist the other day, it cost me $3.38. Yesterday when I filled it from my doctor, (THE SAME PRESCRIPTION MIND YOU) It cost $13.33. I didn't realize it until this morning while I was reading both of my bottles, that they were the same exact script and that I paid a $10 difference. Does anyone know why there was such a difference? I'm so confused. LOL
you don't need anitbiotics for a cold, so I would not get or take it.

If I had to guess, I’d say that one pharmacy has a higher filling fee than the other one.

Was it the same pharmacy? My MIL called me last night to see if I could pick up a prescription for her at Costco. She took the prescription to the local CVS, and their cost was $80. She called Costco, and THEIR price was $29. Guess where she wants it filled? Same exact prescription (obviously). Different pharmacies charge wildly different prices for the same thing.

Do you have the same insurance for Dental and Medical? I don't and never have. Both are plans sponsored through work, but separate insurance companies/vendors.

I would venture to guess that one was called in by the dentist that was governed by dental insurance and one came through as regular medical.

My first thought would be different insurances. Were they both run through your MEDICAL insurance or was the script from the dentist run through your DENTAL insurance.

Maybe it was too soon after the first was filled. If it was supposed to last 10 days and you filled the other 7 days later, the insurance might feel it wasn't needed yet. Not sure of your time line.

I think the pharmacy should have mentioned that to you.

I was going to say this could be it also. An "early" refill may cost more.

I am a pharmacist. Dental insurance only covers the dental visits. Prescription coverage covers all prescriptions, even if they are written by the dentist.

Did you get both prescriptions at the same pharmacy? If so, the second one could have very well been too soon for insurance and so the pharmacy charges you cash price. At my place we would mention it, but not everyone will.

If you went to a different pharmacy, did you give each place your insurance card? If not, they may have charged you the cash price. Also, if you used two different pharmacies, was one preferred on your insurance? If you use a non-preferred pharmacy, you pay more out of pocket.

Ooops...wrong quote. I was trying to quote @Breezy_Carol :o

Good thinking! I was surprised a while ago to have my insurance decline a refill on my reflux meds because my coverage only paid for X number of pills in X number of days. I had travel plans and wanted to take extra with me, just in case. I ended up having to pay OOP - no compromise.

Ooops...wrong quote. I was trying to quote @Breezy_Carol :o

Good thinking! I was surprised a while ago to have my insurance decline a refill on my reflux meds because my coverage only paid for X number of pills in X number of days. I had travel plans and wanted to take extra with me, just in case. I ended up having to pay OOP - no compromise.

I was thinking the same thing. I cannot get my prescription refilled until 30 days has passed. The pharmacy refuses. Like you, I was going away and wanted extra but was declined.

And doctors don't just give out antibiotics with no reason.
Actually the CDC believes about 30% of all antibiotic prescriptions are unnecessary.
https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2016/p0503-unnecessary-prescriptions.htmlPatients want something to show for their copay and doctors are unwilling to be the bad guy and say no.

A more recent article puts the number as high as 50%.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181005141911.htm
And 1 in 5 prescriptions are written without an in person visit.

I had read another article that blamed another surge in unnecessary antibiotic prescriptions on the push for telemedicine. I know this year my insurance company, United Health Care, is really pushing telemedicine. If I use the telemedicine options and visit a doctor via facetime and an app my copay is waived. A patient is very likely to get an antibiotic prescription from the telemedicine doctor.

If this is the same pharmacy, I have no idea of the cost change, but for years we got meds online through our insurance. Didn't think twice. About a year or so ago one pill jumped a huge amount in cost. I started looking around. I can get the same pill at local pharmacy for $15 , online it cost $59. Even something basic like for high blood pressure, local .29 , yes, that 29 cents , online $1.30.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter