Gulf State Park Dismeet 2018: Sand, Sun, and Puzzles...

My favorite I love the crawfish boil. We are having cedar plank salmon on the grill. Seafood but not the same as the boil.

Dinner looks great!

I suspect it is because of the storm and people cancelling reservations, but I can't access the GSP reservation site today. I started to make reservations for next year a few weeks ago, but didn't. Today, the site keeps erroring out. We haven't deceided where we might go for a big vacation, but a week at GSP with DIS friends is fun and cheap.

j

Jim a lot of people are trying to move to GSP due to other places east being closed due to the storm. I would recommend trying again Tuesday and if it still won't work try calling. Sometimes you have to leave a message and they call you back.

Well, I was finally able to meet some of the famous (or is it infamous) DISBoards camping gurus. @SouthAlabama5er and @Flametamr greeted us at our site just after arrival. I was also honored to meet @PaHunter when I stopped by social life central (Site 20). But the cherry on top of it all was the huge bag crawfish sent my way when I left. Man they were good. My youngest son and I took care of them!

Thank you all so much for making a newbie feel so welcome. On a side note, my daughter just told me they sell those salt guns at her store. I will have one tomorrow to play with. That looked like a tremendous amount of fun.

So sorry I did not get to meet the rest of the gang. Hopefully we will get to hang out a little more throughout the week. Hope I get to meet more from this board in the future.

Tiggerdad, hope you all made it home safely. I really appreciate the heads up that our site was available. I am sorry I did not get to meet you all in person. Maybe next time....

Hopefully so. Glad I could help.

Well, we have made it home safe and sound. Unfortunately 2 days early, but it is what it is. Randy was getting some boiled crawfish together when I was leaving. Hate I missed that. Those boys really know how to cook the shrimp and crawfish.

It was really a good run all things considered. We had good weather each of the days we were there. Not really any different from prior years to be honest. We just had the scare of the TS which thankfully moved further east.

On a bad note, the DW has once again come home with multiple blisters from the dreaded yellow flies which she has a hyper-allergic reaction to. last year she had to be on antibiotics, hopefully this year is not as bad. If so, I'm gonna have to change our GSP visit plans to start coming in after the yellow flies go away. Poor DW has been a trooper enduring this so I could attend the Dismeets. We'll have to watch and see on this one.

I have reservations to return to GSP in early October during the girls' fall break. No yellow flies then so DW can enjoy the outdoors.

I did ride up to Camping World in Robertsdale to give them a second chance. Last year I had a really bad experience on their sales lot. This year was better. They had 2 toy haulers on the lot that I had been eyeing online, but never had a chance to actually get inside of and look around. While I appreciate the salesman helping me out so I could see them, unfortunately neither was what I hoped, so I can scratch them off my potential list.

@grumpyaggie , my wife is inquiring about the recipe for the rice crispy treats you made last night for dinner. Oldest is already into that book you gave her.

Well, apparently while we were gone we had some bad storms here at the house. I have a few trees down that I can see so I need to get some cleanup done I guess. So much for vacation!

Those of you still down there, keep us updated on the activities.

Tiggerdad please share when yellow flies are not at GSP.

I did forget it was summer today and went for a run at 8:30 am and did not think about sunscreen till mile 6 when my arm was feeling warm. It’s not too bad but I won’t forget that again the rest of this season.

Kris, We arrive 11/16 & leave around 1st week of Dec. we are requesting site 903. Do hope to see y’all. Hope things are going better this week.

We have traveled as far as Lafayette KOA. Traffic was lite until we reached Louisiana & it picked up with a good rain around Baton Rouge. We have approx. another 4 hours of driving in the AM & we will be home. Let us know the dates for next year so we can get our reservations made - site #3? Missy & Susie have slept since we left GSP. Disneydadof5 glad you made it to the Park & hope to meet you next year. Randy your crawfish feast looked great!! sorry we missed it. Be safe & as Tiggerdad said keep us informed on how y'all are doing. Can't wait for next get together!!

Glo,

The dates are usually starting anytime before Memorial Day Weekend to anytime up to the weekend after. It's not hard and fast. People come around MDW and stay as little or as long as they want to. I've come in on the Tuesday after MDW before. People leave based on work schedules and travel distances. It's just whatever works.

And I agree with you. I think next year we lead with the crawfish boil on the first night all/most are there. It sure did look good!

Ed

PS - glad to hear you had a good travel day

Bama Ed, thank you for the info. Grumphyaggie said when we get home. He will get our reservations done for 2019.
Tiggerdad so sorry you have lost some trees from your storm. Hopefully not too many. We are getting close to Lake Charles & s/b home close to1:30. Missy woke us up early. Our alarm clock. Weather great & so far not too hvy traffic.

GSP Update. Still no rain yet, at least since yesterday afternoon. They say it's coming, but so far so good. Going to head out and get some lunch. Today is going to be a big ole do nothing day.

eesh! :earseek:

That's a good deal, Denise, but that puzzle has a LOT of plain ol' green space that would be heck to figure out.

And a 1,000 pieces no less. :scratchin

Another thing - it's the Disneyland Haunted Mansion and not our Florida one. There is a Thomas Kinkaid (sp?) puzzle with the DL castle that I've passed on because it's not the Florida castle.

I bagged up the one we'd started on Saturday and may save it for next year's DISMeet 4 (do we need to name these like the Star Wars movies? :darth: ).

Ed

20180528_120729.jpg
Well we are managing to ride out this storm, doing pretty good so far. Grilling hamburgers and hot dogs for lunch.

Hated to see everyone pull out early, Patrick (JD251) Ashley and I are hanging in. Chris hope yall have a good safety uneventful trip back north. I never heard that Volvo this morning.

Michael feel free to explain to everyone our thoughts on the 2020 trip plans,

Glad everyone has made it home safely and hope there was no damage except the downed trees Michael. As Randy said he took a break while the crawfish were cooking and we ambushed Mike (DisneyDadOf5). We made the proper introductions and left. Great meeting him and look forward to him returning next year.

As for us. I had to come home for the night regardless of the storm to take care of stuff for my oldest daughter. I left the camper in place and I will be back this evening or tomorrow early. Then it will be sunshine, pool time and bike riding for the rest of the week.

Speaking of next year. On a whim I posted about our Dismeet on a Facebook page Disney Mouse Campers and got several responses. I may have increased our crowd numbers for next year and I hope everyone is okay with that. The way I see it the more the better except for managing the food quantity. But I think our gang can meet the challenge. That's all for now, Joe

Glad everyone has made it home safely and hope there was no damage except the downed trees Michael. As Randy said he took a break while the crawfish were cooking and we ambushed Mike (DisneyDadOf5). We made the proper introductions and left. Great meeting him and look forward to him returning next year.

As for us. I had to come home for the night regardless of the storm to take care of stuff for my oldest daughter. I left the camper in place and I will be back this evening or tomorrow early. Then it will be sunshine, pool time and bike riding for the rest of the week.

Speaking of next year. On a whim I posted about our Dismeet on a Facebook page Disney Mouse Campers and got several responses. I may have increased our crowd numbers for next year and I hope everyone is okay with that. The way I see it the more the better except for managing the food quantity. But I think our gang can meet the challenge. That's all for now, Joe
Joe Like I said on FB we charge admission and have a sports book for the Gator Rasslin to help ease the pain of Mrs Tiggerdad's guided Outlet shopping excursions

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter