Hagrid's Coaster Queue Updates / Questions / Reviews

You can make the same statement if someone did VQ all day only to not be able to get onto the ride at all. The only good thing about VQ is the fact that you'd get to go on other attractions while "waiting". If anything goes wrong, it might lessen the blow to someone if they hadn't waited all day in line, but it might mean something to someone else. Especially if the attraction, let's say for example, was running smoothly all morning, or even into the afternoon and just as it was your turn it's down for the rest of the afternoon, or evening. I'm sure a lot of people would kick themselves if they had a chance on it if they just waited in the first place. Also, regular queues get a "ruby pass" if they close the ride, where as I doubt someone who waited in the VQ wouldn't get the same privileges. They'd have to either way, or VQ the next day.

It's just my opinion that you cannot have a VQ if the ride is as unpredictable as Hagrid's. On top of that, it will essentially make another queue and get even longer if there is a delay, so what's the point? I do not know how great VQ is for VB, but when I stayed at CB only a couple of months ago, I consistently saw lines outside of my hotel room of people waiting in line for this "virtual queue" for water slides. Granted wasn't that long of a wait, but the whole point is the fact that you're allegedly not waiting and in that case, they still were. When the parks first opened the lines were even longer and ridiculous due to the popularity and newness of the park. So, honestly, if you really think about, it wouldn't more than likely wouldn't work regardless. Disney clearly has a different method than Universal does.

VB's virtual queue is not comparable to what Hagrid's virtual queue would be. At VB, once you are in a virtual queue you can't enter another queue. You need to hang out in the wave pool/lazy river or find a ride that has no line at that time.

Personally, doing a VQ similar to how Disney did for ROTR to me would be ideal, but it has its own negatives.

Many people complain about ROTR VQ because all of the boarding groups are distributed within 30 minutes (or faster) of park open. So unless you do a really early show up for rope drop, you won't get a boarding group and you will have zero chance to ride.

With no VQ for Hagrids, even if you get there mid-day, you will still have the option to ride if you're willing to do the physical wait.

Agreed the Disney way seems better, but does have it's down side too.

Either way, Hagrid's needs to get it together before Universal wants to attempt anything else. They need to focus on getting the ride running smoothly and deal with the crowd control as is, not having to think of another creative ways to make things more complicated in my opinion. It's debatable whether it would be a good, or bad thing, but either way, it would still be another learning curve for TMs and guests, another thing to maintain and keep an eye on. I just personally believe It's best to utilize it's efforts in maintaining what they have now. All good points. I just think TMs have plenty on their plate.

Last edited:
Hagrid's has a huge queue which really helps the crowds out outside of the ride. ROTR does not have a large queue, which necessitates the boarding pass system. It sucks but I get why they don't do virtual line with Hagrid's. Maybe they could do it on lower crowd days as a test though. What I don't get is why they are so stingy with ruby passes and emptying the queue when the ride is going to be down for an extended period of time. It's just poor customer service.

i would love a VQ for hagrids. Get my group when i enter the park in the AM, go and ride some rides in the meantime. If it breaks down while i'm in the line that would be VERY unfortunate but also the wait may only be a few minutes. Compared to having to wait a few hours currently.

The ride is definitely unpredictable operationally but they could start with a number of boarding groups-low ball it-that they believe they will be able to accommodate in one days operational hours. Like wouldn't hurt to underestimate it. I'm sure they could run up some statistics about how many people get on the ride on an 'eh' day and if its 80 boarding groups (really just a number thrown out) then they can release back up boarding groups with the note that you may not be able to ride today if you are in groups 81 and on. just like ROTR.

would i be upset if i was group 90 and couldn't get on? what if i was group 45 and still couldn't get on? well of course. But i would be much more upset if i wasted 2+ hours IN THE LINE and still couldn't ride it.

and if there comes a time where they call boarding groups 20-25 and mid way through that group, the ride hits an operational error or a rough weather patch, those guests can wait it out in line, they can exit and try a little bit later while they are still in their boarding group window or however they see fit. And any one in boarding groups 26 and on wouldn't necessarily know about the issues that are going on..for better and for worse. They would just see what is currently boarding.

i also don't believe that the other rides would be busier because of a hagrids' VQ is that big of an issue. i personally never have had an issue riding what i want to ride in a day. Even when i waited 4 hours for Hagrid's a few weeks after it opened. Granted i usually travel with adults, we use SR, we have an extra hour in the morning, etc.

i definitely want the VQ to be a thing in the future but unfortunately feel like it won't happen.

I'd love to know the behind-the-scenes discussions. I'm sure no one is happy with how things have gone. Having a high-demand ride is positive pr, but not a ride that has constant operational issues. There's obviously a huge psychological difference between waiting in a long line for something that is SO amazing that it has a very long line, and waiting in a long line to possibly ride something that breaks down a lot. Last year, I was in the single rider line for Gringotts during a short operational delay, noting how quickly Universal got things back on track compared to another park (not Disney) that had operational issues and gave the impression that they were not even trying to get the rides going again.

There are no real solutions until it's reliably operational. It seems like anyone in line should get a ruby pass if there are more than minor delays, but then too many ruby passes wrecks havoc with the lines for the rest of the day and into the next day, from what I've read and heard.

As others have said, there are pros and cons to a VQ, especially when its impossible to calculate the number of guests likely to ride per hour. I don't like the idea of a ride being entirely VQ, with no option of waiting in a standby line.

I'm just selfishly glad that I will be there after the holidays are over and the wait times become more manageable again, not to mention being fortunate enough not to have just one or two days in the parks. And I appreciate all the data provided on this thread.

On the ground update: Yesterday’s wait times (as expected) were through the roof - 6 hours in the morning, then 3.5-4 most of the rest of the day.

This morning, the EE crowd lined up until 9, when the park opened and the ride was supposed to start. The app showed a wait time of 3.5 hours at 8:50.

At 10, the status changed to delayed. Soon after, closed. It’s after 4 now and still closed.

I know many have had good luck getting to experience it, and the ride has been up more consistently lately, but it still has serious operational issues. I really hope it gets better by next year, as I’d like to ride it someday.

OTOH, touring in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley during EE have been FABULOUS.

While the new ride might attract some people to Universal, surely I can't be the only one to react to these stories by holding off on going to Universal altogether at least until the ride is running smoothly without the regular breakdowns, and quite possibly until it accepts the Express passes.

We rode this morning. We got to the park around 7:40 am for an 8 am EE. We did not run and got in the Hagrid queue first thing. By the time we made our way near Hogsmeade we could hear it running. This was probably around 8:15-8:20. The line moved fairly well, but we didn’t make it onto the ride until 9:45ish. We got off, walked to the front of the park to ride Hulk, and as we walked by a sign it was closed. I’m pretty sure not many rode after us. We felt pretty lucky as we had to leave for our flight around noon.

I’m pretty sure not many rode after us. We felt pretty lucky as we had to leave for our flight around noon.

You were lucky! We saw it had reopened as we got off the RPR boat around 6:30. 90 minutes wait at that point. We walked (not ran) to Hogsmeade and by then it was 120. Got to the end of the line at 7, just before the indoor queue. We were off by 8:50. Sign said “Ride Full” and the app said “At capacity”.

In Hagrid’s workshop, a family joined the line right behind us. They also were in the morning line, but not so lucky. They arrived at the park at 7:20. They got all the way to that last room (the noisy room) ... and waited... and waited. By 1 pm they were back in the parks and hadn’t ridden anything yet.

It was a cool ride. During high crowds 2 hours seem reasonable for some reason. But not more! Looking forward to Express Pass.

While the new ride might attract some people to Universal, surely I can't be the only one to react to these stories by holding off on going to Universal altogether at least until the ride is running smoothly without the regular breakdowns, and quite possibly until it accepts the Express passes.

Holding off going to Universal during busy times might be a good idea. We were there right before Christmas and rode it with under an hour wait several times.

OTOH, touring in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley during EE have been FABULOUS.

Sorta off topic and what not but went to rope drop this ride in October. I chose not to ride but, 6 others in our group lined up for the multi hour wait. I turned into the pack mule holding everybody's stuff, fine so I walked off through Jurassic Park. Because EVERYONE was going to Hagrid's, for about an hour it felt like I had the entire back side to Islands all to myself. Pictures of Cartoon Lagoon, Jurassic Park and Marvel with completely empty sidewalks. Every ride on that side was a walk on. It was crazy.. then all the people began flowing in and I was like, where'd ya'll come from?

Currently in line, and I think this is the slowest the line has ever moved.

I've gotten in line when it started near lockers and it was only 90 minutes.

Started wayyy further up and I'm not even inside after 80 minutes

Hasn't been any announced breakdowns either

We are going February 1st through the 8th and our goal is to hit Hagrids first thing in the morning now that IOA added EE for the 2nd. Fingers crossed as this will be one of few rides DH can do and is looking forward to. He doesn't do well with the VR type rides which inhabit most of USO and IOA.
A little bummed with the shortened hours that week but crowds look on the lower scale

We are going February 1st through the 8th and our goal is to hit Hagrids first thing in the morning now that IOA added EE for the 2nd.
Ohhh, where are you seeing EE for February? I'm only seeing US as listed for EE through the end of January. Where can I find the February schedule? TIA!

Well, maybe I am jumping ahead then. My Touring Plans account was updated with those hours. Nothing on Universal site so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Ohhh, where are you seeing EE for February? I'm only seeing US as listed for EE through the end of January. Where can I find the February schedule? TIA!

You can find EE hours for February in the Universal Orlando app under the Park Hours And Direction tab. Go to the park calendars, and you can check each date individually. It shows February 1st and 2nd as EE for IOA, but no other dates in February. All dates in February so EE for USF.

Reactions: CJK
Having done both Hagrid’s and RotR this past week, I’ll take the former’s standby system over the latter’s virtual queue any day.

For our Hagrid’s day: arrived for normal park opening with Hagrid starting at 300 min wait. Knowing the time usually drops later in the day, we did what we wanted at USO and then a late breakfast at Hard Rock Hotel. Headed over to IoA and decided to jump in line for Hagrid’s with a posted 210 minute wait. We had hoped our experience from months ago still held - that the Hagrid wait times were inflated by as much as double. That was not the case and it was still a solid 3 hours in line. Looks like the wait times have become more accurate. A few stops and starts, but no break downs. They were pulsing the preshow room with smaller than usual groups as the standby line afterwards was almost backed up to the preshow area. Came off the ride and, despite several hours in line that we probably wouldn’t repeat, agreed it was worth it. We knew what we were getting into and it still delivered.

For our RotR day: up at 5:45am to get over to Hollywood studios and wade through thousands of guests packed in for a 7am opening when the RotR boarding group lottery would go live. Technical glitches with the Disney app and couldn’t get through for a few minutes when the lottery opened - a few minutes in we had success, but barely avoided the back-up boarding group cut-off. Essentially, all normal BGs were gone for the day in less than 5 minutes. We left right after - because all of the people there headed to rides and many opened with 90+ min standby times and eliminated any rope drop advantage as all the people in the virtual queue dispersed elsewhere. Spent the day rearranging plans and checking status to see if we would be called. Finally we were around 5pm, when we had to get back to the park and get in line - where we waited in line another hour before hitting the pre-show elements that start the ride. Exiting the ride 90 minutes after getting in line, we all agreed that while we were glad we did it, we would never do that again so long as they’re running the virtual queue.

FWIW - we had our own challenging experiences with Hagrid’s the week after it opened - twice standing in line over an hour and suffering breakdowns while never making it over the bridge (and getting soaked by summer rains in the process). Didn’t make it onto the ride until a few months later on another visit. The standby experience has been frustrating at times but we still found it easier and better to plan around than the experience with the VQ system for RotR. With the VQ, most people seem to focus on the benefit of being able to go do other things instead of waiting in line. What’s overlooked is how a VQ can negatively interfere with what you can do or plan for that day, as well as the overall impact on park experience with all the guests tethered to the park via VQ and essentially in two places at once.

I should probably read the 77 pages of this thread and find the answer to my question but instead I'm going to appeal to you all's good nature.

What is your opinion regarding the best strategy for riding Hagrid's? We live about an hour and a half away and have annual passes so a failed attempt wouldn't bother us too much since we can always come back, but we don't have EE. We were there almost at park opening Thursday and the wait times were already three hours long. I can't go that long without needing a bathroom!

I'm hoping wait times will get better as the holiday season draws to a close but I still fell like I need a plan.

I should probably read the 77 pages of this thread and find the answer to my question but instead I'm going to appeal to you all's good nature.

What is your opinion regarding the best strategy for riding Hagrid's? We live about an hour and a half away and have annual passes so a failed attempt wouldn't bother us too much since we can always come back, but we don't have EE. We were there almost at park opening Thursday and the wait times were already three hours long. I can't go that long without needing a bathroom!

I'm hoping wait times will get better as the holiday season draws to a close but I still fell like I need a plan.

Seems to depend on when you go. We were there on Dec 11-14 and rode 5 times waiting less than 45 minutes each time. We just watched the app, never did rope drop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter