• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grateful, Thankful, Blessed: our 25th Anniversary SeaWorld Celebration (Spring ’18 TR)

Saturday, May 5th: Cinco de Mayo, continued

31947608_10156726349591416_1865054617318981632_n.jpg

We passed through bag check and the turnstiles and were quickly on our way into the park. We hadn’t seen T since our last visit in October, so there was a lot of chatter after the hugs and hellos concluded….so much so, that as we were walking and talking (and talking and talking :p) T stopped and said “I’m just walking, you know. I’m not really headed anywhere in particular. What did y’all want to see first?”. We had traveled a fair distance by that point and were kinda/sorta still heading in the general direction of The Land, so we opted to see what the lines were like at Soarin’: with no Fastpass for that ride [T had managed to snag us Living with the Land, Spaceship Earth, and Test Track for the day], we figured our best chance to ride would be early in the day before the crowds hit.

31944713_10156726349406416_4958115778420277248_n.jpg

Posted wait times were (I think) 25 minutes. Not bad at all for a headliner…..we tend to say anything under 30 minutes is a ride, anything over is a pass [with a few exceptions, of course]. Heading into the queue, it didn’t look like many people were in line ahead of us at all, and I’m pretty sure our actual wait was maybe 15 minutes long, and could have even been only around 10. Certainly not 25, so that was a lovely way to kick things off :cool1:.

31945262_10156726349726416_6700998453276704768_n.jpg

Steve and I *love* Soarin – the old version and the new. T’s not so crazy about the new version, but she was wonderful to indulge us anyway. It was an awesome ride. With awesome company :goodvibes.

After an obligatory rest room stop, T checked her app to see what ride options we had between the current time and our first Fastpass [scheduled for 11:15-12:15]. Frozen Ever After, one of the more popular Epcot rides and one that we didn’t get a chance to enjoy on our 2017 visit, was showing just a 15 minute stand-by time…..so that’s where we headed next. The last time we had been on the ride, it was still Maelstrom……and was January 2009. We were excited to see the changes since it was rethemed to FEA.

As we strolled through the park on our way to the German pavilion, Steve and T were kind enough to indulge me in some stops for photos. I was definitely a bit agog at the stunning topiary and floral collections that were on display for the Flower & Garden Festival. Not once did they complain…..all day!.....when I stopped to snap another picture. Bless ‘em both.

31939852_10156726349466416_1191613696745406464_n.jpg

31946067_10156726349521416_7447585308306046976_n.jpg

31959716_10156726349651416_4111735925204058112_n.jpg

While I haven’t yet seen the movie Frozen (insert shocked cat face here):

vet-visit-cat-01.png

…..we were both thoroughly entertained by the queue. Thankfully, T was as well: apparently she normally rides this particular ride with a Fastpass and misses all the fun details that the queue provides for guests. Again, the wait was pretty much spot on: if not 15 minutes, then *maybe* it was 20……but the time went by quickly ::yes::. Maybe it was the fun queue, maybe it was the fun company, perhaps it was a little bit of both. Either way, we were soon boarding our boat and heading off on the ride.

31948423_10156726350031416_945282096660742144_n.jpg

The ride? Super cute. T knew all the words to the songs, we did not :laughing:. We had fond memories of Maelstrom (we all enjoyed that ride on our first Disney trip many moons ago) and now, we have fond memories of Frozen :goodvibes. It made me vow to one of these days make a point of watching the movie.

31947255_10156726350201416_5814735924591853568_n.jpg

I also think that T would make an excellent “friend to” Ana, should she ever decide on a career change ::yes::. Just throwing that out there.

After the ride, we strolled around the gift shop for a bit. Steve was excited to learn that they had not removed the troll that he so fondly remembered from that first family visit: we got some fun photos of him and Jake with that massive statue back in 2009. That called for another picture! (any excuse will do, right? :rotfl:)

31954325_10156726350141416_6338742649331122176_n.jpg

After FEA, it was rolling toward 11 am, and we were all needing some refreshments as the temperature continued to rise to the high 80’s and the sun sparkled in that beautiful Florida sky. We opted to head over to the Mexican pavilion to cross another thing off the must-do list: beverages from the tequila bar :drinking1.

Being Cinco de Mayo, there were lots of other park-goers who had the same idea that we did. There was a healthy crowd gathered on the steps of the massive pyramid that adorns the entrance as we approached, so we seamlessly just mashed ourselves into the cluster of bodies for those final minutes before the clock struck 11 :crowded:.

31947659_10156726964241416_7148975190200811520_n.jpg

I’m not sure if it was due to it being Cinco de Mayo or if its something they do every day, but they had a little ceremony with songs by sombrero-wearing CM’s as to officially open the pavilion. Either way, it was festive and fun……I just wish I could have been able to see as much as we could hear. Ah, the life of a short girl :rolleyes:.

Pretty much that entire glob of human bodies all headed en masse to the same place: La Cava. Apparently, we all had tequila on our minds :o.

31956362_10156726964431416_6293000770887352320_n.jpg

While Steve and T joined the line and perused the drink menu, I took advantage of an otherwise mostly empty pavilion and plodded around with my camera in hand. It’s a pretty funky place in there.

31530510_10156726964276416_2949599177421619200_n.jpg

31957773_10156726964361416_7264378642161991680_n.jpg

The elaborately painted skulls were eye-catching, if not unsettlingly odd. I’m guessing they must mean something in Mexican culture? Certainly, if you’re looking for an item to bring home for a hard-to-buy for person who “has everything”, I’m thinking one of these might be just the thing! :rolleyes:

31944553_10156726964746416_522365914088210432_n.jpg

More to come……..

The elaborately painted skulls were eye-catching, if not unsettlingly odd. I’m guessing they must mean something in Mexican culture? Certainly, if you’re looking for an item to bring home for a hard-to-buy for person who “has everything”, I’m thinking one of these might be just the thing!
You must watch Coco!! Then the stuff in the Mexico becomes clear. Warning-tissues needed when watching Coco, but it is so worth it-great movie!
Nice that you got to do both Soarin and FEA with minimal waits. We snagged day of last minute FP on NYE for Frozen. Neither of us were terribly impressed-we liked the old ride better. We also did the M&G with Anna and Elsa LOL!. And they currently have the QS all torn up! I refuse to get my lefse until they reopen the proper bakery...Just not a huge Frozen fan. Moana was a much much better movie but it didn't have the princess buzz of Frozen...

Can't wait to hear your reaction to the margarita...Kinda know from FB but want to know more :)

I'm all caught up! We had a short weekend trip to Orlando(Universal). We visited DS and tried out Sapphire Falls. Beautiful resort. I even attempted a live TR- posted on the Universal boards. Your EPCOT day looks wonderful! Love Flower & Garden!

Looks like you've had a fantastic weather day at Epcot so far! When you said you were going to meet T at the Joffrey's stand I was surprised you didn't take that opportunity to try their delicious giant donuts. They are very Eric's favorite Disney food. lol

Great report so far :thumbsup2... I love the matching t-shirts. We get matching HP house shirts every time we go to Universal for the 4 of us and then DD and I get a matching HP tank top to wear on a day:goodvibes.. I love that being 16 she will still do stuff like that for her mom:cloud9:.

I really like the pics so far of Vistana. I told the family where we will be staying next year and will be excited to start showing them pics.:jumping1:

I must say you handled things so good about the power outage. Like you our fur babies are always on our minds while we are away. I agree 100% I am their mom and I need to make sure they are taken care of just as good as my human child :goodvibes. We always go in the summer so it is hot where we are as well. I usually leave fans on and let the kitty baby-sitters know they can use the a/c if necessary. I would be freaking out if we lost power and the kitties were uncomfortable. We don't travel in the winter months because I am always worried we will have a storm and our friends couldn't get to the babies:cat:

Our :car: would be about 18 hours but we have decided to stop in Virginia for a day and a half. We have season passes to Cedar point so we will stop at Kings Dominion. I think breaking the trip up a day or two on the drive each way will help. I started a PTR for my Universal portion over on that thread and have been getting good advice and support:-). I never wanted to drive before but I guess I am getting more daring in my old ageo_O.

I can't wait to finish reading about your Epcot day and Test Track. I started back on rides about 8 years ago and have had so much fun. So nice that you became friends with T and got to share a great day! We always try to meet new people when we are on vacation or anywhere else.

Nice to come home from vacation to your started trip report @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina ! We enjoyed our week in Paris but I'm glad to be home. Disneyland Paris is great, the themeing in fantasyland is so much better than wdw. Their studios park needs the love and additions it'll be getting in the coming years but I'm excited that Ratatoiulle is coming here, it's a fun cute ride. Their big thunder mountain is awesome, I wanted to pack it up and bring it home to one of our parks. Paris itself was also nice but I definitely didn't have that feeling that a lot of people have and while I would go back it's not going to push new places down the list like WDW does.

Next up is San Francisco labor day weekend so I can go to the Disney Family museum and see the Mariners play the A's in Oakland. Then WDW Nov 2-10 with the 6-10 part being solo which I'm looking forward to.

Welcome back!! I am so happy to hear that you had a great trip to Paris. What an amazing experience that must have been!! I'd love to see a photo or two if you're willing to share, especially of Disneyland Paris. And I'm curious now....what's different about their Big Thunder Mountain from the WDW version? I love, love, LOVE that ride and can't imagine it getting any better!

You sound like you have a pretty awesome second half of 2018 on deck :thumbsup2. And our autumn trips cross over by a day! You arrive on the 2nd and we head home on the 3rd. I don't suppose you'd be interested in a Dismeet? ;)

You must watch Coco!! Then the stuff in the Mexico becomes clear. Warning-tissues needed when watching Coco, but it is so worth it-great movie!
Nice that you got to do both Soarin and FEA with minimal waits. We snagged day of last minute FP on NYE for Frozen. Neither of us were terribly impressed-we liked the old ride better. We also did the M&G with Anna and Elsa LOL!. And they currently have the QS all torn up! I refuse to get my lefse until they reopen the proper bakery...Just not a huge Frozen fan. Moana was a much much better movie but it didn't have the princess buzz of Frozen...

Can't wait to hear your reaction to the margarita...Kinda know from FB but want to know more :)

Yes, I would LOVE to see Coco....have heard so much good feedback from that movie. I'm so behind on my Disney flicks: Steve and I just watched UP last night for the first time and it came out in....2009? Still have to see Inside Out too. I need more women in my life :rotfl:.

All my Facebook posts while on vacation totally blow it for these trip reports, don't they?

I'm all caught up! We had a short weekend trip to Orlando(Universal). We visited DS and tried out Sapphire Falls. Beautiful resort. I even attempted a live TR- posted on the Universal boards. Your EPCOT day looks wonderful! Love Flower & Garden!

You lucky girl!! How was the weather? And crowds? I hope you managed to see some sun in all the rain that has been hovering over Florida lately. Glad you had another chance to visit with your boy :goodvibes. Mine arrives here in MI in just over 48 hours and I'm almost beside myself with excitement! :hyper:

When is your next planned trip down?

Hello Gina:flower:
Really enjoying your trip report so far!!!! Great pictures:flower1:

Thank you @jump00 ! :welcome: aboard once again! Glad to have you reading along :).

Hey @Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina! I'm following, especially with my highly anticipated upcoming guest appearance!

Ha ha, absolutely! :teeth: And the good news is, that part of the report follows right after our Epcot day :thumbsup2. So stay tuned, y'all......and you will get to meet @JaxDad very soon!

Looks like you've had a fantastic weather day at Epcot so far! When you said you were going to meet T at the Joffrey's stand I was surprised you didn't take that opportunity to try their delicious giant donuts. They are very Eric's favorite Disney food. lol

They have donuts?!?!? :eek: Seriously?

And I didn't even notice :sad: .

Great report so far :thumbsup2... I love the matching t-shirts. We get matching HP house shirts every time we go to Universal for the 4 of us and then DD and I get a matching HP tank top to wear on a day:goodvibes.. I love that being 16 she will still do stuff like that for her mom:cloud9:.
Ireally like the pics so far of Vistana. I told the family where we will be staying next year and will be excited to start showing them pics.:jumping1:

I must say you handled things so good about the power outage. Like you our fur babies are always on our minds while we are away. I agree 100% I am their mom and I need to make sure they are taken care of just as good as my human child :goodvibes. We always go in the summer so it is hot where we are as well. I usually leave fans on and let the kitty baby-sitters know they can use the a/c if necessary. I would be freaking out if we lost power and the kitties were uncomfortable. We don't travel in the winter months because I am always worried we will have a storm and our friends couldn't get to the babies:cat:

Our :car: would be about 18 hours but we have decided to stop in Virginia for a day and a half. We have season passes to Cedar point so we will stop at Kings Dominion. I think breaking the trip up a day or two on the drive each way will help. I started a PTR for my Universal portion over on that thread and have been getting good advice and support:-). I never wanted to drive before but I guess I am getting more daring in my old ageo_O.

I can't wait to finish reading about your Epcot day and Test Track. I started back on rides about 8 years ago and have had so much fun. So nice that you became friends with T and got to share a great day! We always try to meet new people when we are on vacation or anywhere else.

Thanks @bobbie68 :goodvibes.

Your plan to break up the drive sounds like a fantastic idea to me :thumbsup2. Will you do something similar on your way home as well? Be sure to share the link to your PTR so some of my readers can pop over there and join in, too!

Your DD is so sweet to dress up on your park days, knowing how happy it makes her momma! You're raising a good girl there, my friend :goodvibes. We've often thought of doing the Harry Potter house T's on our Universal days but finding one large enough to fit Steve has been next to impossible!! They just don't come in a men's 3XL Tall :(.

The flowers and greenery look wonderful, I bet it was so colourful and beautiful.

It was simply stunning :worship:. I can only wish my back yard would look 1/1000th as good.

I wonder what they do with all the topiaries, though, after the festival is over? :confused3 I'll be gutted if they just run them all through the chipper and make mulch out of them :scared::scared:.

So...you've officially been on Frozen and New Soarin' more then me (I haven't done either ride/version yet)

Saturday, May 5th: Cinco de Mayo, continued

31948476_10156727040296416_7275504514424111104_n.jpg

While the lines at La Cava del Tequila were admittedly long, they actually moved along surprisingly quickly :thumbsup2. The bartenders were mixing and shaking and rolling people through the lines as additional CM’s helped manage people efficiently through the painfully small space. It was cozy, that’s for certain! :crowded: But it was managed chaos, and the atmosphere was so festive it was hard not to embrace the excitement of the day.

31946449_10156726964601416_8333131505165402112_n.jpg

T was skillfully directing a few folks in our immediate vicinity in how to access the drink menu via the app, which they all appreciated. When we did finally reach the bar, we had already decided on which drinks we all wanted, so we were able to give our order and be served quickly. One trio of specialty margaritas, please :).

31946706_10156726964501416_4588030592691470336_n.jpg

For T: Cucumber “Tequila Altos Reposado, Mezcal Montelobos, caramelized pineapple juice, basil, cucumber, served on the rocks with a Tajín chili powder rim”.

For Steve: Wild Passion Fruit “Tequila Blanco, ginger liqueur, passion fruit & mango purée, fresh lime juice, mango foam, served on the rocks with a Tajín chili powder rim”.

For myself (recommended by @Monykalyn ): Blood Orange “Tequila, orange liqueur, earthy sweet-tart mix of blood orange juice, wild berry foam. On the rocks with a Tajín chili powder on the rim”.

31530953_10156726964666416_1192100879180759040_n.jpg

Cheers to good times, good friends, and good memories!

31947741_10156726964956416_8733220327401717760_n.jpg

While I had enjoyed the opportunity to mill around and take pictures while Steve and T patiently held our place in the line for La Cava, they obviously did not….so with our beverages in hand, we strolled around the pavilion and soaked up the atmosphere as we sipped on our drinks. T can rock a sombrero like a boss!!

31525595_10156726964856416_2800912078263549952_n.jpg

I got the opportunity to sample all three of the drinks, and while I would have said before that I’m not a tequila girl, I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed my margarita. It was definitely potent :crazy2: (or, maybe I really am the lightweight that T likes to joke that I am? :laughing:) but it was TASTY. I could have done without the chili powder rim, but that's just me being picky. It didn't add anything to the drink itself (as far as taste went) and it just seemed to make my cup sticky.

I also really enjoyed Steve’s …. fruity is my ‘thing’, so the Wild Passion Fruit was also a win. T’s cucumber had a bit of an unusual consistency for my liking (it was thicker, almost like a smoothie) and while she swore she couldn’t actually taste the cucumber in it, I have to say it tasted “green” :scratchin.

That totally makes sense to me, by the way :p.

A very kind couple saw us taking pictures and offered to snap one of the three of us, which I thought was super sweet. It was an offer we couldn’t refuse. Say Cheese! :teeth:

31959309_10156726964806416_9046006796816220160_n.jpg

We eventually decided we should make our way back over to The Land so that we could use our Fastpasses before our window expired, so we headed back out into the sunshine with our drinks in hand.

31957178_10156726350321416_4583870964109934592_n.jpg

By the time we reached the entrance, that wonderful tequila was definitely starting to go to my head (and my legs, and my arms…….:o). Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :rotfl2:

Okay, so I really am a lightweight :rotfl:.

Sitting down in the boat for a bit would be a good idea :blush:.

31957734_10156726350416416_7480534892946653184_n.jpg

With our Fastpasses, we sped to the front of the queue and waited less than 5 minutes to board. I know it might sound weird, but I just adore this ride (I find some of their gardening techniques and concepts simply mesmerizing) so this is one of my Epcot happy places :goodvibes.

31946773_10156726350571416_4130259779849289728_n.jpg

31944869_10156726350776416_2580943537197547520_n.jpg

I think one of the things that I love about Living with the Land is that I notice something different every time we ride. I’m sure many of the displays don’t really change that much from year to year, but I seem to always be saying “Hey, that’s cool! I never noticed THAT before!”.

31969842_10156726350631416_3297716546029223936_n.jpg

31944269_10156726350691416_4681576509406707712_n.jpg

31958784_10156726350731416_1020248590443872256_n.jpg

31944597_10156726350971416_7019242224101621760_n.jpg

I loved the Mickey topiary, especially. Or maybe, since the flowers were pink, it was actually Minnie Mouse? :confused: Regardless, it was too cute for words.

31957212_10156726350476416_7086708571114569728_n.jpg

Disembarking from our peaceful cruise, we made our way back outside to find that it was starting to sprinkle. The showers that the weatherman predicted looked like they might roll in after all…..hopefully it wouldn’t wash out our plans for later in the day. We had Fastpasses for Test Track later that afternoon, and it would be a shame if rain caused us to miss out.

Much more EPCOT still to come!

Welcome back!! I am so happy to hear that you had a great trip to Paris. What an amazing experience that must have been!! I'd love to see a photo or two if you're willing to share, especially of Disneyland Paris. And I'm curious now....what's different about their Big Thunder Mountain from the WDW version? I love, love, LOVE that ride and can't imagine it getting any better!

You sound like you have a pretty awesome second half of 2018 on deck :thumbsup2. And our autumn trips cross over by a day! You arrive on the 2nd and we head home on the 3rd. I don't suppose you'd be interested in a Dismeet? ;)

I will post a few pics once I get them sorted through and cropped :) Their BTM is on an island so you start out by going underground/water to get to it and then go around the island and then back underground to unload. It was also smoother than the one in WDW. We didn't realize it did this at first so our first ride photo was great. We also rode it about in the middle, 2nd to last car (blah) and the first row and the middle was the best. I don't like the back 2 cars on any ride because it whips you around too much, and as I'm sure you can relate to, when you sit with someone that isn't the same size as you the lap bar can be problematic. I have a harder time keeping my butt in the seat in the back two cars than in the middle. I don't understand why they continue to think lap bars are sufficient when they don't fit everyone. Their space mountain goes upside down, which was fun, but I liked the harness because I could get it down tight so I didn't have to worry about coming out of my seat.

I'd love to do a dismeet but I'll be there with a friend so I'm not sure how well it would work. We have the HEA dessert party Fri night and Tusker House breakfast Sat morning. I land around 8 or 9 Fri morning and need to go activate my AP and then head to the expo to pick up my bib and stuff for the half that sunday and then meet up with my friend. We're staying at Pop again.

Glad you liked the margaritas!
Love the Land too. The behind the seeds tour is so fun as well. But I love my garden. I have several close up pics of a couple of those container gardens so hubs can reconstruct them for me. I actually think I have the pot sizes around here somewhere.

Up is a great movie, so is Inside out and Coco is a must. Yep you need a binge on Disney movies :rotfl: However all require tissues at some point, unless you want to blame someone is cutting onions, or as my hubs does "allergies"

Great pictures Gina :thumbsup2 I love the Land too, I love that WDW is so diverse that there's a bit of something for everyone, not just rides (well rollercoasters)

You lucky girl!! How was the weather? And crowds? I hope you managed to see some sun in all the rain that has been hovering over Florida lately. Glad you had another chance to visit with your boy :goodvibes. Mine arrives here in MI in just over 48 hours and I'm almost beside myself with excitement! :hyper:

When is your next planned trip down?

We were so nervous about Alberto moving in, but we had two sunny days and two cloudy days with some drizzle and a shower. So, the weather was fine!

Yay for Jake visiting!

We're hoping to go to Orlando for a weekend in July. Have to go to Ft. Lauderdale late June to help with older DS' move there.

Your plan to break up the drive sounds like a fantastic idea to me :thumbsup2. Will you do something similar on your way home as well? Be sure to share the link to your PTR so some of my readers can pop over there and join in, too!

Your DD is so sweet to dress up on your park days, knowing how happy it makes her momma! You're raising a good girl there, my friend :goodvibes. We've often thought of doing the Harry Potter house T's on our Universal days but finding one large enough to fit Steve has been next to impossible!! They just don't come in a men's 3XL Tall :(.

Thank you so much! Yes I am very blessed with my DD. She is awesome! She is a straight A student who likes to do things with us. She is a good girl in every sense of the word:goodvibes

https://www.disboards.com/threads/ptr-pbh-cl-june-july-2018-yay.3679377/#post-59287516 .... Thanks for the idea of posting my link. I love all the feed back I can get:thumbsup2

Yes we are going to leave my family in Cape Coral on a Friday morning and drive to North Carolina and stop at Carowinds on Saturday for a few hours. This is another Cedar Fair park. Then we will drive to Virginia/DC stay over Saturday night and drive to CT on Sunday morning. I want to get back as early as possible. This is our first time leaving our fur babies for two weeks.:scared1: As you can imagine with the multi-cat household I have there is lots to clean. I wouldn't have it any other way.:D

Thanks again for being so nice and inviting for people to join. I love making new friends and sharing all life has to offer! I can't wait for the rest of your report!:cool1:

img_3368-2-jpg.278859

I didn't get one with just DD and I with our shirts but have to this year!

img_3468-2-jpg.280261

As you can see DD's BF is a growing teen (in a good way!) I totally understand the size issue. He wears a 2X so it can be a little difficult at times to find what we like. We did manage last year with this style in one of the stores in the studios. I hope to find another set this year.:thumbsup2

Coco was such a good movie! Here is a link with pictures of explanations of the images used in the Mexico Pavilion. https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/coco-remember-me-exhibit-at-epcot-mexico-pavilion/

I don't remember them being there last Sept (but we rushed in and then out of the pavilion so I may have missed them), so I am not sure if they are there all the time, but it really helped explain the images in Coco. I have never liked marigolds in my garden, but now I have a new appreciation of them.

Loving the report so far! I really need to get planning my own Oct trip beyond the cruise part. Do you think that a rope drop to about 5pm at Sea World is worth it? We would be driving out to Port Canaveral from there and I don't want to be getting in there really late. Maybe we would have supper in the park and then head out. hmmm This all came up as DD's school schedule came out and we have just gained a day of vacation, so now I am trying to decide how to use it. DH would still like to drop the cruise, but DD is excited, and I kind of am too to try something different. There are just too many choices. :-) Especially after I read your trip reports of all the places I normally wouldn't even think of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter