• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Got this email from David's. Can you help me navigate?

connorlevismom

DIS Veteran
I recently got the email below from David's. I had kind of stopped reading the posts about what was going on once I knew WDW was reopening and I knew my guests would have a place to stay. Now it seems they don't want to come.

Can you please take a look at the email and let me know the pros and cons to doing this for them? My UY is September and these are 2019 points, so it would need to be for a reservation for the same dates, correct? I did ask them if it would be for the same dates and if I would be required to sign a new contract. I just want to make sure that I know everything I can before I agree to doing this. Here is the email:

The XXXXX family has contacted us in reference to the Animal Kingdom reservation (#XXXXXXX for the dates of August 17-22, 2020). Regrettably due to concerns over COVID-19, the guests are unable to travel come August 17, 2020

As you’re aware, we have a no cancellation policy, but given the situation we wanted to reach out and see if you would consider making an exception and be willing to change the names on the reservation to a new family?

If you are willing to make the modification, our office will handle searching for a new family to take the Animal Kingdom: 2-bedroom Standard View reservation as it is currently booked. Once we have a new family for the stay, it would require a phone call from you into Member Services to update the guest list on this reservation.

Please note that the choice to make the modification, or to not make the modification, does not affect your final payment. You will still receive the final 30% on the date that these guests are scheduled to check in. However, if we can find another family to take over this reservation and you are successful in modifying the guest list, David would like to pass along a sign of appreciation by paying you another $2.00 per point to thank you for your assistance ($360.00)

At your convenience, please let me know if you would be willing to make this exception and modify the XXXXX families reservation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

We look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
Nicholas Robbins
David’s Vacation Club Rentals
Toll Free: (800) 610-5791
http://www.dvcrequest.com
www.facebook.com/dvcRentals
https://www.pinterest.com/dvcrentals/
#dvcrentals

Last edited:
It looks to me like cons: none; pros: you might get an extra $360 for making a phone call.

Edit: What happens if you say no to the change, and they don't check in? Does DVC refund you any of the points for the reservation in that situation? And if so, would the current waiver on points going into holding apply? If so, there could be a potential benefit to saying no, but coming at the direct expense of the renters. Looks like no-shows usually don't get points refunded, but I have no idea if they are handling it differently now.

Last edited:
Seems like a good deal.

I would do it.

Remove the reservation number from your post though above.

Edit: What happens if you say no to the change, and they don't check in? Does DVC refund you any of the points for the reservation in that situation?
No points are refunded unless the reservation is cancelled at least one day prior to arrival.

Looks good, well almost too good to be true.

Here is my take - David will keep the money from the original renter and re-rent it to someone else and keep the money from that too (minus $2pp).

Thus, I would want to follow the money....

Here is my take - David will keep the money from the original renter and re-rent it to someone else and keep the money from that too (minus $2pp).

This is what I am wondering as well. I have seen enough to know he is not doing this out of the goodness of his own heart. I must benefit him somehow.

This is what I am wondering as well. I have seen enough to know he is not doing this out of the goodness of his own heart. I must benefit him somehow.
This assumes the worst. I think he is refunding most of the money to the original customer if another customer is found. That makes good business sense.

Original customer knows it is non-refundable and it was his decision to cancel. If it were me, I would be happy to get some back under those circumstances and would do business with them again. YMMV.

This assumes the worst. I think he is refunding most of the money to the original customer if another customer is found. That makes good business sense.

Original customer knows it is non-refundable and it was his decision to cancel. If it were me, I would be happy to get some back under those circumstances and would do business with them again. YMMV.

Understood. Last I had been reading it was not looking like he was doing much that benefited anyone other than himself. That is the reason for my response. Things may have changed and I need to do my own research as well. Just checking to see if anyone else had gotten this email or accepted the terms to see how it goes.

Not a DVC owner so take this with a grain of salt, but as a reader of the ginormous Davids DVC thread, I would also question whether you need to sign his updated contract to do so.

I would also have my suspicions on a double dip here. My guess based on the other thread is that the first family *might* be offered a travel voucher but as they are the ones cancelling and it's technically open, I wouldn't be 100% on that.

I thought he was offering renters a voucher for future booking or money back minus $3 a point.

The original was probably rented at his old rate. His new rate is $1 more. In addition, he's telling people that he will give a voucher for the full amount of the previous rental less a fee of $3 per point. So, David's is making money on doing this. He has the potential to take in the full new rate in cash, pays out only $3 per point to service it, and gives a voucher that may or may never be redeemed (and, if redeemed, will be at his new rate and under his new terms).

I sincerely doubt he will find a new renter. He has thousands of listings already on his site.

As an owner, you don't want to agree to his new contract terms. The old contract, with an amendment to cover the change in names, is what you want to be governed by.

It's cute that people are referring to David's rentals as a "he." Based on their own website they employ somewhere between 30-50 people (I didn't count). It's not one guy operating out of his garage - he (David) probably isn't even involved in this transaction at all.

One of the big cons right now is wait times via MS...holds have been over 30 minutes.

Emails are taking a long time as well. So, if you agree to do it, be prepared for that in order to change the names.

It's cute that people are referring to David's rentals as a "he." Based on their own website they employ somewhere between 30-50 people (I didn't count). It's not one guy operating out of his garage - he (David) probably isn't even involved in this transaction at all.
At the end of the day, it is a privately-held company for which he is the owner and CEO, and the expectation that he is heabvily involved in setting current policies in this unprecedented time is pretty reasonable stuff.

One of the big cons right now is wait times via MS...holds have been over 30 minutes.

Emails are taking a long time as well. So, if you agree to do it, be prepared for that in order to change the names.
FYI - I was able to change the lead name on a reservation over chat last week. Took about 5 mins. Op, just login to the DVC site and wait for the active chat link to popup. I would do this, what have you got to lose? The Disney God's are watching..

FYI - I was able to change the lead name on a reservation over chat last week. Took about 5 mins. Op, just login to the DVC site and wait for the active chat link to popup. I would do this, what have you got to lose? The Disney God's are watching..

That was great. I have not had any luck with chat begin available lately.

^
Chat helped me out today by using all my banked points for a reservation which freed up my borrowed points to be put back. It was a case where a reservation made at 7 months or less had a lock on the points it let me used. I was very impressed with Patricia’s help.

They've advised you that the guests will not be travelling. Cancelling the reservation would be a possibility since you know that no one is going to be showing up. Personally I don't believe that David's is refunding these clients regardless of what you do. I would probably try and track down the renters but I realize not everyone would be comfortable doing that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter