• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hard Pass on Riviera Resort

lobby area I felt like I was at a very nice Westin or a very average Ritz Carlton. A nice hotel for sure, but not a Disney Deluxe resort.
Cuirous - did the common areas seem big enough? All the Vlogs and stuff I've seen makes the lobby, gift shop, primo, and even the pools seem VERY small, surprisingly so for a resort with so many units.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I always withhold my judgment on new things until I see them myself. I am iffy on the Skyliner, so not sure we will check out Riviera on our next visit unless I book the character breakfast at Topolino.

I love that there are different styles and formats of DVC resorts. Everyone has different preferences. While AKV is beautiful, the villas are way too dark for us. We prefer light and bright villas - from tours I’ve seen, Riviera would fit the bill for us.

For us as DVC owners, an enormous and soaring lobby isn’t very important to us, but the actual villas are. And we actually like the more intimate feel of the lobbies at places like VGF and SSR (our home resort). For us, the smaller, intimate lobbies like VGF, SSR and even BLT feel different than the typical Disney deluxe experience, and to us, feel more “DVC.”

I love DVC because there is something for everyone. We have stayed in a number of DVC resorts now and have learned what style we like (and what we don’t.) I don’t know if Riviera will be for us, but we may try it someday.

Seemed quite small to me in the common space, that’s a big part of my concern.
For us as DVC owners, an enormous and soaring lobby isn’t very important to us,

That's not really the issue. The concern is that if there isn't enough space, they get extremely crowded. For instance, people seem to love the main pool at POR. It's nice, but woefully inadequate on a hot summer day for a resort with 1900 rooms. Last time we were there, you couldn't move 2 feet without bumping into someone (it was BAD; this is not the usual dis exaggeration). With all those villas and a small lobby with attached coffee bar, I can see that getting *extremely* overcrowded. Same for the breakfast area. I bet that tiny "main" pool is a crowded mess next summer, too. Time will tell, but common areas and amenities need to be big enough to service the guests, and RIV seems awfully skimpy in those areas. Clearly they squeezed in a few more units to maximize profit. I bet it wouldn't be that way if it were a mixed use property, either. But it is what it is. Obviously not everyone will care, but my guess is that some do (will).

Since when are S&D moderates?!? Pricing, location and amenities say otherwise. Oh and the description on MDE 🙄
Swan and Dolphin is most definitely a moderate. I can book it right now in June for $220-$250 a night. Actually the last time we went to Disney we stayed cash at a moderate resort and I was trying to convince the wife to stay at the Swan and Dolphin to save some money over the moderate resort, but she didn’t like the bland look of the resort and also that it was a conference resort.

It’s good you had the opportunity to get to walk around the resort and decide it isnt the right DVC resort,

DVC is way too expensive since not to be happy with what one buys. I went over on the 18th to walk around and fell in love with it. While I didn’t see the rooms either, I did enjoy all that I saw. It is the style that I enjoy and loved the little library area off the lobby.

But, as already mentioned, DVC has so many different resorts that everyone will find the perfect fit!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience. I always withhold my judgment on new things until I see them myself. I am iffy on the Skyliner, so not sure we will check out Riviera on our next visit unless I book the character breakfast at Topolino.

I love that there are different styles and formats of DVC resorts. Everyone has different preferences. While AKV is beautiful, the villas are way too dark for us. We prefer light and bright villas - from tours I’ve seen, Riviera would fit the bill for us.

For us as DVC owners, an enormous and soaring lobby isn’t very important to us, but the actual villas are. And we actually like the more intimate feel of the lobbies at places like VGF and SSR (our home resort). For us, the smaller, intimate lobbies like VGF, SSR and even BLT feel different than the typical Disney deluxe experience, and to us, feel more “DVC.”

I love DVC because there is something for everyone. We have stayed in a number of DVC resorts now and have learned what style we like (and what we don’t.) I don’t know if Riviera will be for us, but we may try it someday.

A bigger concern for me then the lobby is the Skyliner. It’s one thing to be at AKL which is a bus only location but has its own zoo to entertain you - it’s another thing to be heavily reliant on a transport system that Disney seems to have poorly designed and otherwise be in the middle of nowhere. Time will tell, I really hope it works because it’s a fantastic idea that could be incorporated throughout the parks and take some of the strain off of the buses and monorail.

Swan and Dolphin is most definitely a moderate. I can book it right now in June for $220-$250 a night. Actually the last time we went to Disney we stayed cash at a moderate resort and I was trying to convince the wife to stay at the Swan and Dolphin to save some money over the moderate resort, but she didn’t like the bland look of the resort and also that it was a conference resort.

Based on Disney's categorization, it's a "Deluxe Resort." Whether or not it is priced or feels that way, I'm not sure...

Also, Riveria has two pools and a kid "fountain" play area. According to a Tim Tracker's video the largest pool (the one with the small slide) is only 4ft. deep at its deepest point. It only has the one small slide as well, and the pool doesn't even look that large.

The other pool is smaller and is meant to be more of an adult pool. The kid play area does not look entertaining. There is also one hot tub that is not overly big at all. The pool areas aren't really themed either. They are just normal looking pools. All of this is quite disappointing.

I also don't like how many different resorts have relatively easy access to this resort. I wonder how many drop ins will happen.

Nope. It’s a deluxe resort 🤷🏼‍♀️

By every single measure (the Resort amenities) the Swan and Dolphin are “Disney Deluxe”. That they aren’t operated by Disney and so don’t have the ridiculous Disney corporation pricing should be applauded. It is in no way indicative of the stature of the Resort compared to Disney owned and operated resorts. Staying at a Disney moderate vs Swan Dolphin is generally paying the same for less. The business conference aspect is certainly a factor in the decision however. The price being less? That’s a plus or Swan/Dolphin. You don’t have ME though but pricing can offset that too. It all just depends. They certainly are Disney Deluxe though.

Cuirous - did the common areas seem big enough? All the Vlogs and stuff I've seen makes the lobby, gift shop, primo, and even the pools seem VERY small, surprisingly so for a resort with so many units.

I didn’t think it was small. I only saw the one pool and it seemed like it was similar in size to one of the SSR pools, and the quiet pool at BWV. But I was on the outside.

It was certainly bigger than the BLT lobby. I did walk into the QS place and it seemed to be okay size.

Also, Riveria has two pools and a kid "fountain" play area. According to a Tim Tracker's video the largest pool (the one with the small slide) is only 4ft. deep at its deepest point. It only has the one small slide as well, and the pool doesn't even look that large.

The other pool is smaller and is meant to be more of an adult pool. The kid play area does not look entertaining. There is also one hot tub that is not overly big at all. The pool areas aren't really themed either. They are just normal looking pools. All of this is quite disappointing.

I also don't like how many different resorts have relatively easy access to this resort. I wonder how many drop ins will happen.

There are signs that pools are only for guests and DVC can not pool hop. They do require magic bands to enter. Granted, that doesn’t mean people wont try and sneak in, but they could do what happened to me last Memorial Day at BWV. They scanned my band, saw I had a reservation with 2, and gave us each a paper wristband.

I am hoping they will monitor.

There are signs that pools are only for guests and DVC can not pool hop. They do require magic bands to enter. Granted, that doesn’t mean people wont try and sneak in, but they could do what happened to me last Memorial Day at BWV. They scanned my band, saw I had a reservation with 2, and gave us each a paper wristband.

I am hoping they will monitor.
I totally think they will monitor the pools. They have to especially with Caribbean Beach next door and with a walking path to Riveria. I doubt though, that they might monitor it as hardcore as at BVC. Although, the Riveria pools aren't nearly as exciting to look at as at BCV.

Looking at the pools, it doesn't seem like enough pool space for even the resort guests. Time will tell though.

I am more concerned with the resort possibly being busier since it is so accessible to park guests and other resort guests. It is literally a stop on the Skyliner, so why not get off and look around? Perhaps that is part of DVC's plan in having it placed there. Just like they advertise the MK resorts on the monorail now they can do the same on the Skyliner for Riveria. Although, the park monorail doesn't stop at the resorts, the Skyliner does stop at Riveria making it a quick get off thing to do.

We liked Jambo a lot (Kidani was lovely but way too much walking for us) and would consider it but-for it being so reliant on busing. I think we would do resale at Copper Creek, Bay Lake, or GF if we go that route. And I agree about the Skyliner, I had high hopes but I think I will stay off it for a good 5 years as they figure it out.

But Copper Creek is reliant on buses for everywhere except Magic Kingdom - and the boat to MK is slower and arrives less often than the bus.

We were at wdw last week. We were apprehensive to add on. However after seeing the room in person and testing the skyliner (we had no issues) we added on. I’ve seen many videos and pictures online but seeing it in person helped us with our decision. Things break down. One can say the same for the monorails. We took both monorails and the skyliner and felt the skyliner was a better mode of transport and more efficient. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It’s best to see it in person and make your own judgement. We also own at ccv which is night and day theming. We love the skyliner and we tested it out knowing it can breakdown however riviera resort has its own dedicated buses as well and doesn’t share with other resorts. The mk resorts buses they share with another deluxe. We have two little ones and love the ease of traveling with the little ones on the skyliner than the monorail. We feel more cramped in the monorails.

I totally agree with you on viewing in person definitely is way better. Our home resort is CCV and I love it! My entire family loves it plus the ease of going to MK. How many points did you add on if you don’t mind me asking? I was carefully doing the math of annual dues and RR is the highest so far. We already have 350 point and I was willing to add more since our family grew and we are avid Disney goers. Just like you I did love the resort watching all the videos and I am convincing my self to add on to it. Carefully evaluating everything.

Every resort at Disney has a negative Riviera seems to be more of a target.
Transportation issues ....well yeah they all have their failings so useless argument
Rooms ... Issues they all have them ...only studios, lockoffs , etc
Theme.. Is this a joke what theme do you speak of it always returns to the wilderness lodge probably because it has that rustic ski lodge look. Poly removed the lobby rainforest waterfall and bland.. bland is being nice in a descriptive form .. SSR if that has a theme other than chapter 40B then let me know

We could go on and on about negatives try some positives

Nice Room - AKV, OKW
Great Firework Views - BLT, Poly
Easy access - BC, BWV(Epcot), SSR(disney Springs) BLT(MK)
Nice Boat ride - OKW, CCR

If you can't afford something or are looking for others to provide you a reason not to buy something
it generally has nothing to do with the item itself but more to do with resources.
Don't try to let other people influence your decisions use research to guide you and make your decisions wisely and let them stand with merit. Your decisions even bad ones are easier to swallow when they are yours and no one else's.

I totally agree with you on viewing in person definitely is way better. Our home resort is CCV and I love it! My entire family loves it plus the ease of going to MK. How many points did you add on if you don’t mind me asking? I was carefully doing the math of annual dues and RR is the highest so far. We already have 350 point and I was willing to add more since our family grew and we are avid Disney goers. Just like you I did love the resort watching all the videos and I am convincing my self to add on to it. Carefully evaluating everything.
We just became dvc members last October so barely a year. Initially we bought 150 ccv and added on 75 there in May. I thought we were done from there as I also just purchased gcv resale. I never thought I would add on at riviera because I didn’t care for the theming that much however when I sat the skyliner and actually viewed the rooms in person, we added on 125 points before the dec 16 incentives expired. Since I’m within my 10 day window I just emailed my guide to let her know I’m changing from 125 to 175. After staying in one bedroom at ccv it’s hard to not have the kitchen or the laundry in the room. So I rather have some extra points so I have points to book one bedroom whenever and if I ever book studios I can stretch my points but it also gives me ample room if they ever reallocate points I wouldn’t be upset I didn’t buy enough etc if ever the time period we travel became a higher point travel. I honestly feel one has to see riviera in person not based on video or pictures to cross judgement. I would highly recommend you check it out... you might like it and it may help you decide if you truly want to add on. I honestly didn’t expect to add on at riviera until I was there to see it in person.

We just became dvc members last October so barely a year. Initially we bought 150 ccv and added on 75 there in May. I thought we were done from there as I also just purchased gcv resale. I never thought I would add on at riviera because I didn’t care for the theming that much however when I sat the skyliner and actually viewed the rooms in person, we added on 125 points before the dec 16 incentives expired. Since I’m within my 10 day window I just emailed my guide to let her know I’m changing from 125 to 175. After staying in one bedroom at ccv it’s hard to not have the kitchen or the laundry in the room. So I rather have some extra points so I have points to book one bedroom whenever and if I ever book studios I can stretch my points but it also gives me ample room if they ever reallocate points I wouldn’t be upset I didn’t buy enough etc if ever the time period we travel became a higher point travel. I honestly feel one has to see riviera in person not based on video or pictures to cross judgement. I would highly recommend you check it out... you might like it and it may help you decide if you truly want to add on. I honestly didn’t expect to add on at riviera until I was there to see it in person.

Thanks so much for sharing the info, after hearing this I am leaning towards adding on to RR. I guess this adding points is addictive once you are a DVC member. We did the same after we bought our contract, I waited and added more points (guilty) was then but not anymore since my little ones love Disney so much <3 not my husband hahaha! but he enjoys the break when we are there. Our first trip as a DVC member was so exceptional that even my husband doesn't feel bad adding more points to it. I know a lot of people we came across laughed saying we could have invested that money towards our kids' college since for them paying that much amount of money plus dues every year adds up to 500k in 50 years but they don't understand the quality of service and experience we get vacationing as DVC member. We had so many vacations and nothing can compare to the quality of DVC. I won't be surprised down the line if I end up having more than 1000 points :)

By every single measure (the Resort amenities) the Swan and Dolphin are “Disney Deluxe”. That they aren’t operated by Disney and so don’t have the ridiculous Disney corporation pricing should be applauded. It is in no way indicative of the stature of the Resort compared to Disney owned and operated resorts. Staying at a Disney moderate vs Swan Dolphin is generally paying the same for less. The business conference aspect is certainly a factor in the decision however. The price being less? That’s a plus or Swan/Dolphin. You don’t have ME though but pricing can offset that too. It all just depends. They certainly are Disney Deluxe though.
What are the resort amenities you associate with a deluxe?

I put it on par with the moderate Coronado Grand Destino Tower. A similar conference focused hotel with similar amenities. Calling it a deluxe on par with the Grand Floridian or the non Disney Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton is a stretch. Just because someone puts the label Deluxe on it doesn’t make it so. Not to make it all about money, but a true deluxe hotel would charge a deluxe price, otherwise your just running a bad business model. Does anyone think that the reason Swan and Dolphin is not charging the $500+ a night other deluxe resorts charge is because they are being nice?...or is it because it’s really a moderate resort charging a moderate price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter