Halloween Time Superthread 2019: "Oogie Boogie Bash" Party to Be Held in DCA ONLY! and Other Halloween Time Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
62A0E738-97DE-4839-8CF8-233209FBBAE3.jpeg 4306F828-2832-4D0F-8D6C-E18C3CFF99DF.jpeg
Yeah, characters at Disneyland tend to be a lot more fun to me than at Disney World because of the more personal, interactive nature.
We were at DL for the first time Dec 27-29 and had a unbelievable time and decided we had to go back for Halloween. Our granddaughter had so many magical experiences with characters and was able to be with the captain on the ferry boat. It was just amazing. You can definitely feel the difference in the character M&Gs.

Thanks for the reply’s. I was just wondering how different the characters would be compared to WDW. Our family are huge M&G people so we usually will do two parties. One for characters and a few other things and then the 2nd one for what ever else we want to do.
Also in DCA during non-party times you will see like the Fab 5 all dressed up in their Halloween costumes near the center where you branch off to go to other parts of the park. Kinda like the hub in DL but much smaller. Near trolley treats. Every year I've seen goofy dressed as a ghost, Donald dressed ad a devil, Daisey as a witch etc. I like taking pics of all the characters in costume. At last year's Halloween party they had the chipmunks dressed up in skeleton costumes and Winnie the pooh dressed as a bee etc.

Just a friendly reminder that tickets go on sale tomorrow for DVC, AP, etc. I'll try around midnight CST but after that, off to bed.

I won't be able to purchase tickets until the 30th. I'm hoping to go on Halloween and I hope they don't sell out before I get my chance!

Just a friendly reminder that tickets go on sale tomorrow for DVC, AP, etc. I'll try around midnight CST but after that, off to bed.
I'm buying mine tomorrow but not waiting up for midnight as I don't think it is necessary. DL doesn't sell out of stuff like WDW does so, I feel pretty safe. They won't even sell out same day. Or at least they haven't in the past anyhow.

I won't be able to purchase tickets until the 30th. I'm hoping to go on Halloween and I hope they don't sell out before I get my chance!
Honestly I think you will be okay. I am only buying mine to lock it in as that's the only date I can go so, why not.

Does this mean that HM won’t close in August to install the Halloween overlay?

I was wondering if both parks will follow the same closure dates. If so they must have a huge crew. Did watch a special on ABC over Xmas that had section devoted to the NBC overlay history, very enjoyable.

The NBC overlay isn't MHP specific -- it is for all of Halloween Time through the end of Holiday Time -- so HM should still go down in August for the overlay installation. Since Halloween Time begins 9/06, I'm guessing that HM should go down 8/19.

I respect your opinion but, at the risk of it being self serving to me arrive 8/27 lol, it seems rather odd tothey won’t have 2 of the most popular rides (HM & SpaceMt up running during D23 convention :confused3when many big wigs will be in attendance.

Thanks. That's a bummer - we'll be there at the end of August, first time in three years, and HM was closed for refurbishment then (Feb. 2016) too! Oh well!

It’s been 3 years for us too but last trip beginning of Oct, it was a joy to see how DL rolls for the holiday.

Last edited:
... I respect your opinion but, at the risk of it being self serving to me arrive 8/27 lol, it seems rather odd tothey won’t have 2 of the most popular rides (HM & SpaceMt up running during D23 convention :confused3when many big wigs will be in attendance...
No one said that SM won't be running during Expo -- SM shouldn't go down for its overlay until after Labor Day Weekend in September. In fact, I've said that (and other posters have, too) in different posts a few times. That overlay takes only a couple of days to complete (unless there is more repair work to go along with it), so it can wait until September. As for HM, do a search (here or on Google) to see whether HM was running when Expo was held in August. It has been held in August several times in the past, and I don't recall it interfering with HM's overlay schedule. You can also do a search here for past Halloween Time Superthreads to see when HM went down for its overlay -- usually it goes down about 20 days or so before the first day of Halloween Time.

Last edited:
No one said that SM won't be running during Expo -- SM shouldn't go down for its overlay until after Labor Day Weekend in September. In fact, I've said that (and other posters have, too) in different posts a few times. That overlay takes only a couple of days to complete (unless there is more repair work to go along with it), so it can wait until September. As for HM, do a search (here or on Google) to see whether HM was running when Expo was held in August. It has been held in August several times in the past, and I don't recall it interfering with HM's overlay schedule. You can also do a search here for past Halloween Time Superthreads to see when HM went down for its overlay -- usually it goes down about 20 days or so before the first day of Halloween Time.

I did search, didn’t come up with anything as to past shutdowns during the expo. Nothing produced for me here either but, will give it a whirl later Using the terminology you suggest.

Yes, I do recall the comments re SM having a shorter process for the holiday. Makes sense as less details. Not sure as to whether there have been definite trends in the past as to ‘when’ it is worked upon in that general time period.

I will go with the 20 day period you reference being an established guideline overall though. DL is admittedly rather unfamiliar territory for me all the way round. Slowly, I will ‘get it’. Thank you for your patience.

... Yes, I do recall the comments re SM having a shorter process for the holiday. Makes sense as less details...
Imagineers have joked that they can do the digital part of a SM overlay in an hour -- that's how good they've gotten with the technology! They joke that it takes longer to change the signage outside the ride.
As for HM, the refurb date will be posted eventually -- probably around late June or July. As usual, you'll see it posted on this board when the official date gets announced. If it is as early as 8/19, at least you'll be prepared. (Which is the reason I post the earlier date -- people planning August trips need to be mentally prepared for this possibility.) If the date is later, then that will be pixie dust.

Mansion closing dates for overlay that I could locate:

August 20, 2018 to September 6, 2018
August 28, 2017 to September 14, 2017
August 22, 2016 to September 8, 2016
August 24, 2015 to September 10, 2015
August 25, 2014 to September 11, 2014
August 26, 2013 to September 12, 2013
August 27, 2012 to September 13, 2012
August 29, 2011 to September 15, 2011

2009 D23 Expo was in September, so I left that date off.

With Halloween Time starting on September 6 this year the Mansion going down August 19 does seem very possible to me.

Imagineers have joked that they can do the digital part of a SM overlay in an hour -- that's how good they've gotten with the technology! They joke that it takes longer to change the signage outside the ride.
As for HM, the refurb date will be posted eventually -- probably around late June or July. As usual, you'll see it posted on this board when the official date gets announced. If it is as early as 8/19, at least you'll be prepared. (Which is the reason I post the earlier date -- people planning August trips need to be mentally prepared for this possibility.) If the date is later, then that will be pixie dust.

Absolutely all better to be prepared. Seems like DL does tend to give shorter windows into this sort of thing, driving this commando wild lol

Has anyone had any luck purchasing tickets early with just the Disney Visa? I can’t seem to find a place to purchase tickets without being an Annual passholder.

Has anyone had any luck purchasing tickets early with just the Disney Visa? I can’t seem to find a place to purchase tickets without being an Annual passholder.
Did you log into your Disney account and then try processing with your Disney visa? This may work but not completely sure.

I'm on hold on their phone line to try and buy with the Disney Visa. No option to buy with the Visa on the website...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter