• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Grumpy Challenge 2017.... A Marathon Weekend TR (Updated 3/19 Final Thoughts)

I love all of your pictures from Festival of the Lion King! That show really is so colorful and vibrant ... you can never have too many pictures of it.

Congrats to the Mickey Mile runners! Your sister is a trooper for running part of the race without a shoe!

I love all of your safari pictures - you saw some great animals. I'm jealous that you got to see the baby elephant ... that's so cool!!
Yes, that's why I love it so much.

She couldn't stop telling people that she lost her shoe during the race.

Yes I was so excited to see that new baby elephant!

Your pictures are phenomenal! It really makes my crappy iPhone pictures look even crappier haha

I love that you love AK. That park is so great! And Lion King is an amazing show. I didn't get to see it this last trip, and your pics are making me wish I did!

Your pictures are phenomenal! It really makes my crappy iPhone pictures look even crappier haha

I love that you love AK. That park is so great! And Lion King is an amazing show. I didn't get to see it this last trip, and your pics are making me wish I did!
You can actually take some pretty good iPhone photos if you work at it. I used my iPhone for photos more than my DSLR this trip.

AK is just so incredibly detailed.

Finally get around to catching up on the DIS after Light Side weekend! Great start to your TR, really enjoying the photos especially.

So I see that you all tried the nachos in Mexico - did they seem much more spicy to you than normal? I only ask because the last time DH and I got them (a few months ago on a day trip), we could barely finish them working together. I downed a mango margarita in the valiant effort, too.

The fish and chips are a lot different than the Wisconsin fish fries I remember (ohhhhh, so good) - the trick is to sprinkle malted vinegar over it and it is fantastic! If you didn't get a chance to do that, you can always try it some Friday night up there! :)

We didn't get a chance to see the Christmas tree trail or drone show, so thanks for posting all the photos!

And great 5K recap!

Finally get around to catching up on the DIS after Light Side weekend! Great start to your TR, really enjoying the photos especially.

So I see that you all tried the nachos in Mexico - did they seem much more spicy to you than normal? I only ask because the last time DH and I got them (a few months ago on a day trip), we could barely finish them working together. I downed a mango margarita in the valiant effort, too.

The fish and chips are a lot different than the Wisconsin fish fries I remember (ohhhhh, so good) - the trick is to sprinkle malted vinegar over it and it is fantastic! If you didn't get a chance to do that, you can always try it some Friday night up there! :)

We didn't get a chance to see the Christmas tree trail or drone show, so thanks for posting all the photos!

And great 5K recap!
Thanks for catching up!

I don't have the nachos enough to know if they were spicier than normal. They didn't seem that spicy to me.

I've never heard of that, I'll have to try it!

Ohana is oh so good but maybe not so good

Soon enough we were at The Polynesian Village Resort. My mom was already there and had checked us in. While waiting we looked around in the gift shops and such.

Hello Tiki guy! I know he has a name but I don't know what it is.

Then we were finally called to be seated. We were seated at a table near the entrance so we didn't have a view of pretty much anything. Our waiter brought over bread. Then we started with our first food item. The salad.

It was quite good. I didn't want to have a lot so I could save room for other things.

Then we were brought our first big plate of food. For those of you that don't know Ohana is a family style restaurant so they bring large platters of food to your table. If you want more of a certain item they will bring you more.

The Potstickers, wings, and noodles. Now I really liked the wings. I had probably 4 of those. The noodles and potstickers were good but not my favorite.

Unfortunately that is where my photos end for the main portion of the meal. We were brought chicken, steak, and shrimp next. I don't eat shrimp but I had chicken and steak. My mom and grandma enjoyed the shrimp though. The steak and chicken were quite good as well.

Finally it was time for our dessert.

Banana Bread Pudding. Oh so good! However I stuffed my face with everything else I couldn't finish dessert. I also had a bad stomach ache the rest of the night.

And that settled that. I would definitely go back to Ohana again but maybe not during a race weekend. I shouldn't eat like that during a race weekend. Luckily it was before one of the shorter races than the bigger ones.

After that my grandma and I headed back to the hotel. I had a race to get up for! My mom, sister, and two of our friends went over to the Magic Kingdom for a bit.

Up Next: IT'S 10K TIME!

Interesting review of 'Ohana. I've read different ones and people seem to either love it or not so much. I've done 'Ohana but only for breakfast, which I enjoyed.

I also have a problem over eating at these type meals. It wasn't such a big deal when I was younger, but once you hit the big 4-0 all that food goes directly to your waist. (Just a heads up there Ryan! :p)

Interesting review of 'Ohana. I've read different ones and people seem to either love it or not so much. I've done 'Ohana but only for breakfast, which I enjoyed.

I also have a problem over eating at these type meals. It wasn't such a big deal when I was younger, but once you hit the big 4-0 all that food goes directly to your waist. (Just a heads up there Ryan! :p)
Ohana was quite good I just wouldn't do it the night before a race again. It's too filling.

That's why I run ;)

Ohana was quite good I just wouldn't do it the night before a race again. It's too filling.

That's why I run ;)
I also have had good experiences there. Folks complained about the steak being overdone. I requested some medium rare and they provided it without question. I would definitely recommend it and go back but the ADRs remain elusive.

I also have had good experiences there. Folks complained about the steak being overdone. I requested some medium rare and they provided it without question. I would definitely recommend it and go back but the ADRs remain elusive.
Definitely. I thought the food was well prepared.

Great TR Ryan! Awesome pictures in every update, it makes me so excited to be going down for Marathon Weekend 2018! Can't wait to read the rest.

Nice pictures - especially from the safari and from FOTLK!

We like 'Ohana but I think not as much as others- I always find it inconsistent between meal-to-meal and sometimes even within a meal. And funnily enough last time we went they didn't bring chicken around from the skewers, but did have pork - so not sure if that changes as well

I can definitely see that maybe not being the best meal in the middle of a race week - sometimes walking out of there is hard enough!

Nice pictures - especially from the safari and from FOTLK!

We like 'Ohana but I think not as much as others- I always find it inconsistent between meal-to-meal and sometimes even within a meal. And funnily enough last time we went they didn't bring chicken around from the skewers, but did have pork - so not sure if that changes as well

I can definitely see that maybe not being the best meal in the middle of a race week - sometimes walking out of there is hard enough!
Thanks!

Interesting. Well this was my first time there so I wasn't able to compare experiences but I would go back again.

I think it's hard to find restaurants to eat at during race weekend. You really have to be careful and eat things that you know won't bother your stomach or affect your running. Which can sometimes be difficult. I hope you get a chance to go back to Ohana at some point when you're not running a race the next day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter