• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grand Floridian afternoon tea

CheshireVal

Can you stand on your head?<BR><font color="purple
Has anyone done this? Thinking of surprising my mom by making PS for this during our upcoming Christmas trip.

If you've done this, which tea offering did you choose? Was it fun? Would it be a nice mother-daughter activity?

Thanks!

:D

My sister and I have done this twice and will do it again in Dec. with our Mother. They begin seating at 2:00 PM. We choose the tea with sandwiches, 2 sweet treats and a choice of strawberries and cream or scones with Devonshire cream. This might be the Buckingham tea. The one we usually have costs just under $18. I think you and your Mother would enjoy it. Also, at Christmas the GF is decorated beautifully. They'll have the large gingerbread house up and their tree. During the tea you will also be able to hear the pianist and the GF big band.

I'm also planning on booking this for my mom's birthday in October. I've never done it before but it seems like a great mother/daughter activity.

I bet your mom would really appreciate it CheshireVal :D

We did the Afternoon Tea when we stayed at the Grand Floridian and everyone in the party enjoyed it.

Our three year old daughter had already attned the Wonderland Tea party earlier in the week, but she also joined us for Afternoon Tea.

She had Mrs. Potts Tea - For the younger tea lover in your party, we offer a variety of tea sandwiches, tuna salad, ham and cheese, peanut butter and jelly on white bread. We serve our magical dark tea (chocolate milk), followed by a choice of 2 pastries $8.50 per guest

For many, the Afternoon Tea experience is a meal.::yes::
Afternoon Tea Menu

HI! I think that is a WONDERFUL idea:teeth: You and your mom will LOVE it! It is a great way to relax and indulge at Disneyprincess: I HIGHLY recommend it! Have done it 3 or 4 times with DD and also DSIL and DN in July. I usually get Buckingham Palace Tea with w/ Earl Grey (my favorite!)
Don't worry about what to order in advance - just peruse the menu when you get thereprincess: (although that link is awesome!)
DO IT! And ENJOY!

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely be doing this in December then. :teeth:

One more question: what should we wear? Is "theme park attire" okay or should be dress a bit nicer??

I am doing this with my MIL in 2 weeks. I am really looking forward to it. :)

I have seen people there dressed in shorts, slacks or dresses. I have probably seen more slacks and dresses though. Those who wore shorts were in nicer shorts such as a walking type short. I have always worn slacks the times I have gone.

I am thinking about doing this as well, with my 16 year old DD. DO you think she will like it at that age? Also, do they do this on Christmas day?

We have always wanted to do this. On our upcoming trip, we won't know until the last minute if we have an afternoon free where this would work.

Are PS a must, or can you walk in?

:confused:

I have read that they have turned people away at busier times. I would try to get a PS if you can. :)

the menu on allearsnet was updated and confused me..is the $17 choice a choice of one of the following :sandwich, scones , pastry or a mix of them? Thanks. am thinking of taking hubby here since he always wants to visit a local tea room ( know he will be upset when he actually spies a tea sandwich since he always thinks he needs mass quantities of food, orders it then can't eat 1/2 of it:rolleyes: )

CheshireVal,

I would suggest to you that you call for this reservation on the 90 day mark. I made our ressie for the 1st week of Dec. and the 2:00 seating was already full. A lot of local groups book the Tea Party in Dec.

The afternoon tea is one of my favorite things to do at WDW!

Lori

Thank you so much for all your replies. :D Sounds fabulous! I'm going to book this on Thursday! (the 90 day mark)

:bounce:

You'll love doing this. We did it last year for the first time and I made a PS for the afternoon of our arrival.. Since our flight out of Boston is at 6:30 am., chances of getting anything decent for breakfast are pretty slim. We'll be starving by the time we go at 2:00. Last time I had the Grand Tea and DH had the Pince of Wales. We'll probably do the same. Have fun.

I concur with the other posters that you and your mom will realy enjoy this.

Afternoon tea has become a WDW tradition for my husband and I, and we always "force" anyone traveling with us to join in on the fun. We've made true believers of them all!! :D

We like to splurge on the Grand Tea so that we can have the champagne. And we are always so stuffed by the end of the meal - the food is wonderful, as are the atmosphere and the service.

You will have a wonderful time. But be sure to book in advance - I have been sipping tea in the lounge when they have had to turn people away because they didn't have PS and there were no tables available.

Originally posted by oybolshoi
But be sure to book in advance - I have been sipping tea in the lounge when they have had to turn people away because they didn't have PS and there were no tables available.

can you please mention what time of year this was? thanks

can you please mention what time of year this was? thanks

I have seen this happen when we were there early in June and I've seen it happen when we were there late in October. Actually, in October it happened on Halloween afternoon just last year. An older couple wanted to have tea, and there were no more seatings available (I think it was around 4PM).

For certain things at WDW I always make sure that I have PS - and afternoon tea is definitely one of them.

Yes - better safe than sorry. However, as an FYI, DD and I had a PS during our April 2003 trip the week before Easter. There was only one other group there the whole time AND we enjoyed it so much that we "walked-up" the next day and were seated immediatelyprincess:
If you are counting on going and are traveling from another resort, I would definitely try and have PS. Unless it's a holiday or weekend (twice I've seen it blocked off for wedding showers...) I think PS would be fairly easy to get!:wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter