Grateful, Thankful, Blessed: our 25th Anniversary SeaWorld Celebration (Spring ’18 TR)

I just started reading your trip reports and love them!!! I'm a fellow crazy canuck ( live in Northern Alberta ) and we are also celebrating our 25 wedding anniversary as well. I was promised a honeymoon trip for our 25th anniversary...but our DD is now engaged and getting married Next May in Mexico. So needless to say, I don't think our honeymoon trip will happen in the next year. But I will get a warm holiday which will be great. So glad to have found this trip report and able to comment and follow along :flower1:

Here at last..... Sounds like a perfect start and the SVR looks good as ever. The leg room was great for Steve on the plane. I too love the space, so at Christmas we have 1 week at POFQ and 2 weeks offsite so we can spread out for a bit!

Looking forward to your next update.

I am here I am here! I missed the update on the pretrip report, not sure why I don't get notifications on here most of the time! Anyway, glad you had an awesome trip and am excited to read all about it! We leave in 6 days so I may miss some of it until we return early/mid June but I will be sure to catch up soon! <3

Ah Joanna, you'll have to give it a go sometime ::yes::. There's no place like it in Orlando! The passmember rates are pretty decent, too.....especially when everything from food to sunscreen is included.

I still hold out hope that Jetblue will someday begin offering nonstops from Detroit to Orlando. While Frontier was a perfectly acceptable replacement, I'd book Jetblue in a heartbeat if a nonstop to MCO was an option.

I'm hoping to go in the next few months! If I can swing it, I'd love to go on a weekday next month (or if not, hope to go in Aug/Sept)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they do!

Friday, May 4th, the ending: all was calm, all was bright.

With the suitcases emptied, we felt settled in and very relaxed. Not at all weary, just calm and extremely chill :cool2:. Steve even turned off his phone….which, all on its own, created an aura of peacefulness that we don’t normally get a chance to enjoy. His work tends contact him 24/7 with issues and problems, so being “unplugged” felt like a vacation all on its own :worship:.

We briefly tossed around our options for dinner, and by mutual agreement we decided to head just up the 535 to the Crossroads and keep, at least partly, with day-one tradition: Sweet Tomatoes was calling our name. Neither one of us was craving anything heavy or greasy; instead we were yearning for something more low-key and mellow yet still satisfying. Normally, Sweet Tomatoes is the first meal we enjoy after our arrival, typically for a hearty but healthy lunch after an early morning flight. We had never been there for dinner before, so this would be a first for us.

It was definitely busier at Sweet Tomatoes than we had ever seen it before, enough so that it was almost a challenge to find an empty table. That always cheers me a little at a buffet restaurant. The food tends to be better when the restaurant is busier, as it doesn’t sit for long periods of time :thumbsup2. Lots of food being hauled away on customer plates, and fresh stuff being brought out.

The monthly flavor theme, not surprisingly, was Mexican. With Cinco de Mayo the following day (and seemingly quite a big deal in the southern USA), we rather expected that many of the dishes would have a bit of a spicy flair. I’m not a huge fan of spicy foods, but there were still lots of old standbys for me to enjoy. For the first time, I tried one of their baked potatoes: something that I love but always seems too heavy for our lunch visits, but perfectly fitting for an evening meal. Topped with fresh chili (spicy-flavorful but not spicy-hot) and some shredded cheese, and it was a big YUM.

33243624_10156763942991416_2463063993640550400_n.jpg

Since it was vacation and calories don’t count ;), I also indulged in a couple (okay, maybe a couple times two :blush:) of their warm mini muffins. These things are my absolute favorite Sweet Tomatoes treat: if I could, I’d pack my purse full of them and smuggle a supply back to the villa. I truly wish they’d offer some sort of ability to purchase a dozen to-go: I’d be first in line to purchase a sack ::yes::. Sweet Tomatoes, you’re sitting on a gold mine and don’t even know it.

33191582_10156763942951416_8499948223920603136_n.jpg

We both finished off with a frosty treat from their create-your-own sundae bar. I achieved the perfect balance of ice cream and toppings with a base of vanilla soft serve adorned with a crown of both hot fudge and hot caramel sauces. Since I was already going whole hog, I allowed myself to be lavish with the crushed cookie toppings :p. As a wise man once said…..YOLO! :laughing: (and I totally rationalized that I’d walk off that gluttony over the course of the week)

33138461_10156763942916416_6456525989915656192_n.jpg

We used a coupon that we downloaded from the internet, which meant that this delicious meal (which included two unlimited beverages) came to a whopping $25 plus tax. So inexpensive, I honestly almost felt badly using the coupon :o.

Almost :rolleyes:.

We moaned and groaned a bit as we shuffled back to the rental vehicle: we were SO full. We decided to walk off a bit of our overindulgences before heading back to the resort, and ran a couple of errands on our way. We stopped at one of the souvenir stores on 535 to pick up matching t-shirts for our Disney day the next morning, and at Walgreens to purchase a supply of necessities that we like to have on hand at the villa: bottled water, laundry soap, a few snack items, and of course, some adult refreshments. The hot tub is always relaxing, but even more so with a cold beverage or two. Gotta keep hydrated in the Florida heat :drinking1.

Back at the resort, we tossed the drinks into the fridge and made a quick change into our swimsuits. I was just tying up my hair when my phone jangled, and I noted with a bit of concern that it was our Pet Nanny. We had expected that she would check in at some point….the photos and texts on each visit are some of the things I love about their service……but I was a tad surprised that Morgan was opting to call when we had only left earlier that morning. While I was relieved to learn that all was well with the cats (and texts a few minutes later had their adorable furry faces filling my phone screen), she wanted us to know that our house was apparently out of power :confused:. The bizarre, freakish storm that had ripped through the airport earlier in the afternoon had blown through our neighborhood a short time later, obviously knocking down some power lines as it continued its path northward. She just wanted to make us aware, and asked if there was anything we wanted done for the cats considering the unexpected circumstances. We assured her they’d be fine, and predicted that the electricity would be back on by the time she arrived to give them fresh food and a littler clean-up the following morning.

It’s probably a good thing that I didn’t have any foresight on that first night of how that issue would play out :rolleyes2, otherwise it would have dampened the joy of our inaugural night in Orlando. More on that as this trip report unfolds.

Heading down to the Fountains pool area, we found that they were featuring a dive in movie in honor of “May the 4th" :darth: :chewy: :

31944634_10156726303301416_6469003028824326144_n.jpg

I thought it was a fun touch on the Vistana’s part :).

We headed up behind the waterfall and gratefully sank into the therapeutic heat and bubbles of the upper hot tub. We enjoyed some friendly conversation with two other families…..ironically, one from Ontario and one from Michigan, both of whom were headed home the next day……until our muscles were so relaxed that we feared we wouldn’t be able to walk back up the stairs to our third floor digs. We intentionally turned at a reasonable time – shortly after 11 pm – knowing we were going to meet @chiamarie at Epcot for park opening. Sleep came quickly and easy for both of us: it had been the most stress-free start of any trip we’d taken this far.

Coming up: topiaries, margaritas, and strapping on my big-girl panties at EPCOT!

31959716_10156726349651416_4111735925204058112_n.jpg

sent you a convo Gina!

Steve and I both got our autumn vacation dates approved today by our respective employers :banana:. Now we can go full speed ahead with the planning!

I just started reading your trip reports and love them!!! I'm a fellow crazy canuck ( live in Northern Alberta ) and we are also celebrating our 25 wedding anniversary as well. I was promised a honeymoon trip for our 25th anniversary...but our DD is now engaged and getting married Next May in Mexico. So needless to say, I don't think our honeymoon trip will happen in the next year. But I will get a warm holiday which will be great. So glad to have found this trip report and able to comment and follow along :flower1:
:welcome:, @Pumpkin1172 ! So great to have you along!

Happy 25th to you and your DH, and a big congratulations to your daughter! I can't think of a better reason to postpone a trip to Orlando than to see your little girl wed her prince in such a lovely tropical destination!!

Here at last..... Sounds like a perfect start and the SVR looks good as ever. The leg room was great for Steve on the plane. I too love the space, so at Christmas we have 1 week at POFQ and 2 weeks offsite so we can spread out for a bit!

Looking forward to your next update.

Well, its about time you finally showed up ;).

I hear ya on the need for space. One week in a hotel room is all I'd be able to stand, too. Remind me again, where did you pick for your offsite lodging? My brain has gone to mush, apparently :crazy2:.

I am here I am here! I missed the update on the pretrip report, not sure why I don't get notifications on here most of the time! Anyway, glad you had an awesome trip and am excited to read all about it! We leave in 6 days so I may miss some of it until we return early/mid June but I will be sure to catch up soon! <3
You guys must be getting SO excited!! :banana: Especially when y'all have so much to celebrate. A big congratulations to your beautiful young lady on her graduation! Her grad pics were stunning!!

Hopefully all the rainy weather passes by the time you arrive. I can't believe how wet it has been in Orlando this week :eek:. Surely you'll be in for an abundance of sunshine once the precipitation finally moves on.

I'm hoping to go in the next few months! If I can swing it, I'd love to go on a weekday next month (or if not, hope to go in Aug/Sept)

I'll keep my fingers crossed that they do!

Just be prepared, one you go once, you'll be yearning to go back again. It's habit forming! ::yes::

Very nice start to a trip. I thought of you guys when we drove by your resort this weekend. Someday maybe our dates will align lol! Although I told DH no big trips next year to save for our France trip in 2020.
When DD and I were trying to decide what to do Sunday I even looked up Capones mystery dinner- solely due to your trip reports! Ultimately we decided to just hang out as neither of us ended up feeling great.
And happy anniversary again!

Seriously, one minute it was fine and the next it was this crazy monsoon that ripped through with winds that carried the rain sideways and looked like it would push the plane right along with it. It raged for maybe 15-20 minutes (during which it completely flooded the tarmac) and then as quickly as it started, it stopped :confused3.

So weird.

It’s probably a good thing that I didn’t have any foresight on that first night of how that issue would play out :rolleyes2, otherwise it would have dampened the joy of our inaugural night in Orlando. More on that as this trip report unfolds.
Well after re-reading your dates I can understand what will probably be happening at home. I will comment later when you get to that part so that I don't spoil the party but I know what was happening here in Ontario so I can only guess what was happening at home.

You guys must be getting SO excited!! :banana: Especially when y'all have so much to celebrate. A big congratulations to your beautiful young lady on her graduation! Her grad pics were stunning!!

Hopefully all the rainy weather passes by the time you arrive. I can't believe how wet it has been in Orlando this week :eek:. Surely you'll be in for an abundance of sunshine once the precipitation finally moves on.

We are! The little one is on a permanent count down! lol Ok so are we :D Thank you, Friday is the big day, we're ready to get this show on the road!

I don't mind a little rain but no thanks on monsoon that has been there!

Well, its about time you finally showed up ;).

I hear ya on the need for space. One week in a hotel room is all I'd be able to stand, too. Remind me again, where did you pick for your offsite lodging? My brain has gone to mush, apparently :crazy2:.

We are staying in a townhouse at Windsor Hills, plenty of space, a small splash pool and a community pool and hot tub

Totally OT but our niece and her husband may be moving to Schenectady, NY state, anyone know this area? There may be a visit on the cards next year if they do go.

:wave: Wait! What!?! I am already behind, just happen to catch this today. Looks like I have some reading this evening! :thumbsup2

Very nice start to a trip. I thought of you guys when we drove by your resort this weekend. Someday maybe our dates will align lol! Although I told DH no big trips next year to save for our France trip in 2020.
When DD and I were trying to decide what to do Sunday I even looked up Capones mystery dinner- solely due to your trip reports! Ultimately we decided to just hang out as neither of us ended up feeling great.
And happy anniversary again!

Aw, I'm sorry to hear that you both felt under the weather on Sunday :(. That's so disappointing. I hope you guys recovered quickly from whatever was making you fee icky. Definitely keep Capone's as a possibility for a future trip....its well worth it!

When do you think you'll be venturing southward agani this year? Any chance you might pop down for a quick trip to visit your DD in late October??

France, WOW!! That will be an epic vacation. Will Disneyland Paris be one of your stops?

Well after re-reading your dates I can understand what will probably be happening at home. I will comment later when you get to that part so that I don't spoil the party but I know what was happening here in Ontario so I can only guess what was happening at home.

Ah, you guys too, huh? Mother Nature can be cruel sometimes :guilty:.

We are! The little one is on a permanent count down! lol Ok so are we :D Thank you, Friday is the big day, we're ready to get this show on the road!

I don't mind a little rain but no thanks on monsoon that has been there!

Hey, I'm already counting down until our next trip, and its still 154 days away :rotfl:. So I totally understand K's mania!! :goodvibes

We are staying in a townhouse at Windsor Hills, plenty of space, a small splash pool and a community pool and hot tub

Totally OT but our niece and her husband may be moving to Schenectady, NY state, anyone know this area? There may be a visit on the cards next year if they do go.

Ah, right! I knew you had told me, but my mind is like a sieve these days :rolleyes:.

Never been to Schenectady, but I must admit, the city name is unbelievably fun to say :p. It's like it tickles the tongue!

:wave: Wait! What!?! I am already behind, just happen to catch this today. Looks like I have some reading this evening! :thumbsup2

Well, if someone didn't spend her weekend celebrating her birthday :cake: and watching the Royal wedding, she wouldn't have missed the beginning of this report ;). Ha ha!

Glad to have you reading along, my friend :goodvibes. We need to make a dinner date!! Let me know if you guys are free anytime over the weekend. We'll need a break from yard work :faint:.

So I've heard! Of course...that may not be a bad thing

There are definitely worse habits you could have! :laughing:

So, I didn't manage to carve out enough time in my day to type a trip report entry, but I did make some progress on the planning of our next trip! Steve and I both received approval of our vacation dates from our bosses yesterday, so its full speed ahead in planning for fall.

Airfare is officially purchased :thumbsup2, the Vistana is booked :thumbsup2, an initial car rental reservation has been made :thumbsup2 (rates are AWFUL but I expect that they will drop at least somewhat over the next 5 months) and we splurged and purchased Ultimate tickets to the Return to Sleepy Hollow event at Fort Wilderness (which includes the dessert party afterward :thumbsup2). In addition to the Sleepy Hollow tickets, I also made an ADR for Trail's End, so we can make a full night of it at the Fort (possibly even squeezing in some time at Chip & Dale's Campfire Singalong between dinner and the movie/dessert party, if our timing is right).

Funny story about when I called to book the Return to Sleepy Hollow. A wonderfully nice CM checked availability, confirmed whether I wanted the 8 or 10 pm showing, reviewed the terms and conditions of ticket purchases, and all the other obligatory details as she was mandated to do. When it came to finalizing the purchase, she asked for my name, phone number, email, street address, etc. I think she thought I was pulling her leg when, at the point of providing my address, she says, "Street Name?". I replied "Sleepy Hollow". A very noticeably pause before she says, "Really?" and then had a good laugh at the irony :rotfl:. She was still giggling as she processed the balance of the transaction, remarking "What are the chances of that?".

Our official dates are Friday, October 26th to Saturday, November 3rd. I know we overlap with @verleniahall , and hopefully a few others as well. @Joanna71985 , we'll definitely plan to say hello that week since we missed seeing you earlier this month. @chiamarie , we'll be taking you to dinner again that week so save the dates! (Steve is already talking about a return trip to Kobes ...... you've created a monster :rotfl2:).

We do have to secure one additional night's stay as we're there for 8 nights but our ownership week at SVR is only for 7. We're still toying with whether or not we should get an inexpensive night at somewhere like the Drury Inn, or just pay the $ and add on an additional night at the Vistana and not have to move. I'll have to check and see if anyone is offering a decent one-night rate for October.....maybe AAA will have a good price.

Hopefully, I'll have another trip report entry up within the next day or two!

Sounds like your ready to pack already! What's the Sleepy Hollow event? That's something that's passed me by as I've never heard of it.

We love FW and are planning a visit over Christmas to see the camper decorations.

:rotfl:I truly did spend the entire day watching the royal wedding, the recap, the fashion recap and the recap of the recap!

I would love to squeeze in a visit during your October trip. Rich has a meeting with the union today so if he is back to work sooner than planned we may be in luck!

Sounds like your ready to pack already! What's the Sleepy Hollow event? That's something that's passed me by as I've never heard of it.

We love FW and are planning a visit over Christmas to see the camper decorations.
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that you both felt under the weather on Sunday :(. That's so disappointing. I hope you guys recovered quickly from whatever was making you fee icky. Definitely keep Capone's as a possibility for a future trip....its well worth it!

When do you think you'll be venturing southward agani this year? Any chance you might pop down for a quick trip to visit your DD in late October??

France, WOW!! That will be an epic vacation. Will Disneyland Paris be one of your stops?

Ah, you guys too, huh? Mother Nature can be cruel sometimes :guilty:.

Hey, I'm already counting down until our next trip, and its still 154 days away :rotfl:. So I totally understand K's mania!! :goodvibes

Ah, right! I knew you had told me, but my mind is like a sieve these days :rolleyes:.

Never been to Schenectady, but I must admit, the city name is unbelievably fun to say :p. It's like it tickles the tongue!

Well, if someone didn't spend her weekend celebrating her birthday :cake: and watching the Royal wedding, she wouldn't have missed the beginning of this report ;). Ha ha!

Glad to have you reading along, my friend :goodvibes. We need to make a dinner date!! Let me know if you guys are free anytime over the weekend. We'll need a break from yard work :faint:.

There are definitely worse habits you could have! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter