• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Half Marathon - Train with me for Jan '11 - ...Shock - an update! 4/06! new pix

I just got my Magical Express documents! The great irony here is that I didn't get them for our trip in December or January when I needed to check luggage and could have really used the luggage tags. This time I'm not checking anything (unless FL has really bad weather again) because I'm only going to be there for 2 nights.

What was up with no Magical Express stuff in Jan?!? I was ticked at Disney going in but it wound up working out great for me. I bumped up to 1st class for my flight so my suitcase was one of the first two off of the plane at MCO and I had it to take with me to my room when I arrived at POFQ. So, fortunately, no hassle and all was good. But I did see several others at ME check-in that hadn't received their documentation prior to their arrival either.

But it is ironic that you finally get your stuff in the mail the one time that you don’t need it.

Sandy: When's the TR going to begin? popcorn::

Just read this... Great write up! It ALMOST makes me want to run. LOL

SANDY- Hope everything is going well! I'm following too many TRs right now and I'm trying to catch up. When you starting the '11 PTR?

Better question: When is she going to start the '10 TR? ;)
(or if she has... can someone please direct me to the link? I'm linkless)

Just read this... Great write up! It ALMOST makes me want to run. LOL

SANDY- Hope everything is going well! I'm following too many TRs right now and I'm trying to catch up. When you starting the '11 PTR?

Almost being the operative word, my friend!! :lmao:

Hi All,

Sandy, so glad to hear about DH's job! President wants to also put a hiring freeze on NASA for three years and not support our mission to explore. I had such high hopes with this program. I am tired of Government leaders not supporting NASA, we are less than 1% of national budget and to me that seems like cheap insurance for our children or children's children future. Also, I think we become smarter and stronger by trying to acomphlish things that have never be done. Also, private industry does not want to go to the moon or Mars, because there is no profit to be made. They'll take our tax money and deliver nothing. Can you tell that this one of my hot buttons? Off my soap box, now!

Lisa, sorry to hear you are having foot pain. But way to go, getting back. We get a certificant for the 1/2 Marathon?

Maroo, get well soon !!!!!!!!!!!

Dolce27, how was the doctor's appointment?

Me, I started walking and jogging a little with my son, JP, last week at 5:30 in the morning. It was cold but we only did a couple of miles each day. I was stiff after the first few days, but am looking forward to running/walking in warmer weather. Not sure about next year. I am starting a new adventure in March 2010, going to be a full time Mom and possibly start preparing for a State teaching Certificate. Still unsure on that one. It's a little scary for me, because I've had a job since I was 14. I should have more time to write you guys.:)

I still let ME pick up our bags even though I didn't have the ME luggage tags. It worked just fine, but I was kind of nervous about that. You just have to give the ME people your luggage claim ticket from the airline.

Sandy has started her report and it is right here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2382418.

Just found it and was coming over to post the link. Thanks for beating me to it.

Dolce27, how was the doctor's appointment?

Well, maroo isn't the only person on this message board currently "grounded" by doctors. I have been told "No running." I'm not even allowed a quick 3 miles right now. The actual doctor - I didn't care much for. I later found out that his philosophy is that I should just quit running. But he's learned that people that complete marathons are stubborn runners and don't like that advice. :rolleyes:

There was a physical therapist, David, who I saw first before the doctor came in. The doc turned me over to him. I met with David at the therapy clinic at 6:00 yesterday morning. It was basically a free session to go over everything. He discovered that my left SI (I think it's called SI) cuff was rotated forward causing my left leg to be slightly longer than the right which may have contributed to the IT band injury - more pressure/stress on the left leg.

Using a series of muscle resistance techniques, he managed to rotate the SI cuff back into place. He showed me how to properly use a foam roller and then he took out these metal tools which he used on my knee to start breaking up the scar tissue from my injury. Needless to say: I have one gigantic bruise on my knee and my IT band has hurt non-stop since yesterday.

I have to go back for 4 sessions of physical therapy - he wants to do 2/week for two weeks total. He thinks that should be enough. I had to clear everything with insurance yesterday. It's still going to cost me a bit of $$$ for those four sessions but I look at it this way, I have two options: Option 1: cut out long distance for who knows how long - perhaps ever? :confused3 It's been 3 weeks since I last ran and the IT band isn't showing signs yet of wanting to heal on its own. Option 2: pay $$ and work with a physical therapist to heal and rehabilitate my knee and run distance again ... hopefully as soon as a couple of weeks.

I go in at 6:30 Monday morning for a full consultation with the physical therapist that owns this clinic and then I'll be turned back over to David to set-up the four sessions. Hopefully those four sessions will be enough to heal my injury.

I'm such a thread killer. I've managed to kill this one, Sandy's TR, maroo's PTR, my thread. I'm scared to post on Jenny's TR today. I'm certain to kill that one as well. :sad2:

I'm such a thread killer. I've managed to kill this one, Sandy's TR, maroo's PTR, my thread. I'm scared to post on Jenny's TR today. I'm certain to kill that one as well. :sad2:

Post away! I'm not scared;)

You could post on mine! I'm working from my blog first, so hopefully you posting on my TR will not kill that too! ;)

I'm still here, too. I've just been preoccupied with such important decisions like, should I join the campus rec center or not; what should i make for dinner, etc.

Dolce, it sounds like you have a good PT, which is much more important than having a good doctor, in my opinion. Hopefully you will see some results quickly and will be back to running in no time.

As for me, I did 8 miles yesterday on the campus rec center track - that's 40 laps. I almost lost my freakin' mind. But, it was warm and dry and that's why I am considering joining. It is only $29 a month for faculty/staff to join and then I would have access to all of the machines (including a power plate which I love for stretching). But, it just seems so silly when I have a treadmill at home and the weather will be improving soon. I have to commit to 6 months and I think that is my biggest hang up.

I went to the high school track and tried to do 8 miles yesterday. The wind made the whole experience no fun. I realize I need to do an out and back course and make sure that I keep going out until I reach the half way point. Then I have no choice but to complete the workout.

oh no!

It isn't you!!!

It is all my fault.

I am crummy sick. Still sick. :(

I will get back to my threads here eventually.

You could post on mine! I'm working from my blog first, so hopefully you posting on my TR will not kill that too! ;)

I'll have to check it out tomorrow. :thumbsup2 I promise to be good and not be a thread killer. :rolleyes1

I'm still here, too. I've just been preoccupied with such important decisions like, should I join the campus rec center or not; what should i make for dinner, etc.

Dolce, it sounds like you have a good PT, which is much more important than having a good doctor, in my opinion. Hopefully you will see some results quickly and will be back to running in no time.

Oh! I thought of you yesterday. I went again for the official eval now that insurance has cleared and the guy mentioned something about ART. So I guess that they are trained in that. I'm waiting to hear back when my first official therapy session is. I may need to call them tomorrow. For now, I need to go and ice. That's my homework assignment: ice, ice, ice!

oh no!

It isn't you!!!

It is all my fault.

I am crummy sick. Still sick. :(

I will get back to my threads here eventually.

Still not well? :guilty: I hope that you're much improved and will be well soon. :hug:

I'm here. :wave2: again.

Sandy hasn't been around, anyone have any ideas?

Tim, hows the running. You know you want to join us in 2011. :thumbsup2

Elizabeth - tell your DH you want your certificate. Or I will tell him tomorrow night. He should have received it in an email.

somewhere[/I] - - would you believe he is considering OUTSOURCING NASA projects? Seriously. Do we want our Space Program outsourced to China?

(that and DH is working as a sub contractor for NASA- so if it gets outsourced, dh is out of a job... AGAIN!)

We may have to write our congressmen/women... do not outsource NASA, the space program is a good thing ( velcro- - so many every day items have come from the space program... besides walking on the moon!) keep the jobs in AMERICA...

keep us posted and I will do whatever you need (as long as it is legal:rolleyes1) to help.

I am a wimp in minus zero degree temps!
:worship::worship::worship: that you even tried to go out.:worship::worship::worship:

won't let me post unless I put something outside of the quote.:upsidedow

Dolce, have you had an ART session yet? How is the Graston stuff working? I've never had that done, but my friend says it has helped a lot with her PF.

I wimped out and ran inside today. The problem with living in central IL (well, one of many problems) is that we tend to stay right around 32 degrees. So we get a few inches of snow, it sort of melts, and then freezes, and we end up with a skating rink all over town. I will run in cold. I will not run on ice. So, I hit the track at the campus rec center and did 9 miles, which is 45 laps. I have vowed to do my 10 miles outside next weekend. I can't believe the princess half is only 4 weeks away!

That's about all I have to report. Hoping to see everyone else (Sandy) check in soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter