Guardians to replace UoE and Ratatouille coming to Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.
The service is only a year old. Rewind time to 2008 in Netflix’s 2nd year as an online streaming service and you’d laugh at the notion that they’d still be in business in 2020 let alone have close to 300,000,000 subscribers. It took them 5 years to have their first original piece of content. There is ALOT of room to continue to grow for Disney that worrying about whether or not they keep those Verizon trials beyond that date is not an issue they’re worrying about

It took guts to launch a streaming service then because much of the US did not have internet speeds above 10 MBps However streaming was ancillary to their prime business of mailing DVD’s

I just cannot see D+ succeed under Disney as it will need constant capital investment to keep up with demand as endpoints get faster links. Where traditionally Disney invests capital and milks it beyond its economic life (monorails, space mountain, people mover, toy story...) and lets face it Disneys record with tech aint great.

Disney would have been far better off doing a ‘private label’ streaming service with someone like Netflix,Amazon or Akamai actually running the service.

None of this has to do with the topic of this thread.

that said nothing CBS has interests me. Disney+ does lack in original content right now but that will come. Lots of stuff coming this year.

Will it?. Disney’s tech struggles are legendary i’m blown away at how little content they have from their vast library. The only reason i brought up CBS was as a comparison, CBS’s entire back catalog is there and was at launch. Why is Disney unable to put even 10% of their classic material online?

Will it?. Disney’s tech struggles are legendary i’m blown away at how little content they have from their vast library. The only reason i brought up CBS was as a comparison, CBS’s entire back catalog is there and was at launch. Why is Disney unable to put even 10% of their classic material online?

That’s done for 2 main reasons

1. Some of their content is locked into other contractual obligations with streaming services that was made years ago. When the contract ends, they will put it on Disney+

2. Content dumping, every movie, every show, every doc they’ve ever made onto the service day 1 would be overwhelming for many. When you have a system where you drop content periodically, people are more inclined to watch. A continuous fresh slate of content allows to to not go stale. Anastasia for example dropped this week and got a huge boost in social media mentions. That doesn’t happen if it’s lost in a vast array of catalog content on Day 1, same with Sky High

But as Ryan said, this discussion belongs in the Disney+ thread if you’d like to discuss further

That’s done for 2 main reasons

1. Some of their content is locked into other contractual obligations with streaming services that was made years ago. When the contract ends, they will put it on Disney+

2. Content dumping, every movie, every show, every doc they’ve ever made onto the service day 1 would be overwhelming for many. When you have a system where you drop content periodically, people are more inclined to watch. A continuous fresh slate of content allows to to not go stale. Anastasia for example dropped this week and got a huge boost in social media mentions. That doesn’t happen if it’s lost in a vast array of catalog content on Day 1, same with Sky High

But as Ryan said, this discussion belongs in the Disney+ thread if you’d like to discuss further

Look at what CBSAA is doing with Star Trek. They have now gone something like 20 something weeks with a new episode of a star trek episode being added to the service. I think eventually they want that to be year-round.

With all the talk of new star wars and other series coming to D+ I think they are going to try to do the same kind of thing. When mandalorian ends one season have another show ready to start the next week that appeals to a similar audience like roll from Mando into wandovision.

Look at what CBSAA is doing with Star Trek. They have now gone something like 20 something weeks with a new episode of a star trek episode being added to the service. I think eventually they want that to be year-round.

With all the talk of new star wars and other series coming to D+ I think they are going to try to do the same kind of thing. When mandalorian ends one season have another show ready to start the next week that appeals to a similar audience like roll from Mando into wandovision.

That’s exactly what they’re doing. And that’s just the MCU and Star Wars, that doesn’t include everything else. I had mapped it out a couple weeks ago when the rumor surfaced that at the investors meeting (in 2 days) theyre going to announce Black Widow going straight to D+, and if that comes true, and BW releases in January as I think it should, they’d potentially have an MCU and/or Star Wars release every month of the year, streaming and theatrically

ARGH!! I was hoping that Rat would be February - we're there as of the 18th!

*Fingers crossed* for an early opening!

Last week, Martin a valuable source and Disney historian, dropped this:

"Best chance for 2021 is the second half. But don’t quote me. "

2nd half of 2021 would seem like an awfully long time to sit on a finished attraction. I also think that’d make people even angrier about Tron and Guardians if you’re coinciding the Rat opening with the 50th, when it was done around the 49th. But if Martin’s saying it, it’s probably true

Maybe that comment was referencing something else? March, even though that’s always just been a guess on my end since we realized it wasn’t opening in 2020 would be the best time for them to open the ride. Likely higher crowds for the spring breaks, they probably want to gain crowd momentum heading towards the summer months so they’re not overwhelmed come September/October. And IF by some miracle the other 2 attractions are done by the end of the year, it helps them spread the 3 new attractions out to gain more intrigue for people to make trips down

Maybe that comment was referencing something else? March, even though that’s always just been a guess on my end since we realized it wasn’t opening in 2020 would be the best time for them to open the ride. Likely higher crowds for the spring breaks, they probably want to gain crowd momentum heading towards the summer months so they’re not overwhelmed come September/October. And IF by some miracle the other 2 attractions are done by the end of the year, it helps them spread the 3 new attractions out to gain more intrigue for people to make trips down

He clarified after that it could still be Spring, he was just saying basically if you want to be sure to get on, Fall is your best bet. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter