• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grey walls are really popular now

Our upstairs hallway walls are grey. I love grey, but was afraid to paint any of our rooms that color because some hues are not warm enough for me.

I have moved from a warm dark brown to light grey in our main areas. We have white doors and trim, though. Maybe you could start with one wall that has a door to see if you like it, or think you soon grow to like it.

I like it because in certain light, it pulls a little blue. It is a rich color, in my opinion. We also used a bit of Sherwin Williams High Tea in other rooms too, and they flow well together.

I guess that is what is stopping me from using grey in our house - it seems like most greys have cool undertones and I'm going for warm colors. I love the look but for our house I am paying someone to paint and don't want to get it wrong.

I've done grey in my last 3 houses because a grey nuetral has been popular since like 2007. I like really cool colors, so my house is mostly grey, with a sage/grey green (also cool and nuetral) and a light blue that is the least neutral but provides great flow with all the other cool colors. I hate warm colors and mine are all very modern. My mom and I could have more different tastes. My house is a brick colonial with awnings on the outside but modern layout and design inside and all of my furniture is modern, with LOTS of mid century modern pieces (Knoll is a problem!), very few knick knacks, art not photos, etc. I love it. My mom thinks its too cold. Could be the cement?

Yep. We painted our master bed and bath grey when we bought the house 9 years ago and I went with a lighter shade than I should have. I'm about to repaint it with a medium grey. Our kitchen is also grey, but more of a taupy grey. I love grey.

Great news! I painted the walls in my family room grey 20 years ago. I must have been ahead of my time! :p

I've had some grey rooms in three different houses over the past 25 years too. I've always liked grey.

Currently my foyer, living room, stairway, and upper hallway are grey.

I love grey. It comes in so many different shades, and nearly all of them can be a neutral for any decorating style or color scheme.
Five years ago we painted a guest room Sherwood Williams light French grey. It looks outstanding. And the guest bath was painted a more taupe/grey from the Martha Stewart collection at Home Depot.
I just had the general house, meaning all connected rooms and hallways, stairwell upper halls painted Sherwin Williams Sea Salt.
Looks amazing. Depending on the light time of day the color sort of evolves. Looks like a Pottery Barn cover! Which is my style.

We just painted our front hall (upper and lower) and family room Sea Salt. The kitchen is Comfort Gray, the next color down on the color strip. The rooms, like yours, are all connected and they look fantastic together. LOVE Sea Salt and the subtle changes during the day.
I painted my kitchen 50% Spare White which is a gray green and painted all my doors and their trim on the lower level with Sea Salt. We have some beadboard yet to put up in the kitchen that will also be Sea Salt. It's a great color!

We painted our main living areas White Moderne with bright white trim. It's a "greige," I LOVE it!
IMG_6178.JPG
As a photographer there's nothing better than being able to grab a white balance from your wall. :rotfl2:We also banished all beige and brown from our house and went with gray carpet, white washed wood look porcelain tile, off white cabinets (cherry entertainment center) and gray quartz counter tops. My couch and recliner are dark gray, coffee table, end tables and ceiling fan weathered woods and I have an accent chair that is light gray with green, teal and yellow. I have pops of yellow, sea foam, red, teal, green etc. everywhere. The great thing about a neutral gray is you can put anything in there.

Last edited:
We painted the wainscoting of our lower level family room medium grey when we first bought our house, with the top part of the wall white and complementary furniture. We loved it. Then when we had kids we changed it out as it became mainly their room. We're now ready to renovate the room again and we're going back to grey with a barn-type theme. Can't wait to get it done. DD did her room over last year in a grey-green and got new, modern furniture and it looks really nice, too. The rest of our house has either neutral or warm colors.

Gray has been a pretty popular neutral for awhile and it does seem to be more popular than beige now. Lots of homes for sale are being painted gray as their neutral, I've noticed. Which is good for people that prefer it!

We used gray in the last 2 homes we purchased, as I prefer coastal/bright/clean decor with lots of white, blues, and greens and it works well with that. Grays with a warm undertone are also easy to find, too. My childhood home was more warm tones and my mom chose gray carpet - guess she was ahead of her time ;)

I have a lot of Comfort Gray in my house - it's a fantastic neutral. And a bathroom in Sea Salt!

We redecorated our main bathroom last year in Gray and white. The floor is a Gray washed wood plank look (picture an old barn floor), vanity, tub and toilet white, "Gray Forest" granite, white wainscoating and soft Gray walls above. It is beautiful and I can add different pops of color depending on the time of year.

I have always been a fan of gray, I have red hair with pale skin and Gray is one of my go to colors.

Gray has been a pretty popular neutral for awhile and it does seem to be more popular than beige now. Lots of homes for sale are being painted gray as their neutral, I've noticed. Which is good for people that prefer it!

We used gray in the last 2 homes we purchased, as I prefer coastal/bright/clean decor with lots of white, blues, and greens and it works well with that. Grays with a warm undertone are also easy to find, too. My childhood home was more warm tones and my mom chose gray carpet - guess she was ahead of her time ;)

I have a lot of Comfort Gray in my house - it's a fantastic neutral. And a bathroom in Sea Salt!
All hail Sea Salt, lol!

Grey actually works VERY well with different shades of beige, brown, tan, etc. It also looks great with wood!

We don't have grey walls, but we have what I would say are "Sand" colored walls, with white baseboards and crown molding (and white doors). Our FLOOR is wood-look tile, with a grey hue. Much of our furniture is either dark espresso type brown, or walnut brown, but we have some white and black furniture as well. We have a tan couch, grey ottoman, and a rug we bought at Ikea that ties everything together that has large squares of black, grey, cream, and tan. It looks really nice. The upstairs area has a grey/brown colored carpet. It all looks really good.

The house was built in 2015 and the paint, floor, and carpet are considered "designer upgrades." We are renters, so we didn't choose the colors or anything, but it really does work very well.

There are so many shades of grey, I think you can work it into almost any room. We just redid our kitchen, and left all our trim oak. The first shade of grey we bought, almost looked purple on the walls (but not on the sample card that it matched). We hated it, bought a different grey that had more of a slight tannish color to it, and we love it! We are now using the other grey to paint our bedroom, doesn't look purple at all up there.

We just painted DS' room grey - specifically OSU Grey as he wanted his Buckeyes room, so accented in red. My parents moved into a new house 3 years ago and one of their bathrooms is grey there and I like the looks of it

I love grey. It comes in so many different shades, and nearly all of them can be a neutral for any decorating style or color scheme.
Five years ago we painted a guest room Sherwood Williams light French grey. It looks outstanding. And the guest bath was painted a more taupe/grey from the Martha Stewart collection at Home Depot.
I just had the general house, meaning all connected rooms and hallways, stairwell upper halls painted Sherwin Williams Sea Salt.
Looks amazing. Depending on the light time of day the color sort of evolves. Looks like a Pottery Barn cover! Which is my style.

We have now lived in our house for 6 months. I painted a craft room yellow but every other room in the house is light french gray. I kinda wish I went a little darker but I do love the gray. Looks nice in my sons room with his car theme and looks nice in my daughters room with her coral colors.

We love grey in our house. Our bedroom is painted grey with our bedding and light fixture being black and white. Our kitchen is grey with pops of eggplant and our stairway and upstairs hallway are a different shade of grey. We are looking for a good shade for our living room

Most of my apartment is grey, even the kids' rooms. I love it. It seems the current design trend is more "transitional" - a little bit traditional with a modern edge, and grey goes along with that. It looks great with navy, orange, yellow, metallics. I was sick of browns anyway.

I've been fighting the beige trend for 20+ years since we went with grey carpet on our entire first floor. Maybe I'll have an easier time buying furniture again. ;)
:thumbsup2I'm anti-beige too. I have 33 paint colors in my house and zero beige.

I've had grey as far back as my childhood bedroom -- it's my favorite color. Currently, my kitchen is a medium-dark grey and the master bedroom is light grey.

We just built a new home. The walls throughout are Sherwin Williams Agreeable Grey. I love it. Each room has a different style based on the color accents I chose. Grey goes with everything! While it is a cool color, warm accents make the rooms very inviting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter