GOTG with neck issues

Xrox

Earning My Ears
Back in 2018 I did every ride at WDW. I have some minor neck issues and the only ride that bothered me was SM. I found the combination of flat/sharp turns in the dark, without any head support, to be very painful. RRC was much better as there was head support and much less flat turns (only 1 IIRC). So my question would be, how would you rate GOTG with regards to those issues? Does it have many sharp flat turns? Or are they mostly or all smooth banked turns?

I had the exact same situation on our last trip (also 2018). I have already told my family that I will not be riding SM this time! Also curious about new rides like GOTG, so thanks for asking

Yeah I’m about to have neck fusion surgery so I’m interested in seeing how people feel about riding rides not too long after. Scheduled for early September for surgery and have a trip planned for late January so trying to see if I need to put it off until maybe March.

Following this one, too. I have had back surgery - can ride smooth rides like Remy / Seven Dwarves Mine Train, but SM with it's jerky motions is a no go. Hoping for positive feedback before I decide to risk it - would LOVE to ride it... I miss all the big coasters at amusement parks... really hoping I can do this one.

I thought GOTG was one of the smoothest rides I've been on. You're also kind of locked in better, so it feels much more secure. It's fast, but it doesn't really jerk you around, IMO.

No idea about these surgeries or whatever, but I consider Everest, 7D, Thunder Mountain, and the MMRR Daisy Conga section to be jerkier.

I didn't have any issues with my neck before, but it still hurts 11 days after being at the park and riding Guardians.

I thought GOTG was one of the smoothest rides I've been on. You're also kind of locked in better, so it feels much more secure. It's fast, but it doesn't really jerk you around, IMO.

No idea about these surgeries or whatever, but I consider Everest, 7D, Thunder Mountain, and the MMRR Daisy Conga section to be jerkier.
Thanks for the feedback. Agreed on MMRR Daisy Conga! I though MMRR would be smooth like Remy... the conga section was unexpected and stressed me out a bit - did ok, though... won't ride again.

My doctor always says do what is comfortable but avoid major impact and jerky. I just try to get as much feedback as possible and accept full responsibility for my choices. I love SDMT and Remy - so glad I did those.

Also Dinosaur. I find that just awful for my neck and cannot ride it.

The only advice I have is to not try to follow the video screens as you go through the ride. Keep your head facing forward and look to the tracks instead. The ride is really smooth. As long as you have strength in your neck enough to keep looking forward as you move, it should definitely be less jerky than the others.

It really is subjective, though. Rides are tricky and treat people differently, even based on height, build, etc...

GotG is very smooth. However it really whips you around when it spins, kinda makes you struggle to keep your head upgright.
I agree with this - it's an exceptionally smooth coaster, but there is just SO much whipping around, suddenly, and in all directions. You're also launched backwards which whips your head forward.

Got back from our trip about a week ago. I opted out of the ride as I tried to avoid all dark coasters this trip due to my neck. I wish I didn't as everyone in our group thought it was smooth and easy on the neck. Next time.....

Got back from our trip about a week ago. I opted out of the ride as I tried to avoid all dark coasters this trip due to my neck. I wish I didn't as everyone in our group thought it was smooth and easy on the neck. Next time.....
When it comes down to it - this is where I think I would be at. I'm probably going to ride it next trip (since my dr says I need to use my judgement) - I'll probably buy $ILL so I can time it to be the very last ride of the night, just in case...

I also have neck problems, mostly due to a lifetime doing computer work with non-ergonomic workstations and poor posture.

I felt there was a lot of G forces generated in unnatural directions, and it was very uncomfortable. I don't enjoy feeling uncomfortable, so I would personally never ride it again.

On the contrary, my wife, who has a bad back, had no issues with it. Presumably because of its "smoothness." In my case, my neck had to counteract smooth but intense lateral G forces, and that was not a comfortable sensation.

I always have to laugh when I hear Guardians described as a smooth ride. When my husband and I rode it during passholder previews, the car jerked violently back and forth repeatedly. Our photo shows our hair blowing in the wind created by the jerking. I couldn't wait for it to be over. If you have neck issues I would avoid.

I always have to laugh when I hear Guardians described as a smooth ride. When my husband and I rode it during passholder previews, the car jerked violently back and forth repeatedly. Our photo shows our hair blowing in the wind created by the jerking. I couldn't wait for it to be over. If you have neck issues I would avoid.
I have lower back issues (not neck) so, I typically weigh my decisions related more to that.

I would count it as smooth because it feels more like the car is floating at a rapid pace than actually attached on a track, at least for me. However, there are sections where the motion/forces tend to make my head move forward, or to the side. There is a curve directly after the launch that made me full body slide, each time. Depending on the row, the force of the launch may cause more stress on your neck. ]
If you ride, avoid the back rows. The speed and motion do cause you to move around some, even though it never feels unsafe. It's more like the upper body moves just because of the changes in direction. It was never jolting like SM though.

If your neck issues are severe, I would definitely avoid it just to be safe. If they are minor, then you will probably end up with a sore neck, just from trying to hold yourself in place with the rotations/speed.

It depends on which row they were in? I've heard the front is less intense than the back.

It depends on which row they were in? I've heard the front is less intense than the back.
I've seen this other places for GOG. On other rides I've asked for the front, and CMs are great - they usually let us step to the side until they can get us on one of the front rows.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter