Gran Destino vs Ft Wilderness Cabin for late June Trip?

My husband and I are going to WDW last week of June-first weekend of July.

Currently we are booked for GDT with a king bed, but I’m wondering if it would be a better use of time and travel on property to go to the cabins? We haven’t stayed at either resort, so I’m not sure how transportation compares with them.

For reference, the cabins are about $600 more for the same timeframe after taxes etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Personally, unless you plan on spending more than half your time at MK, I'd do GDT. The cabins are cute and if you need a kitchen a good choice. I've said a million times the buses are the buses are the buses and you are going to get good and bad service at all the resorts. However, Ft. Wilderness is huge and while you can take an internal bus at GDT to get around it's not really a must. At Ft. Wilderness if you want to get to the main bus hub, which you are going to have to use to go everywhere except MK, you are going to have to take the internal buses. You could walk it I guess, but it would be long and that time of year hot. I'm a big advocate of walking and only used the internal bus system at CS (I was not staying at GDT but in the Casistas) to get to the parks, I walked everywhere else and even I wouldn't attempt to walk to the main bus hub at the Fort. We stayed there in our RV and rented a golf cart, which is a good option but is going to add to your cost. GDT is pretty close to Epcot and HS, really only about a 5 to 8 min. bus ride and not much longer than that to AK. The fort is a MK resort so it's can take up to 20 min. to get to the other parks from there. It is going to take you about 20 min. to get to MK from GDT but it is the furthest park from all the resorts except the monorail ones and WL and the Fort.

I’d save the 600 and stay at GDT. It’s a beautiful
property with newer rooms that almost feel deluxe and bus is “fast enough” to any theme park.

GDT is right in the middle of 3 of the 4 parks. You are literally less than a 5 minute bus ride from AK, HS and Epcot and 15 minutes from MK. My wife and I have stayed at GDT many times and love the resort. We take Ubers as well in the same time frame. The entire staying at a resort close to a park is a nice thought, but in reality, it saves little to nothing and it's never worth $600.00. Ha In April of last year we stayed at GDT and we were the literally the first ones in Epcot the 2 days we went to Epcot. My avatar is a picture we took of GDT from 3 Bridges Bar and Grill out on the lake. Highly recommend 3 Bridges, really good food.

This is comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion. The cabins are cute and cozy and good for a larger group, but you can't get anywhere quickly, and the layout isn't the best for a couple. The main bed being pushed against a wall is such a pain in the middle of the night - there is no getting out of bed to go to the bathroom without waking the other person up 🤣 I'd say GDT all day. ESPECIALLY if it's going to save you $.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter