• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got My Suitcase and a Dream – A DCP Adventure Updated 1/28

Week 22 Pt 2

After we ate more food we found a lovely photo-op for some Brother bear pics.

And it took about 20 times to actually get a “nice” photo.

Then we browsed the gift shop, I pretty much wanted everything. Somewhere with goofing around we lost Andy. Alish found him on a bench, Kiss and I let them be by themselves.

Turns out while we were goofing off earlier it occurred to randy that he wouldn’t be apart of that anymore. They discussed what they needed to discuss and found kiss and I just being bums around the lobby

We all headed back up to old faithful because it was dessert time. They had berry cobbler, some lemon tart (which was not good), smores, rice crispy treats, cookies

We went back to the room and bundled up, I was seriously going to die when I go home to the cold. Went outside to see the bear and kiss wanted to see the geyser

We hung out in the lobby for a little bit before randy left. He planned on hanging out with us again tomorrow and said he would be back around 9.
We went back to the room and watched the electrical parade from our balcony and then watched Gatsby

Tuesday January 6

Today was the dreaded day, the day when I knew I would be a puddle of emotions.
I woke up to find no alish aka she left somewhere in the middle of the night. And I wasn’t even going to let it phase me because there are some things I didn’t want ruin my last day here. Randy called me saying he was 5 minutes away. So I texted alish to see where she was and she said she was on her way back. I guess they both met in the lobby and came up because Alish was smart enough to steal one of our magic bands before she snuck off.

We all went to breakfast then tried to figure out the game plan for the day.

First we needed to take our luggage to check in to our flight, just so we wouldn’t have to worry about that later in the day. Kiss randy and I went to alishs car and I tried squeezing every last thing in suitcases. It was hot and I was struggling. But I couldn't complain about the weather because it was going to be a whomping 0 degrees when I got home. So I told both kiss and randy to yell at me when I complained about being hot when I dressed poorly in jeans and a sweater in high 70 degree weather.

I was worried that they wouldn't check mine because I wasn't part of the room reservation. That thought didn’t even cross my mind until Alish brought it up. There’s always a check when trying to cheat out Disney and that check for me would be having to check my luggage at the airport, which technically wouldn’t be horrible. However the different names on the reservation wasn't the problem. It was the problem that one suitcase was 53 pounds. Shoot. So I tried transferring things into other suitcases, I had officially become that person.
We got it to work and then it was time to put our carry ons in alishs car.

Then we piled in Randy's car and headed off to Epcot. I didn't realize we were only going to Epcot for a school bread for me. Like my family wasted time just for a school bread and I couldn’t been more grateful.
Before getting in Epcot I was worried because my program ended yesterday so I had no clue if my main gate worked because from what I heard it all depends on when your leader takes you out of the computer. Luckily I was still in the system or my whole day would have turned into one big fail.
We walked around the world showcase, Danielle was hanging out with her friend snow but that wasn't until past noon and we had to head over to mk.

So we hopped back into Randy's car and off to the kingdom we went. First we needed some lunch so Pinocchio's it was.

After lunch I had made fastpasses for my guest passes and mine for thunder. Riding thunder with my school bread and being in the back row plus goat effect. It was a challenge, but it was a challenge I accepted and succeeded in. #savetheschoolbread

Randy had to leave for work so we said our goodbyes. The situation is still a little weird who knows if we will see him again. But he told me he would still get me discounts if I ever need them for vacations, because he knows our family well enough to know how utterly obsessed we are with disney and how I’m going to need cm discounts to feed that obsession.

It was a little before 1:30 so I dragged them to COUNTRY BEARS! It was necessary for my last day.

Then we got a spot for festival of fantasy, one of the main things that meant so much to me on this program. We had a long time still so alish held our spot while kiss and I ran to get my grad ears that I got embroidered when we first arrived. The girl misplaced them and if they lost them for good I would be really mad. But they found them in a random drawer. Then we made our last stop at starbs for one last drink.

Then it was time for my last festival of fantasy for a while.

And today I left the nice classy camera in the car so here are some not so good phone pics

After festival of fantasy we had a fastpass for the carpets. Today the spitting camel was up and running, and we got hit by camel spit a lot. Alish tried serenading us by singing a whole new world, but with the some funny turn of events we got hit by spit. It was all caught on video and that 10 second video is the funniest video. We watched the video over and over, as alish was singing you could see the fear in kiss’s face as the camel spit came into view, then at the end you can just hear me screaming bloody murder as I was shot with spit.

We left all laughing and found ourselves in the hub not knowing where we were going. We had a little over an hour left. Time was flying by with no chance of it slowing down.
If anyone knows the song A Million Miles Away from Aladdin the musical, it is probably one of my favorite songs that express my journey.

We’ll be a million miles away, leave everything behind. When you choose to lose yourself who knows what you may find

And once the journeys done we’ll have no need to roam, after a million miles are so we might find out we’re home

We headed to tomorrowland because I was just in the mood for more classic Disney, Carousel of Progress we were coming for you. And whats CoP with the CoP dance me and Alish started back during the 24 hour night back in May
It was that time, the time for the last ride. And our last ride of my dcp was space mountain. A ride through space is a lot choppier when you’re trying to save your school bread. #savetheschoolbread

After Space Mountain we headed out real fast, mostly because our tragical express was coming in less than an hour. No time to look back and be sad. Yes I may not be back in a year or maybe even two but I would be back.

And this is how I died in the wilderness lodge bus stop

Continue to Next Post

I thoroughly enjoyed reading along on your DCP experience. Good luck on the next chapter of your life.

And I thought I was the only one who cried (being the mom and all). You may have a best seller here. Now I understand why in my dream the other night your sisters and brother were grown but you were still 3. You will always be a child at heart. You say it like it is. Just like a three year old would and you can hear the amazement in your words like a three year old seeing something for the first time. It is a sad story but one that will not end here. I know you aren't crazy about being back home but I am glad you are. I missed you, for many reasons but mostly because you will always be my little 3 year old samma. Now if we could just get you to part with that chair. I love you sam. Things happen for a reason, so you appreciate what you have. Your future is up to you. You make your own choices. Follow what your heart wants (your head can always catch up)!

And That's a Warp Week 22 pt 3

When we got back to the lodge we had about a half hour till the tragical express came to claim me and take me back to reality.
So we ran up to club level where they had chicken nuggets, pulled pork, peanut butter and jelly
I got some chicken nuggets because lets be real I could live off chicken nuggets and be content.

I shoveled in some food fast, got more chicken to go and then went to get our bags from Alish’s car. We had about 15 minutes and went to purchase our lodge merch because that was something we needed to do. The lady cashing out kiss was forever slow, and it was 2 minutes before the bus. Luckily the bus was still there, but if I missed it I wouldn’t have been mad.

And just like that I was on my way off of Disney property. At first it didn’t feel like I would be home in a couple of hours. But then they played that stupid movie and I did my best to keep my emotions under control. Once we were off property we passed la finca, a Mexican restaurant that seemed super sketch but Brittany and I always said we needed to try it. Although I’m glad we never did because I feel like a sketchy Mexican restaurant would not agree with anyone’s stomach. Then we passed international road aka Patterson and it was goodbye to the life I lived for the passed 5 months. And while it was such a short time it seemed like a lifetime.

The ride to the airport was uneventful. I drowned my sorrows in my chicken nuggets.
I was a bag lady walking through the airport ready to be at the gate so I could just throw everything down. However before we made it to security I had to stop by to see the fairest one of all since we didn’t get a chance to see her at epcot earlier today.

Then it was threw security and off to wait the forever long wait at the gate. Luckily I had my computer to entertain me.
The worker at the gate kept us informed that it was zero degrees back in Buffalo and I wanted to die.
Sometime during our wait I pulled out the club level chocolate…which lost its totem pole mold

Note to self don’t leave it in a hot car while you play in the park.

We finally started boarding and it was time to get home. I was glad that our flight had free tv so Kiss and I watched some New Girl and About a Boy.
After 2.5 hours in the air we finally arrived to New York around 11 and if you don’t sing Welcome to New York by Taylor Swift when you arrive to New York you’re doing something wrong.

Welcome to New York, its been waiting for you!

When we landed I called Gma who said she would be on her way. I guess ma was already at the airport picking up my Aunt and Uncle who got home tonight from Cali. So Kiss and I waited for my hundred bags and called Gma when we had them. The real joy was trying to get all my belongings outside, cause clearly kiss and I were on our own because gma parks at the curb to she doesn’t have to pay to park. So I wheeled 2 suitcases and juggled my backpack, duffle and schoolbread out to the 0 degree night. I was miserable and Elsa did her job to freeze my heart.

Kiss loaded up the car, while I jumped inside because it was way to cold. However we ran out of room in the trunk so I had to hold a suitcase on my lap all the way home.

When I got home I was reunited with my dog, the main thing I missed from home. Ma was still up which was surprising. But she didn’t care about my program and how I was. She only cared about Alicia and Andys situation before she went to sleep. I told her what I could tell her, the full story of went down needed to be told from her other daughter not me. So then I got a nice little chat about relationships and once again wrong child.

And while I was dreading coming home, I was glad to be back and sleeping in my own bed.

Continue to Next Post

Sam, thank you so much for all your reports, I thoroughly enjoyed your journey. I wish you all the best! And maybe one day you will be back and do the assignments at Disney Springs or somewhere else....

Man! Reading this is making me so sad!!!! Lol. I'm glad that you've kept us all updated & hope you have a little more of an update soon! Leaving must have been so rough! We had our first group of departures since I've been here last week, and have more coming up in the next few weeks (including an early departure from our arrival group :( ) and then everyone taking off to Japan....sad days!!

Looks like WL was a good time! It's on my list of places to stay, that's for sure (and preferably with the cm discounts lol) it's just such an awesome resort, the lobby & grounds are gorgeous and the club level looks fantastic!

Glad that you got to see Jasmine & Poca in the last week you were there, that's super awesome, and so happy to see so much Danielle in your stories too lol.

Booo to the stupid full timers being dumb! That's so sucky, and doesn't make sense, they should be nice!! NYE sounds like a messy night! Ugh. I'm thankful and glad that ours wasn't too bad over to Epcot. I mean, the crowds were rough, but that was about it.

Thank you for sharing your story! I'm even more thankful since I'm doing a program lol. It takes a LOT of work to do something like this while working that many long hours, dealing with transtar & playing in the parks, and you managed to rock it! I hope to read more still, even if it is about home life, or see you sometime again in Disney (even if it is overseas Disney...) thanks for hanging out the few times & attempting to drop off that bag of stuff for me! Lol. <3

Sam,
I loved reading your reports and would check back often for an update. It was really cool to see Disney from a different perspective. I would love more updates and we were there just as you left, I was really hoping to say Hi!

DCP Conclusion

I'd hoped and wished and wanted so to be here.
Wished and prayed and planned it to a "t"

The DCP was a roller coaster ride with ups and downs around every corner. But I wouldn't have changed a thing. I've heard from many people how it changed their lives and that they grew into the person they were meant to be. While pre dcp Sam just thought they were all making it sound like a life changing experience, post dcp Sam learned that it truly was a life changing experience. On the last days leading up to my return home I remembered back to August and how scared to death I was about moving so far away from home and living on my own. Turns out after 5 months I was scared to death to move back home. I grew into my skin on this program, I learned how to be a big girl who takes care of herself. And to my surprise it was a lot easier than expected. I was sure I would be tremendously homesick at times and once again I was surprised to find myself feeling comfortable with where and how my life was going. Sure there were times when things got rough but that's life. It might have also helped that I had something to look forward to each month with visits and vacations. Plus I was living the life one could only wish for.

I have to give a big thank you to both Alicia and Brittany because I honestly don't think I would have been able to make the move to Florida without them.

I met Brittany freshman year of college and shortly after we started planning our dcp adventure and counting down the days till we could apply. While it took longer than we would have hoped, it finally happened. We now get to tell the tale of how 2 best friends moved to Disney, roomed together, fought off bed bugs, survived the bumps in our friendship, romped around the parks and had a journey of a lifetime. And maybe, who knows we might get to have a part 2 of our tale in the future, if our plans work out because we aren't over our adventures with Disney just yet. And nor do I think I ever will be.

Then there's alish. I must admit she was probably the biggest reason I wasn't a basket case at some points in the past months. I knew with one call she would drop everything, come pick me up, forgot about the real world and loose ourselves in a world of tomorrow, yesterday and fantasy. I’ll miss our weekly adventures and our sister ride on the carpets that we were never able to bounce. She gave me advise about life in Disney, spending holidays away from home and life itself. The only thing she couldn’t help me out with was the utter heartbreak leaving that all behind once the program ended.

I'd hoped and wished and wondered what I'd do here.
Wished and prayed and pictured what I'd see

The dcp isn't about going to the parks everyday, while at times it might seem like that, it's an internship with the Disney company meaning you'll work your butt off. I was skeptical at first about my role, but the things I read about it during my research before moving were all true. Being part of the guest show team at dtd was probably more exciting then most people would think. I got paid to spend my night pin trading, doing water art, spending most of my time listening to the entertainment, giving my disney dining expertise to guests who had no clue where to eat, passing out stickers, ect. Of course there was also the whole trash runs, which took probably 30 minutes at most. Or cleaning a restroom for 15 minutes at a time. But after that I was free to do anything I wanted. It was a very freeing role to be in. Many people will probably say well what about code vs? That was my biggest con going into this. But let me tell you cleaning code vs were a piece of cake compared to cleaning one up at a daycare. I was also lucky to not get many code v calls during my program.

Downtown Disney is where I spent most of my time. It wasn't what I was really thrilled about at the beginning but once again I found myself enjoying the place I worked. It use to be the “last day of your vacation” place to go but now it means so much more to me, it’s my home. I was lucky enough to get to go behind construction walls and see dtd change into disney springs. Every week something was changing and walls were added and taken down, Disney springs is going to be one beautiful place once its finished. And I cannot wait to see it and all its glory.

I'd hoped and wished my life would feel enchanted
Wished and prayed the fates would hear my plea
Prayed and wow, my prayers are more than granted

So my DCP fall 2014 journey has come to an end and yeah maybe I have no clue where my life leads now (because basically I've been waiting my whole college career for this moment to happen and now its over). One thing I learned from this experience was live in the moment, cherish every second of time because something’s in life go away to quickly. And while I'm just a 22 year old who doesn't know what's out their in the big scary world. I do know that I will forever be grateful for living the fantasy life I've always dreamed about.

And if who knows all of it goes past even these extremes
Just look at me and you will see someone beyond her wildest dreams

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I loved following along, and I hope you share your future adventures with us as well.

:( Crying because your adventure is over but thrilled to have you back in our family again. Love you Sama - you are one of a kind! :lovestruc

Thank you for sharing your wonderful trip report. Wishing you all the best in whatever your future plans may be !

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!!! Thank you so much for taking us on your wild and touching ride. You may be finished with this chapter in your Disney life but I know Disney is not finished with you.

just finished your report. and when i grow up i want to be just like you. only i want to remain a boy. the problem is i'll never grow up. i am afflicted with that dreaded Peter Pan syndrome. but it's ok. as the Greatful Dead used to sing," i will get by, i will survive." anyway i enjoyed reading of your experiences. and as the late Humphrey Bogart used to say "can't nobody write a DCP report like you, baby." looking forward to the next one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter