Grateful, Thankful, Blessed: our 25th Anniversary SeaWorld Celebration (Spring ’18 TR)

Right? As of now it hasn't moved all week. Just keeps making its web more intricate.

Ugh that bite. That is why once I found it I read all up on it. I have had similar bites and if this was a medically important bitting spider, it was getting a two boot clap. So far it really hasn't moved. Yesterday I found a huge snake skin out by the pool and have been woken by coyote every night this week. I swear my yard is decorating itself for Halloween.:scared: Just as long as everyone stays outside. I started my war on the little wispy spider that were accumulating in corners inside last night. My first holiday task after groceries this weekend is a whole house deep clean. Whoop whoop big fun. I keep thinking, " last year we left for Florida today" oh well Oct will be here soon enough.

On Oct, yes this is our first DCLcruise (DH and I had one really bad cruise 13 years ago on another line) our first trip to DC and Dd7s first SW experience. I kind of went all out on the DC day. We are dolphin swimming and doing the newish animal trek tour.I went with the tour because we had originally wanted to do an animal experience on our SW day, but adding DC makes our SW day our last day and I wanted to have time to get all the shows in without adding something else. My vacation math justified it because we aren't doing any cruise excursions. :-) Oh and I reserved a daybed. I hate looking for chairs when I want to relax. The message was temping but my financial.sense got the best of me. I even had a disney/vacation anxiety dream that night. They always involve not being able to get everyone somewhere. I'm crazy.

Now to move on to Halloween costumes for on the cruise. Dd7 wants to be one of the girls from the Disney Zombies movie. And I am attempting to make a disbound type Mary Poppins and Bert set for me and DH.

Kobe looks fun! And the food pics looked sooooo good. You keep trying restaurants and I keep adding to my Orlando "try" list. :worship:

Enjoy the weekend everyone!

Vacation math is my FAVORITE kind of math!! :teeth: I think your trip sounds AMAZING and all of your plans make perfect sense!! (or cents, whichever you prefer ;)) I can't wait to hear about the animal trek tour that you have booked at DC......I bet it will be amazing.

I'm impressed that you're making costumes yourself. I am SO not creative that way!! Always impressed (and a little envious) of people who are awesomely crafty.

mmmm...squeaky cheese. So good. Yes I've brought it home on the plane when I've been in WI visiting dad's side of the fam. Mom's brought it home from Tillamook too, they have the best cheddar, sorry WI but OR does this one thing right :)

In SF for the weekend. Went to the Walt Disney Family Museum today and was a bit disappointed in the size for the cost ($25). It had some cool stuff to see and I'm glad I went, however if you know Walt's history and how he started, moved, the Alice movies on up through Disneyland you don't really need to read any of the stuff. And when his story is the main focus of the museum when you know it, it all goes by quick. I had heard the special exhibit on the nine old men wasn't that good so I didn't pay the extra $5 and skipped it. I kind of wish I had gone since I might have spent more time there but at the same time I was worried it would be a waste.

Oregon is famous for cheese? :confused: I have so much to learn about this country!!!

Sorry to hear the Disney museum didn't live up to expectations. That's always a bummer. But San Francisco sounds like a fun place to spend a long weekend!! How's the weather?

I am not a dairy person, period. I gag at the thought of milk. My dad still makes fun of me, saying I used to eat cheese fine (but no milk), until I was 3 or 4 And saw the sesame Street episode that they showed how cheese was made and I realized it was litterally moldy milk. To this day it makes me gag. Sometimes I can handle fake cheeses, and pizza, but that's it. The thought of just eating a piece of cheese . As I've grown ive found on a rare occasion I can do "goupy soup" (or whatever you called it)of sour cream, and sometimes yogurt. But that's as far as I'll stretch it. Even to this day, too much ice cream can making me pretty sick, because either I'm lactose intolerant or have developed a milk allergy. So I just avoid it all.

Also, ever since the wonderland visit, I basically keep a pint of cookie dough in my fridge so I can eat a spoonful whenever. Also, it's the real stuff, so bring on the raw eggs.

Lastly, I think we need to schedule a football game watch on Saturday when you're here (Utah vs UCLA on ESPN,to be exact) so I can teach you. Because not knowing who Brett Farve is....

Oregon is famous for cheese? :confused: I have so much to learn about this country!!!

Sorry to hear the Disney museum didn't live up to expectations. That's always a bummer. But San Francisco sounds like a fun place to spend a long weekend!! How's the weather?

I'm not sure a lot of people outside the west coast know about Tillamook cheese, but Target and Wal Mart have been starting to sell it in other areas. Costco always has but huge portion. They make really yummy ice cream too.

SF has been windy and 60s. Yesterday was warmer. It was low 70s in Oakland for the ballgame today but windy which for their is weird. SF typically has their summer in Sept so it wasn't as warm as it probably should be. It's so easy to pick out the tourists in the summer because they are the one's in SF sweatshirts and jackets they bought along the wharf because they didn't look at the weather before they came. It gets warmer inland, will be in the 80s tomorrow in San Jose and othet inland places but low 60s in SF.

After going to college here and living in the bay area a total of 7.5 years, I'm ready to go home tomorrow morning. Two days is enough. Next CA trip will be to Disneyland at some point.

Can't wait for Discovery Cove! I am going to get myself there someday

I'm not sure a lot of people outside the west coast know about Tillamook.
I totally forgot about their ice cream. I am from the Midwest but visited the factory tour in the OR coast. My youngest had his first ice cream cone there. He had no idea how to do it and tried to eat it sideways.
Thanks for the memory jog!

Gina, I can’t wait to read EVERYTHING about your Discovery Cove day!

Not sure abought the cookie dough, think I'd stick to an ice cream from Kilwins. We first went to Celebration as it was being built and have enjoyed going there on our visits ever since. It's a nice walk around the lakes. The town tavern is good and the Italian, D'Antonios.

Oregon is famous for cheese? :confused: I have so much to learn about this country!!!?

Omg - Tillamook cheese - we were introduced to this when we lived in wa state - SUOER GLAD the commissary sells it now -⎌ is the BEST cheese ever. The yogurt is amazing as well!!

It is now 2am cst and I want cheese - lol

I am looking forward to your Discovery Cove review. We are headed there for the first time in November.

I'm impressed that you're making costumes yourself. I am SO not creative that way!! Always impressed (and a little envious) of people who are awesomely crafty.

/QUOTE]
Don't be. I should clarify, my sister will be helping me make the costumes. She is super crafty, I can do it, but never can get started. She whips things up in an afternoon. She's the crafty one.

My next must-try at Disney Springs is a cupcake from Sprinkles. Have you been there yet as well?
Sprinkles is very good! Actually surprising good - I am not a huge cupcake fan and I really enjoyed it. Amorette's will always be my favorite though.

Is that football? If so, I'm about to get very confused by this conversation ;) :laughing:.

I feel like I should be googling who this guy is, and why people hate him so much!! :rotfl2:
This cracked me up-especially as they mixed sports too-Dallas stars are hockey while the other 2 are football. The Stars won the Stanley cup the years we lived in Dallas and our next door neighbor was a huge hockey fan-I often went with her when her son didn't want to go (her DH and other son had no interest). Still have my rally towel from playoffs...
Oregon is famous for cheese

I'm not sure a lot of people outside the west coast know about Tillamook cheese, but Target and Wal Mart
Tillamook does make the best cheddar-Sam's club sells the sharp cheddar in a huge block! I usually make sure I have that and the cheddar-jack in my fridge at all times.

So we are staying at Marriott Harbour Lake for our upcoming Universal trip. That resort had the check in date I needed-a rare Thursday check in. Otherwise I would have to find a room for Thursday night before the week started on Friday. It has been a quite a few years since we've stayed at Harbour Lake, but I love all the Marriott vacation clubs. And we have a 2 bed/2bath.

Tillamook does make the best cheddar-Sam's club sells the sharp cheddar in a huge block! I usually make sure I have that and the cheddar-jack in my fridge at all times.

I think we have 2 of the 1lb blocks in the fridge with another almost done My mom buys them when they go on sale because I'll always eat it before it goes bad. She doesn't eat it that often. Love to make mac & cheese with it, so good with the sprinkled cheese baked on top.

Just checked our car rental again this am - went down another $20 with the military discount, so booked through ebates with 2.5% cash back and the military leisure code and its under $260 for our 8 days - we also ended up canceling out MNSSHP Day and got the refund on that and it COVERS our car rental now with $6 leftover! Since I booked our rental in May (accoring to saved emails) we have saved $49.72 with canceing and rebooking

I am not a dairy person, period. I gag at the thought of milk. My dad still makes fun of me, saying I used to eat cheese fine (but no milk), until I was 3 or 4 And saw the sesame Street episode that they showed how cheese was made and I realized it was litterally moldy milk. To this day it makes me gag. Sometimes I can handle fake cheeses, and pizza, but that's it. The thought of just eating a piece of cheese . As I've grown ive found on a rare occasion I can do "goupy soup" (or whatever you called it)of sour cream, and sometimes yogurt. But that's as far as I'll stretch it. Even to this day, too much ice cream can making me pretty sick, because either I'm lactose intolerant or have developed a milk allergy. So I just avoid it all.

Also, ever since the wonderland visit, I basically keep a pint of cookie dough in my fridge so I can eat a spoonful whenever. Also, it's the real stuff, so bring on the raw eggs.

Lastly, I think we need to schedule a football game watch on Saturday when you're here (Utah vs UCLA on ESPN,to be exact) so I can teach you. Because not knowing who Brett Farve is....

So I have to ask......do you make your own cookie dough supply to keep in the fridge, or do you buy it pre-made? I'm thinking that's not a half bad idea :p. I have been known to eat peanut butter by the occasional spoonful :rolleyes: but cookie dough sounds even better.

As for the football game....that will be a big "thanks but no thanks" :rolleyes1. I'm a basketball and hockey girl.....baseball on occasion. Football is an American tradition that I just can't get on board with.

I'm not sure a lot of people outside the west coast know about Tillamook cheese, but Target and Wal Mart have been starting to sell it in other areas. Costco always has but huge portion. They make really yummy ice cream too.

SF has been windy and 60s. Yesterday was warmer. It was low 70s in Oakland for the ballgame today but windy which for their is weird. SF typically has their summer in Sept so it wasn't as warm as it probably should be. It's so easy to pick out the tourists in the summer because they are the one's in SF sweatshirts and jackets they bought along the wharf because they didn't look at the weather before they came. It gets warmer inland, will be in the 80s tomorrow in San Jose and othet inland places but low 60s in SF.

After going to college here and living in the bay area a total of 7.5 years, I'm ready to go home tomorrow morning. Two days is enough. Next CA trip will be to Disneyland at some point.

I would LOVE to visit California and go to Disneyland someday. Definitely on my bucket list. Of course, my bucket list is big enough now that it's more like a bathtub list :blush:. A bucket just won't hold all my dream destinations!!

It sure is cold there compared to what we are getting here in the north, though. We were in the low 90's all weekend and its not supposed to break until Thursday. One last blast from Mother Nature before fall arrives in earnest.

Can't wait for Discovery Cove! I am going to get myself there someday

Yes, you totally should! A good New Year's Resolution for 2019 ;) (if you don't make it there before!).

I totally forgot about their ice cream. I am from the Midwest but visited the factory tour in the OR coast. My youngest had his first ice cream cone there. He had no idea how to do it and tried to eat it sideways.
Thanks for the memory jog!

Gina, I can’t wait to read EVERYTHING about your Discovery Cove day!

I am going to do my very best to make some good progress on our DC day this week. We are heading home for a visit next weekend, so I need to be extra diligent in posting between now and Friday!!

Not sure abought the cookie dough, think I'd stick to an ice cream from Kilwins. We first went to Celebration as it was being built and have enjoyed going there on our visits ever since. It's a nice walk around the lakes. The town tavern is good and the Italian, D'Antonios.

Honestly, I know Steve would have rather had ice cream than the cookie dough too. Pretty sure we'll stick to Twistee Treat and Krispy Kreme from now on when the sweet cravings hit. I'm glad we tried it, but we won't be running back for an encore anytime soon.

Omg - Tillamook cheese - we were introduced to this when we lived in wa state - SUOER GLAD the commissary sells it now -⎌ is the BEST cheese ever. The yogurt is amazing as well!!

It is now 2am cst and I want cheese - lol

What were you doing up at 2 am, girl????? :confused:

I am looking forward to your Discovery Cove review. We are headed there for the first time in November.

So exciting!!! Are you doing the dolphin swim?

Sprinkles is very good! Actually surprising good - I am not a huge cupcake fan and I really enjoyed it. Amorette's will always be my favorite though.

This cracked me up-especially as they mixed sports too-Dallas stars are hockey while the other 2 are football. The Stars won the Stanley cup the years we lived in Dallas and our next door neighbor was a huge hockey fan-I often went with her when her son didn't want to go (her DH and other son had no interest). Still have my rally towel from playoffs...

So we are staying at Marriott Harbour Lake for our upcoming Universal trip. That resort had the check in date I needed-a rare Thursday check in. Otherwise I would have to find a room for Thursday night before the week started on Friday. It has been a quite a few years since we've stayed at Harbour Lake, but I love all the Marriott vacation clubs. And we have a 2 bed/2bath.

Football doesn't have the mass following in Canada that it does here in the US, so I guess I just missed the boat when it came to learning to truly appreciate football as a sport. I really only follow hockey and basketball because Steve and Jake are so passionate about both.....and Jake played both sports at fairly high levels for most of his youth. My favorite sport growing up was......journaling :rotfl2:.

I will definitely have to look in Sam's Club for that brand of cheese. While we have been Costco members since we moved to MI, we are brand new to Sam's Club (we literally just got a membership there last month). We don't generally eat THAT much cheese, but if it comes in a massive block, I'll just have to get creative so we can use it before it expires :blush:.
I am glad you were able to find such a great resort for your Universal trip! :banana: It's SOOOO nice to have all that space. And all the comforts of home!

I think we have 2 of the 1lb blocks in the fridge with another almost done My mom buys them when they go on sale because I'll always eat it before it goes bad. She doesn't eat it that often. Love to make mac & cheese with it, so good with the sprinkled cheese baked on top.

Mac and cheese.....one of my downfalls. And one of the (many) reasons I'll never be thin!!

Oh, why couldn't carrots taste that good? :sad2:

Just checked our car rental again this am - went down another $20 with the military discount, so booked through ebates with 2.5% cash back and the military leisure code and its under $260 for our 8 days - we also ended up canceling out MNSSHP Day and got the refund on that and it COVERS our car rental now with $6 leftover! Since I booked our rental in May (accoring to saved emails) we have saved $49.72 with canceing and rebooking

Woot! :woohoo: That's awesome news!! I checked mine, but prices have inched back up since I caught the downward dip a week or so ago. We're still sitting at $250 for our 8 days (mid-size SUV) so I guess I can't complain. It's a pretty decent rate even if it doesn't go down any further.....but I'm still holding out hope that we'll see prices wiggle down a bit more now that Labor Day is over.

How come you decided to cancel your MNSSHP? (if you don't mind me asking)

Just popping in to say Hi before I catch up on the pages I have missed in here. We left early Friday morning to go up to the lake where there is only spotty cell service and no wifi so I am behind. We had a wonderful weekend. Tomorrow dd starts a new college program, and ds who is my youngest starts high school. Everyone has anticipation anxiety going on and I’m just hoping I can sleep. I will catch up in here before bed and dream of vacation to calm myself . :goodvibes

Friday, May 11th: Discovery Cove :cloud9:

32313226_10156739600856416_6479787305157525504_n.jpg

Since alcoholic beverages are included with a day at Discovery Cove (along with breakfast, lunch, and snacks), we opted to Uber to the park so that we could enjoy as much as we wanted without the worry of driving. Our target was to arrive at DC just before 8 am for check-in, so we summoned an Uber right around 7:30 am. Our driver arrived at the resort to pick us up in less than 10 minutes :car: (we met him at the Fountains security gate to avoid him having to deal with gaining access past the gate attendant), and we were dropped off at the front doors to the check-in building right on schedule :thumbsup2.

32260542_10156739599691416_6181081439346360320_n.jpg

There were lots of people arriving at the same time as we were, but the check-in process was handled efficiently with every check-in desk staffed and processing incoming guests. I don’t think we waited more than 5 minutes before we were ushered over to a waiting team member who captured our photos and prepared our badges. Since we were repeat guests (this was our 7th visit, I think) there was very little park information that we needed to have reviewed for us, so we were given our lanyards and quickly sent on our way.

32224596_10156738440021416_8929163628867747840_n.jpg

32186362_10156738439936416_4843734855093059584_n.jpg

No matter how many times we visit Discovery Cove, we are always struck by its loveliness. The grounds are breathtakingly beautiful: the lush foliage, mature plants, and water features make you feel like you’ve been transported from a tourist mecca to a private island in the South Pacific. Despite being a theme park, it’s peaceful, quiet, and serene. I love the walk down the pathway from the check-in building to the Laguna Grill: it’s like you grow more relaxed with every step.

32260649_10156739600076416_4046753310533746688_n.jpg

32215503_10156739600381416_3569331287145578496_n.jpg

Up until this year, they used to have a park photographer take a family photo on the pathway into the park (of which you received a complimentary 6 x 8 print as part of your reservation), but sadly, that little perk is no more :(. It was such a nice touch.

32372838_10156739600496416_1669419827648790528_n.jpg

32294016_10156739600626416_5048875485426089984_n.jpg

32327698_10156739600986416_3084982843013595136_n.jpg

A Discovery Cove team member was waiting by the Guest Services building to provide directions and instructions to incoming guests: explaining the serving times for breakfast, where to pick up wetsuits, and where to find the complimentary lockers. We listened to her little spiel, then headed off to enjoy our morning meal before the water features all opened at 9 am.

32247226_10156739601181416_4708849306923171840_n.jpg

You could smell the yummy scent of breakfast emanating from the doors of the Laguna Grill as we approached. As tropical music (very specifically, the wonderful sounds of steel drums) streamed softly from the outdoor speakers, the smell of bacon wafted on the warm morning breeze. We headed inside to check out what the chefs had prepared for guests on this particular morning.

32239560_10156739601371416_7836944657991860224_n.jpg

Food is served cafeteria-style at Discovery Cove, with portions doled out as per guest request by serving staff behind clear glass partitions. I much prefer this style of buffet over where guests can serve themselves, because at least the number of hands in and near the food is kept controlled. I like to think it’s a cleaner way of doing things. Or, if not cleaner…..then “less dirty” :rolleyes:.

32294344_10156739601431416_12134304813416448_n.jpg

While breakfast is not gourmet by any stretch, there are some solid offerings and tons of different foods to choose from: even the pickiest eater (me!) can generally find lots and lots of things they’d enjoy from the varied selections. There are hot items such as bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs and home fries, fresh muffins, danishes and pastries, cold cereals and hot oatmeal, fresh fruits, hard boiled eggs, and several different flavors of yogurt. Beverages run the gamut from milk, juice, coffee and tea to soft drinks (and it always shocks me how many people drink pop for breakfast!!!). They also had mimosas for anyone over 21: they weren’t very good :rolleyes1, but they were made for us by the sweetest, most loveable young fellow…..so we did our best to try and like them.

32231140_10156739601726416_4169621093532827648_n.jpg

We enjoyed our breakfast at a leisurely pace, having a chat with a fun family from Ohio who sat at an adjacent table and enjoyed sparring over the Michigan-Ohio rivalry (Steve was wearing his Wolverines hat, while the dad at the other table was sporting a Buckeye’s cap). Once we had our fill, we headed off to pick up wet suits (we actually both selected the vests since it was such a warm day) and change into our swimwear. Securing our valuables in a locker and giving ourselves an initial healthy covering of sunscreen (the first of several on that sunny Friday), we were ready to go. And just in time, too……as I looped the rope for the locker key around my neck, the clock read 9 am and the Grand Reef, Free-flying Aviary, Wind-Away River, and Freshwater Oasis had now all opened for guests.

32235219_10156739601561416_1660457158614974464_n.jpg

Much more to come!

Just popping in to say Hi before I catch up on the pages I have missed in here. We left early Friday morning to go up to the lake where there is only spotty cell service and no wifi so I am behind. We had a wonderful weekend. Tomorrow dd starts a new college program, and ds who is my youngest starts high school. Everyone has anticipation anxiety going on and I’m just hoping I can sleep. I will catch up in here before bed and dream of vacation to calm myself . :goodvibes

Tomorrow sounds like a BIG day for everyone!!! Glad you had a relaxing weekend away....sounds like it was VERY timely, indeed ::yes::.

I'll be sending good thoughts your way for a smooth transition for both your kiddos as they embark on new adventures :goodvibes. First days are hard, especially for moms.

Are water shoes highly recommended or more of a preference?
I’m thinking now is a good time to pick some up on clearance for next April (for those of us that our feet are done growing...)
Any recommendations on type?

So I have to ask......do you make your own cookie dough supply to keep in the fridge, or do you buy it pre-made? I'm thinking that's not a half bad idea :p. I have been known to eat peanut butter by the occasional spoonful :rolleyes: but cookie dough sounds even better.

I do this, I mix up the chocolate chip recipe without the egg, just means less flour. Then I can snack as I like. However, my mom does sometimes buy the premade stuff to snack on. It's ok but I prefer the mix my own because it tastes better and I can control the amount so I can make less so it's around less time than the store bought. If I could just figure out a way to do this with brownie batter and maybe vanilla cake mix...

I will definitely have to look in Sam's Club for that brand of cheese. While we have been Costco members since we moved to MI, we are brand new to Sam's Club (we literally just got a membership there last month). We don't generally eat THAT much cheese, but if it comes in a massive block, I'll just have to get creative so we can use it before it expires :blush:.

You can freeze cheese. When I lived in NC and could only get Tillamook at Costco that's what I would do. They only sold it in the pre cut sandwich slices, still a medium cheddar not like Kraft American, so I would use the vacuum sealer to make smaller packages. I eat more when I have a block than the slices though, but I also got cheese for at least one birthday when was growing up from my grandma because I'd always eat cheddar for a snack.

Mac and cheese.....one of my downfalls. And one of the (many) reasons I'll never be thin!!

Oh, why couldn't carrots taste that good? :sad2:

Carrots are gross as are most vegetables and fruits close behind. I did successfully cut my mac & cheese recipe down to 1/4 size so I could make it in just a bowl and have it for dinner one night when I was craving it. Made me feel better than having enough for 3-4 more meals. And of course I added extra cheese to the sauce. I also use butter, so really homemade is better than the box because I'm using all real ingredients and it has dairy and a grain, so total food groups ::yes:: :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter