• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Guardians of the (Epcot) Galaxy

Marvel is a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company. Operated separately. Would Walt have wanted just Disney movies or anything he would have owned in his parks. I cant answer that. Pretty sure you cant either.

Walt died 50 years ago.

Times have changed immensely. Walt would have adapted to the times. He was too smart not to.

I'm not really sure. Big Hero 6 had no marvel branding in it. I don't think they would be able to use Iron Man in an animated film and then be able to use him in the parks. There are likely only certain exceptions to this. Big Hero 6 would've probably been able to be used in the parks before it was a Disney studios film.
What about Stan lee? In the comics silver surfer is part of the team

I know that, but I don't get specifically what he wants from them.

I want a roller coaster with metal sides so Disney can slap a magnet advertising whichever superhero movie that comes out next month. Easy and cheap

Hey @rteetz just wondering what you thought of Pete's comment on the DIS Unplugged podcast today. The discussion briefly touched on Universe of Energy being turned into a Guardians ride. Pete made a comment "that's been debunked" but then the topic shifted again and he never elaborated. I thought the rumors were pretty strong that GoG was coming to Epcot, or did I miss something?

Hey @rteetz just wondering what you thought of Pete's comment on the DIS Unplugged podcast today. The discussion briefly touched on Universe of Energy being turned into a Guardians ride. Pete made a comment "that's been debunked" but then the topic shifted again and he never elaborated. I thought the rumors were pretty strong that GoG was coming to Epcot, or did I miss something?
I must've missed when Pete said that. I don't know where he got that info because as far as I know guardians in Epcot is still being heavily considered.

A Big Hero 6 ride/Pavilion seems like it would fit better into Epcot...could do a pavilion on robotics and the science and tech involved.

I must've missed when Pete said that. I don't know where he got that info because as far as I know guardians in Epcot is still being heavily considered.
It's possible I misheard it or misunderstood. I was watching at work (shhh...don't tell).

I just re-watched, if you're on YouTube it's at the 44:50 mark during rapidfire. Kevin mentioned it and Pete said the idea was de-bunked, but he really didn't elaborate on it.

It's possible I misheard it or misunderstood. I was watching at work (shhh...don't tell).

I just re-watched, if you're on YouTube it's at the 44:50 mark during rapidfire. Kevin mentioned it and Pete said the idea was de-bunked, but he really didn't elaborate on it.
Well unless he's heard something I haven't it's still on the table.

I went back and listened and it seems to me Pete thinks that there was confusion with ToT guardians in DCA and possibly guardians in WDW. I think Pete just thinks it's debunked.

I know I just read this on screamscaoe but they gave a source here and a pretty good one at it (stitchkingdom, not sure how reliable they are for theme park rumors but they hunt down a lot of things online and I've used it a lot and found it to be very reliable for what they said). They found a audition for someone to play doctor strange around the time the movie comes out. Apparently they're looking to do this for the Florida parks. So apparently doctor strange is not being used by islands apparently and falls into the same loophole as guardians and big hero 6. Any thoughts?

I guess. But they are getting away from what made them great. The imagination is going away. They don't imagine as much as they used to, now they just buy what they want.

I don't understand why the only imagination Disney gets credit for is for creating originally-themed rides. Isn't there a chance that Disney could create an imaginative attraction based on an existing IP? I know, in this era of slashing budgets there's more of a chance the attraction gets dumbed down as the plans are executed. But I'm not willing to write off a new attraction simply because Disney is using an IP at Epcot. The overall Epcot theme was lost years ago (can someone, anyone, tell me how Finding Nemo fits in Future World?) and at least GotG fits the futuristic/space traces of themes that remain in Future World. And lord knows the park could use a few new E-ticket attractions, so I'll see a splashy new GotG coaster as a good first step.

A Big Hero 6 ride/Pavilion seems like it would fit better into Epcot...could do a pavilion on robotics and the science and tech involved.
Isn't there the chance that Disney is doing at Epcot what it's doing at DCA? Starting by rethemeing an existing attraction to GotG/scrapping existing attraction to build GotG attraction and then subsequently adding other Marvel properties around it -- in Florida's case, that could include a Big Hero 6 attraction or eventually a Dr. Strange attraction.

I know I just read this on screamscaoe but they gave a source here and a pretty good one at it (stitchkingdom, not sure how reliable they are for theme park rumors but they hunt down a lot of things online and I've used it a lot and found it to be very reliable for what they said). They found a audition for someone to play doctor strange around the time the movie comes out. Apparently they're looking to do this for the Florida parks. So apparently doctor strange is not being used by islands apparently and falls into the same loophole as guardians and big hero 6. Any thoughts?
I posted the direct link to the doctor strange audition a few days ago in the news round up thread. Doctor strange will be used in a show of sorts rather than s meet and greet but yes he will be in WDW.

Walt died 50 years ago.

Times have changed immensely. Walt would have adapted to the times. He was too smart not to.

I agree.

I also find debating what Walt would have wanted in the parks a bit of a moot point. If Walt really got what he wanted we would only have (to my knowledge) Disneyland in Anaheim, Magic Kingdom in Orlando, that ski/sports resort he was talking about (maybe in Virginia but I could be getting my facts confused), and EPCOT. Actual EPCOT, not theme park EPCOT.

"What Walt would have wanted" really doesn't come into play when talking about current Disney (specifically Walt Disney World) property because there would never have been the EPCOT, Disney's Hollywood Studios, or Animal Kingdom we have today.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm sure more resort type areas would pop up across the country, as well as potentially overseas but, from everything I've read, Walt had already done a Theme Park and he was always about doing something new and different. He only agree'd to build Magic Kingdom in Orlando to help pay for his EPCOT, and also so the residents of EPCOT had a destination of their own.

Last edited:
I went back and listened and it seems to me Pete thinks that there was confusion with ToT guardians in DCA and possibly guardians in WDW. I think Pete just thinks it's debunked.

I recall at one point Pete got confused or was limping together Guardians at Wonders of Life vs at Energy and so not sure if he has it straight the latest rumors... though also possible he knows something as he does have some connections

Guess just saying because he said that doesn't mean it is 100% true as he might have the locations/rumors mixed up

I recall at one point Pete got confused or was limping together Guardians at Wonders of Life vs at Energy and so not sure if he has it straight the latest rumors... though also possible he knows something as he does have some connections

Guess just saying because he said that doesn't mean it is 100% true as he might have the locations/rumors mixed up
Yep, thats what I am thinking.

Sounds like a good fit for Innoventions.

I don't understand why the only imagination Disney gets credit for is for creating originally-themed rides. Isn't there a chance that Disney could create an imaginative attraction based on an existing IP? I know, in this era of slashing budgets there's more of a chance the attraction gets dumbed down as the plans are executed. But I'm not willing to write off a new attraction simply because Disney is using an IP at Epcot. The overall Epcot theme was lost years ago (can someone, anyone, tell me how Finding Nemo fits in Future World?) and at least GotG fits the futuristic/space traces of themes that remain in Future World. And lord knows the park could use a few new E-ticket attractions, so I'll see a splashy new GotG coaster as a good first step.

I don't mind Nemo in Future World. At least he's breathed new life into a pavilion that was in need of a major refresh. 80s sea base was kind boring by 2000.

I just don't see how GoG fits anywhere into Future World. Problem with Epcot is that the two E-Tickets are right next to each other, and one of them is not a fan favorite. Then there's the odd love affair with Soarin'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter