Hamilton on Disney Plus this Friday....who's excited!!??

Not a fan. I could only get through the first 20 minutes. Good to note that I dislike modern musical theatre (but LOVE Opera) in first place but that I really tried with this one. Its awful. Couldn't understand a word of it and it was very hard to follow in who the characters were. Can anyone confirm if this was even historically accurate?
Did you at least get to the King's ballad?

So I thought I would hate it because I don’t enjoy period pieces very much, especially from that time period. But I really liked it. Even if you don’t care for the topic, the talent is undeniable. Lin’s voice isn’t for me, but he is amazing and his mind is incredible.

He's the weakest link voice/acting-wise, but he wrote the whole thing so I give it a pass.

By the way, you want a real shock when it comes to historical accuracy in musicals based on real people, check out the story behind the Von Trapp family in "The Sound of Music". I was pretty surprised to find out that NONE of the kid's names in the show were accurate. The real Von Trapp kids were named Rupert, Agathe, Maria, Werner, Hedwig, Johanna and Martina. In the show these names were changed to Friederich, Liesl, Louisa, Curt, Brigitta, Marta and Gretl.

By the way, you want a real shock when it comes to historical accuracy in musicals based on real people, check out the story behind the Von Trapp family in "The Sound of Music". I was pretty surprised to find out that NONE of the kid's names in the show were accurate. The real Von Trapp kids were named Rupert, Agathe, Maria, Werner, Hedwig, Johanna and Martina. In the show these names were changed to Friederich, Liesl, Louisa, Curt, Brigitta, Marta and Gretl.
Ha, and that's the least of the inaccuracies on that one. Still one of my all time favorites though!!

Watched for the first time last week and LOVE it. I'm watching it again now. Can't believe people are trying to cancel it due to racism. :rolleyes:

https://www.city-journal.org/future-of-hamilton-musical

Yeah, that's a puzzle. There were few people in the late 1700s and early 1800s who weren't racist, according to our standards. Even abolitionists who wanted to free the slaves didn't necessarily see them as equals.

Last edited:
So I thought I would hate it because I don’t enjoy period pieces very much, especially from that time period. But I really liked it. Even if you don’t care for the topic, the talent is undeniable. Lin’s voice isn’t for me, but he is amazing and his mind is incredible.
Y’know, I finally got to watching it this morning and felt the same way! I saw it on tour (in LA/Hollywood- I think Eliza) and thought that Hamilton was much better. Mind you, he was trained to be a singer/dancer and Lin’a forte is definitely writing

Tried watching it. But it is a musical and me and musicals just don’t go together. LOL

Finally had an opportunity to sit down as a family and watch it. I was already pretty familiar with the soundtrack because older DS listened to it a lot about 3.5 years ago. On a recent vacation, we listened to it on the road trip so my 13 year old would not hate it when we finally watched it, lol. It was nice to see visuals with the audio I've been hearing for these past few years. Had no clue that Thomas Jefferson would be so animated -- loved it! Kind of grossed out re: King George -- I had to Google it to see if it was on purpose, but apparently Jonathan Groff is known for that. Yuck. I'll never think of Kristoff in the same light.

Just a look at Chernow's biography should be a clue that even every detail in the book cannot possibly be covered in a stage production. When making an adaptation for stage and screen it's rare that it can go down every rabbit hole of the source material.

Initially I had a hard time wrapping my brain around the concept of the show when I heard about it. When I watched the PBS Great Performances episode about the making of the show was when I understood that all the gushing I was hearing about in the media didn't really capture the research, attention to detail and hard work that had gone into the creation. Seeing it performed by a magnificent cast made sense of the media gushing at the beginning.

So...

20 days after the cancelHamilton petition was started; asking for 400 signatures - it has 385. Still short of what they wanted.
Initially I had a hard time wrapping my brain around the concept of the show when I heard about it.
I read the book when it first came out. I hate to admit that while reading it I didn't think, "This would make a great Broadway musical!"

Maybe that's why I'm not a Tony winning writer....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter