Grand Flo vs. Poly????

Taylormade0503

Earning My Ears
We are taking our almost 3yo to Disney in May. We are going to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. We were planning to stay at the Polynesian (bc our daughter loves Moana), but it is possible we could get a room with a view of the construction. Not sure if this matters. But, the Grand Floridian, due to a promo that month, would be about the same price as the Polynesian. Out of these two options, where would you stay?

I would prefer the Poly even if it were more expensive. It's just more immersive, more unique, and more fun. Grand Flo is stuffy and formal to me, I'm never fully comfortable there.

The number of rooms facing construction are very few, so if you note in your reservation that you'd like to NOT face the construction, I would be (relatively) confident that the request will be honored.

We are taking our almost 3yo to Disney in May. We are going to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. We were planning to stay at the Polynesian (bc our daughter loves Moana), but it is possible we could get a room with a view of the construction. Not sure if this matters. But, the Grand Floridian, due to a promo that month, would be about the same price as the Polynesian. Out of these two options, where would you stay?
I’ve stayed at both and although I think for kiddies, Poly is the answer, we cannot forget money. Since close in price, go for GF this time. You’ll know what it’s all about and have a goal for an adults only trip or when children are older. Never found it stuffy surprisingly enough; doesn’t seem Disney knows the meaning of the word.

Have fun wherever you choose to stay 🙂

Grand Floridian

If your child loves Moana, I would pick Poly. See if a Poly villa studio is available - that would put you in a location that is quite far from any construction.
It would be away from construction, but they are not nearly as Moana themed as a regular Poly room. Just something to consider. Don't book a standard/resort view category room and you should not be facing the construction. And I would choose the Poly over the Grand any day.

We have stayed at both & I prefer Poly hands down. I love visiting GF, it's absolutely beautiful & I don't feel like it's stuffy but alot of people seem to feel that way. Last September I enjoyed having a drink at the Enchanted Rose & getting on the monorail back to our room @ Poly & plan on doing the same thing this year. Poly is so laid back & it's just so magical to me. My travel party consists of adults only right now. Especially w/ kids I would prefer Poly.

100% Grand Floridian! With a 3 yo, you will appreciate having a guaranteed balcony to hang out while she is sleeping whether it's naps or bedtime. GF has a wonderful kids waterplay area. Each building has a laundry room in case you need to clean some clothes during your trip. The GF is so much quieter with less people milling about. The Poly gets so busy at night with people visiting for the bars and dining. It's easy to walk, monorail, or boat over to the Poly for a visit while retreating to the GF for peace.

FWIW, I also prefer the dining options at GF over Poly.

We’ve stayed at both with our now 11 year old son. His first experience was a Poly at age 3 and, if asked now, he’d say this is his favorite resort. That said, he also likes the GF and in fact we have a trip there planned for April. As others have mentioned, the Poly just feels “busier”, but GF gets its share of people milling about too. For a 3 year old with no point of comparison, I don’t think you can go wrong with either, so in that case, I’d choose based on price.

Definitely poly for two main reasons the kids splash area is way way better with more things to do and 3 little slides and then because the bus first passes by the Poly and then to the GF so at least you are the first in if you have a pram or you really want a place to sit.

Haven't said at either but with a 3 year old I'd go GF. Quieter, guaranteed balcony, walk while your kid is in the stroller to MK and reduced price would lead us to GF. Two fantastic options, but Poly would probably be more appreciated when the kiddo is able to enjoy the pool and splash pad and theming.

If you're worried about a view of construction, rent a Poly Villa off WDW website to avoid the possibility of construction view. THat's what we did. BTW, we have stayed in both Poly and GF and love both.

My daughter still talks about the “Moana” rooms at the Polynesian. I think that the Grand Floridian and the Poly have such different vibes though. I personally prefer the poly. The pool there was really nice. My daughter enjoyed the splash pad as well. I would 100% stay there again.

Didn't mention the Contemporary which is also on the monorail loop, but all of the tower rooms have balconies if that is something important to you. There also isn't any construction if you are concerned about the view or noise. We stayed there last visit and the view of the lake provides many things to see. The theme park view is more expensive and mostly you look out over a parking lot and can see the tops of some of the taller buildings @ MK. The times we have eaten or shopped at either Poly or Floridian have the same impression as others. Floridian seems to have this pretentious attitude compared to the more relaxed vibe of Poly or Contemporary.

GF or Poly? Polynesian for us. Keep in mind, there's some refurb/construction going on at GF, as well. Obviously, not nearly the extent as there is at Poly with the new tower. But we took the monorail to, and dined at GF last month, and were quite surprised by the number of walls up, equipment on site, and even some scaffolding. So it's not completely out of the question you could get a less-than-favorable view at GF, too.

I’d say Poly. More kid friendly and your daughter loves Moana so that should seal the deal there.

I’ve stayed at both and enjoyed both. You can’t go wrong.
This. I love both resorts to pieces, they're my favorites. Slight edge to the Poly because I love the beachy tropical vibe but I loved my first stay at the GF and we are back there again this year before our cruise. The really nice thing is you still have access to all the dining since they're right next to each other, so I would go by which pool area looks more appealing since that's one of the only things you can't access at the other resort.

If her enjoyment is important, and you are undecided, then show her the two resorts and let her decide!

It will be a fun way for you to talk about the trip, empower her, teach her that her opinion matters, and there are no wrong answers. No matter which resort you choose, you'll have fun, and you can easily visit and dine at both resorts.

Personally, construction views don't bother us, because we see it as a rare chance to see something unique. Like the way people are now thrilled to see Epic Universe construction photos. They show a moment in time that will not repeat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter