Gulf State Park Dismeet 2018: Sand, Sun, and Puzzles...

Mike that sounds like a plan. I'm bad with math so if you make it next year you can run the books.

Looks like the weather is holding out so far.

I gave up on the web site and called down. I am booked into site 2 again for next year. Come in Friday May 24th and head home on Saturday June 1.

See everyone next year.

If anyone is interested, we are going to GSP in September this year to make up for having to cancel this year. Checking in Saturday Sept 8th.

j

If anyone is interested, we are going to GSP in September this year to make up for having to cancel this year. Checking in Saturday Sept 8th.

j

I'm interested, Jim. I'm hoping you can provide campground and beach pix with restaurant reviews thrown in... :rolleyes1

Ed

I'm interested, Jim. I'm hoping you can provide campground and beach pix with restaurant reviews thrown in... :rolleyes1
I'll see what I can do. I think we will try taking the ferry over to Dauphin Island this trip. We've been out to Ft Morgan a number of times, but it was always too late to take the ferry and make it back in time. We may look up Randy, Nick and Patrick if we get to that side of the bay. I'll probably do some retirement condo/home shopping. Not to buy now, but get some ideas of what you can really get for your money. Florida panhandle prices are higher than AL, but I think the retirement income taxes are better in Fl. Still putting all the options together.

You know me. I don't like to cook much and I love posting pics and trip reports, so there shouldn't be a problem with eatery reviews and daily updates.

j

j

We are back in October for the girls fall break. Unfortunately September is out due to school schedule.

Randy said there were some 2020 plans Michael should explain.

Dinner looks great!

I suspect it is because of the storm and people cancelling reservations, but I can't access the GSP reservation site today. I started to make reservations for next year a few weeks ago, but didn't. Today, the site keeps erroring out. We haven't deceided where we might go for a big vacation, but a week at GSP with DIS friends is fun and cheap.

j

Fun yes, not sure about the cheap part.

Well glad they are hounding Micheal about those, and not me....

Well we stayed Sunday, enjoyed this shrimp boil, weather was great, and the company was awesome. The couple from across the street joined us for a bit. We toured the campground, with our guide, Randy. We then packed everyone in the truck and headed to the Yard for milkshakes.
We left at 430am central time, and got in to the campground about 5pm Eastern. Traffic was not too bad, a little back up around Chattenooga. Rain started north of Birmingham and lasted all the way here.
Another long day of driving tomorrow, and we will be home.
Saw a fella with a Big Toy Hauler like Randy's he had hit a car on the highway, looked like all the people were ok, but in stopping, he totaled his truck and hauler. Looked like the toy hauler blew the hitch right off it's mount and the toy hauler crushed the back end.

I have a huge update to do from this trip, but it is time for some dinner and bed.

Was great to meet everyone and put faces to all the names, and will make reservations for next year, and of course for 2020.

How was the overheating issue?

j

Today she ran ok, but it was a lot cooler, the outside temp and with the rain. I have to go pop the hood quick and see if I lost any in the last few hours.

So we did loose some more fluid on the afternoon portion of the trip, and that is where we started climbing the mountains again. We will keep a close eye on it tomorrow, as we will hit the big hills on the run thru Virginia. As long as we can nurse her home, we can start to diagnose and get it fixed. All of our other camping trips will be local, usually within an hour of home.

Last edited:

I was hoping to get to discuss this with Ed and get his thoughts on it first before bringing it up.

Since arriving home DW has had another round of terrible blisters from the dreaded yellow flies. She is being a trooper about it, but I can tell she is suffering because it. We had discussed last year pulling out of the May run at GSP due to the reaction she has to the flies but we decided to give it a go anyhow but with similar results. She isn't complaining, but I hate to see it happen. Cellulitis and on antibiotics again. We already have the 2019 reservation for Memorial Day Weekend and week after booked and will be sticking to it, but after that I'm afraid we are going to need to alter our plans and avoid GSP during the yellow fly season. Speaking with the ranger at the park it seems they are bad primarily between April and June and start to thin out about July. As much as I hate to miss out on something that has really picked up some steam I'm afraid I'll have to. Gonna be bad to miss all the good conversation and food.

Your wife sounds like she really loves you. Or the food is really good. ;)That's a lot to go through every year. I hope she recovers quickly.

Goodmorning, After finishing my home chores I checked the weather and headed back down to the camper. We decided to eat out and tried King Neptunes. It was good but very small portions for the cost. Not recommended. We then went to the beach to check out the storm waves. It had rained pretty hard on the way in but was stopped by then. To our surprise the gulf was calm and sun was breaking out west of us.

Last edited:
Sorry everyone had to leave. The rest of the week looks great. Today it is calm warm with a light breeze and partly cloudy. My kids are finally enroute so we'll be at the pool most of the day.

Last edited:
About the discussion hinted at Im willing to try a couple of different places if the timing was right. GSP is in my back yard so it's easy for us to come here and still run home if needed. But the yellow flies are bad and many people can't attend due to the distance. We discussed possibly changing location in 2020. First option is Fort Wilderness and I'm going to discuss that with a travel agent about a group discount and the chance of us getting the same loop or close. Another option is the Smoky Mountains area around Gatlinburg. Other places were also thrown out. Maybe we need to start a new thread for 2020 discussions. Hope I didn't exceed my limits here but people already had a hint.

I don't remember the initial reason we picked Memorial week. If there isn't a specific reason, what about just switching it to July or August. If we don't pick a holiday week, it may be easier to switch for next year. I'd hate to have Michael and Stacy miss next year if we could all change plans.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter